• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

The case of the OP is slightly different from what you've described though, he's not planning on going back home, he's planning on leaving the US with the intention of coming back to do AOS. I agree they don't typically turn everyone back, but they do not take kindly to someone coming in on a NIV to do AOS.

Yep understood - and that is the risk...

Hi, I graduated from my master program in May 2014 and my OPT just got approved. I am allowed to work from 07/07/14 till 07/06/15 in the United States and my case number is 2015AS00014XXX. I have several questions:

1. Should I do AOS or CP? Since it’s pretty high number, I may be able to do AOS by the end of fiscal year. If I apply for AOS, am I allowed to stay/work in the United States when my OPT is expired?

2. I recently got engaged and going to get married in the next few months. My fiancée is having a F1 student visa with CPT at the moment, and she is planning to apply OPT after her graduation (May 2015). Can she apply as derivative in the AOS after we are married? Is that going to change her F1 visa? Is she still allowed to work under OPT in the United States ?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, I graduated from my master program in May 2014 and my OPT just got approved. I am allowed to work from 07/07/14 till 07/06/15 in the United States and my case number is 2015AS00014XXX. I have several questions:

1. Should I do AOS or CP? Since it’s pretty high number, I may be able to do AOS by the end of fiscal year. If I apply for AOS, am I allowed to stay/work in the United States when my OPT is expired?

2. I recently got engaged and going to get married in the next few months. My fiancée is having a F1 student visa with CPT at the moment, and she is planning to apply OPT after her graduation (May 2015). Can she apply as derivative in the AOS after we are married? Is that going to change her F1 visa? Is she still allowed to work under OPT in the United States ?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1. "Should I do AOS or CP?" - sorry, your call! Can't tell you which one to pick. Assuming you opt to process AOS, if you include an application for an EAD card and it get's approved, then you can continue working with the I-485 based EAD card when your OPT expires until your AOS application gets adjudicated.

2. If you get married before submitting your I-485, yes she can enjoy derivative benefit from your selection. Her F1 status remains unchanged. Of course if she tries to apply for OPT after the submission of your AOS application, the OPT application may not get approved.

Hi, I need some help and advice please.
1- I filled my DS-260 form and posted online 3 weeks ago for my wife and myself. My case number is 2015EU000160xx. From what I read on numerous websites I couldn't understand whether it is a good number or not. Since my son had won DV lottery back in 2009 and had his interview in the US (AOS) in less than 2 months I was wondering when I would get a notification for an interview.
2- My wife and I carry B1/B2 visas. Will there be any problem for us entering the US in the meanwhile? Some people told us not to go, some say "no problem at all". I am really confused here.

Thanx in advance

Hi, I need some help and advice please.
1- I filled my DS-260 form and posted online 3 weeks ago for my wife and myself. My case number is 2015EU000160xx. From what I read on numerous websites I couldn't understand whether it is a good number or not. Since my son had won DV lottery back in 2009 and had his interview in the US (AOS) in less than 2 months I was wondering when I would get a notification for an interview.
2- My wife and I carry B1/B2 visas. Will there be any problem for us entering the US in the meanwhile? Some people told us not to go, some say "no problem at all". I am really confused here.

Thanx in advance

Your number is good - low enough to be certain of going current - probably around Feb/March next year.

Yes you can enter - but you may have to show good evidence of your ongoing ties to your home country to convince the immigration staff that you intend to leave. Those questions are not always asked at POE - so you should be fine.

2. As long as you file AOS and receive the NOA notification from USCIS prior to expiration of your G4 visa, you can remain in the US even if the visa expires before your application is adjudicated.

Hey Mom,

There was somebody with UN worker's visa in 2013, I don't remember the details but she had mentioned that she needed some extra steps before applying for AOS, do you know for sure G4 visa can do AOS like the rest?

Franko is in the US at the moment on a visa waiver ESTA after submitting forms.

AFAIK, people in US with visa waiver program cannot do AOS. Am I missing something?

I won the DV 2015 but I just realized that I make an error. I am presently a college student and this definitely means I graduated from high school with a certificate and diploma and that qualified me to play the DV. but why filling in the form earlier, on the education side, instead of me clicking high school, I click on some graduate courses. They reason for this was due to the fact that my spouse is presently doing his graduate courses. what do you thing will be my status? will I be invited for interview after I have fill in the DS 260 form and do you think I will get a visa? I dont want to waste my money since my family size is large.

Hey Mom,

There was somebody with UN worker's visa in 2013, I don't remember the details but she had mentioned that she needed some extra steps before applying for AOS, do you know for sure G4 visa can do AOS like the rest?

AFAIK, people in US with visa waiver program cannot do AOS. Am I missing something?

I didn't say Frank was doing aos

Hey Mom,

Yep, there's a couple more forms people on G4 visas are required to file as part of their AOS process:
  • I-360 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status - this is probably the other step the 2013 person you're referencing is talking about, although this can be filed concurrently with the I-485 (not 100% sure an I-360 is required to be filed by DV selectees)
  • I-566 - Interagency Record of Arrest
  • I-508 - Waiver of Rights, Priviledges, Exemptions and Immunities.
Regarding my previous response which you quoted above though, it is still accurate in terms of the question the OP asked.

I didn't say Frank was doing aos

I didn't pay attention apparently.

Yep, there's a couple more forms people on G4 visas are required to file as part of their AOS process:
  • I-360 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status - this is probably the other step the 2013 person you're referencing is talking about, although this can be filed concurrently with the I-485 (not 100% sure an I-360 is required to be filed by DV selectees)
  • I-566 - Interagency Record of Arrest
  • I-508 - Waiver of Rights, Priviledges, Exemptions and Immunities.
Regarding my previous response which you quoted above though, it is still accurate in terms of the question the OP asked.

Thanks for the info. I knew there was *something* just couldn't remember what it was.

Thanks a lot guys for this additional info cause we too are on G-4s so have to fill all these forms out. I am the principal on the G4 but my contract is supposed to end in October 2014, so right on time for when we will be current God willing (2015AF13XX). If my contract is renewed then my husband will file on his own because the UN asks u me as the principal to either get the green card or give up the job. They don't impose the same to spouses so my husband can file for the green card. We will decide which way to go when my contractual situation resolves itself next month. Thanks a lot

AOS applicants only needed to submit DSP-122, (while those doing CP had to submit both DSP-122 and DS-230) in the past to inform KCC of their intention to do AOS. The 2015 DV Memo I posted somewhere above indicates that questions from DSP-122 and DS-230 forms were integrated into creating the DS-260 form applicable to DV selectees, so I'm guessing there's a section where one can indicates where they wish to be interviewed.
Yes there is. If at the time you entered the lottery you said you reside in the u.s. When you start filling in your ds-260, it will ask if you want to file as AOS if you are still present.

As long as your husband gets a new I-20 before the expiration of the 60 days grace period, you guys should be fine.
I am in a similar situation. My visa expired last year December, but my I-20 is current till next year december. And I am planning on aapplying as AOS. Do I still qualify? Case 2015 AF000051XXX

Can anyone who has successfully completed and submitted the DS-260 advise if there was a specific section to indicate that the green card is being pursued via Adjustment of Status?
Yes, if at the time you entered the lottery you put your current residence as a U.S.A address, at the beginning of the application of form ds -260, it will say if you are still present in the u.s, would you like to file as AOS or CP. So you can choose.

Hi mom and everyone else. Hope your week is off to a great start. We will be filing out DS 260 next week. Just to remind you, husband was elected and I am listed as spouse. My contract situation at work (G4) is still in limbo. Contract expires on Oct 31, 2014 but I could get an extension. Frankly my preference is to secure my green which has been a long time dream for my husband and I. My question has to do with filing the DS 260: where they ask if spouse (me) intends to immigrate with husband, we will respond yes as well and where it asks will spouse immigrate at a later date we will respond no, as we intend to immigrate at the same time. What I want to know though is if that response would allow me alone to abandon the process if I were to be offered a contract extension in the coming months s? Would that be bad and detrimental to my husband's case? Once I give these responses do I have to go through come what may or risk not getting my green card at a later stage, or worst jeopardize my husband as the principal on the DV lottery? Thanks for your help on this one

Hi mom and everyone else. Hope your week is off to a great start. We will be filing out DS 260 next week. Just to remind you, husband was elected and I am listed as spouse. My contract situation at work (G4) is still in limbo. Contract expires on Oct 31, 2014 but I could get an extension. Frankly my preference is to secure my green which has been a long time dream for my husband and I. My question has to do with filing the DS 260: where they ask if spouse (me) intends to immigrate with husband, we will respond yes as well and where it asks will spouse immigrate at a later date we will respond no, as we intend to immigrate at the same time. What I want to know though is if that response would allow me alone to abandon the process if I were to be offered a contract extension in the coming months s? Would that be bad and detrimental to my husband's case? Once I give these responses do I have to go through come what may or risk not getting my green card at a later stage, or worst jeopardize my husband as the principal on the DV lottery? Thanks for your help on this one

You can go ahead with the DS 260 form as planned. If you get a contract extension and decide not to proceed with the GC application by sending in your I-485 package, it shouldn't have any negative consequence on your spouse's application. Since he's the main selectee, he can proceed with his own application alone.

The only thing I'm not certain of though is what impact submitting DS-260 form could possibly have on your G4 visa renewal since it's not a dual intent visa. I'm assuming your employer will need to apply for an extension if your contract is getting renewed or you still have a valid visa past the expiration date of your current contract? So you might want to hold off a bit till you're certain or still talk to a lawyer, ok?