• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

lindina254, thanks for your reply.

From reading previous posts, there seems to be two different opinions on weather we should send the DSP-230 form or not (for AOS). Some people say: it doesn't hurt, others say: it may confuse KCC. I see a lot of you guys sent both forms and it was ok. I don't want to start a new argument, but any last comments on that?

Thanks.

Just send the DSP-122, they only need the DS 230 if you do CP. In my opinin, if you send the DS 230, "may" confuse them, why take any chance, even if is minimal ?

Sorry, if I bother you guys too much - 3 posts for 2 hrs.

Is anybody applying for AOS at the New York City field office?

Do I have to put the address of the field office for question #4, form DSP-122?

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

4. NAME OF UNITED STATES CONSULAR OFFICE WHERE YOU WOULD LIKE TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION
This will usually be the consular office nearest the place you live. However, please note that some U. S. Embassies and Consulates do not
process immigrant visas. If you are not sure whether the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you processes immigrant visas, or if you do
not know which is the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you, please list the city and country where you live. If you live in the United States
and plan to adjust status with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services in the U.S., please list "BCIS"; if you live in the United States but you intend to return abroad to be interviewed, please list the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that processes immigrant visas for the area where you lived before you came to the United States.
So if you are persuing AOS then the proper answer is "BCIS". USCIS will figure out what local office to assign your case to. I hope that helps. :)

Thanks again.

I am in NYC so I am assuming my AOS will be eventually take place here (but for the reasons dematra very accurately explained I wrote USCIS as the answer on the DSP122)

Biometric experience

done with my biometric today, family of 4.
I was told that, my daughter might come back because one of here fingers is dry and has a lot cracks. But we have to wait for a letter in the mail, if there is a problem.

So the status is still bending online.

So watch out for your fingers, keep them look nice and clean.

Getting close to mailing out the package to the Chicago Lockbox next week. Couple of questions to just make sure on a couple things.

1. The documents in the package. Is it ok to staple pages together with documents that have more then one page? Leave them seperate? Paper clip them together?

2. Form I-485 Part 2: Under option "h". Is it ok to put just "Diversity Visa 2009 Lottery Winner"? Or do you need to put something else? I only found one person on page three that said what to put, but I just want to be sure what other people put.

3. What exactly is the I-797A, I-131 and I-765 for? I've seen other people with them but don't really understand what there purpose is.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The documents in the package. Is it ok to staple pages together with documents that have more then one page? Leave them seperate? Paper clip them together?
I would NOT recommend using staples on anything since they can damage your material. Consider using Binder Clips or simple paper clips or a combination of both.

2. Form I-485 Part 2: Under option "h". Is it ok to put just "Diversity Visa 2009 Lottery Winner"? Or do you need to put something else? I only found one person on page three that said what to put, but I just want to be sure what other people put.
"Diversity Visa", "DV", "Lottery", "DV Lottery" etc will work just fine. The USCIS manual instructs the people reviewing the forms to look for all those combinations.

3. What exactly is the I-797A, I-131 and I-765 for? I've seen other people with them but don't really understand what there purpose is.
I-797A is the H-1B approval notice. If you are not on H-1 don't worry about it.
I-131 - Application for Advance Parole. Its a travel authorization doc. Look it up coz it's might be impotant for you.
I-765 - Application for Emplyment Authorization Doccument. Also look this up coz it's might be impotant for you.

My girlfriend who I'm helping with this whole process for some reason insists on stapling documents with more than one page even when I highly advised her not to (only copied pages, not forms). Her reasoning is that the documents are copies of documents that are already stapled and thinks that they can get lost or they won't be able to understand the order of the pages since they are translation documents. The forms I can convince her not to staple. The ones she insists on stapling are the copies of I-20's, all of the translation documents that have more than one page.

I-797A - don't need, not an H-1. She's here on an F-1.

I-131 - Read about it, and I think I understand. She is already in the US and doesn't plan on going anywhere outside the country any time soon. So if I'm thinking right, she doesn't need this form.

I-175 - Read about it, and again I only think I understand. Since entering the US a few years ago (F-1 Visa) she has only been a student and has not been able to work here and doesn't have a company that is planning on hiring her if/when she gets a green card. Eventually she definitely will want a job obviously. So If I understand things right, she doesn't need this form?

I-175 - Read about it, and again I only think I understand. Since entering the US a few years ago (F-1 Visa) she has only been a student and has not been able to work here and doesn't have a company that is planning on hiring her if/when she gets a green card. Eventually she definitely will want a job obviously. So If I understand things right, she doesn't need this form?

I would say apply for the EAD (I-765) at least. Its free with her I-485 and if the AOS drags on for 9 months (it sometimes happens) then she will be able to work anywhere she wants in the meantime. She can make some extra scratch for your next birthday present.

My girlfriend who I'm helping with this whole process for some reason insists on stapling documents with more than one page even when I highly advised her not to (only copied pages, not forms). Her reasoning is that the documents are copies of documents that are already stapled and thinks that they can get lost or they won't be able to understand the order of the pages since they are translation documents. The forms I can convince her not to staple. The ones she insists on stapling are the copies of I-20's, all of the translation documents that have more than one page.

I-797A - don't need, not an H-1. She's here on an F-1.

I-131 - Read about it, and I think I understand. She is already in the US and doesn't plan on going anywhere outside the country any time soon. So if I'm thinking right, she doesn't need this form.

She can staple stuff that she wants to. Its okay, its just that its a lil bit more work for USCIS to put them apart.I would recommend absolutely stapling those I-20 pages cus they can get very confusing

I would say apply for the EAD (I-765) at least. .....

I'm curious about this I-765 procedure....for say F1,F2 or any such other.

Once you get I-485 based EAD (BEFORE I-485 approval), can you walk into the Social Security office and apply for an updated SS card with no restrictions mentioned on it. (or a NEW SS card for F2/H4 holders) ???
Then later ,say for some bad luck, your I-485 is rejected, then what?
I guess the EAD has an expiration date, but the new SS card?

PS: Ok....I know, then you're out of status...... but say you get a H1B/H4 and stay in US, I wonder whether the status of SS card change. I wonder these are the sort of things verified by E-Verify system?

I'm curious about this I-765 procedure....for say F1,F2 or any such other.

Once you get I-485 based EAD (BEFORE I-485 approval), can you walk into the Social Security office and apply for an updated SS card with no restrictions mentioned on it. (or a NEW SS card for F2/H4 holders) ???
Then later ,say for some bad luck, your I-485 is rejected, then what?
I guess the EAD has an expiration date, but the new SS card?

PS: Ok....I know, then you're out of status but say you get a H1B/H4 and stay in US, I wonder whether the status of SS card change. I wonder these are the sort of things verified by E-Verify system?

You don't get to update your SS card with just the EAD approval. The only time you would be able to update it (i.e. get one without the restriction) would be when your LPR status (I-485) is approved. The authorization they speak of on the SS card is your EAD.

By the way. I just have to say that everybody on this board has been absolutely wonderful and extremely helpful for this whole process. I am a natural US born citizen and I have gained a whole new respect for the process that people have to go through to get a green card. Without this board I honestly can say I don't think we would be as far as we are today. Thank you thank you thank you to everybody that has helped with this whole process. I wish the best of luck to everybody here and hope that you all get a green card.

You don't get to update your SS card with just the EAD approval........

So.....when one who is on F2 or H4 get EAD (based on pending I-485) they CAN apply and get a SS card, but the restriction clause will still be there? (until such time you get approved as a LPR?)

What do we put under current USCIS status in I-485 form?

You can answer this question by simply indicating your current immigration status, something like "F-1", "H-1B", "J-1", "K-1" e.t.c. will work. Resist any urge to over-complicate it. I hope that helps.

Affidavit of Support

I have a question regarding Affidavit of Support. My husband is 2009 DV winner, and both of us are currently on H1B. We are filing separate AOS, and we are confused whether or not I (spouse of DV winner, Application Type (b) in Part 2 of I-485) need to fill out I-864 (affidavit of Support). It's clear from the past thread that my husband (DV winner, Type (h) of I-485) just needs to show his job offer letter and/or our bank statements in lieu of the Affidavit of Support, but can I do the same? If I do have to file the Form I-864, do I need to ask a US citizen to sponsor my AOS even though each of us makes enough money and has worked in the US past 5 years on H-1B? I appreciate any advice on this.

@ Ausmatt7

I was dealing with the New Orleans office.They seemed really fast and efficient.My previous status was F1