• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Do you really like the United States ???

...and this will also depends on where you live. You may earn 60K for new college grad but if you live in NYC, that amount is still nothing compare to what your living expenses gonna be like over there.

Right! I forgot to mention that it will also depends where you live. :eek:

I am from western Europe with US green card.But I am very patriotic and proud to be European.

My reason coming to USA is experience and different lifestyle. I wanna try something new, meet new people, do some prospective business ... Be far from my homeland for a while. But US passport is not my goal! European one is equal.

You don't need visa to most world countries except Russia what I know :)

And one with EU passport has the leeway living and working in any of 27 EU member states ...

Various Reasons

I believe there are various reasons why anyone will like to LIVE in the US.The thought of it could be promted by economic,social,political and someimes personal reasons.I personally will like to live in the us just for the fact that i need a change in lifestyle.The reasons being that i 've lived in England for well over 10 years and the weather is very depressing most parts of the year.If it was for economic reasons, i bet i will rather stay here in England because i like the system very much.My wife is entitled to 9 months paid maternity leave,i myself am entitled to 2 weeks paid paternity leave, we both earn quite a decent salary and we are pretty much comfortable.We only considered emigrating to US 2 years ago when we had a lovely vacation visiting friends in Houston,Atlanta and North Carolina.Apart from everything, we were very much impressed with the weather which was very warm at the time when it was freezing cold in England(-3 degrees). American citizenship is the last thing on our minds and i must say that although we will seem to like it in America in terms of weather(depending if we settle in any of the warm states) ,we will never forefeit our British/Ghanaian Nationality .We don't expect to be well off overnight in America as we are aware of the fact that every dollar has to be earned.All said and done,we 'll be happy to be on the next available flight back to England if we feel life is unbearable economically.Finally, i will like to say that, one will be living in a fools paradise to think that it is all rosy in the USA.It will however be a good idea to go there with an ambition to succeed.Good luck to everybody

I know that it's not easy to live in the US ! I agree with you all ! Maybe living expenses in US is very high if compare to the other countries.I want to tell you that if you live in the big city like New York,the rent is very high.So,I decided that I will not live in the big city.I will live in the city like Chicago,Detroit and some other citites which the rent is lower than the rent in New York.Moreover,I'm single.So,I can share the room with the other persons or I rent only one room apartment which called studio in the US.It's cheaper for sure.If you study at the world most famous university like Harvard,it's very expensive for sure.I will choose cheap college or university.For the job,the salary of US$20000 - US$30000 per year is OK for me.I earn only about US$14000 per year in Taiwan.

There are many other ways to decrease the high living expenses !!! Use your brain !!! ;)

I hope all of you can understand !!!

Finally,don't forget that all of the permanent residents have dual citizenship.If you don't like the US,you can go back to your home country ! So,don't worry !!!

I know that relocating to the new country is very difficult.But,don't give up !!! Life is not smooth !!!

That's all !!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ! I also want to know more information about the US.Please feel free to discuss here in this thread.

I'm now finding the information about the US and preparing for me !

For example,I go to see the www.apartments.com to compare the rent in the US cities.I'm now preparing to pass TOEFL exam.I think I need this certificate to get admission to the US colleges or universities.I'm now planning to change my job as the chinese restaurant captain to the western restaurant captain at my hotel ! I think there are more western restaurants than chinese restaurants in US.So,I'm now trying to learn how to manage the western restaurants in order to find a job easier for me.

OUCH! .. my eyes hurt

DavidTseng, do u really have to use crazy fonts sizes to make your point :confused:

Fyi...dual citizenship does not mean u having a greencard while holding a Taiwanese passport...dual citizenship = US passport + Taiwanese passport

Fyi...dual citizenship does not mean u having a greencard while holding a Taiwanese passport...dual citizenship = US passport + Taiwanese passport

I mean you have US permanent resident card and at the same time,you also have your home country citizenship.That's what I mean ! ;)

Moreover,if you're US permanent resident,it means that you're on the road to be an american citizen.One day,you can be US citizen.If you get the US citizenship,you don't need to cancel your home country citizenship.US government recognize dual citizenship.That's what I know !!! Right ???

I like using big letters and bold letters ! Ha...Ha... :rolleyes:

That's my style !!!

If you get the US citizenship,you don't need to cancel your home country citizenship.US government recognize dual citizenship.That's what I know !!!
The question is, does your country allow dual citizenship?

From what I remember, the USA citizenship oath requires the applicant to give up all previous citizenship-s.

The USA government recognizes dual citizenship, but only if you obtain citizenship of another country after you get US citizenship.

Once you become US citizen, you are supposed to give up previous citizenships (during the oath). Apparently, they do not enforce it always, but if they find you holding previous citizenship they are legally allowed to cancel your US citizenship. Again, they rarely enforce this, but they could do it if they wanted... This is not an easy topic....

From what I remember, the USA citizenship oath requires the applicant to give up all previous citizenship-s.

The USA government recognizes dual citizenship, but only if you obtain citizenship of another country after you get US citizenship.

Once you become US citizen, you are supposed to give up previous citizenships (during the oath). Apparently, they do not enforce it always, but if they find you holding previous citizenship they are legally allowed to cancel your US citizenship. Again, they rarely enforce this, but they could do it if they wanted... This is not an easy topic....

Oh ! Really ???

Anyway,thanks for your information !
According to my knowledge,there are many people from Taiwan including some of my relatives and friends who have US citizenship and at the same time they also have Taiwan citizenship.

I heard that if you become US citizen,you can't apply another citizenship anymore.If you apply another citizenship after you become US citizen and if US government found that they will cancel your US citizenship.Is it true ??? But,I didn't hear before that if you become US citizen,you have to give up your previous citizenship.Are you sure ??? I don't think so.

I heard that if you become US citizen,you can't apply another citizenship anymore.If you apply another citizenship after you become US citizen and if US government found that they will cancel your US citizenship.Is it true ??? But,I didn't hear before that if you become US citizen,you have to give up your previous citizenship.Are you sure ??? I don't think so.

It is somewhat true. It will depends how you obtain the citizenship. Through birth/parents or through naturalization.

Citizenship through birth or parents usually don't require you to take any oath. It is automatically given to you because you qualified based on your country of birth or your parents citizenship. On the other hand, citizenship through naturalization requires you to take oath, and this is usually happen because you choose to be the citizen of that country.

After you become a U.S citizen, you can not apply another citizenship through naturalization. You can only be another country citizen through birth/parents.

As far as dual-citizenship. It differs from country to country. U.S acknowledge dual-citizenship from certain countries. Not all countries in the world recognized dual-citizenship. You have to see your own country immigration regulation if they acknowledge it. I know my country don't recognized dual-citizenship. If someday I become a U.S citizen and got caught by my country authority that I have two citizenship, they will revoke my citizenship (the non U.S one). U.S usually don't do this (revoke citizenship) because they acknowledge dual-citizenship.

The other thing is that most countries like the U.S don't report to the other country if their citizen has been getting another citizenship. Most of the time you have to voluntarily report to your country' embassy or consulate and let them know that you are no longer their citizen. I have seen people from countries that don't recognized dual-citizenship who keep their old passport after being a U.S citizen and try to enter their home country with the old passport, while exiting the country with the U.S passport. It is a very tricky and dangerous move because in some countries, this is consider a crime.

Oh ! I also want to know more information about the US.Please feel free to discuss here in this thread.

I'm now finding the information about the US and preparing for me !

For example,I go to see the www.apartments.com to compare the rent in the US cities.I'm now preparing to pass TOEFL exam.I think I need this certificate to get admission to the US colleges or universities.I'm now planning to change my job as the chinese restaurant captain to the western restaurant captain at my hotel ! I think there are more western restaurants than chinese restaurants in US.So,I'm now trying to learn how to manage the western restaurants in order to find a job easier for me.

When you decide to go to the U.S, the first thing you need to decide is where do you want to go. U.S is a very big country. I know most Asians would choose to go to either California or New York. These two States are great place to live but the living expense could be quite expensive. If you never been to the U.S or don't know anyone in the country, I would suggest research some places. The big cities offers more job opportunities but also more competition while the small cities/town offers less opportunities but less competition. It will all depends what is your skill/education level and how well will you do competing with the locals. I know it would be hard to decide just from looking pictures or reading it from the net, but it would give you some idea before you decide. If you decide too late, you might end up spending a lot of money moving from places to places.

You can also choose the place you want to stay based on jobs or education. If your primary destination in the U.S is to find job. Go to job search website over the internet and see where are the places that have more opening of your profession (in this case, chef?).

On the other hand, if your primary destination in the U.S is to find education, research on schools that offers the program/major that you like to go to. There are many schools in the U.S to choose from. Requirements to go enter a university in the U.S is tough. If you coming from another country, you need to show a very good grades on your high school transcript, taking the TOEFL or SAT. The University entrance system in the U.S is quite lenient compare to the University entrance in other countries. It is not easy but is possible. I'm talking about regular universities, not Ivy League Univesrsites like Harvard, Yale, Standford, MIT, etc. There are ways to get into University in the U.S, either through Community College, as a transfer student, or through high SAT and transcript score.

I have some questions ! Can I get housing loan and school fee loan as the US permanent resident ??? Can I apply credit card ? I really want to know about that ! I also want to know that do I need to join the US army for the compulsory military service ?

I know that I can't get the US government job if I'm not US citizen.What kind of jobs are high paid except IT,engineering,medicine ?

I have some questions ! Can I get housing loan and school fee loan as the US permanent resident ??? Can I apply credit card ?

I know that I can't get the US government job if I'm not US citizen.What kind of jobs are high paid except IT,engineering,medicine ?
if you satisfy all of this, yes you can get housing loan.
1. You have good credit score
2. You have 20~% of downpayment
3. You have jobs/asset to pay mortgage enough.

Good payment job other than those ? Investers....... or drug dealers.

I have some questions ! Can I get housing loan and school fee loan as the US permanent resident ??? Can I apply credit card ? I really want to know about that ! I also want to know that do I need to join the US army for the compulsory military service ?

Good question. One of the key element for living in the U.S is Credit Score. Almost very aspect of living in the U.S revolve in your credit score, from getting a credit card, getting a rent for apartment, getting a phone and cell phone, getting utilities (electricity, water, etc), car loan, house loan, school loan, etc.

Every time you are going to open one of these account, they will do a credit check. They will ask your Social Security number and check it with the credit agency to determine if you are qualified. If your credit seems ok, they will approve it, but if not, get ready for a bit of a hard time.

If you don't have a credit yet, the option for loans, etc will be difficult. The options that they will give you if you don't have credit are: show your monthly pay check, show your income tax return, pay certain amount of deposit, or have a cosigner.

Credit is important in the U.S because it is the way companies and banks can check if you can make the appropriate payments. In other word, it shows your financial behavior.

Building credit in the U.S and maintaining a good credit will give you a lot of benefit in the future. The way you can build credit is by getting a credit card and start making monthly payment, paying bills regularly (phone bills, electricity, etc). After a while, your credit will build up and you can start making big purchases like car loans, house loans, etc. Don't expect to get a house loan as soon as you get to the U.S, no one will give it to you. Start small, like car loan. After couple of years, then start thinking of getting a house loan.

Applying credit card without credit score will also be tricky. Just get ready for rejection letter from the credit card companies saying that your credit is unclear. Take your time and search carefully, there are many credit cards companies in the U.S, eventually one of them will bound to give approve you one. The best option for first timer is the Credit Card for Students, almost all credit card companies like American Express, Citi, Chase, Capital One, have one. They offer these credit card for younger adults who just starting to build credits. They will almost approve it even if someone don't have enough credit. Once you get one credit card and start using it, the rest are easy, credit card companies will send you tons of offers to get their credit card because you have shown to have one. Very weird.. :rolleyes:

Compulsory military in the U.S? They don't do this in the U.S. Military in the U.S is by choice or volunteer. If you want to serve in the U.S military, you just contact your local military recruiter where you live and they will sign you up for training. I can't recall there is a time in the U.S history where their citizen is required to join the military. Even during WWI and WWII, military service is voluntarily. I don't know if you ever seen the sign with Uncle Sam saying "I want you." It is how they attract people back in WWII to join the military. :D

High paying job in the U.S...besides IT, medicine, and engineering. Law, accounting, finance, etc. A lot of job can be a high paying job, it will all depends what is your position and how good you are. The field of IT, medicine, and engineering is high paid because those jobs are currently in high demand in the U.S. My advice, don't study something because of the money, study because you like what you are studying and love doing it. If you like what you are doing, you are more likely to be the best at that field and make a lot of money from it. :)