• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Natta, Khayat and Izzy,

Thanks for your responses, deeply appreciated. For the people who are current in October and are getting all documents ready and filling out all forms, there is the need to have a checklist to ensure that you send all forms and documents required so there is no delay in processing your petition, someone posted this checklist earlier in the thread and it has helped me get all my stuff together, hope it will helps someone too, so am reposting it, if there is anything i have omitted kindly input it. Thanks all.
..............................................................................................
1. Form I-485 - Application to Adjust Status
2. Check of $1010, filing fee for I-485
3. Two passport-style photos
4. Form G-325A - Biographic Information
5. Form I-693 - Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record in sealed envelope
6. Form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization
6.1. Two passport-style photos
6.2. Copy of previous EADs
7. Copies of selection documents for Diversity Visa Lottery
7.1. First Notification Letter
7.2. Receipt for DV Processing Fee from DOS
8. Copies of Relevant Passport Pages
9. Copy of Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record
10. Copy of Birth Certificate
11. Copy of Marriage Certificate
12. Copy of state-issued ID (Driver's License)
13. Copies of Degrees and Transcripts
14. Employment Details:
14.1. Copy of Employment Reference Letter
14.2. Copy of Pay stubs - Last 6 months
14.3. Copy of W2 - last 2 years
14.4. Copy of Tax Returns - last 2 years
............................................................................................
1. Form: G-325A- Biographic Information
2. Form: I-131: Travel Document or Re-entry Permit
3. Form: I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
4. Form: I-693 - Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
5. Form: I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization
6. Form: G-1145 - E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

According to USCIS website:

"Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
If you are filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, under one of the following eligibility categories:Diversity lottery winner eligible to file Form I-485;

Then file your Form I-485 at:
USCIS Chicago Lockbox
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:
USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For Express mail and courier deliveries:
USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Hey Tuscany.
Thanks for the check list, indeed it will be helpfull for us to get our stuff together. That also reminded me to get the necessary papers from my job. Thanks guys. Hope we will go through this together succesfully. Good luck everyone.

Tuscany,

Thanks for reposting this checklist. I do want to make a correction for the address, the 'Attn' should be "AOS" not "FBAS". Also see the following link for general rules for assembling paperwork:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

You do not necessarily need to send your Driver's License for Photo ID (I don't know why many people think that way), your passport bio-data page will suffice. If possible, use double sided forms (duplex printing). Remember, do not send unnecessary documents unless you think they will have a positive impact on your application. Also, recommend putting the photos in an envelope/sleeve to prevent damage/loss, you can write your case details with pencil on the back of the photos and on the envelope.

PS: #14.1 should be Employment verification letter NOT Employment reference letter (my bad).

Natta, Khayat and Izzy,

Thanks for your responses, deeply appreciated. For the people who are current in October and are getting all documents ready and filling out all forms, there is the need to have a checklist to ensure that you send all forms and documents required so there is no delay in processing your petition, someone posted this checklist earlier in the thread and it has helped me get all my stuff together, hope it will helps someone too, so am reposting it, if there is anything i have omitted kindly input it. Thanks all.
..............................................................................................
1. Form I-485 - Application to Adjust Status
2. Check of $1010, filing fee for I-485
3. Two passport-style photos
4. Form G-325A - Biographic Information
5. Form I-693 - Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record in sealed envelope
6. Form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization
6.1. Two passport-style photos
6.2. Copy of previous EADs
7. Copies of selection documents for Diversity Visa Lottery
7.1. First Notification Letter
7.2. Receipt for DV Processing Fee from DOS
8. Copies of Relevant Passport Pages
9. Copy of Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record
10. Copy of Birth Certificate
11. Copy of Marriage Certificate
12. Copy of state-issued ID (Driver's License)
13. Copies of Degrees and Transcripts
14. Employment Details:
14.1. Copy of Employment Reference Letter
14.2. Copy of Pay stubs - Last 6 months
14.3. Copy of W2 - last 2 years
14.4. Copy of Tax Returns - last 2 years
............................................................................................
1. Form: G-325A- Biographic Information
2. Form: I-131: Travel Document or Re-entry Permit
3. Form: I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
4. Form: I-693 - Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
5. Form: I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization
6. Form: G-1145 - E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

"Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
If you are filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, under one of the following eligibility categories:Diversity lottery winner eligible to file Form I-485;

Then file your Form I-485 at:
USCIS Chicago Lockbox
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:
USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For Express mail and courier deliveries:
USCIS
Attn: FBAS
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Per CDC Technical Instructions for TB Component, you are considered Medically cleared for the purpose of USCIS if you are saying TB treatment was recommended and not required per health department.

Did they ask to perform a sputum/culture test?

Do you know if he checked "Class B Latent TB"?

See page 25 of the manual mentioned above:

http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/pdf/tb-ti-civil.pdf

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience while doing Medicals. The doctor asked me if I have previous positive ppd tests and I answered yes, so he asked us to do (blood test)quantiferon gold test. Unfortunately I tested positive which means I am actually exposed to the bacteria sometime in my life. Then did a chest x ray with is normal and he referred me to local public health department for evaluation and management of Latent TB. I visited the public health dep and they recommended me to be on treatment for 9months, which I declined since it is recommended not required. So finally they signed the paper and I took it back to the doc. Has anybody have same experience? Please share if you have any idea how that's going to impact the process. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Izzy,

Thanks, but the website which was last updated on 08/03/2010 states "Attn: FBAS" not "AOS" do you advise that its better to use the lockbox since that is straight forward; i.e.
USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Per my understanding, the Chicago lockbox facility also deals with FBAS (Family Based Adjustment of Status) petitions. Since our DV applications are not Family Based petitions, I believe it should be AOS. This was also discussed in 2010 forum a while back. You may send it like this:

[FONT=&quot]U.S.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: AOS
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

RE: I-485 Application for Adjustment of
Status (AOS) for LASTNAME, Firstname -
Diversity Visa Lottery Winner

[/FONT]
...which is what most 2010 folks did. I guess it would not be wrong to say "FBAS" since they will eventually find out that it is in fact DV AoS once they open it. JMO, its your call...

Izzy,

Thanks, but the website which was last updated on 08/03/2010 states "Attn: FBAS" not "AOS" do you advise that its better to use the lockbox since that is straight forward; i.e.
USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Izzy120, Thanks for your reply. No they did not ask for sputum c/s, and yes the doctor has checked the box where it says class B LTBI. As you said, there should not be any problem per the instructions of CDC, but it just made me more concerned. I wonder if there were similar cases in the past(which is widely possible) and if they had to face any difficulties. Anyways, lets hope for the best.

Izzy120, Thanks for your reply. No they did not ask for sputum c/s, and yes the doctor has checked the box where it says class B LTBI. As you said, there should not be any problem per the instructions of CDC, but it just made me more concerned. I wonder if there were similar cases in the past(which is widely possible) and if they had to face any difficulties. Anyways, lets hope for the best.

There should be no worries. Most of the Asian countries used to do BCG vaccination back in the day. I am sure there were plenty of people who have had positive PPD test because of vaccination...
This is a personal opinion though.

Izzy,
Thanks again, by the time this process is over, you must begin an immigration consultancy and please don't charge an Arm and a Leg like most Immigration consultants, either lawyers or just representatives, your vast knowledge qualifies you for such a job. You've been helpful.

1. Do you suggest we file all applications concurently i.e. I-485, I-131, & I-765; as a package?
2. If filed jointly, do we attach different support documents or just send all as a package?

From what i have read, different departments at USCIS hand the different petitions so if they are sent as a package and separated to each responsible department, one or two might not have supporting & required ducuments to facilitate the prompt processing of the application, so it might delay the process. My thinking is that even though we send them as a package, we we should separate them within the package and attach each supporting document to each one so if they get separated and distributed within USCIS, ecah petition will be self sustaining thus facilitating prompt and undelayed approval. You know better on these matters.
Equally, what is the breakdown of the fees to be paid, i have read that the total is $1010 for the primary applicant, i.e. the selectee and same for beneficiary i.e. wife/spouse but what is the breakdown, i read soemwhere that it's better to write the checks separately and not lump everthing together. Again, i yield to you on these matters, hope to hear from you soon.

I guess this is one of the answers to the question i posted earlier:

Filing Fee : Form I-485
$1,010 ($930 plus a biometrics fee of $80).

Exceptions apply. See "Special Instructions" for more.

Special Instructions: Please note that, if you file Form I-485 to adjust your status as a permanent resident on or after July 30, 2007, no additional fee is required to also file an application for employment authorization on Form I-765 and/or advance parole on Form I-131. You may file these forms together. If you choose to file the I-765 and/or I-131 separately after July 30, 2007, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485. If you filed your Form I-485 prior to July 30, 2007, you must pay the fees associated with Forms I-765 and/or I-131 when you file.

Izzy,
Thanks again, by the time this process is over, you must begin an immigration consultancy and please don't charge an Arm and a Leg like most Immigration consultants, either lawyers or just representatives, your vast knowledge qualifies you for such a job. You've been helpful....

Tuscany,

Funny you say that, I am just trying to help. I will take it as a compliment, thank you! Besides, there are many others in this forum who are more knowledgeable.

Here is my PERSONAL take on the subject:

1. I would file all applications concurrently (i.e., file I-485, I-765, I-131 together) just because I am allowed to do so, plus there is less hassle (less trips to post office, less chance of mails getting lost/taking time, etc. etc.) and then I won’t have to wait for NOA to send the other forms and so on. My take is, if you know you will REALLY need EAD and AP, then only file them, if not, why take the hassle, trust me, by simplifying your case as much as you can, you will be doing a favor to yourself and to whoever is handling your case, by making their job easier. If you are 100% sure that you will NOT be using AP or EAD, then don’t apply for it, that way you are sending less paperwork, and creating less work for both you and the USCIS. Trust me, people appreciate that. Again, this is how I would do it, but there are others who say if I am paying for it, then I should apply for it and make them do the money’s worth of work…We all have different attitude, but I like think of the end-result, getting things done in a simple, fast and efficient way. But that is just me…

2. See View attachment 18161 to see what I will do for me and my spouse when sending my application (the documents will be arranged in the same order as it appears on the list), (anyone is free to use the format and modify according to their needs)

Each application package will have its own supporting documents, and each packet (total 2, 1 for me and 1 for my spouse as listed) will be separated by a rubber band with one G-1145 form on top of the packets, and mail them in one mailing envelope. Again, there is no right or wrong way, you don’t even need a cover letter per se, and don’t really need to write separate checks per person, do what way you feel more comfortable with. I like to be organized and make sure each person has what they (USCIS) need (this comes from a personal experience, in which two applications with one copy of supporting documents were sent together, they approved one case and almost denied mine and blamed me for not submitting required evidence, this was not USCIS though). Again, this is just me.

Regarding your question about how they organize the documents and evidence, I am not quite sure what you are referring to. They will handle DV cases separately so they are processed on a timely manner and will put family petitions (PA, spouse and/or children) together. Refer to this document: View attachment 18160 on how applications are handled at the Lockbox facilities (it is over 200 pages for all types of applications so just skim through, if you really want details, you can read the document). Although it is from '01, I believe the procedures are still similar.

After applications are received at the lockbox facility

Here is some additional info about what happens once our cases are received at the lockbox facility (Source credit: 2010 forum member capeolive):

USCIS utilizes a Lockbox facility for fee receipt and data collection, and the National Benefits Center (NBC) for pre-interview processing and adjudication of interim benefits

Steps in the process:
� Customer files applications and petitions (apps) via mail to lockbox
� Lockbox captures data from apps via combination of OCR and data entry
� Lockbox system does preliminary review of data from apps according to USCIS business rules

* If apps pass business rules, bank:
� Deposits payment
� Sends receipt notice to applicant
� Forwards apps to NBC
� Forwards data to NBC

* Receipt notice contains instructions for applicant to schedule appointment for biometrics capture at Application Support Center (ASC)

* NBC imports data from bank into CLAIMS3 LAN.� This triggers several actions:
� Creation/update of Record
� Initiation of multiple security check processes

* NBC determines if record (i.e., A-File) already exists for applicant.
� If not, NBC creates A-File
� If so, NBC creates T-File and requests A-File from holding office

* NBC reviews apps for initial evidence that establishes eligibility
� Visa Availability
� Eligibility of applicant for benefit
� Lawful entry into U.S.

* If applicant passes initial evidence check:
� NBC adjudicates ancillary applications (I-765 and I-131).
� EAD (Employment Authorization Document) and I-512 (AP) are produced and mailed to applicant
� Tracks and ensures completion of records checks
� Coordinates with Districts to schedule interview

* If applicant does not pass initial evidence check, NBC requests missing initial evidence and takes appropriate follow-up action

* Once scheduled, NBC sends interview notice to applicant

* NBC sends interview-ready cases to Districts according to interview schedule.
Interview-ready means:
� Passes initial evidence standard
� Records checks initiated and/or completed
� Relating files and docs requested and/or included

* Districts conduct interviews and record results via Interim Case Management System (ICMS)
� ICMS provides Districts direct access to NBC CLAIMS3LAN (Computer-Linked Application Information Management System� Local Area Network)� results are recorded immediately
� District approval and biometrics availability triggers immediate initiation of I-551 (Green Card) production

* Districts forward completed cases to National Records Center

* Integrated Card Production System (ICPS)

Tuscany,

1. I would file all applications concurrently (i.e., file I-485, I-765, I-131 together) just because I am allowed to do so, plus there is less hassle .......

yes, i do think izzy is a great resource for the 2011'ers!

to point (1) by izzy ...
i agree that if you don't need ead and ap don't apply for it. if you don't do it correctly or if you miss something in those applications it may delay your entire case. afterall once you get your gc you don't need those anymore.

and regarding the uscis process here's a link to their website which is more recent (2010). this is part of the ao's manual that they use when adjudicating a case.
http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1.html

Dear all,

thanks for your information. I have a question regarding EAD, I know it has been discussed a lot about that, however I'd appreciate if someone answer my question. I am working as a Graduate Research Assistant (F1 visa) in my university. it means that actually I'm employed by the university and treated as a staff. Is it necessary that I apply for EAD also.

thanks a bunch

Dear all,

thanks for your information. I have a question regarding EAD, I know it has been discussed a lot about that, however I'd appreciate if someone answer my question. I am working as a Graduate Research Assistant (F1 visa) in my university. it means that actually I'm employed by the university and treated as a staff. Is it necessary that I apply for EAD also.

thanks a bunch

js7,
i suggest not because your cn is low. you will be current soon. i'm sure you will be keeping your job till you receive the green card anyway. so you don't need the ead.

your case is the same as mine. I think you had positive PPD however the chest X-ray or Blood test has been normal. the PPD test is not an exact test for TB. there is a high probability that the positive response of the test is due to the fact that you had TB vaccine in your childhood. so I think there is no problem because if there were any, the doctor should have referred you to other places for medication.

js7,
i suggest not because your cn is low. you will be current soon. i'm sure you will be keeping your job till you receive the green card anyway. so you don't need the ead.

Congrats on recieving your card leongsce,
I had the same question about the neccesity of EAD. I will be on F for another year and I recieve RA. I did not think I would need it and I'd like to keep my application simple.
So you are sure I won't need it and I guess if I need it at some point I could always apply separately right?

Thanks

No you don't need EAD at this point. You are authorized to work as a RA in University while in F-1 student; so I suggest you to keep going that way and wait for GC rather than complicate your case by asking for EAD, which you would not really use until you get GC.

Dear all,

thanks a bunch

Congrats on recieving your card leongsce,
I had the same question about the neccesity of EAD. I will be on F for another year and I recieve RA. I did not think I would need it and I'd like to keep my application simple.
So you are sure I won't need it and I guess if I need it at some point I could always apply separately right?

Thanks

thks khayat.
you will be current in oct so i don't think you will need the ead. you ready with your aos package yet? get it ready and send it in on the last 2 days of sept.