Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your comments about this matter.

I became a LPR (2005) through a derivative asylum approved in 2001 , and am getting ready to apply for my citizenship. Reading the thread made me reflect on whether I should file or not an N-400, am worried because since I became LPR I have traveled 11 times outside the US for periods between 2-5 months. Most of the time I spent outside was studying abroad and doing research, out of the 11 trips, 5 of them were to my COP where I also studied.

Am afraid to be put on removal proceeding if I apply.

Please any light about this?

Derivative Asylum approved: 2001
n-485 application filed: 2004
N-485 approved:2005
GC received: 2006

Hi everyone

I had send my N-400 application on Tuesday 01/26/2010.
I know some people will ask the question why I did not apply early the reason was some financial issue.

Good luck to everyone.

Hi everyone.
I had received a text message and e-mail around 1:45 AM Mountain Time.
Is this message about FP notice?

** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: NBC*XXXXXXXX Application Type: N400 , APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION

Current Status: Request for Additional Evidence Sent

On February 17, 2010, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within the current processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375-5283.

*Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov under Check My Case Status and Check Processing Times.
*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

My mom had her interview on the 24th in SF. I don't know all the details, but she got her GC through asylum. She made 2 trips to her COP because her parents are pretty sick. She is a derivative asylee, and she hadn't been to her COP since 1998, so conditions have changed, and our family have moved to another state. The IO asked he why she went, and she explained that she had wanted to go much earlier, but was afraid to do so, both because of fear in her COP, and because she didn't want to jeopardise her status in the US, but eventually she felt the need to go. She consulted a couple of lawyers, other people in the same situation, and I researched this forum and CIS memos for her, and eventually she made the decision to go. Anyway, the IO said that she was sure she would be approved if she provided proof that her parents were in the hospital. She should have taken these before, but she felt it wouldn't be necessary, since many people were not asked about COP trips. So, she's waiting for the additional evidence letter or whatever.

Not necessarily. I think our status will always come up and then the question about traveling internationally and to the COP will follow. Especially after reading InQ4GC's experience, I am convinced now that those who don't get asked about the COP are the ones that aren't the norm.

We'll wait to see what others say as they go through the process.

Well, I was asked if I was out of the country after receiving GC not particularly to find out if it was COP or not. An IO made no deal while I mentioned yes, once & that was my COP.
So going back to COP issue is a debating issue. Based on applicants personal experiences one could say it's not a big deal ( as mine ) & then again others might face difficuties depending upon their experiences doing so.
In a nutshell one's US citizenship or any experiences depend on the IO completely. If you are lucky & find a nice friendly IO your store will be very pleasant as mine than on the other hand it could be completely the opposite. Now commiting crime, felony or criminal records carries different waight. So all that I mentioned excludes those for sure.
Atique.

My mom had her interview on the 24th in SF. I don't know all the details, but she got her GC through asylum. She made 2 trips to her COP because her parents are pretty sick. She is a derivative asylee, and she hadn't been to her COP since 1998, so conditions have changed, and our family have moved to another state. The IO asked he why she went, and she explained that she had wanted to go much earlier, but was afraid to do so, both because of fear in her COP, and because she didn't want to jeopardise her status in the US, but eventually she felt the need to go. She consulted a couple of lawyers, other people in the same situation, and I researched this forum and CIS memos for her, and eventually she made the decision to go. Anyway, the IO said that she was sure she would be approved if she provided proof that her parents were in the hospital. She should have taken these before, but she felt it wouldn't be necessary, since many people were not asked about COP trips. So, she's waiting for the additional evidence letter or whatever.

I always thought that deravative asylee will be exempt from this kind of problem or questions and I have seen many who spend more time on their primary asylue COP than US and have had no problem for citizenship and thought very simple answer to the possible question would be I have no problem going back because I am not primary asylee applicant but now this story proves again that it all depends on IO. I know a lot of deravative asylee or refugees who even has not been asked anything.
I am sure your mother will be okay even if is not able to provide any evidence but it might require convincing IO or some fighting back.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom has evidence. She was worried about going each time, and debated whether or not it was wise. But, she didn't want to regret it, and in the end, she decided to take the risk, but didn't get the proof properly. She'll call my relatives to get additional information sent.

My mom has evidence. She was worried about going each time, and debated whether or not it was wise. But, she didn't want to regret it, and in the end, she decided to take the risk, but didn't get the proof properly. She'll call my relatives to get additional information sent.
hello cafeconleche
I'm sure your mon will be fine...THIS IS THE THIRD TIME THAT i hear something about san francisco office...some places in california are more rigid about questions about cops visits...just only that office....florida and georgia are not like that..i don;t know about new york state...where i live..i never been and don;t plan to travel to cop...but if for you never know..god protect us i must go for a family emeregency..i will go...god protect my family and sure i will not have any need to go..that's why i really really want to be american citizen...i want this year fly to aply soon...
if someone have experience with new york state offices or had the apointment there please can tell us your experience...i feel that san francisco officials are really rigid about this subject..thanks god i don;t live there

Cheers osogio, I'm not too worried about her application. I'm not sure about NY (I live in NYC, but never renewed my passport or went to my COP), but I'm sure there is someone who has posted their experience.

It has more to do with who you claim to be. In your original asylum application, if you claimed to be some renowned human rights activist and the government still in power, good luck.

Otherwise, I don't see this as that damaging.

Interviewed today (Miami - 03/04/2010) it took 5 minutes without a problem.
Reviewed my application, verified my address and phone number asked me 6 of the questions, asked me to read a simple sentence and write a simple sentence.
IO only asked me for my Green Card; she didn't ask me for my passport even though I did list several trips abroad on my application- non to my COP
Signed a couple of forms including one that had the information that will appear on my Certificate.
IO told me that because my 5 year since residency was on the 10th of March she had to wait until then for approval but that I will get a letter in the mail shortly after the 10th.
She also told me that oath ceremony was on March 31st.
So just waiting for Ceremony letter.
My wife was also interviewed and it was exactly the same with a different IO.

douls,

was this notice a FP notice? I received the same email this morning and I was wondering what it might be.

My X-wife applied for asylum couple of yrs ago! and she was the primary, I got my GC 3 yrs ago this way, last year unfortunately we divorced.
So my question is am I going to get any problem when Apply for citizenship. I have had travel to COP before

I had my interview today, very nice lady and started to go through the I-400. I didn't travel to my COP and didn't renew my NP. I thought it will be easier that this since I didn't do anything wrong but I can tell you if you asylee it is NOT walk in the park and your past will follow you until the end. Later she asked 6 questions and told me to read and write some sentences. My 5 year anniversary is 2 weeks away. She marked decision can not make box and told me that they will mail me the letter (I am hoping to get oath letter but nothing else). I am not writting this to scare the people but to warn them to study your case and prepare to answer few/some/a lot of questions about your past.
Best of luck guys

Hey guys, as I mentioned before, my mom was asked during her interview about her COP visits, and she was told to send in/bring in evidence when she receives another letter with the request. Do you have any idea how long that will take? Her interview was on 24 February.