Atlanta Local Office Processing

Thank you realcanadian. I went over my case again. I don't think there is anything wrong. However, only thing about my status makes me confused. I am a F-1 student. It is my understanding that F-1 is non-immigration visa. I am not sure what status I am after my husband filed 485 for me. Although my husband applied EAD for me, I didn't inform anything to INS. So I am not sure if my status is F-1 or 485 pending. I don't know how to answer that if I am asked this question during interview. BTW, I live in NY and file 485 using my husband address in ATL as in my previous post. Can this cause problem? Again, thank you for your advice.

stareee said:
However, only thing about my status makes me confused. I am a F-1 student. It is my understanding that F-1 is non-immigration visa. I am not sure what status I am after my husband filed 485 for me.

It's not up to you to determine what your status is.

*All* lettered statuses are non-immigrant statuses, including H, L, TN, R, F, J, B, E and K. (They go A through V nowadays, I believe.) Unless you filed the I-485 within 30-60 days of your last entry as an F student, there should be no issue.

For what it's worth, my wife filed her I-485 while in B-2 status. No one even batted an eye.

StillWaiting02 said:
I wanted to thank all the members of this board for their contributions. Real Canadian, thanks for all advises... Today I got my passport stamp, the interview did not take more 20 minutes, the usual questions, work employment letter, the educaction, etc... No mention of taxes or pay stub. The examiner was very nice. I'm glad it's over for me. Good luck to all the applicants that are still waiting. :) :) :)

Congratulations!

Congratulations!!!

StillWaiting02 said:
I wanted to thank all the members of this board for their contributions. Real Canadian, thanks for all advises... Today I got my passport stamp, the interview did not take more 20 minutes, the usual questions, work employment letter, the educaction, etc... No mention of taxes or pay stub. The examiner was very nice. I'm glad it's over for me. Good luck to all the applicants that are still waiting. :) :) :)

After nearly 14 years, (5 years as F1, BSEE, 8 years as H-1B), with 3 FP's, 2 EAD's and 2 AP's, 2 medicals redone, 4 status inquiry, endless wait/frustration TUFAN finally has a chance to get premanent residency!!!! :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :eek:

Just to make the long story short, guys i emailed an email to Senator Lyndsy Graham of South Carolina regarding my adjustment of status complaining that when Charleston is processing Dec -01 cases then why my interview is not scheduled as yet. this senator has been following up on my case for almost 1 year even when my case was pending at Vermont. The senator emailed Charleston office on 10/04 for the follow up and the same day Charleston Scheduled me for an interview on Oct 29th. I can probably call it a coinsidense.

I'll be almost three years since i filed my I-485. :eek:

I have some quesitons as the sheets are requesting whole lot of documents. Some of the employment documents are standard, employment letter, w2's, paystub, copy of i-140, fed tax returns, copy of labor etc!!!

However, Charleston office has send a standard sheet (somethings probably don't apply to me) ex. any convictions/arrests!!! In the sheet they have requested medicals in an envolope. I already send the recent medical to Vermont and after that my case was transferred. Why would they need the originals again, i can always get them from the doctor but just confused?

The sheet does not say what officer, just adjucation officer!! and it also says that this is a checklist for Charleston and Greer South Carolina offices!!!
Does Atlanta gets similar sheet? Becasuse on the next page it explains what's required for family bases, employment based and marriage based applications?

Secondly, they have not asked for any photos? Seems they'll take pictures on site or use the old ones? I guess i could take just incase.

Thrid, My wife interview is scheduled before me? :D

Fourth, state issued driver's license and passport. i still carry virginia license? is request just for photo id, or driver's license for South Carolina is must? :confused:

I was supposed to be scheduled in Greer as the office is only 10 mins away from my house, however now i'll have to go to charleston, which is 3 hours away!!! Everything is just so unpredictable? :mad:

5th, THIS INTERVIEW is going to be video taped? as if we are criminals or something? ist that pretty common? :rolleyes:

6th, original birth certificates

7th, it's confusing that they did not mention of me being out of status? if you remember i had aleady gone to local office in Greer and gave them copies of my H-1B transfer notices showing i am in status?

Real Canadaian could you please shed some light on the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
way to go buddy...!

tufan said:
After nearly 14 years, (5 years as F1, 8 years as H-1B), with 3 FP's, 2 EAD's and 2 AP's, TUFAN finally has a chance to get premanent residency!!!!

Congratulations. You are one patient applicant!! Really feel good to see it coming through for you. I will let other experienced guys like TheRealCanadian answer your questions, however I think you are in good shape, the issues you mentioned do not seem to be very difficult.
Good luck!

Interview Related Question

Is there a possibility that EB based cases get denied during the interview.
AC21 case, but was not working for the sponsoring company when I-485 filed.Currently all requirements met for AC21 case , but if officer questions abt the past ????

Also FP results( 2nd FP) were cleared and sent back to TSC when my case was filed in VSC ... Confusing

Experts please advice. My officer is B
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RD 08/02
TD 01/04
ID 10/04

Congratulations Tufan...

on getting the interview and hopefully that will also be your stamping date too. I think your restlessness and querying too much might have pushed USCIS to video tape the interview. Atlast they would have got fed up and thought "ok let's schedule him now".

"Agar film kisi theater mein release ho gi to batayio paise de kar bhi dekhne jaayenge, tere ko thappa lagwate hue".

Anyway man, happy for you, just relax don't get excited or overexcited, take all your paperwork as asked and behave with the officer, don't get restless there. Driver License I believe is only for ID purpose.

Good Luck, you are only 22 days away from PR

premchopra and bapu9, thanks guys for your support! When there's nobody to help in the WORLD, this forum and you guys, my friends are the biggest support. :)

I guess, South Carolina is strict in many ways. Even the DMV sucks here and it's very tough to get driver's license. Maybe it's becuase of the port here. Lots of ships with containers come here. Therefore, it must be a procedural thing. you know these guys are so unpredicatable in many ways

I am myself hoping this saga ends soon for everybody so that we can all move on with our lives and focus on something more important.

Any inputs/suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated!!! :)

Tufan,

Congratulations! I think God heard your prayer. Most of the time interview will go smoothly. When they send interview notice in Atlanata, they have standard document list to bring for family based and Emp based cases. I think medical is not required since we send it along with 485 application. In my case also it was there but i did not carry, they did not ask. I carried pay stubs, three years tax return, EVL, birth certificates, marriage certificates, all H1's. Out of which the officer asked for pay stubbs, tax return and EVL. She did not ask for any other documents. She just confirmed date of birth, marriage date. Begining she asked for photo identification, i gave passport, she did not ask for Driver's licence. Because of pending name check, she did not stamp our passport, so not sure about photos. I think sometime they use same photographs attached to 485 application. There also they take photo's, not sure it is free or you have to pay. Safer side better carry photographs. I thought they videotape all the interviews, not sure though. All the best for your interview, take it easy, you should be allright.

tufan said:
I'll be almost three years since i filed my I-485. :eek:

Congratulations on being proactive, keeping informed, and getting your interview. Let's make sure yu walk out with a stamp! :)

Some of the employment documents are standard, employment letter, w2's, paystub, copy of i-140, fed tax returns, copy of labor etc!!!

As the I-140 and LC are employer documents, you should not be expected to have them and they should already be in the file. If you can get copies, great, but don't sweat it if you can't. You would never have gotten this far if the original I-140 and LC packages weren't in your A-file.

In the sheet they have requested medicals in an envolope. I already send the recent medical to Vermont and after that my case was transferred. Why would they need the originals again, i can always get them from the doctor but just confused?

If you've paid for two sets of medicals, there is absolutely no reason to get them done again unless there was a problem. There is a memorandum from Bill Yates stating that EB-485 applicants automatically have their medicals valid through 12/31/2004, no matter when they were done. My original medicals from August 2001 were still valid in July 2004. Look around the USCIS site for their implementation memos, or do a search here for medicals and memorandum and my name. I posted a link to it a while back.

It's a reasonably official looking PDF, not a web page, so you should be able to print it out and bring it with you.

Secondly, they have not asked for any photos? Seems they'll take pictures on site or use the old ones? I guess i could take just incase.

They will use the original photos. I look a lot different than I did in 2001. :)

Thrid, My wife interview is scheduled before me?

You'll do yours together. Your wife will not be asked very much.

Fourth, state issued driver's license and passport. i still carry virginia license? is request just for photo id, or driver's license for South Carolina is must?

It's required for photo ID and proof of residence. If it does not reflect your current residence I would suggest that you try and get an SC drivers' license before your interview. While I doubt there is a compelling legal reason, what you do not want is for the officer to raise eyebrows.

Remember, this is all a routine formality. You have all the documents, all is in order and nothing is complicated or out of the ordinary. The moment stuff starts getting different or unusual, extra scrutiny gets applied.

5th, THIS INTERVIEW is going to be video taped? as if we are criminals or something? ist that pretty common?

I've heard of it happenning at Newark; in a lot of cases the interview notice mentioned videotaping but it didn't actually happen. Remember that anything you say at your interview can be used against you 50 years later to strip you of citizenship and deport you, so tell the truth and do not worry.

7th, it's confusing that they did not mention of me being out of status? if you remember i had aleady gone to local office in Greer and gave them copies of my H-1B transfer notices showing i am in status?

Or maybe someone at Charleston USCIS has a clue about 245k. :)

Let's get those documents together and see if you can get an SC license. Good luck!

To Real C

Real C, I am quite impressed by your precise answers. Why don't you join law school and get the degree. You feel really good.

Hi Guys

My wife and I had our interview at the Atlanta USCIS. Our dates are in my signature. The 485 was transferred from TSC to Atlanta DSC on August 9.

Our case was a bit different than others because we did not have our FPs done. Last week Atlanta case officer Z.A called my immigration attorney and asked us to come down for an interview on October 7 (today).

The first thing I noticed was that even with appointments, you have to wait in line outside the Atlanta CIS office to get in. But thankfully, we reached there well ahead of our interview time and got in with time to spare. We waited in the area outside Room 287. The officer then called us into his office.

Our attorney was with us and he knew the officer and joked around with him, so the mood was relaxed. The officer focused on my wife's case and asked us for bonafides of our marriage. We gave some wedding photos, drivers licenses showing same addres, wedding invitations, marriage certificate, joint bank statements, utility bills, credit card statements, rental lease agreement, joint tax returns. He remarked that in our case, perhaps some of the information from my file went to my wife's and vice versa. He also said that some of the clerical stuff was not done. That seems to be what triggered the interview call.

From me, he just wanted my college degree certificate and a recent letter of employment (I work for the same company).

After that, he gave us our FP notices. The whole interview did not take more than 20-25 minutes. We then drove up to the Buford Highway ASC and got the FP done within a couple of hours.

We'll now just have to wait for the FPs to clear and hope that it leads to approval soon.

Thanks for sharing information, ATLDesi. Hope you will get GC soon. Our FP have been cleared within 3 business days. Is your wife the dependent? Which officer did you have?

stareee said:
Thanks for sharing information, ATLDesi. Hope you will get GC soon. Our FP have been cleared within 3 business days. Is your wife the dependent? Which officer did you have?

Thanks. The officer was Z.A. I'm the primary and my wife is the dependant.

Is there any way to check to see if the FPs have been processed?

FBI name check number 202-324-2399
FBI Fax no: 202-324-3367
FBI Finger print check: 304-625-5590, 304-625-2406

I did not call FBI to check the FP results. I got emails from USCIS saying that our FP has been cleared. ATLDesi, could you share more information about your case and interview if possible? Our case is like yours. I am the dependent but my husband and I live in two places because I am still a student. Did the officer ask your wife any questions? How many years have your been married? I am just curious why the officer focused on your wife's case. Thank you very much for your information.

stareee said:
FBI name check number 202-324-2399
FBI Fax no: 202-324-3367
FBI Finger print check: 304-625-5590, 304-625-2406

I did not call FBI to check the FP results. I got emails from USCIS saying that our FP has been cleared. ATLDesi, could you share more information about your case and interview if possible? Our case is like yours. I am the dependent but my husband and I live in two places because I am still a student. Did the officer ask your wife any questions? How many years have your been married? I am just curious why the officer focused on your wife's case. Thank you very much for your information.

Sure.

I have been working for 5 years for the same company. They filed an EB-2 case for me in 2000. I-140 cleared in mid 2001. I got married in India in April 2002. Then me and wife came over here. She was on a H-4 visa. We then filed our I-485 together in June 2002. Since then, my wife has become a full-time grad-student. We both live together, in Atlanta.

The officer focused on my wife's case. He asked her the standard set of questions - Are you a communist etc. Then he asked us to prove our bonafides, in terms of our married life. Other than inspecting each document closely, the officer did not ask too many questions to my wife.

I think they just wanted to verify that we were married. BTW, my wife kept her maiden name, so I'm not sure if that triggered the interview.

The Real C, Atldesi, RSK1, Dukhi, all you guys are wonderful. Thanks for all the support and great information. I salute you guys.

The Real C, the only drawback i see with getting the license right now is that, south carolina does not give license right away. they send your information to their main office in Columbia, South Carolina and until your verification is completed with USCIS they do not send the license in the mail. in the interim they take your old license away and give you a paper with temp south carolina license.
If i were to get license right now i would loose my photo-id. Maybe i'll tell the officer that i am in consulting and my job requires me to move every 6-8 months and soon i'll be going back to Virginia.

The only concern is my original birth certificate. It's original but it is 30 years old and you know how things are done in India. My birthdate is sort of scribbled. I am only concerned about that. I'll take my high school marksheet for the confirmation. However, i did get a letter from Muncipality in India stating that my birth records are not been found. I hope this does not become and issue.

Secondly, i have heard many cases where people get interviewed but since name check is not cleared they don't get stampled. I had inquired before my case was transferred from Vermont that they were cleared. I did 3rd FP's in Charleson in July and the officer did not question me about my virginia license. i am hoping that my name check came back as the FP's were done again.

I have copy of I-140and LC as after my last h-1b approval the lawyer gave it to me per the law.
I think i'll keep my F-1 papers also and maybe if i can find my old passport incase they question me about my past as a student.

Rest everything is in god's hand.
R we allowed to take the kids? my son is 2, and unfortunately he won't stay without us for more than 3-4 hours. and we don't know anyone in charleston. when i had gone from my FP's and EAD to the same office they did not complain, except we had to keep our son quite which was hard.

I'll ask you more questions if i'll run into anything.
thanks.

I'd like to know what happens after we get our fingerprints taken?

Staree has given a few numbers above, but I'm not sure which one to call.

Can someone help?

Thanks

ATLDesi said:
I'd like to know what happens after we get our fingerprints taken?

Staree has given a few numbers above, but I'm not sure which one to call.

Can someone help?

Thanks

ATL desi, for you the biggest hurdle is gone. Atleast you done with the interview and there were no Red Flags.

Basically, after the fingerprints are taken. They are sent to FBI. FBI does the cleareance same day and returns back to the local office or the service center where you case is filed. Name check is a different procedure. If FBI had already cleared your name check/background check they send those results with the fingerprints.
Once your local service center receives all that information they will send you approval letter at home requesting you to come again and get the ULTIMATE red stamp on your passport. Your cards would ordered there after.

Hope everything will work out for you. You can call this number and find out if your FP's were returned to local center. i would wait until monday.
304-625-5590. please provide your A# to representative.

they won't tell you the results but they will say when they sent your results to the local service center.