• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hey congrats to all the winners!...

This is what I found out... I received my 2nd NL from DOS and it said that my case was transferred to my local USCIS and that I had to submit my first NL there and that before I have to pay the $375 DV fee. I didn't know how to submit that letter so I made an appointment at USCIS I went with the copy of the cashier's check I sent to DOS (they asked me if I paid first and I told the IO that I sent the check yesterday, then he decided to answer my questions).
He read the 2nd NL and gave me a bunch of forms that must be filled out for AOS, he told me to wait until my case is current and submit all in that moment together with the fisrt NL.... that's how it must be submitted, with the AOS package.

Yes, Valesco, that's what we are supposed to do. I guess we all should be getting our AOS packages ready.

Quick Help

I recently submitted my DSP-122 + Bar Code on June 15 and when I called KCC today they told me that they haven't received yet, and told me that my document might be in mail room. So is this very common with KCC that they take even more then 15 days to get mail from mail room and upload info in computer.

DOS fee:
When I called them they suggested me not to pay $375 untill my case number is current which is probably after October. Could you please direct me what should I do at this point. Going through this bolg I found most of DV winner pay DOS soon after their DSP-122 submital, for example like in your case. Please give me your though.

Hi Olsson, I had the same question before, they told me to wait until my case is current but on the 2nd NL they said that they transferred my case to USCIS and that I can't contact them until I pay the DV fee...

So, I think that you have to pay the DV fee this soon if you are doing AOS... well I did, otherwise USCIS wouldn't answer my questions..

I am from Nepal and recently received my NL(00027XXX). I am currently in the US on H1-B and i'm planning for to apply for AoS. With the current market situation, my current work assignment may not get extended beyond 2009 December. As far as I know, I will be out of my current status (H1 B)once my assignment ends. And if I apply for AoS, I need to be in the US until my case number is current (which i believe will be around march 2010) and until my interview date.

Does applying for AoS prevent me from being out of status?

Can anyone advice me on what should i do?

You might be better of calling a lawyer and having some one answering this important question on a forum. If you get the wrong answer and go with it, it might hurt your case for years, but if you get the right answer you might be lucky and safe some money, but this is a hard question to answer unless some one has the same visa, and everything similar, which chances will be none to maybe 1%....

I wish could answer it.....Sorry.

I am from Nepal and recently received my NL(00027XXX). I am currently in the US on H1-B and i'm planning for to apply for AoS. With the current market situation, my current work assignment may not get extended beyond 2009 December. As far as I know, I will be out of my current status (H1 B)once my assignment ends. And if I apply for AoS, I need to be in the US until my case number is current (which i believe will be around march 2010) and until my interview date.

I personally would recommend for you to do CP. Since your number wont be current till March 2010, that means your EAD and travel parole wont be available till then. My husband used to hold H1B that almost expired when I won the DV. However the difference is, his company at that time willing to extend his visa therefore he was covered until we received the Green Card.

I wont risk yours, it's too important. Just fly home and get the GC that way. You will be back here in no time.

I personally would recommend for you to do CP. Since your number wont be current till March 2010, that means your EAD and travel parole wont be available till then. My husband used to hold H1B that almost expired when I won the DV. However the difference is, his company at that time willing to extend his visa therefore he was covered until we received the Green Card.

I wont risk yours, it's too important. Just fly home and get the GC that way. You will be back here in no time.

Maybe you or some one else who has the same info in their profile, in every post can explain to me the following....

How could you get the 1st NL in March or some are stating in April if the DV lotery is stating on their websites that the winners are notified starting May till July?

^^ Hmm... I dont know? DOes it matter? because to me as long as you received yours it's all good? I still have my envelope and it was postmarked in March 16, 2007, but received March 19, 2007.

AOS documents to fill out

Hello

I was wondering what documents are needed to fill out for AOS.
Thanks
Lisse

Thanks for your views. I think i will do a CP.

Once you filed I-485 and received the I-797 Receipt Notice, you will be in AOS Pending status, not out of status.
You have to wait for your EAD in order to work. Once you get EAD, you can get another job.
Another option is to find another employer that will hire you and will take over your H1b.
Bottom line: you will not be out of status and can stay, but in order to work you need EAD or another employer that hires you on your H1b.

You are on an H1B: talk to the immigration lawyer that your company is using, they can give you all the details.

It's up to you to go for AOS or CP. With AOS it can be a bit more cumbersome process and you might be without work for a while if you cannot find another employer or have to wait for EAD.
With CP it is a more straightforward process, but you would have to leave the country for 2 weeks or so to have your medical test and do the interview.
I would opt for CP :cool:

Couple of quick KCC and DOS Questions

Congrats to all the DV2010 winners on here :)

I'm currently in the US on H1B and have received my NL on 6/8 (2010AS00016XXX). Here are couple of quick questions for those of you who have already sent in DSP-122 and the $375 fee to KCC.

1) Do we also need to send in the photo along with DSP-122? Or just DSP-122 and the bar code sheet?

2) What is the correct payee name for the $375 cashiers check? "U.S. Department of State" or just "Department of State"?

Appreciate your help and keep the all the great info coming!

Congrats to all the DV2010 winners on here :)

I'm currently in the US on H1B and have received my NL on 6/8 (2010AS00016XXX). Here are couple of quick questions for those of you who have already sent in DSP-122 and the $375 fee to KCC.

1) Do we also need to send in the photo along with DSP-122? Or just DSP-122 and the bar code sheet?

2) What is the correct payee name for the $375 cashiers check? "U.S. Department of State" or just "Department of State"?

Appreciate your help and keep the all the great info coming!

See below:

1)you dont need to send photo
2)U.S. Department of State (doesnt matter actually;but to make you feel better: thats what i did and got my stamped receipt).

Good luck!

Thanks cm1979.

After reading this thread and the DV2009AOS thread, I wish we had some crystal clear guidance on the correct timing to send in the I-485 package. I've consulted an attorney and she mentioned it should only be sent in when your DV visa number is current. When I called the USCIS 1-800 number, the person read off of her screen and said 90 days prior to the date the number becomes current. To top it off, the IO at USCIS (infopass) consulted his manager on duty and said the package can be sent in any time and they'd keep your application until your visa number becomes current...!?!!:confused:

I know this topic is not new and there's already been plenty of discussion around this, but I'm sure it can be frustrating for some not to have a crystal clear answer.

I went with my friend in person to USCIS since they wouldn't give an answer over the phone and we even got to talk to a supervisor who clearly stated to wait till the number becomes current and specially not to do anything now since the DV year is 2010 which starts in October and over here in Tampa they wouldn't even look at it before the fiscal yr would start...The KCC employee stated to wait at least till August 15th visa bulletin and see if the numbers becomes current.

Hi there!
Congrats to all winners!My wife got her notification letter recently.We've been in the USA on F1 status for the last 3 years,so we decided to do AOS.Do you think that working during that time without work authorization can be a problem?If there is someone with experience,please share it!

EAD/AP vs. H/L

Hello guys,
Trying to keep us on the first page of threads so visit often. Anywho, I was battling whether or not I should apply for EAD and AP with my I485 application. I'm currently on an H1 visa that does not expire till 2011, so technically I don't need EAD/AP, but with the current economy you never know. Anyway I just thought I'd share the information I've gathered. See link below.

EAD/AP vs H/L Link