• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hi guys,

I hope every1's getting their AOS packages ready! I'm still confused on the Police clearance/certificate....do we need it for AOS or not? especially if you've never been arrested.
My husband lived in Europe before coming to the US, will he need one for those countries?? Have no idea how we gonna go about getting those if he needs them. Your ideas will be appreciated.

Hey everyone,

I have a question on the medical exams costs. I have called a couple of civil surgeons in my area to ask for the costs associated with the medical tests. One of them told me it'd be around $400 or less, another (a different city) mentioned $195 basic fee + additional fees depending on my immunizations. Has anyone completed the med yet? Would you expect different costs depending on the number of civil surgeons in your city or other criteria? Thank you.
----------
Daima, my understanding is that we don't need to submit police certificates unless you have been arrested or charged. Please update once you have been directed otherwise.

Hey everyone,

I have a question on the medical exams costs. I have called a couple of civil surgeons in my area to ask for the costs associated with the medical tests. One of them told me it'd be around $400 or less, another (a different city) mentioned $195 basic fee + additional fees depending on my immunizations. Has anyone completed the med yet? Would you expect different costs depending on the number of civil surgeons in your city or other criteria? Thank you.
----------
Daima, my understanding is that we don't need to submit police certificates unless you have been arrested or charged. Please update once you have been directed otherwise.

Ok, thanks....was just double checking..hope they won't ask for them.

About the Med Exam, I just took mine today. There are only 2 Civil Surgeons where I am. One told me the base fee is $175 and extra for each shot depending on how many you'll need and the min per shot is $55. The other one was $240 for everything, so I went with that. From reading past forums, I've seen that price varies.

Hey Guys,

Hope you all are enjoying your summer. You can reduce the cost of your medical exam if you get your test and immunizations done at a free clinic. You just have to bring proof of the results with you to the medical exam. One of the civil surgeons in my area gave me a quote of $125 provided I have a copy of my immunisations and test results.

Medical Link

USCIS Civil Surgeon Locator Link

I sent my DSP 122 and barcode sheet to KCC on May 16th. Then I sent the DV form and the fee to the DoS on July 3rd. Never recieved any confirmation or anything from either of them yet. Should I start getting worried?

One of the civil surgeons in my area gave me a quote of $125 provided I have a copy of my immunisations and test results.

Try to get a shot record from your home country. It can be a super simple paper, even without exact dates of immunization. A lot depends from a surgeon, not all of them are equal... You'll need to translate the record and certify, just as you do it with your other non-English documents.

Another cost reducing tip: some of the surgeons accept insurance, so search and compare. I was under BCBS PPO plan at the time of my exam, and it was only $75. Good luck!

For me, it takes sometime to get my police records as I lived in several countries for more than 6 month...does anuone know in which we case we have to submit police records along with the application...in the package is stated "if arrested"...if I have never been arrested, can I skip sending those police records???

For me, it takes sometime to get my police records as I lived in several countries for more than 6 month...does anuone know in which we case we have to submit police records along with the application...in the package is stated "if arrested"...if I have never been arrested, can I skip sending those police records???

From my understanding, if you are filing AOS the police certificate is not required unless you fall into the special class which would require you to fill out the I485 supplement. Police certifcates are generally mandatory for CP only. See link below- scroll done to where they address police clearances.

AOS Application Procedure Link
http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/adjustmentofstatus/application.html

Try to get a shot record from your home country. It can be a super simple paper, even without exact dates of immunization. A lot depends from a surgeon, not all of them are equal... You'll need to translate the record and certify, just as you do it with your other non-English documents.

Another cost reducing tip: some of the surgeons accept insurance, so search and compare. I was under BCBS PPO plan at the time of my exam, and it was only $75. Good luck!

Thanks masemath!
Hopefully my BCBS works as well.

Blue

Police cettificates are mandatory for every one. It doens't matter if you do AOS or CP. If you do AOS you should get one where you live and for prior stays over 6 months. Just read the letter what you need to bring to the interview.

Police cettificates are mandatory for every one. It doens't matter if you do AOS or CP. If you do AOS you should get one where you live and for prior stays over 6 months. Just read the letter what you need to bring to the interview.

Bentlebee,

Once you do AOS, your case is taken over by USCIS. Per their instructions, police certificates are required for AOS only if that person falls into the special class as specified in I485 supplement. Just read the I-485 instructions. I also spoke to USCIS and other people on this forum who did AOS successfully and were not required to present a police certificate for their native country or for prior stay over 6 months since the age of 16. For AOS police certifcates are also NOT required for the state you currently live in the US, that's why they have you do Biometrics. For CP only police certificates are manditory.

Bentlebee,

Once you do AOS, your case is taken over by USCIS. Per their instructions, police certificates are required for AOS only if that person falls into the special class as specified in I485 supplement. Just read the I-485 instructions. I also spoke to USCIS and other people on this forum who did AOS successfully and were not required to present a police certificate for their native country or for prior stay over 6 months since the age of 16. For AOS police certifcates are also NOT required for the state you currently live in the US, that's why they have you do Biometrics. For CP only police certificates are manditory.

thanks...but who falls into the "special case"...I couldn't find that from the link

If so...okay, but I read it as you need to have it and if you have a clean police report why wouldn't you get one!

thanks...but who falls into the "special case"...I couldn't find that from the link

Attached you will find the link to I485 Instructions. Please see pg4 #6. Police clearances.

I-485 Instructions Link
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

For the special class information, please see attached link for I485 supplement forms.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

You could always get the police certificate from your country of origin if that makes you feel more comfortable. Better to be over prepared than under prepared. All I'm saying is that it is not necessary. Message winners from DV 2009 for first hand advice.

Blue

If so...okay, but I read it as you need to have it and if you have a clean police report why wouldn't you get one!

Hello bentlebee,

I am aware of the list of required documents you are referring to (the one recieved with the 1st notification letter from KCC that has police certificate noted among other things). KCC deals with CP processing. USCIS does AOS and their instructions are clearly written.

I agree that it is better to be over prepared than under prepared. It's an unnecessary hassle to try to get a police certificate from your country of origin and every other country you lived in for over 6 mths, while you're currently in the states, esp cause it's not required. But it's up to the individual. All I am saying is that it's not required for most.

Blue

Hello bentlebee,

I am aware of the list of required documents you are referring to (the one recieved with the 1st notification letter from KCC that has police certificate noted among other things). KCC deals with CP processing. USCIS does AOS and their instructions are clearly written.

I agree that it is better to be over prepared than under prepared. It's an unnecessary hassle to try to get a police certificate from your country of origin and every other country you lived in for over 6 mths, while you're currently in the states, esp cause it's not required. But it's up to the individual. All I am saying is that it's not required for most.

Blue

So what you are saying is that AOS has different requirements, maybe due to it is easy for them to get a police report since the person doing the AOS are already in the US...

Attached you will find the link to I485 Instructions. Please see pg4 #6. Police clearances.

I-485 Instructions Link

For the special class information, please see attached link for I485 supplement forms.
\

You could always get the police certificate from your country of origin if that makes you feel more comfortable. Better to be over prepared than under prepared. All I'm saying is that it is not necessary. Message winners from DV 2009 for first hand advice.

Blue

Thank you so much Blue...but, I still cant find the passage where it is written who falls in to special class...it always referrs to "an i-485 supplement form ... to see if you need to obtain and submit police clearance"...
I mean it must be written, clearly stated in some passage or sentence who has and who has not to submit police clearance...? I cannot find those sentence.:confused:

Hello people.

I sent DSP 122 and pictures to KCC last month. They told not to pay any fees yet, since they are non-refundible and wait until my number becomes current.
I see that a lot of you have already paid various fees.
Honestly I am so confused about this, I don't even know where to start and what to do.
Would appreciate any advices.
Thanks.

Hello people.

I sent DSP 122 and pictures to KCC last month. They told not to pay any fees yet, since they are non-refundible and wait until my number becomes current.
I see that a lot of you have already paid various fees.
Honestly I am so confused about this, I don't even know where to start and what to do.
Would appreciate any advices.
Thanks.

They tell everybody this and I did some research online because my friend will do AOS and was thinking about paying the amount now or later.

We went to USCIS and were told not to do anything until your number becomes current and IMO that is the smartest way to do it. If you pay before it doesn't change anything other than you are sure you won't get your money back. I recently did a calculation and I think the DV is a huge business that any one would love to run, but is very complex, but they are making money on it, but who cares if you get a GC:).

My friends number might become current (I mean she probable will have her interview around that time so 6 weeks before her number might become current) in November or December and KCC told her to check August's visa bulletin because they will publish it like 6 weeks before, so if we see her number is current or close to it, than we will pay it. You will receive a receipt pretty soon after that, since they never refuse the money. If you pay the fee in May your number won't become current sooner, so why should you pay earlier. KCC was clear about it and USCIS stated the same, although USCIS stated they won't look at any application before the new fiscal yr starts and that is Oct. 1st, 2009. So keep the amount and maybe if you have it on a savings account, you get a little interest instead of sending it months too soon.