• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Yoni123,

I have got Asia cut off number which is 23500 for May.

Does anyone has access to the Visa Bulletin for April 2011 (that shows advanced notice for May)
I have seen that some had the numbers couple of days prior to them being published officially on the website of the department of state.

Hi,
I have seen comments about text/email messages for the notifications. How can I set it up so that I can get notifications via texts too? I already turned in my AOS package on 3/1/11. I haven't got anything in the mail yet.
Thanks..
Cooooooooooooooooool :)

Hi,
I have seen comments about text/email messages for the notifications. How can I set it up so that I can get notifications via texts too? I already turned in my AOS package on 3/1/11. I haven't got anything in the mail yet.
Thanks..

One must submit form G-1145 with i485 and place the form on the top to get text/email notifications of NOA

Thanks

hi guys, does anyone know how to contact a local uscis office by phone??? or is it only infopasses?

This form is for NOAs. My guess is that if you sign up for e-mail notifications on the USCIS web-site (My Case) then you would receive any updates to you case(s).

Please chime in if you think this is not true.

Thank you,
One must submit form G-1145 with i485 and place the form on the top to get text/email notifications of NOA

Thanks

Congratulations to all the winners!!! I am new to this forum. I have my number as 2011AS00017xxx.
I suppost to turn in everything this month, but the lawyer that I had (fired him yesterday) tell me a lot of fulse information. I guess I am way too trust him and too depend on him in helping me file I-485. Last October I received 2NL from KCC asked me to summit the 1NL to local USCIS office and the processing fee to DOS. I aksed my lawyer what to do. He said I don't have to do anything until my number become current. January I asked him if I should go and do the medical exam. he said "no" to me and explained that the medical report might only have a month to 3 month validity, so wait until he told me so. I guess he totally forgot about me and my case. February 25, I called my lawyer and let him know my number will become current on March, so we should get start with everything. He told me to bring everything including medical report. I told him I did not have it (due to he say he will call me and let me know), so I was fustrated but found an doctor to do it. I got my report on Mar. 4 and I called my lawyer and make an appointment with him. Because he did not seem helping me at all, so I spent a long time online finding information. I noticed I should mail the processing fee long time ago and I should have the receipt when I file I-485. I called my lawyer again (Mar. 4), and he still told me I don't have to pay until the day I have my interview. I kind of ignore what he said because I don't think he is right, so I mailed the fee on Monday (Mar. 7). I checked the tracking number and it was delievered yesterday (Mar. 8). I am so fustrated and anxious now, so I have few questions want to ask everybody
1. How long will I received my receipt from DOS? I included a self-addressed, stamped express mail from USPS when I mail the fee to DOS.
2. I am so much behind the schedule/ time line, am I still able or possible to get my green card?

Thanks to you all.

You're not that much behind, though you could have sent your package around Jan 15th (if your #is 17200 or smaller, about Feb 12 if slightly larger than 17201..).
You still have plenty of time, really. Your lawyer was obviously a bad one, but still, as you could see, you could obtain the medical report in couple of days.
It will take you about 2-3 weeks tops to get the receipt back from the state department. You can actually mail the package without the receipt, and you might be asked to show it at the interview, since if you paid, KCC will transfer your file...
Or, since you really have the time, just use the next 1-2 weeks to carefully assemble your package and triple check everything. Then as soon as you get the receipt, mail it in.
You don't need to rush.
Good luck!

Congratulations to all the winners!!! I am new to this forum. I have my number as 2011AS00017xxx.
I suppost to turn in everything this month, but the lawyer that I had (fired him yesterday) tell me a lot of fulse information. I guess I am way too trust him and too depend on him in helping me file I-485. Last October I received 2NL from KCC asked me to summit the 1NL to local USCIS office and the processing fee to DOS. I aksed my lawyer what to do. He said I don't have to do anything until my number become current. January I asked him if I should go and do the medical exam. he said "no" to me and explained that the medical report might only have a month to 3 month validity, so wait until he told me so. I guess he totally forgot about me and my case. February 25, I called my lawyer and let him know my number will become current on March, so we should get start with everything. He told me to bring everything including medical report. I told him I did not have it (due to he say he will call me and let me know), so I was fustrated but found an doctor to do it. I got my report on Mar. 4 and I called my lawyer and make an appointment with him. Because he did not seem helping me at all, so I spent a long time online finding information. I noticed I should mail the processing fee long time ago and I should have the receipt when I file I-485. I called my lawyer again (Mar. 4), and he still told me I don't have to pay until the day I have my interview. I kind of ignore what he said because I don't think he is right, so I mailed the fee on Monday (Mar. 7). I checked the tracking number and it was delievered yesterday (Mar. 8). I am so fustrated and anxious now, so I have few questions want to ask everybody
1. How long will I received my receipt from DOS? I included a self-addressed, stamped express mail from USPS when I mail the fee to DOS.
2. I am so much behind the schedule/ time line, am I still able or possible to get my green card?

Thanks to you all.

thanks Hmouse.
They actaully posted the whole thing now...Seems like the progress this month was huge...Good news for many. I might be current in June which hopefully be enough...

AFRICA 42,000
Except: Egypt 31,200
Ethiopia 26,200
Nigeria 15,450
ASIA 23,500
EUROPE 27,800
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 12
OCEANIA 1,175
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 1,150

Yoni123,

I have got Asia cut off number which is 23500 for May.

You're not that much behind, though you could have sent your package around Jan 15th (if your #is 17200 or smaller, about Feb 12 if slightly larger than 17201..).
You still have plenty of time, really. Your lawyer was obviously a bad one, but still, as you could see, you could obtain the medical report in couple of days.
It will take you about 2-3 weeks tops to get the receipt back from the state department. You can actually mail the package without the receipt, and you might be asked to show it at the interview, since if you paid, KCC will transfer your file...
Or, since you really have the time, just use the next 1-2 weeks to carefully assemble your package and triple check everything. Then as soon as you get the receipt, mail it in.
You don't need to rush.
Good luck!

Yoni 123, thank you so much for telling me this. I did feel a lot better now. all I need to do next is to gather all the document that are listed on the USCIS website, right? do I need to include tax from previous years? do I need sponsor letter?
Once again, thank you

First thing I would do is fire the Lawyer. I think he does not know about the DV Filing procedure. Educate yourself and I believe this forum has tons of useful info for you. Go through all of the pages on this forum.

Yoni 123, thank you so much for telling me this. I did feel a lot better now. all I need to do next is to gather all the document that are listed on the USCIS website, right? do I need to include tax from previous years? do I need sponsor letter?
Once again, thank you

Tax returns and sponsor letter ( Form I-134) are optional for you at this point. But it does not hurt either. I would suggest you to put W-2s from past years showing your income if you have them. Otherwise do not bother about them too much. You can take them all ( Tax returns, I-134, Paystubs etc...) with you in your interview...

Once again, thank you

I am a foreign student in North Carolina. I will be completing my degree this May and moving onto NYC for a job. My case number is AS22*** which according to the advanced notification process will be current in May. It will be really great if you can share your thoughts on applying early as I can already see my case will be current in May. Please share your thoughts and advice on applying early.

Also I will be moving to NYC in May so will it be fine if I put my address as NYC on my AOS package because I will not be living in North Carolina after my graduation.

@tutu0418,

I would recommend that you sent the minimum required documentation as listed on USCIS website. The rule of thumb is never volunteer any information to government agencies, Give them exactly what they ask for not more, not less.

Also as DV winner, your sponsor is the US government, therefore no sponsor letter needed. If you are ever asked to show you can support yourself, then you will have to show that you have the financial muscle to support yourself while settling in the USA.

The DV philosophy is either you have the minimum education required to train for a job in the US (High School) or you have qualifying professional experience that you can build on to find a job and get going with your life here.

Good luck with all

@ Redct,

If you were to send you forms in towards the end of this month, that will leave you exactly seven months for your AOS process. I believe, your odds of obtaining your GC before the end of the fiscal year are good. Ultimately, it is your call though.

You could, but all your correspondence with USCIS from then on will be send to NYC. If you want to use NYC address then you might want to wait until you have moved there to sent your packet in, which will leave you with six/five months for the AOS process. It's still doable.

First thing I would do is fire the Lawyer. I think he does not know about the DV Filing procedure. Educate yourself and I believe this forum has tons of useful info for you. Go through all of the pages on this forum.

Feel, thank you for the info. I did read through a lot of posting and that helped! good luck to you too. :)

@tutu0418,

I would recommend that you sent the minimum required documentation as listed on USCIS website. The rule of thumb is never volunteer any information to government agencies, Give them exactly what they ask for not more, not less.

Also as DV winner, your sponsor is the US government, therefore no sponsor letter needed. If you are ever asked to show you can support yourself, then you will have to show that you have the financial muscle to support yourself while settling in the USA.

The DV philosophy is either you have the minimum education required to train for a job in the US (High School) or you have qualifying professional experience that you can build on to find a job and get going with your life here.

Good luck with all

Loula,
I see. thank you for the info. I will not send those document to them unless they asked. I did not attend high school here in the states, can I give them my Junior College dipolma that I obtained here to them instead? or I have to submit both?

I agree. Have it ready for the interview if you're asked to show it.
Read the 2012 Forum from page 1 till now, if you do that, you will not need to ask anything else. If you have the time, read the 2010 forum and 2009...

Tax returns and sponsor letter ( Form I-134) are optional for you at this point. But it does not hurt either. I would suggest you to put W-2s from past years showing your income if you have them. Otherwise do not bother about them too much. You can take them all ( Tax returns, I-134, Paystubs etc...) with you in your interview...

We have seen many times that this needs to go by the book. Meaning, they want to see high school diploma. It can be from anywhere, as look as it is comparable to US 12 years of school. I know it makes no sense, but sometimes, university degree might not work....

Loula,
I see. thank you for the info. I will not send those document to them unless they asked. I did not attend high school here in the states, can I give them my Junior College dipolma that I obtained here to them instead? or I have to submit both?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Reptile,

My lawyer never submitted the High School Certificate. I have one which is equivalent to completing 12 yrs education in my country. and It is in English. But is there a way i can prove it is High School equivalent of US.

Secondly, so are you getting an Affidavit from Employer, I work for a big company, and I am unsure my company will cater to such a specific affidavit, it is not their HR policies. So i would not have that. Although I have a BS and MS and work as Engineer. Do you think Pay Stubs will suffice. I do have my Employment letter???

Thanks

Hello Enviro,

Sorry for the late reply. I was a little bit busy during the past days.

I think all they need is a proof of secondary school completion. I remember some people in this forum mentioning a website where you can check equivalences to a US high school certificate but i lost track of the details. Personally I have mine translated and i don't think i will have time to make any equivalence (if needed) at this stage. Also, I have previously worked for a company overseas and already have an affidavit from them stating the length of my work. It is not in English so i guess i'll translate it myself.

If you mean the I-134 affidavit of support, i still haven't filled any yet....