• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is not good is it? and it is becoming less and less over the years...

khayat,
i think it is the economy. many nations are still in recession and has probably hit many aspiring immigrants one way or another. consider ourselves lucky that we can still manage to pay the fees and follow thru till we get our gc. i am quite sure that many winners in the more impoverished countries are not able to afford migrating at this time. if times were good i'm sure usics will be very busy!

hey guys,
I just noticed that I had forgotten to write my case number on the cashier check sent to DOS. it has my name on it and all other documents, the envelope and my receipt were complete and had my case number on it. What do you guys think? have you read about any similar situation any where?
I am gonna call KCC on Monday but wanted your idea.

Thanks

Yeah you are correct about the fact that only 5% of the people who won DV does AOS. However we just cannot say USCIS is completely inexperienced on this matter though. The problem usually arises when your file gets misplaced and you have to call them to ask about the case or if u make the infopass.....then that's gonna be a mis info..pass....but if you are keeping up with the trend and have the good knowledge about the timing then when the file gets to the final destination..that is the FO, the IO looking is mostly experienced on this case....(unless you are in some city in US where the AOS rate is 0). As far as Dallas is concerned, I know there is the IO who handles all the DV cases for the city...so she knows the A-Z....
PS. its always better to prepare yourself for the process than relaying on the experience of the USCIS.. best of luck to ya all
dear all,
an interesting statistic to note ....
only less than 5% of people who won the dv lottery adjust status. that's a high. last year only 1277 applicants adjusted status. so you can imagine how inexperienced uscis is over dv winners doing aos.

here's the link to the dhs' yearbook of statistics
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/yearbook/2009/ois_yb_2009.pdf

Khayat,

I don't think it will be that big of a deal (since it has your name on it). The worst that could happen is they would return it to you and its already been over 2 weeks. Like you mentioned, confirm with KCC, and see if all is good.

hey guys,
I just noticed that I had forgotten to write my case number on the cashier check sent to DOS. it has my name on it and all other documents, the envelope and my receipt were complete and had my case number on it. What do you guys think? have you read about any similar situation any where?

Thanks

Hey guys i don't know how to use this thing and i am freaking out here please give me advice. i recieved my NL letter back in may and i just filed it this august. my case number was AS00033xxx. am i too late? also i didnt know that i was suppose to pay 440$ to DOS. except that i sent everything to USCIS in my i-485 packet. i also didnt send any DS forms to KCC. i am already in the usa and i understood only doing i-485 would be ok. i am planing to send my DOS fee tomorrow and send the reciept to uscis chicago lockbox. hey friends am i doing right thing here or i screwed up my chance plz plz give me advice. thank you all of you.

hey guys,

Thanks

Khayat,

I did the same thing when I sent the additional fee($65), missed to write CN on my check, but they sent receipt within 10days, so I believe it should be ok.

Hey Chutur
First of all, you waited a lot of time to send in any reply to KCC, but it's not too late. Second of all, did you follow the instruction from the link given in you NL? I don't think you did, because if you would you wouldn't have made the mistake and sending the I-485. First of all, what you need to do is send the form DSp 122 +2 photos and the NL you got back to KCC, and then send the payment of $440 to DOS , because the fee changed from $375 to $440. And then you have to wait till yor number becomes current, which you wach in the Visa Bulletin on DOS website, or there is a link on the USCIS website as well, and only then you can file the I-485 and the receipt from DOS goes into the I-485 packet. Your number being high, You would probably be current at the end of the fiscal year, which wouldbe august, september 2011.
P.S. the fiscal year 2011 starts at October 1st 2010, that is when the lower case numbers, the people who saw their numbers current in Visa Bulletin for October can file their I-485 to Chicago LockBox.

Hey guys i don't know how to use this thing and i am freaking out here please give me advice. i recieved my NL letter back in may and i just filed it this august. my case number was AS00033xxx. am i too late? also i didnt know that i was suppose to pay 440$ to DOS. except that i sent everything to USCIS in my i-485 packet. i also didnt send any DS forms to KCC. i am already in the usa and i understood only doing i-485 would be ok. i am planing to send my DOS fee tomorrow and send the reciept to uscis chicago lockbox. hey friends am i doing right thing here or i screwed up my chance plz plz give me advice. thank you all of you.

Khayat,

I don't think it will be that big of a deal (since it has your name on it). The worst that could happen is they would return it to you and its already been over 2 weeks. Like you mentioned, confirm with KCC, and see if all is good.

I am out of my town Izzy, But I figured the same thing. I check my mail after I get back and if it was not there I'll give them a call.
Thanks

I wanna add one thing to what natta told you and that is that AOS or sending 1-485 is NOT your only option. You could decide to do Consular Process which considering your case number would not be a bad idea. Although last year applicants with high case numbers managed to get their green card before the end of the year.
This forum is the best information source on how to proceed. read DV 2010 and educate yourself and let every body in the forum know if you have any question.

Don't freak out. first learn the rules of the game then play it.
cheers

Thank you for your replies. i am 2011 selectee. I went to dvselectee.state.gov and i am already in the USA so thought my steps will be different. Just hoping they will send me back my packet so i can resend it. or they will ask me to send additional evidence.

Chutgur,

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

You do not need to do anything at this time, but to send the completed forms to KCC (make sure you read and re-read the completed forms carefully before you put it in the mail) along with the barcode sheet. Here is a link if you need help with filling out the forms. [PS: NEVER send originals (unless specified), and always keep a copy of the things you send to KCC or USCIS]

Then, read this thread from the first page to get started about the initial process, you can then go to DV 2010 AOS Only thread to get down to details of the whole AOS process.

Keep an eye on the Visa Bulletin, each month's VB comes out in about every 50 days in advance (usually between 10th and 15th), for eg., on August 2010, the September, 2010 VB came out and also showed advance notification for October 2010. Also, look at prior years' VB to guesstimate when you can expect to become current, it could be between July-Sept. Here is a link to the VB.

As someone already mentioned, your other option could be to do a Consular Processing with a case number like yours. Again, you do NOT have to make that decision NOW, you have plenty of time before you can speculate when you might become current (by looking at the VB each month). Also, you could always change from AOS to CP by notifying KCC. Although, DV AOS are treated and handled in an expedited manner than compared to other Family/Employment based petitions, you still need to keep in mind that there is a time crunch, it has to be finalized by September 30, 2011. Most DV AOS cases take about anywhere from 2 to 6 months. On average, it is about 2 months for higher CN at the end of the Fiscal Year (from 2010 high CN cases).

Again, read and follow this thread from the first page, do your 'homework' and educate yourself about the process.

For now, wait before you get your 'rejected' I-485 and payment back (if you are lucky). I am hoping that Chicago lockbox will send everything back but you never know.

Good Luck in the process and remember that you are NOT alone.:)
Thank you for your replies. i am 2011 selectee. I went to dvselectee.state.gov and i am already in the USA so thought my steps will be different. Just hoping they will send me back my packet so i can resend it. or they will ask me to send additional evidence.

Friends,

I am going to PM the moderators of this forum to make our thread a sticky. Will appreciate your effort if you do the same!

Thanks!

Hi all,

Some more question on two topics:

EAD: I am currently on an H1B visa, but likely to switch jobs before getting the green card (and EAD is better to have than H1B for a new employer). If I understand correctly, the EAD is a work authorization that kicks in before you get the green card. In my case, I'll be current in December'10 or January'11... and I intend not file in advance to be on the safe side. If I apply for EAD, how early would I get it? If one doesn't apply for EAD, when is one eligible to work in the US? When the actual GC arrives?

AP: has anyone done this? what is your experience with it? is the $305 fee also applicable when you file I131 as part of an AOS package? I understand that you must wait for the receipt that your AP was approved before you can travel... does anyone know how long that takes?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
these are good questions and this is what I think about the subject,

EAD and AP is used when you have an approved/pending AOS but are waiting for GC. In some EB visa categories this pending might last up to couple of years. in the meantime the applicant can work and leave the country and come back. However, if the pending AOS is rejected when the applicant is out of the country, he can not be admitted to the country even with his AP. he will be admitted only if the AOS is still pending or approved.

with the DV visas, the process is expedited. usually when your EAD is approved in a month or two your green card arrives too. So there is not much point in doing EAD or AP ( this last statement is personal opinion) . to answer your last 2 questions, yes the fee is included if you apply for AP along with your AOS package, and yes it seems like you do not need AP (according to what is mentioned in the PDF file you linked). you can call USCIS to confirm.

anybody else wants to elaborate? I would post this on 2010 thread, those guys might be able to help too.

Hi all,

Some more question on two topics:

EAD: I am currently on an H1B visa, but likely to switch jobs before getting the green card (and EAD is better to have than H1B for a new employer). If I understand correctly, the EAD is a work authorization that kicks in before you get the green card. In my case, I'll be current in December'10 or January'11... and I intend not file in advance to be on the safe side. If I apply for EAD, how early would I get it? If one doesn't apply for EAD, when is one eligible to work in the US? When the actual GC arrives?

AP: has anyone done this? what is your experience with it? is the $305 fee also applicable when you file I131 as part of an AOS package? I understand that you must wait for the receipt that your AP was approved before you can travel... does anyone know how long that takes?

Thanks a lot

what's a sticky?

"When used in terms of a Web site, sticky refers to a site’s ability to keep visitors on the site once they have navigated there or encourage the visitor to return frequently (i.e., the visitors “stick” to the site)." -www.webopedia.com.

Khayat,

In simple terms, sticky thread is a thread that always remains at the top of Page even if new threads are posted.