• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Effect of G4 visa on DV

Roselyna

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
I thought I had seen it all until i realised that I could be heading for a big decision. Can anyone help me with the effect of a G4 visa on my DV status?
Is it possible to have any difficulties in the processing of my DV?
Somebody help please!:(

Yes, I have been selected for DV2014 and have a very low CN but waiting to mail my forms later in the year because of my G4 status. I have a G4 visa which would expire in summer 2014.

A G4 visa does not preclude you from processing your DV lottery selection or applying for a GC.

That is quite what confuses me now. with the G4, you don't pay taxes and I've seen people in the organization here who had to give up their GC for G4 visas in order to hold professional positions.
it's fine to have a GC if you are a junior staff, but as a professional, you'll have to give up your GC for a G4. I have the G4 already expiring next summer and have been selected as the principal applicant for DV. I hope you understand my plight?

Urgh, that's tricky. I guess you're going to have to decide whether the job or the green card is more important?

SusieQQQ, that is why I am here. I need help. I still haven't mailed my forms though. I was hoping to push it to exactly after my project in spring, but it seems the project would be on until late summer next year. This is like wanting to eat my cake and have it!

SusieQQQ, that is why I am here. I need help. I still haven't mailed my forms though. I was hoping to push it to exactly after my project in spring, but it seems the project would be on until late summer next year. This is like wanting to eat my cake and have it!

Yeah, it is. It's some tough choice you have to make, and I don't think anyone can tell you precisely what to do.

Having said that, the G4, at the end of the day is still a non-immigrant visa, G4 derivative visa holders are limited in what they can do in the US, having the visa is dependent on continous employment, bla bla bla. Of course your direct earnings are shielded from the crazy tax system in the US.

So yeah, it's like being stucked between a hard rock and a stone. Good luck with your decision.

I agree with sm1smom, this isn't a decision someone else can take for you. My only advice would be to look longterm and figure out which you think is more important for your future.

Thanks Sm1smom, I was hoping I could maybe take the GC with my family and later surrender it for the G4 again, so my family could hold on to theirs. I was hoping again that someone has done that before on the forum or something! The embassy never give definate answers when I ask them. they keep talking about jurisdiction bla bla bla. It makes me quite nervous.

Thanks Sm1smom, I was hoping I could maybe take the GC with my family and later surrender it for the G4 again, so my family could hold on to theirs. I was hoping again that someone has done that before on the forum or something! The embassy never give definate answers when I ask them. they keep talking about jurisdiction bla bla bla. It makes me quite nervous.

So maybe you should talk to some of your colleagues who decided to surrender their GC in the past in favor of the G4 visa and discuss the issues they've had to cope it. One thing is certain, your family members GC is no longer dependent on your maintaining your GC, so the route you want to explore might not be a bad way to go. My understanding is that after holding the G4 visa for a while it's possible to under go an adjustment of status if you decide you want the GC again.

Talk to an immigration lawyer and find out their professional opinion.

So maybe you should talk to some of your colleagues who decided to surrender their GC in the past in favor of the G4 visa and discuss the issues they've had to cope it. One thing is certain, your family members GC is no longer dependent on your maintaining your GC, so the route you want to explore might not be a bad way to go. My understanding is that after holding the G4 visa for a while it's possible to under go an adjustment of status if you decide you want the GC again.

Talk to an immigration lawyer and find out their professional opinion.

Agree re talking to a lawyer.

Thanks guys. I guess a immigration lawyer would be my best bet for now. I usually like to push my luck to it's limits but this one makes me nervous!
I will try and keep an open mind for now without being selfish! Thanx again.

I guess your problem is diplomatic immunity.
High level G-4 status holders are entitled to diplomatic immunity. High level UN officers are entiled to diplomatic immunity, and that is why a GC holder cannot take the position. UN would not allow a person without diplomatic immunity (what GC assumes) to take this type of position.
So, if you really need diplomatic immunity for your job, you have to choose between GC and this job.

G4 Visa

Hello everyone! I would like to ask if anyone had experience for AOS with a g4 visa? I did some research online and basically it seems that in addition to the regular forms, we have to include two additional forms I-508 and I-566 for those with G4. I am just wondering if anyone faced any challenges with the process, and wondering if it is better to do CP.. Thanks! :cool:

CN : 2014AS00013XXX
1st NL Checked : May, 2013
Sent Forms to KCC : Pending
2nd NL : Pending
Medicals : Pending
Interview : Pending
Result: Pending
POE: Dulles