• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

I have heard that some people had to re-take it. I hope it doesn't happen to me, since I live two hours away from my ASC.

There is a brand new USCIS office literally across the street, 150m from my office building! I'm waiting my turn...

New Bulletin is out a week in advance

AFRICA 18,100 Except: Egypt 10,900
Ethiopia 16,700
Nigeria 10,000
ASIA 3,400
EUROPE 10,950
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 2
OCEANIA 600
SOUTH AMERICA
The CARIBBEAN 750

Why Asia is going so slow? 3500 in Jan is not exciting!!

F1 DV2013 winner... Travel plans

Hello Everyone,

Firstly I really want to thank everyone on this thread. I have been closely following this as I prepare for my AOS filing. My case Number is 2013AFxxx4XXXX. I have completed everything related to documentation with KCC, receipt for $330 has been received, and now I am just waiting for my case number to be current.

I had a few questions and would appreciate every help possible:-
1.) When would my Case number become Current? Its a very high number and that makes me concerned.
2.) I graduate in May 2013. If my CN is not yet current, what happens? Can I go ahead and apply for jobs through my OPT? Would this affect my status/ filing process?
3.) I plan to travel to India this December for medical reasons, my visa will not be expired until next summer. Can I still go ahead with my plans? (I was thinking of contacting a lawyer on this, but realized that most of you might have encountered people with such questions)

Any information on this will be really helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
small numbers

Hi Guys, it looks like Africa number is increasing slowly this year compared to last two years, anyone has any idea about the magic formulae of how they make these cutoff numbers? I start to worry about my case. In 2008 , last cutoff for Africa was 62300 (in september).

Bongoboy,
1. Can't really give you an estimate, you would need to analyze the visa bulletins from past years .Even so your analysis would not provide a good estimate as each year is different.The cutoff numbers are based on current demand and usage. All in all you will be current sometime next year and have enough time to process AOS.
2. Either way if current or not current provided you have not received the GC you will need to apply for OPT. Remember you have to be in status when USCIS is adjudicating your case. Check with your school DSO on when is the best time to submit your OPT, might be 2 months before graduation.
3. You can still travel this December, your DSO will need to sign your I-20( thought I'd mention the signing, in case you have never travelled out of the country before).

Bongoboy,
1. Can't really give you an estimate, you would need to analyze the visa bulletins from past years .Even so your analysis would not provide a good estimate as each year is different.The cutoff numbers are based on current demand and usage. All in all you will be current sometime next year and have enough time to process AOS.
2. Either way if current or not current provided you have not received the GC you will need to apply for OPT. Remember you have to be in status when USCIS is adjudicating your case. Check with your school DSO on when is the best time to submit your OPT, might be 2 months before graduation.
3. You can still travel this December, your DSO will need to sign your I-20( thought I'd mention the signing, in case you have never travelled out of the country before).

Thank you Minto64.

Im sure as time goes by, I will come up with more and more questions. I appreciate the quick response.

Entering the US on F1 after submission of forms to KCC

Hello all,
I have been following this forum for quite sometime, it has been very informative.

I have few questions to ask...will be glad if anyone can answer them.
1. My wife is coming back to US in january after a few months stay in her country. We both are on F1 visa. My question is, should we wait until she arrives in US and then send the forms to KCC. I do not want her to have any issues at the border control as she is holding a non-immigrant visa. I am not sure if the border official will have any information about her application with KCC or state department. She won the lottery and our case number is current.
2. Do we need to send form DSP 230 to KCC if we are doing AOS in US? My lawyer has been saying that we need to send the DSP 230 along with DS 122, but I have read so many conflicting information on various websites. I believe that DSP 230 is used only if you are going for a consular processing.
3. We both got married after she won the lottery, do you guys think we may have a problem at the interview?
4. Also anyone has information about proving the J1 home residency stay?

I-485 rejected of my daughter second time

Guys,

my daughter I-485 got rejected second time , it says i need to include I-797 to resubmit.
Now i have received I-797 I will resend it but my concern is if they reject it again stating incorrect fee.
Intially we filed I-485 together so her fee is 635 . Now i am resubmitting her application . Anybody have similar problem like this please suggest.

thanks
actodc00

Hello all,
I have been following this forum for quite sometime, it has been very informative.

I have few questions to ask...will be glad if anyone can answer them.
1. My wife is coming back to US in january after a few months stay in her country. We both are on F1 visa. My question is, should we wait until she arrives in US and then send the forms to KCC. I do not want her to have any issues at the border control as she is holding a non-immigrant visa. I am not sure if the border official will have any information about her application with KCC or state department. She won the lottery and our case number is current.
2. Do we need to send form DSP 230 to KCC if we are doing AOS in US? My lawyer has been saying that we need to send the DSP 230 along with DS 122, but I have read so many conflicting information on various websites. I believe that DSP 230 is used only if you are going for a consular processing.
3. We both got married after she won the lottery, do you guys think we may have a problem at the interview?
4. Also anyone has information about proving the J1 home residency stay?

1) You have to send Dsp 122 and 230 both for each of you. I was advised to the same by KCC. She should not have any problem at the airport. Immigration at airport will only know about her DV after filling 485. We got married after winning too. Just prepare good paper work and take enough evidence with you.

P.S- Plz check if you can still file DSP122/230. I thought last date was 30th sept. Please call KCC and confirm.

When they rejected mine it was because the primary was rejected. In your case I would suggest including copy of I-797 and attaching a cover letter explaining what you have attached and copy of rejection letter as well as the green sheet they sent.

Did you select option b or h for your wife and daughter.

Also I noticed your signature shows 330 for diversity fee. If you are three thought you should have sent 990. Correct signature or confirm?

Hello Minto,

I see you already got your interview appointment letter. Congratulations! Was your letter mailed before your biometrics (date on the letter)? Did they mention in the letter any documents to be taken to the interview?

Thanks,

Pryanik :)

Pryanik777,

Interview letter was sent on 11.05 . I believe the interview date was determined by biometric date. Biometric date was set for 11.14 but we did a walkin and I believe they chose the interview date 30 days after 11.14 hence 12.18

I would suggest that folks do walk in biometrics as provided your local office has not sent you interview letter, when thy finally send it, it will be based on the date you completed the biometrics.

Interview letter only mentioned we carry diversity visa selection letter, visas, all passports and education docs(they mentioned high school docs and college docs for primary applicant). For those on f-1 there is a section to carry all I-20s.

Varxx

1. No you do not need to wait to send docs. As united said, there is no problem with sending it now. For interview just document your marriage and you should be good.
2. You only need to send DSP122. As you state DSP 230 is for those completing consular processing. Would like to correct what united mentions as you can still submit DSP 122. KCC will accept the forms until early August next year.
3. Do not have info on J1 home residency question.

Pryanik777,

Interview letter was sent on 11.05 . I believe the interview date was determined by biometric date. Biometric date was set for 11.14 but we did a walkin and I believe they chose the interview date 30 days after 11.14 hence 12.18

I would suggest that folks do walk in biometrics as provided your local office has not sent you interview letter, when thy finally send it, it will be based on the date you completed the biometrics.

Interview letter only mentioned we carry diversity visa selection letter, visas, all passports and education docs(they mentioned high school docs and college docs for primary applicant). For those on f-1 there is a section to carry all I-20s.

Thanks Minto! I really appreciate your answering my questions. I think in your case their sending the interview letter was not related to biometrics completion because your letter is dated 11/05 which is before you did walk-in biometrics on 11/07. I guess it could be more related to your original biometrics appointment for 11/14 (approximately 30 days later).

Our biometrics are scheduled for 11/19. I was thinking about walking in but we are going to wait until our original appointment, it's just 10 days more. :)

Pryanik :)

Minto64 and United1,
Thanks for the reply!
Actually my wife couldn't get a J1 waiver so went to her country to fulfill her remaining months of J1 two year home residency requirement(HRR). By January she will be done with two years. We did not apply until now because on the form DS 230 it asks if we have any unsatisfied J1 HRR. So we wanted to wait until she gets back. With form DSP 122 I read somewhere on this forum that KCC sends email to winner as well as to USCIS that the DV lottery winner is intending to AOS in US. Border control may have the information once USCIS receives it.
Still not sure if we should wait until she arrives back in US or start the paper work.
What may be the disadvantage if we wait until January? Again thanks for the input

Varxx,
If unsure go with your gut. Sometimes you just never know with the border agents. I do not think KCC notifies uscis, but rather when you send your I-485 package your local Uscis office requests your DV file from KCC. All in all as you mentioned make sure she achieves her J1 two year home residency. Will she have the F-1 visa stamp when she come back?

There is no disadvantage to waiting until January or even later. As you are recently married the more time you have to establish bonafide marriage credentials and documents may be helpful in the long run.

January Cut off numbers

Finally the cut off number started to pick up for ASIA. I hope next month it should be more..... lets pray!

C. ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN JANUARY
For January, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2013 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:
Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA 18,100 Except: Egypt 10,900
Ethiopia 16,700
Nigeria 10,000
ASIA 3,400
EUROPE 10,950
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 2
OCEANIA 600
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 750

Last edited by a moderator:
Minto64 and United1,
Thanks for the reply!
Actually my wife couldn't get a J1 waiver so went to her country to fulfill her remaining months of J1 two year home residency requirement(HRR). By January she will be done with two years. We did not apply until now because on the form DS 230 it asks if we have any unsatisfied J1 HRR. So we wanted to wait until she gets back. With form DSP 122 I read somewhere on this forum that KCC sends email to winner as well as to USCIS that the DV lottery winner is intending to AOS in US. Border control may have the information once USCIS receives it.
Still not sure if we should wait until she arrives back in US or start the paper work.
What may be the disadvantage if we wait until January? Again thanks for the input

My only advice to you will be send in your DSP 122 and DS 230. It will take approx. month and half to receive second letter. Second letter will be only sent by an email. You cannot send in your I 485 packet unless you have second letter. If you are married you need to send DS 230 for your spouse. As far as i know KCC do not send any info to border agent, and even if they do there should not be any problem. DV is awarded by the government, and there is no wrong in it. Border security wont know until USICS update your system, and that will only happen after officially submitting I 485. I am also attaching the email i received from KCC regarding DS 230.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Once you are legally married, you may add your spouse to the case.

To add a spouse, please submit the following to KCC once you are married:

· Copy of marriage certificate with English translation
· Forms DS 230 Part I & II for spouse
· Updated DS 230 Part I for the principal applicant
· Passport style photo of the spouse

If you need additional copies of the forms, photocopies are acceptable or you may download them at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/forms/forms_1342.html.
CA/VO/KCC
Williamsburg, KY
Phone: (606) 526-7500
Fax: (606) 526-7501
Email: KCCDV@state.gov

My only advice to you will be send in your DSP 122 and DS 230. It will take approx. month and half to receive second letter. Second letter will be only sent by an email. You cannot send in your I 485 packet unless you have second letter.

This is not quite correct. One can send in the I-485 package to USCIS without receiving the confirmation letter from KCC provided you're not out of status, your number is current, and you've already paid the DV fee and have your receipt.