• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Hey guys,
I am a DV 2013 winner whose case was current in November 01. I was having some delay getting civil documents so I haven't filed my I485 application till now which means I am scrambling to file it as soon as possible. I have got a bunch of questions:

1. On the I131 Application for Travel Document:

a) Are we applying for an advance parole document or a reentry permit? To clarify my status, I was on F1 visa, completed F1, was on OPT, and currently on H1B.

b) The document states on Part 7 that "On a separate sheet of paper, explain how you qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant issuance of advance parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered. (See instructions.)" What on earth does one write for this?? The instructions ( http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=7d316c0b4c3bf110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD ) state that "If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of a USCIS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment application"

Is the DV fee receipt with the words stamped on it that I got?

2) Regarding passport size photos:

a) I have seen references that state that one should write on the back of the photographs with a pencil or a felt pen one's Name and A number. In our situations, most of us don't have A numbers, so can one write the name, date of birth and possibly the DV case number?

b) We need four photos right? 2 with the I131 and 2 with the I485?

3) Regarding copies of documents: Someone said that one had to send two copies of G325A, I131, I485, I765. Is this correct?

4)Regarding documents to add in the package:

a) I am planning to attach an employment letter from my current work place that states how much I make, when I started etc. Do I need to attach 2 tax returns, W-2s, pay stubs, bank statements etc?

b) Are folks attaching copies of SSN cards?

Thanks in advance!

I think all you need to send with the payment is the 1st notification (selectee) letter. (Come to think of it though, I can't quite remember if I included that letter with my payment or not, since the payment form provides a space for writing the Selectee's CN).

The notification letter you have is not different from what the rest of us have as it does not state the number of dependents (or lack of) that it covers. You should be alright once you indicate the number of people changing status on the payment form. Again, I suggest you wait until your wife returns to the US before making the payment.

Hey thanks again! when my wife applied for the lottery she did not include my name as we were not married then. My attorney says that DOS may not accept check for me as they do not have information about me on their system. So the attorney advised to include marriage certificate and a letter stating we got married after winning the lottery. He is also advising us to send the forms to KCC before sending the fees as it would update the KCC and DOS system and hence DOS would not have any problem accepting our checks. The problem I have is my attorney gives so many conflicting information and also says our case very complicated due to my wife 2 year HRR.
I hope everything works out!!

I certainly support the suggestion by your attorney to send the forms to KCC before making any payment to DOS in view of the fact your wife put in the lottery application while still single - I would do the same if I was in your situation. You may then call KCC to confirm the receipt of the forms (or email which is preferable when dealing with all these government bureaucrats - the downside is that the response may not be immediate). They will most likely say they've received them and they still being processed. Once you're able to confirm the receipt of the forms (without necessarily getting the official 2nd notification), you may go ahead and make the payment to DOS.

If you're certain your wife would have met the 2 year HRR requirement by the time she returns in January, then I really don't see any complication regarding your case. But then, I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong.

However, if you simply want to give yourself some reassurance and peace of mind, then you may just want to slow down and do the processing step by step. That is, you wait till your wife returns to the US, send in the forms to KCC and wait for the official response before making the payment to DOS. This means going through a few more agonizing months of waiting, but you guys will certainly get to be interviewed at the end of the day. Lottery winners doing AOS are known to have been interviewed on the very last day of the applicable fiscal year.

Hey thanks again! when my wife applied for the lottery she did not include my name as we were not married then. My attorney says that DOS may not accept check for me as they do not have information about me on their system. So the attorney advised to include marriage certificate and a letter stating we got married after winning the lottery. He is also advising us to send the forms to KCC before sending the fees as it would update the KCC and DOS system and hence DOS would not have any problem accepting our checks. The problem I have is my attorney gives so many conflicting information and also says our case very complicated due to my wife 2 year HRR.
I hope everything works out!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks united1 and Sm1smom! Do I need to include the marriage certificate and a letter that we got married, when sending the checks, as Dept of state do not have my information?
Varxx,
We were in the same situation as you. I got married after sending Dsp 122. I didn't include marriage certificate or a letter with the check. Just an envelop with our address, cashier check for $660 and the form for payment. It worked fine, and received the receipt back in 3 weeks.

Varxx,
We were in the same situation as you. I got married after sending Dsp 122. I didn't include marriage certificate or a letter with the check. Just an envelop with our address, cashier check for $660 and the form for payment. It worked fine, and received the receipt back in 3 weeks.

United1,
when did you send in the checks and what date you received the receipt of payment? I do not see that information in your signature.

I certainly support the suggestion by your attorney to send the forms to KCC before making any payment to DOS in view of the fact your wife put in the lottery application while still single - I would do the same if I was in your situation. You may then call KCC to confirm the receipt of the forms (or email which is preferable when dealing with all these government bureaucrats - the downside is that the response may not be immediate). They will most likely say they've received them and they still being processed. Once you're able to confirm the receipt of the forms (without necessarily getting the official 2nd notification), you may go ahead and make the payment to DOS.

If you're certain your wife would have met the 2 year HRR requirement by the time she returns in January, then I really don't see any complication regarding your case. But then, I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong.

However, if you simply want to give yourself some reassurance and peace of mind, then you may just want to slow down and do the processing step by step. That is, you wait till your wife returns to the US, send in the forms to KCC and wait for the official response before making the payment to DOS. This means going through a few more agonizing months of waiting, but you guys will certainly get to be interviewed at the end of the day. Lottery winners doing AOS are known to have been interviewed on the very last day of the applicable fiscal year.

thanks for the advise! waiting game is very frustrating

United1,
when did you send in the checks and what date you received the receipt of payment? I do not see that information in your signature.

I have to check my file for the exact dates. I just used the info from this forum, and sent the papers. If you want to browse through page 2-page 6 for the same. I will update my timeline after checking on dates tomorrow. No particular reason for not adding it to my timeline. But just to make sure, we paid our fees after CONFIRMATION from KCC that they received our documents.

Sm1smom,
I totally agree with your suggestion. Your suggestion will be the best option for Varxx.

How to print AOS Eligibility Message from UCIS

Has anyone checked this AOS message as the site reads; "excerpt below"

I am Eligible to Adjust Status, Now What do I do?

If USCIS confirms your eligibility to adjust status you should print this message and take it to your local USCIS office. USCIS will provide instructions on how to proceed. It will not be necessary for you to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) for any further information or instructions if you are eligible and apply to adjust status in the U.S.

Yes, we all are aware of that. What exactly is your question?

If USCIS confirms your eligibility to adjust status you should print this message and take it to your local USCIS office. USCIS will provide instructions on how to proceed. It will not be necessary for you to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) for any further information or instructions if you are eligible and apply to adjust status in the U.S.

I think they are talking about the notification letter.

Medical Exam

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know for how long the medical exam report will be valid? I will most probably be current in February. Can I do the medical exam now in November? What are the tests we have to go through and what vaccinations do we need to have?

Thanks in advance.

Pritu

Sorry I wasn't clear,

My question is this message simply the AOS general rules? or do I need to get an individual letter from USCIS that I am eligible to do AOS after a kind of application or enquiry?

Yes, we all are aware of that. What exactly is your question?

darkelf,

I presume you have not received a response from the forum as not many people apply for travel docs when pursuing the DV.Unless you intend to travel within the next 2-3 months you should just file I-485.(personal opinion).

I notice that you want to file I-765. I hope you are aware that once you use your EAD card you will lose your H-1 status. The EAD Card comes in handy for F-1 students who want to work immediately.

Response to question 1b. You do not need to attach the DV receipt, this is because you are filing concurrently. The section you refer to is if you have filed I-485 and then later on want to file for EAD and travel docs.
In regards to the passport photos, you need four. When you received your OPT card your A# is listed on it. If you do not have one, listed no worries, just write Name and date of birth.

You only need to send one copy of forms.

As a self sponsor you can attach the docs you list but will need to complete an affidavit of support for yourself as these docs are support for an affidavit. Folks do not generally send copies of SSN cards as support .

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you don't need a personalized letter from USCIS. If you're certain you're not out of status (you have an applicable valid visa, unexpired I-20, you were checked at the point of entry, bla bla bla), then you can proceed with AOS.

Send in DSP-122 Form to KCC if you haven't already done that (some people do not see a need to do that, it's your call). KCC will send a notification letter confirming you intention to proceed with AOS.

Sorry I wasn't clear,

My question is this message simply the AOS general rules? or do I need to get an individual letter from USCIS that I am eligible to do AOS after a kind of application or enquiry?

darkelf,

I presume you have not received a response from the forum as not many people apply for travel docs when pursuing the DV.Unless you intend to travel within the next 2-3 months you should just file I-485.(personal opinion).

Well, considering that many people (e.g. Loladvas13) have filed already and haven't got an interview date yet while I am pretty late to the party, I am not very hopeful of getting an interview before sometime early next year. While, I don't know whether I want to travel, I want to keep the flexibility open in case I need to go home for some urgent reasons.

I notice that you want to file I-765. I hope you are aware that once you use your EAD card you will lose your H-1 status. The EAD Card comes in handy for F-1 students who want to work immediately.

I am. Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand if I don't activate the card, I will be still on H1 status. I am getting the card just in case say I have to leave my current firm, I want to be able to not have to force myself to hunt for a job in an extremely short time to remain on H1 status.

Response to question 1b. You do not need to attach the DV receipt, this is because you are filing concurrently. The section you refer to is if you have filed I-485 and then later on want to file for EAD and travel docs.

Ah, perfect. However, I would have to attach the DV receipt along with the whole application right? I mean how else do I prove to USCIS that I have paid the $330 fee?

In regards to the passport photos, you need four. When you received your OPT card your A# is listed on it. If you do not have one, listed no worries, just write Name and date of birth.
Got it, I got four photos. So, I did have an OPT card before I was on H1. Now, it does have an A#. However, from what googling I did and talking to the International Office at my schoo, I believe the A# is something that people who have already filed for an immigrant visa have and not this one. I was planning on putting in name, date of birth, SSN and DV case no. (Probably an overkill :)

You only need to send one copy of forms.

As a self sponsor you can attach the docs you list but will need to complete an affidavit of support for yourself as these docs are support for an affidavit. Folks do not generally send copies of SSN cards as support .

Okay, so would this be the form I-134? I am not clear because I thought that was for a friend or relative to sponsor you. Also, Is this an absolutely necessary document at this juncture if I have already included an employment letter that states that I am gainfully employed and that I make more than their poverty levels etc?

Thanks in advance!