Immigrants return back to Indian, China to find prosperity

Well, isn't it some what the essense of what we are discussing here ?.

Obviously, these are personal reasons and I do not mean to ask you to divulge them, but if I could afford all those things you seem to be claiming you can afford in India (only back in my homeland), I would have returned.

Ok, maybe one of the richest indian men. I'm not going to say his name, but you may drink his product or fly on his planes.
I don't know what job you have, I'm a financial executive for a multinational company and I'm sure my salary would be the same or even higher if I move to Europe or Asia, I already said that wealthy people have probably a great life abroad.
The point is that here in the US a bus driver for the city transport system can own a house, a car, have a decent life.
I don't think that happens in India, or anywhere else in Asia.

In the state where I live, a bus driver, her spouse and 2 children have to work to pay all the bills and make both the ends meet. The individuals that I know are otherwise decent people they own 2 cards for 4 individuals and ofcourse no Beemers. Being able to own a car in the US doesn't tell you much.

And I know no body who really 'OWNS' their house in the US. If that were the case we wouldn't be in the mess we are in right now.

May be you should look beyond Manhattan and your cloud of friends who owns 'Air Transportaion' to see the real life in the US. It is not really that pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the state where I live, a bus driver, her spouse and 2 children have to work to pay all the bills and make both the ends meet. The individuals that I know are otherwise decent people they own 2 cards for 4 individuals and ofcourse no Beemers. Being able to own a car in the US doesn't tell you much. May be you should look beyond Manhattan and your cloud of friends who owns 'Air Transportaion' to see the real life in the US. It is not really that pretty.

huh? Manhattan is probably the most difficult place to succeed in the United States unless you are a top income earner.

In the state where I live, a bus driver, her spouse and 2 children have to work to pay all the bills and make both the ends meet. The individuals that I know are otherwise decent people they own 2 cards for 4 individuals and ofcourse no Beemers. Being able to own a car in the US doesn't tell you much.

And I know no body who really 'OWNS' their house in the US. If that were the case we wouldn't be in the mess we are in right now.

May be you should look beyond Manhattan and your cloud of friends who owns 'Air Transportaion' to see the real life in the US. It is not really that pretty.

I know a lot of people who own part of their houses. Houses they can afford. That's the problem, not having a mortgage.
Besides extremely wealthy (I'm talking about millionaires) people, nobody pays a house cash, nowhere in the world. And it wouldn't make sense financially to do so.
I personally know a MTA employee (my wife's friend father btw) who own his house, not in Manhattan of course, drive a car, have a pretty decent life, he's not rich but he's ok. Ah, guess what? He came from another country too.
The indian guy is not my friend, he's our client and I just happened to meet him, very bright and brilliant guy, I have to say.
The real life in the US is not bad, my friend. You have to work your butt off and you will succeed, whether you work as a waiter or whether you're a CEO.
I have plenty of friends, all from Italy, who complain about life here. Guess what? They're all here and they all applied for a green card.

I have a lot of friends from my country too, who always complain about life here. Yet they all became American citizens the moment they were eligible for it. When I ask them why they don't move back, they all try to change the subject.

I guess the main point that has been missed by all here is that article said "India now provide a better life for INDIAN IMMIGRANTS who came to US earlier looking for a better life"

Again, it all depends on what you want to achieve 20 years down the line. If you are happy with the material comforts that your naturalized nation provide, well good luck to you.

I have known a lot of Indians who are in their mid 40's and they ALL regret one thing is that they could not go back to India while they could. And at this stage of life they can not go back, not because of quality of life but simply because they can't, due to family here and on top of that by that time they have lost all connections back home and for them going back and living in India would be something like what they did when they came to US in starting plus unavoidable problems India provides.

But the main point is that "India now definitely is a better place for the Indians who came looking for heaven in the USA as immigrants at this stage of life" well heck yes, I would think no Indian would disagree. If they do, all I can say is that they are no more Indian and are too delved in materialistic life. Its the emotional factor that drive people do amazing things.

Again it all depends on your priorities, If you prefer to live and die in a nation that was and is ALIEN to you, its your choice.

And longer you live any place, change is always tough.

I have a lot of friends from my country too, who always complain about life here. Yet they all became American citizens the moment they were eligible for it. When I ask them why they don't move back, they all try to change the subject.

They change the subject because they could not do what they always wanted to do and they regret.

Before I make my statements..let me inform all of u..
I am an Indian..I was born and raised in India..I still love my country..my parents are back in Bombay..and they stay in a nice suburb..

Well, good job dude, you got your folks settled in nice suburb.. only if that was nice enough for you...

They change the subject because they could not do what they always wanted to do and they regret.

Or, they change it because they know what they're saying isn't factually true and they're just daydreaming of what could be as opposed to what actually is.

The point is that here in the US a bus driver for the city transport system can own a house

As a New Yorker, I had a good chuckle when I read that. Elsewhere in the U.S., maybe. In NYC, where a decent 2-bedroom condo in an average neighborhood goes for over $350,000, a family with an average income most certainly cannot afford a house. Then again, NYC (and maybe San Francisco) is definitely an anomaly when it comes to the housing market.

As a New Yorker, I had a good chuckle when I read that. Elsewhere in the U.S., maybe. In NYC, where a decent 2-bedroom condo in an average neighborhood goes for over $350,000, a family with an average income most certainly cannot afford a house. Then again, NYC (and maybe San Francisco) is definitely an anomaly when it comes to the housing market.

NYC has an extremely low home ownership rate. Even a shoebox apartment here costs a ridiculous amount of money. In most parts of America owning a home has been something that is within the reach of most people. Hopefully this statement will still be true after this economic crisis resolves itself.

NYC has an extremely low home ownership rate. Even a shoebox apartment here costs a ridiculous amount of money. In most parts of America owning a home has been something that is within the reach of most people. Hopefully this statement will still be true after this economic crisis resolves itself.

Agreed on all counts. I believe that NYC is one of the very few places in the U.S. where the housing prices are still going up. I have a few friends who ended up moving out of NY after graduating from college and were able to buy houses soon after landing their first jobs. Good luck trying to do that here!

They own in Staten Island.
My very own parents-in-law own in Staten Island too.
They live in a single family house.
PS: Prices in Manhattan are going down, not collapsing but they're substancially down.

Yes, NY is definitely an anomaly. Even in larger cities like Chicago, prices are not that crazy and are within the reach of common folk - bus drivers, for example. You can find a decent 2-bedroom condo in a pretty good neighborhood for around $150,000 right now.

And with the rate of foreclosures in some cities (ex. Detroit) , houses can be bought for under 50k. Bus drivers can definitely afford a house at those prices.

The point was that the middle class here can really afford a decent life. That's comparable only to Western Europe.
In developing countries that's not possible yet.

PS: NYC is so expensive simply because it's quite a unique place in the world to live. And the same job is usually paid more than anywhere else in the US.