• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

finally got through to USCIS- system's back up!

I guess 5th time is the charm!

I called USCIS today and the system is back up and running. Because more than 30 days had elapsed since they cashed the fingerprint fee and I did not receive a biometrics appointment, they created a service request for me.

make sure to have pen and paper handy as they give you a confirmation number for the service request!

If you filed in early Oct and have yet to receive your biometrics appointment, I recommend you call asap.

the prompts that you have to put in after calling 1 800 375 5283 are 1 - 2 - 1 - MSC receipt number - 1 - 3 - 2 - 1.

These prompts are for those who have been waiting more than 30 days (in fact when they answer the phone, that is the first thing they check for!) - do not use this for other purpose or just because you want to speak to a human!!

I guess 5th time is the charm!

I called USCIS today and the system is back up and running. Because more than 30 days had elapsed since they cashed the fingerprint fee and I did not receive a biometrics appointment, they created a service request for me.

make sure to have pen and paper handy as they give you a confirmation number for the service request!

If you filed in early Oct and have yet to receive your biometrics appointment, I recommend you call asap.

the prompts that you have to put in after calling 1 800 375 5283 are 1 - 2 - 1 - MSC receipt number - 1 - 3 - 2 - 1.

These prompts are for those who have been waiting more than 30 days (in fact when they answer the phone, that is the first thing they check for!) - do not use this for other purpose or just because you want to speak to a human!!

I called them and able to create SR.

Also, do they send biometric only after name check is completed or..?
I do not have a common name and I don't think it should be taking long time in my case but who knows.

Hey Matutuelandia, current visa's should not affect anything. I have a current visa issued within the past 12 months and I've already done my biometrics. As long as you're not an illegal immigrant and as long as your current visa{if you have one} status is eligible for conversion to Permanent resident. For example, people on F1 visas, and H1B visas are eligible but people on B1/B2 visas, J visas and some other visas would not be eligible for adjustment to permanent resident. Hope that helps

Just CORRECTION for you in regard of J1 Visa.
J1 holdersr can do AOS if they have the 2 year waiver.
If not, they can apply for that waiver before doing AOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called them and able to create SR.

Also, do they send biometric only after name check is completed or..?
I do not have a common name and I don't think it should be taking long time in my case but who knows.

did they say how long is this going to take

No i dont think they don't send fingerprints after name check is done.

did they say how long is this going to take

No i dont think they don't send fingerprints after name check is done.

No specific timeframe. Actually, they said if not heard from them within next 45 days contact them again, which is ridiculous.

Hey guys...I am also a DV 09 winner and I thot I'd share my experience thus far.

I do not want to put panic into you guys but, my number was current in October...and as soon as I submitted my AOS package I got a Biometrics appointment within a week. I did my biometrics last week Thursday, Nov 13th and now I am waiting on the Interview. I think our experiences have been pretty similar thus far, except that some of you guys have not gotten your biometrics appointment.

From my experience dealing with USCIS, there is probably nothing wrong...they usually just take their time to get to things. I dont think they say it anywhere that you will get your finger printing appointment within a week or two of receipt of your AOS package. What they do is, they set out a time frame for the whole process and try to complete each case within that time frame. So for AOS for DV winners, it is a 4/5 month process, so I think even if you dont have your Biometrics appointment yet, you should still on schedule to get your Green card within 4-5 months of filing your application.

I do not think there is much you can do or obtain by going through infopass or using your lawyer...at least not at this stage. Just try to remain patient. If anybody should be scared, it should be the guys who's numbers are not going to be current until June/July next yr.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents and contribute something to the board because I've enjoyed reading you guy's experience and its been helpful thus far for me.

I am not concerned if it takes 4-5 months for my greencard. I am concerned that I will not get my Advance parole in the next 3.5 weeks. Im thinking those chances are getting slim seeing my case has not even been sent to the local office yet :(

I will be calling them tomorrow to put in the service request for my biometrics letter!

I am not concerned if it takes 4-5 months for my greencard. I am concerned that I will not get my Advance parole in the next 3.5 weeks........

Does AP (I-131) need biometrics, background checks completed to approve it? I thought it was supposed to be issued sooner while the other stuff are processed !!

Delayed Fingerprinting Appt.

For interview appointment Field office has to request MSC and they will schedule and send the interview letter.
I think this is the same case with Fingerprinting. This could be the case that, our field offices are too busy - and delaying our fingerprinting apppt.

Ausmatt, windv, lindinia254...which city you guys are from???please share if u don't mind.

I'm from washington dc. could be the case all of us are from busy uscis offices??? just a thought.

For interview appointment Field office has to request MSC and they will schedule and send the interview letter.
I think this is the same case with Fingerprinting. This could be the case that, our field offices are too busy - and delaying our fingerprinting apppt.

Ausmatt, windv, lindina254...which city you guys are from???please share if u don't mind.

I'm from washington dc. could be the case all of us are from busy uscis offices??? just a thought.

I am in New York City

Ausmatt, windv, lindinia254...which city you guys are from???please share if u don't mind.

shouldn't we be asking where the November filers are as well? after all, if they are in busy field offices, this theory is inapplicable!

You might be correct - timeframe for my office is April 04, 2008 for I-485, while yours are in July 30 (DC) and Oct 29 (NYC) 2007

Chicago
April 23, 2008 as of September 30, 2008

I think, these processing times doesn't apply to DV cases, as DV is the time sensitive case. Our cases shouldn't be stocked on queues like other cases which follows these processing times.

correct me if I am wrong???

just a thought?

I have heard of people having their biometrics taken without an appointment at their local office...

would this be worth a try? or would it just confuse your case further?

I think, these processing times doesn't apply to DV cases, as DV is the time sensitive case. Our cases shouldn't be stocked on queues like other cases which follows these processing times.

correct me if I am wrong???

I think you are totally right. I think those processing times apply to 485 based on employment or on family petitions...

otherwise it would be really unfair because persons who want to do AOS in big cities like NYC and DC would never get through the process even if they filed on the first day of the fiscal year and that would defeat the whole purpose of the DV lottery (which is that people whose visa numbers are current first should (at least in theory) get processed first!)

I have heard of people having their biometrics taken without an appointment at their local office...

would this be worth a try? or would it just confuse your case further?

it seems they wont let you do that because they need to scan some bar code that is on the biom. app letter. at least this is what other people with the same problem say. i am going to find out tomorrow

and you are absolutely right that dv cases are not processed according to these processing times.

Update.Interviewer gave me a verbal approval ( are they supposed to stamp your passport or something?) said they will call if they need anything, but everything seemed to be in order. It was short (15 mins). She told I should get the card in the next 6 weeks ( minimum).