• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

I am waiting for the receipt from the Department of State saying that they received the payment.

I have a question though. Besides the medicals what do we have to submit once our number becomes current. Is it just the I 485? I have F-1 status right now.

CN: 2010AS00004xxx
05/11/2009: Received my first NL dated 05/05/2009
06/23/2009: Mailed DSP122 and DS 230.
07/09/2009: Called KCC. Confirmed they received my forms on 07/06/2009.
07/25/2009: Mailed $375x2 (for me and my spouse) to the US Department of State.
08/07/2009: Received 2nd notification letter from KCC.

Hi guys,

We are getting close to our turn. The Sept/October Visa Bulletin is out. Looks like the numbers are starting quite high. All the best to those who are going to be current in October. From the Bulletin looks like we'll be current in November.

Start posting up your prep and progress guys.

Again, All the Best to All!

Seems like I will be current October 1.
Have to start my medical examination and other stuffs. By the way while submitting the packet for AOS is it just the I-485 and the medical report? By the way I have an infopass appointment for this friday. I am going there to collect the AOS packet. Is there anything else that I should ask for?

CN: 2010AS00004xxx
05/11/2009: Received my first NL dated 05/05/2009
06/23/2009: Mailed DSP122 and DS 230.
07/09/2009: Called KCC. Confirmed they received my forms on 07/06/2009.
07/25/2009: Mailed $375x2 (for me and my spouse) to the US Department of State.
08/07/2009: Received 2nd notification letter from KCC.
08/11/2009: Received the stamp paid receipt from the Department of state for the DV fees.

Seems like I will be current October 1.
Have to start my medical examination and other stuffs. By the way while submitting the packet for AOS is it just the I-485 and the medical report? By the way I have an infopass appointment for this friday. I am going there to collect the AOS packet. Is there anything else that I should ask for?

Please check the instructions for completing the Form I-485 at the USCIS web site (you will need to provide some supporting documentation that are listed in that document)

I would suggest you check the forums from previous years (2008 and 2009). It is a long reading but you will learn how to prepare the documentation that you need to submit to the USCIS and you also will learn what to expect during the process. Look for examples of Cover Letters that are important to include in your presentation.

Visiting USCIS office

Guys,

If I understand correctly, it is not necessary to visit a local USCIS office prior to sending the AOS package since all the forms can be printed from their website. Am I right?

My number will be current in Oct.
Thanks!

Hi All,

I completed my medical check up requirement for AOS through DV 2010 -- all clear and healthy. The doctor gave me a sealed envelope with the I-693 form and examination and vaccination record, which I will send along with the AOS Package at the time of AOS application. Next, start filling the remaining forms and collect all other pertinent information for the AOS Packet.

Have a good day all!

JLaw

Hi JLaw,

Is your case number current in October? It seems that we have similar case numbers but my cn will be current in November :(

Good luck to all

Guys,

If I understand correctly, it is not necessary to visit a local USCIS office prior to sending the AOS package since all the forms can be printed from their website. Am I right?

My number will be current in Oct.
Thanks!

I understand that you don't need to go to the USCIS office to pick up the AOS package, everything can be downloaded from www[dot]uscis[dot]gov under Immigration Forms. Actually, you will find the latest version of the forms in the USCIS web site; always check the Expiration date on the forms they must be current at the time you submit them.

Another advantage of using the online forms is that you can download the PDFs and fill them out on your computer instead of entering all the data by hand.

Good luck

I forgot to add that my friends # will be current in Nov. and is going to College in 2 weeks so she has more time to do the medical now than when is at school...

I forgot to add that my friends # will be current in Nov. and is going to College in 2 weeks so she has more time to do the medical now than when is at school...

No, you don't have to wait for the second NL. The medical exam is valid for a year. Said that, if your friend's number will be current in November she will be fine.

Hi all,
I'm a newbie here, so I apologize if I did something stupid.

I'm on H1B visa and won DV2010 lottery. My fiance is currently visiting me here on tourist visa and we are planning to get married on 09-09-2009. However, I'm planning to do my adjustment of status.

Is it possible to file adjustment of status for my wife as well?
If yes, she need to go back to her country after 6 months here (tourist visa limitation), how do I proceed with the AOS?

I was thinking to get her an H4 visa first, but I'm I afraid that the time will not enough.
Please advice. Feel free to contact me directly on stkusuma@gmail.com
Thanks in advance.

Hi all,
I'm a newbie here, so I apologize if I did something stupid.

I'm on H1B visa and won DV2010 lottery. My fiance is currently visiting me here on tourist visa and we are planning to get married on 09-09-2009. However, I'm planning to do my adjustment of status.

Is it possible to file adjustment of status for my wife as well?
If yes, she need to go back to her country after 6 months here (tourist visa limitation), how do I proceed with the AOS?

I was thinking to get her an H4 visa first, but I'm I afraid that the time will not enough.
Please advice. Feel free to contact me directly on stkusuma@gmail.com
Thanks in advance.

From my little knowledge, you are supposed to inform KCC of any life changing events (incuding marriage) that occur during the period before you get your interview and finally GC. If you are going to be current and apply for AOS after your marriage, then you definitely have to inform them ahead of time and include your new wife in the application.

Just my thoughts.

I think it depends on when your case number will be current. Anyway, I think that applying for EAD is not a bad idea as it gives you a backup in case you want/need to change your job before you get your GC.

Answer for question 16 is (c) (9) () as you are an Adjustment Applicant.

I am a bit confused regarding EAD application. Based on what i read, people who submitted I-765 got their EAD cards few months before they receive green cards. What is the point of applying for EAD? Dont we have right to work as soon as we get our GCs? If so; is the advantage of EAD just to be able to work few months earlier? I am also on H1b and trying to figure out if applying for EAD is necessary or not.

Thanks.

From my little knowledge, you are supposed to inform KCC of any life changing events (incuding marriage) that occur during the period before you get your interview and finally GC. If you are going to be current and apply for AOS after your marriage, then you definitely have to inform them ahead of time and include your new wife in the application.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the response Daima! Good luck!

Based on my research; I believe I can submit form I824 together with my AOS documents. The form I824 will allow my spouse to join me here. I need someone to confirm this and if possible let me know the complete step.
Thank you.

I am a bit confused regarding EAD application. Based on what i read, people who submitted I-765 got their EAD cards few months before they receive green cards. What is the point of applying for EAD? Dont we have right to work as soon as we get our GCs? If so; is the advantage of EAD just to be able to work few months earlier? I am also on H1b and trying to figure out if applying for EAD is necessary or not.

Thanks.

Well, not only you can work in advance; but let say your company goes bankrupt and they wont sponsor your H1B anymore; EAD can save you there.

Another positive thing is with EAD you dont need a sponsor.
Cheers

Well, not only you can work in advance; but let say your company goes bankrupt and they wont sponsor your H1B anymore; EAD can save you there.

Another positive thing is with EAD you dont need a sponsor.
Cheers

Hmm... thanks for the reply..Basically my understanding is that it doesnt hurt to apply for it. Sounds like it is just an additional form (I-765) to include in the AOS package. But after we receive the gc (which will happen few months after we receive the EAD), it wont be necessary anymore.

Hmm... thanks for the reply..Basically my understanding is that it doesnt hurt to apply for it. Sounds like it is just an additional form (I-765) to include in the AOS package. But after we receive the gc (which will happen few months after we receive the EAD), it wont be necessary anymore.

That's right, the EAD (I-765) and/or travel document (I-131) have no extra charge and you can submit them with your AOS application. They are valid while the AOS is pending. Once you get your GC those documents are not needed anymore.

One reason that you may need to apply for an Advance Parole after you get your GC is if you need to leave the USA for more than 180 days in a year

Please help is it too late to send DSP122 and 230 ?

Hi,

I received my package for DV2010 some time by the beginning of July and thought the best thing would to go with a lawyer. I live and work in New Jersey for 4 years now, therefore lawyer told me to go with the AOS but said I should wait till OCTOBER 1 2009 and then send the form to KCC. My cn# is EU00000XXX. And because of what he said I still did not send anything , and also will be going for a vacation returning on OCT 5.

So, I am planing to send DSP122 + DS230 and also the AOS forms and fees same time after OCT 5 .

Am I late for anything ? :confused:

Thank you for your response

He is your lawyer and should know better than all of us not having studied to become a lawyer....BUT, if I read "send back a.s.a.p" it doesn't mean t wait till Oct....but that is just me saying so.

My friends lawyer was going to charge her $ 1750 to help with the AOS but she is doing it her self right now with the "help" of the internet and using her common sense and so far it all looks very good.
It comes down to having proof of everything that is being requested, if you don't have it you might be better of with the help of a lawyer or if you have no clue what you need to do.
She just had her medical done yesterday and paid last week to do AOS and is waiting for the interview date which probably will be in NOv. or Dec. for her.