Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

Thanks everyone.

No, all the questions were straight out of my application. I did travel outside the US last year twice (but not to COP), and the IO asked about that briefly. Nothing about COP or passport. I had my tax papers (4 years back), my travel document, etc...But the IO did not ask to see any of that. In fact the IO gave me back my green card right after the interview.

So Your Interview Approved Or NoT ?
Why he Give U GC Back ???

So Your Interview Approved Or NoT ?
Why he Give U GC Back ???

Yes, it was approved (as per my post above).

I do not know why I was given my GC back. I do not thk think that here is any specific policy on that, as I know a few people who had their GCs handed back to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was approved (as per my post above).

I do not know why I was given my GC back. I do not thk think that here is any specific policy on that, as I know a few people who had their GCs handed back to tem.

You give your GC when you take the oath. Do you know when is your Oath?

Travel Document

Hi All,
I will be a applying for Naturalization next year. I never been out of US since I obtained my asylum but now I am planning to travel to Europe (not my COP) for three weeks in June 2010. I have my COP passport and was going use it anyways. But I was wondering if this will affect their decision on my Naturalization application next year. Just to be on the safe side.

Thank you very much

Mamo:)

Oath Cereminy

Received the letter today:D

Scheduled for 1/14. Online case status has not been updated:confused:

Is passport service offered during ceremony?

First thing in the agenda is to travel to COP to see my mom..Has been long 15 years:eek:

Hi everybody -- I wanted to share my interview experience. I went accompanied by a lawyer (background: derivative asylum-based green card). The process was really smooth - I went through security and, after meeting up with my lawyer, waited in the main hall for the first portion of the interview. After only about 15 minutes I was called to answer the civics questions. They were ...

1. What is freedom of religion?
2. When was the Constitution written?
3. What ocean is on the East Coast of the U.S.?
4. ....
5. ....
6. ....
I can't remember the others - sorry! I was so nervous!

Then I went to wait in another hall for the actual interview. I was taken back within 20 minutes for the actual interview by a kind interviewing officer who chatted with my lawyer along the way. After swearing in, I presented him with my passport from COP, travel document, license, and green card. He looked over my paperwork for a long moment (he had my entire file!!) and then skipped right into the N-400 application confirming the information and then focusing on the Yes/No questions. Then boom -- done! Signed the application, waited outside for my oath letter, and left the place beaming!
For those of you who are concerned about applying as an asylum-based green card, I have not traveled back to COP and though I renewed my passport I have never used it. The IO just confirmed that much but didn't ask anything about my prior asylum claim.

On the whole everyone from USCIS was respectful, efficient, and fair. I am glad to have finished this journey!

Thanks to everyone on this forum - it has provided a constant source of information and comfort. Best wishes for a straight forward and quick process!

P.S. For those who are nervous about the process, I recommend hiring a reasonably priced attorney that has some relevant experience. I found that having my lawyer there made a big difference in my confidence that day - he knew people in the district office and greeted my IO warmly, setting things off the right way. In the end it's only you speaking at the interview but there's no time like this time to get the help you want.

congratulations , asynat 27!!!
i want to hire a lawer too , but would you mind tell me how much you paid your attorney ?thank you !

Renewed np

Since becoming LPRs thru asylum, my wife and I have renewed our NP but without using them. My wife's own got lost somehow, but I still have me. We are about to file for our citizenship now. Can we just not declare that we have renewed our NP since after asylum? Is there anyway for them to know that we renewed our NP's. We both have refugee travel documents.

Since becoming LPRs thru asylum, my wife and I have renewed our NP but without using them. My wife's own got lost somehow, but I still have me. We are about to file for our citizenship now. Can we just not declare that we have renewed our NP since after asylum? Is there anyway for them to know that we renewed our NP's. We both have refugee travel documents.

i really do not understand why you have to lie at your citizenship interview?

if you got caught lying you can kiss the citizenship goodbye

you need to show your officer your passport and your RTD,

MANY of us on this forum renewed their NP , and got citizenship

myself i renewed my NP and i already became citizen

dont worry about it, its not a big deal to renew your NP

On 01/20/2010: I received a yellow paper asking me to bring my Driver License or State Issued Photo ID. is this normal?
I haven't even received my interview letter. Fingerprinted on 01/19/2010
What other documents should I take to interview.
Will they make me relive my asylum case at interview or will they just limit to ask me if I have been back to my COP? - I haven't
I will keep this time line updated

Hi everyone

I had send my N-400 application on Tuesday 01/26/2010.
I know some people will ask the question why I did not apply early the reason was some financial issue.

Good luck to everyone.

Is there any place where I can find Oath Ceremony dates for Miami?

Updating my timeline:

assylee
LPR: 03/10/2005
never visited COP
N400 sent 12/17/2009
Fingerprinted OK 01/19/2010 (5 minutes)- tried walk-in on 01/07/2010 but didn't work (Miami, FL Office)
Interview letter received: 1/30/2010
Interview date: 03/04/2010 (wife's 03/03/2010)
Oath date: ????

twice a month

Is there any place where I can find Oath Ceremony dates for Miami?

Updating my timeline:

assylee
LPR: 03/10/2005
never visited COP
N400 sent 12/17/2009
Fingerprinted OK 01/19/2010 (5 minutes)- tried walk-in on 01/07/2010 but didn't work (Miami, FL Office)
Interview letter received: 1/30/2010
Interview date: 03/04/2010 (wife's 03/03/2010)
Oath date: ????

Oath Ceremonies in Miami are usually twice a months. The first and third week on Fridays. I asked the office who interview me and that was what she said. My interview was at Hialeah Service Center. I guess this dates only apply to this center. I hope this info helps you!

Good Luck

Hi everyone

I had send my N-400 application on Tuesday 01/26/2010.
I know some people will ask the question why I did not apply early the reason was some financial issue.

Good luck to everyone.

Hi everyone.

Today February 4, 2010 I had receive a text message and e-mail address from USCIS regarding my Receipt Notice (Form I-797); so my question is? What is the * after NBC is stand for following by the number.

Dear Applicant/Petitioner:

Your USCIS application/petition has been received and routed to the National Benefits Center for processing. Within 7-10 days by standard mail you will receive your official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) with your Receipt Number NBC*xxxxxxxxxx. With the official Receipt Notice (Form I-797) you may visit www.uscis.gov where you can check the status of your application using My Case Status. We suggest you wait until you have received your Form I-797 before checking My Case Status.

Thanks

Well I know close to 100 asylees who got citizenship after visiting CP while they were GC holders. I know some fellows who litteraly spent a year out of five year in CP still they got US citizenship. I know one fellow who was in CP once for two weeks in 5 years but refused naturalizatoin. So no one knows what level of diecretion IO has.