• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 Selectees from Ghana

Ill need your opinions on this..
A friend who also won asked for my advice on this name issue. Her Surname is Foofoo-Booboo First name is Nana Ama. But her name appears on wassce certificate as 'Foofoo-Booboo Nana A' otherwise all other docs are OK. (so there's a firstname truncation)

I advised her to add this name 'Foofoo Booboo Nana A' as an additional name used on ds260. (With hyphen off since ds260 rejects hyphens).

@Britsimon @SusieQQQ

I'd personally think it's clear the WASSCE certificate just uses a middle initial rather than a middle name and wouldn't bother listing it as an additional name.

Ill need your opinions on this..
A friend who also won asked for my advice on this name issue. Her Surname is Foofoo-Booboo First name is Nana Ama. But her name appears on wassce certificate as 'Foofoo-Booboo Nana A' otherwise all other docs are OK. (so there's a firstname truncation)

I advised her to add this name 'Foofoo Booboo Nana A' as an additional name used on ds260. (With hyphen off since ds260 rejects hyphens).

@Britsimon @SusieQQQ

The name on the WASSCE is probably with a comma - 'Foofoo-Booboo, Nana A' which signifies it is a lastname, firstname middle initial format. So - unless she has ever used the 'Foofoo-Booboo Nana A' in some other circumstance, she should NOT list it as an other name used.

The name on the WASSCE is probably with a comma - 'Foofoo-Booboo, Nana A' which signifies it is a lastname, firstname middle initial format. So - unless she has ever used the 'Foofoo-Booboo Nana A' in some other circumstance, she should NOT list it as an other name used.
Oops...Well I just checked my own wassce, there's no comma. And my friend maintains her name appears like this 'Foofoo-Booboo Nana A'. I understand she was forced to truncate her first name in highschool because school database name field had a character limit. So its clear she used the name like this in high school?

Oops...Well I just checked my own wassce, there's no comma. And my friend maintains her name appears like this 'Foofoo-Booboo Nana A'. I understand she was forced to truncate her first name in highschool because school database name field had a character limit. So its clear she used the name like this in high school?

It is amazing just how bad the standards of record keeping are in Ghana....

I'd personally think it's clear the WASSCE certificate just uses a middle initial rather than a middle name and wouldn't bother listing it as an additional name.
I just want to be careful because she says she has NO middle name. And I assume she ticked NMN on edv. So I want to analyze this as a first name truncation. We've been talking for a long time now

I just want to be careful because she says she has NO middle name. And I assume she ticked NMN on edv. So I want to analyze this as a first name truncation. We've been talking for a long time now

To me, irrespective of first or middle name it seems obvious it's an abbreviation i.e. Initial used rather than full name. This is not uncommon practice.

I've been reading trough this thread from Ghanaian winners. I notice that the issue of mistakes on the order of the different names matters. As for me,this help me to remember the order of my names in the EDV entry and DS260. Actually,in the french background,the order of names are quite different from the English one. In my documents(birth cert and passport) it is written A B C. But when entering the eDV,I wrote it like C A B, been confused with the difference between the surname and given name. The same happened when filling my Husband and kid's DS260 forms. Can someone tell me if this can be a disqualifying issue? Or the CO can overlook the mistake?

I've been reading trough this thread from Ghanaian winners. I notice that the issue of mistakes on the order of the different names matters. As for me,this help me to remember the order of my names in the EDV entry and DS260. Actually,in the french background,the order of names are quite different from the English one. In my documents(birth cert and passport) it is written A B C. But when entering the eDV,I wrote it like C A B, been confused with the difference between the surname and given name. The same happened when filling my Husband and kid's DS260 forms. Can someone tell me if this can be a disqualifying issue? Or the CO can overlook the mistake?
just to be clear on this. will you be having your interview here in Ghana?

OK.
if the Co understands how the order of names appear in your country, then you might be ok
Of course, if he's interviewing in his home country, the COs should understand their naming system, provided same names on passport and birthcert are used on ds260

OK.
if the Co understands how the order of names appear in your country, then you might be ok
Of course, if he's interviewing in his home country, the COs should understand their naming system, provided same names on passport and birthcert are used on ds260

The CORRECT advice is to make sure the DS260 has the correct legal name.

hi guys..i have been selected for further processing.....2017AF00013****
and ineed your help on some issues
1.what other document can i use to register since my passport is not ready
2.About my name order eg first name is David my surname is Asare .WAEC always put your surname first before First name making Asare David.so its like that on my waec certificates.But on my Birth cert it is David Asare my passport is will be David Asare.
Do i need to start worrying?

hi guys..i have been selected for further processing.....2017AF00013****
and ineed your help on some issues
1.what other document can i use to register since my passport is not ready
2.About my name order eg first name is David my surname is Asare .WAEC always put your surname first before First name making Asare David.so its like that on my waec certificates.But on my Birth cert it is David Asare my passport is will be David Asare.
Do i need to start worrying?

1. Select other travel documents to enable submit your DS260 form now while you wait for your passport to become ready.

2. The embassy in Ghana is aware of the name order on WAEC documents. So that shouldn't be an issue assuming your listed your name correctly on the eDV registration form to start with.

1. Select other travel documents to enable submit your DS260 form now while you wait for your passport to become ready.

2. The embassy in Ghana is aware of the name order on WAEC documents. So that shouldn't be an issue assuming your listed your name correctly on the eDV registration form to start with.
Im greatful for the early reply...thanks

hi its me again..
1.I have an additional name on my voters ID card and National ID. Do i need to state it in OTHER NAMES YOU ARE KNOWN OR HAVE BEEN KNOWN IN THE PAST?
..2 Also We dont use zip or province/state in Ghana
Please help me?

hi its me again..
1.I have an additional name on my voters ID card and National ID. Do i need to state it in OTHER NAMES YOU ARE KNOWN OR HAVE BEEN KNOWN IN THE PAST?
..2 Also We dont use zip or province/state in Ghana
Please help me?

1. Yes, list the name(s)

2. That's okay, leave those sections blank

ok thanks@ som1smom.
but was wandering that ;so far as i wont use my Voters or National ID in any of the DV process,and also that name does not appear on any of my official document ...there wouldnt be a much need to list it ?..... OR?

ok thanks@ som1smom.
but was wandering that ;so far as i wont use my Voters or National ID in any of the DV process,and also that name does not appear on any of my official document ...there wouldnt be a much need to list it ?..... OR?

Regardless of whether any of those documents will be presented or not, you are required to list any other name(s) you've ever used. Failure to do so could cost you the visa you're applying for. A background check will be carried out on you, if that name turns up in the course of the background check (and you haven't listed it), they will wonder at what else it is you're hiding or trying to hide.

You've been told what should be done, now go ahead and decide on what you want to do.