Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

I had my interview today, very nice lady and started to go through the I-400 and when it came arrests she asked me how I got me green card and what was the reason and we went all the milestones in my asylum application and she took notes about the events, dates etc.
My 5 year anniversary is 2 weeks away. She marked decision can not make box and told me that they will mail me the letter (I am hoping to get oath letter but nothing else)

Look at the following questions from the N-400. Please pay attention to how the questions are asked. I am not arguing here what’s wrong and what is right. But the initial assumption any one can make that leads to right or wrong.

Part 10 - B – Question # 8a - Have you ever been a member of or associated with any organization, association, fund, foundation, part, club, society or similar group in the United States or in any other place?

I cannot assume that this only applies in USA. It clearly states “OR IN ANY OTHER PLACE”

But if the same question was phrased like this to begin with

“Have you ever been a member of or associated with any organization, association, fund, foundation, part, club, society or similar group? “

I can assume that this can only applies to events in USA. (I can be wrong or right depending who is interviewing me and how their interpretation at that time is)

Now let’s look at Part 10 – D – Question #16 –

#16 – Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

Here I can assume (I can be wrong or right depending who is interviewing me and how their interpretation at that time is) this ONLY applies to events in USA

But Instead if it reads/phrased like this

“Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason in the United States or in any other place?

I cannot assume that this only applies to events in USA and if I do I claim my self to be stupid.

Besides the reason that you didn't meet the 5 year rule , the officer was clearly asking you how come they give you the green card with all the arrest records that you had before she knows/realizes that it relates to your asylum case. Her interpretation of the #16 is clearly ties to events that happened in the USA. But this interpretation might be different if other IO with a different asylum interview experience comes along.

What do you guys think about the assumptions if the questions are phrased differently?

My X-wife applied for asylum couple of yrs ago! and she was the primary, I got my GC 3 yrs ago this way, last year unfortunately we divorced.
So my question is am I going to get any problem when Apply for citizenship. I have had travel to COP before

please some one answer my question,,
appreciation

please some one answer my question,,
appreciation

Give us some background about your marriage. when, where, how long did it last, did it happened before your spouse applyed for asylum or betwen recommended and final approval and etc.

Give us some background about your marriage. when, where, how long did it last, did it happened before your spouse applyed for asylum or betwen recommended and final approval and etc.

Hi, we married before come to USA in our country, and yes It was prior to apply for asylum, and our marriage lasted for about 6 yrs and a half. We divorced about 1 year and a half after I got my GC

Hi everyone.

Today Wednesday 17 march, 2010 I had received my original interview letter for April 19, 2010 at 8:45 am.

It seems I was mistaken about my mom's interview. She wasn't clear about what happened, which is really annoying. She wasn't really asked to provide additional evidence. She was asked to write an explanation as to why she went to her COP, and was told that she shouldn't really worry because her reasons seemed sound, and that a decision would be made. So, I guess she's just waiting for her decision and oath letter? Do you know how long CIS have to send her a letter? Her interview was on February 24.

My mom got a re-interview letter today. They asked her to bring her passport, GC, ID, and proof of why she went to her COP. Has anyone else had this happen? She has letters from the hospital where here parents were admitted, but is there anything else she can take? Thanks.

Hi El Cafe. I think that is pretty much it the proof from hospital that illustrates kind of illness. I think they are making a big deal but your mom should be OK. Good luck to her.

Yeah, I guess they are taking this seriously, but I haven't seen anyone on this forum (a derivative asylee, at least) who has been summoned for another interview for this reason, so it's just surprising.

what do you mean by RFE?

Did the IO take your mom passport away at the first interview? thanks.. best of luck

RFE = they want more evidence of why she went to her COP. They most definitely did NOT take her passport. They can't do that! She's going for a re-interview.

RFE = they want more evidence of why she went to her COP. They most definitely did NOT take her passport. They can't do that! She's going for a re-interview.

I am a derivative asylee and I have my FP appointment today. I've travelled back to my COP 3 times due to health related issues and a couple of surgeries were done as well. I am a little nervous about the interview because I'm sure they'll ask me why did I go. I plan on bringing translated copies of the documents that proove what I had done but I hope this won't cause an issue. Not too many people in this forum discuss experience as derivative asylees and it's not clear what are our responsibilities as such. I will keep everyone posted on my case.

Cafe,
I thought you had said that your mom was okay. That the question about traveling back to her COP had been clarify there and then, during the interview.
When is her next interview?:confused:

Yeah, my mom doesn't explain things to me properly, or she confuses herself an makes assumptions. Her next interview's on the 15th of April. Her timeline is below.

liubovche, there is no guarantee you'll be questioned about your trips. Still, take the evidence, know your rights and the memos issued by CIS regarding derivatives, explain the situation, and I think things will go smoother than they did with my mom, who wasn't properly prepared.

my friend CAFECONLECHE
don't worry..everything is gonna be alright with your mon....did she get all the forms and letters? i gonna ask you something... if you want you can send me a private...where your family come from? YOU DON'T NEED TO ANSWER on here( public)...but you can send me a private...why i'm asking you ?..i have an idea that they are giving more hell to people from some countries than other ones..maybe i'm wrong./.BUT YOUR MON IS GONNA BE FINE..she went for a justified reason..not a vacation..was her family health..that's humanitary
good wishes and waiting good news from you and her

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, my mom doesn't explain things to me properly, or she confuses herself an makes assumptions. Her next interview's on the 15th of April. Her timeline is below.

liubovche, there is no guarantee you'll be questioned about your trips. Still, take the evidence, know your rights and the memos issued by CIS regarding derivatives, explain the situation, and I think things will go smoother than they did with my mom, who wasn't properly prepared.

cafeconleche,
are the memos you mention posted somewhere on this forum? if not where can I find them.
Thanka

Well... Eventhough there arent any specific information as to what can a derivatively asylee do, browsing on the USCIS website i found out that once you apply to GC, you change your status to a resident. So, in case that the situation for which you fled your COP changes, you wont longer qualify for the asylee status, but having the GC can protect you from that. Furthermore, as a LPR you have the rights to travel etc. I also called the 1800 # of UCSI in the past, and they told me the same.

I was'n able to post the link (because am new to the site) but you can find it under "Green Card for asylee" on the USCIS web