• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firts of all ! Sorry moms for highjacking the thread !
Ceux qui vont mourir vous saluent.
I just want to hear from any one who is going through Aos just to report if his Cn is showing on the ceac ? Please help us to figure out this matter ?
Regards
H.Vladek

Last edited by a moderator:
Local USCIS Office vs Chicago Lockbox

Hello All,

I have a quick question about submitting Form I-485. More specifically, I would like to know the difference between a local USCIS Office and Chicago LockBox. After my Form I-122 was submitted, I received a letter (email attachment) saying that I must file Form I-485 with my local USCIS office when an immigrant visa number is immediately available. I've noticed that many people on this forum send the AOS package to Chicago Lockbox not to the local USCIS Ofiice. Why is Chicago Lockbox more preferable? Faster processing time? Lastly, is it crucial where to send I-485?

Thanks.

Hey guys. Just wanted to give you an update that less than two weeks after we received our green cards we had our first trip to Canada. :)

I can tell you that it appeared the US green card is more revered in Canada than the US. :)

Going into Canada they only checked the green cards and asked very few questions. They didn't even ask us to leave the car. In less than half a minute we passed the border.

Coming into the US they asked us to park the car and enter the building. It took the officer about twenty minutes to go over their systems and be satisfied to let us in. Apparently my wife's school had messed up something on the SEVIS system. The officer said we should contact the school to rectify the issue. He said he made some corrections on his side.

Long story short, the green card does work even if fresh out of the oven. :)

I wish all the members that are still waiting to get their green cards very soon.

I'm so happy that things worked out well for you :)
Happy Norouz by the way my dear friend :)
Unfortunately, I've not seen any update on my case yet!

For real? Goosh all because of an incompetent IO that didn't know the difference between the 2 affidavits! Do you have a number for the IO, you could give him/her a call. Although I'm sure they will approve you eventually, but I agree the indecision isn't something anyone should be stuck under.

Hello All,

I have a quick question about submitting Form I-485. More specifically, I would like to know the difference between a local USCIS Office and Chicago LockBox. After my Form I-122 was submitted, I received a letter (email attachment) saying that I must file Form I-485 with my local USCIS office when an immigrant visa number is immediately available. I've noticed that many people on this forum send the AOS package to Chicago Lockbox not to the local USCIS Ofiice. Why is Chicago Lockbox more preferable? Faster processing time? Lastly, is it crucial where to send I-485?

Thanks.

No, not "many people" sent their packages to the Chicago Lockbox, everyone on this forum that has sent in their package, sent them to the Chicago Lockbox :). That is because all USCIS applications MUST be sent to the applicable Lockbox for processing, they will not be accepted directly by your local FO. Nothing to do with preference or faster processing time, it's the procedure. The information KCC provides on the email regarding filing with a local FO is not wrong, considering everyone will eventually get interviewed by their applicable FO, it's just not quite accurate.

The difference between the Chicago Lock Box and the local FOs have been listed on the AOS spreadsheet which you can find on the first post on page one of this thread.

For real? Goosh all because of an incompetent IO that didn't know the difference between the 2 affidavits! Do you have a number for the IO, you could give him/her a call. Although I'm sure they will approve you eventually, but I agree the indecision isn't something anyone should be stuck under.

Sm1smom:
If you recall, a few days later, the IO gave me a call and asked us to meet her again. We met her and she said the case is approved that we'll receive GC in max 3 weeks. But we haven't seen update since that time, no CPO, nothing! By the end of this week, 3 weeks are passed. I have no contact number from FO.
I have an info pass for this Friday. Any suggestion?

No, not "many people" sent their packages to the Chicago Lockbox, everyone on this forum that has sent in their package, sent them to the Chicago Lockbox :). That is because all USCIS applications MUST be sent to the applicable Lockbox for processing, they will not be accepted directly by your local FO. Nothing to do with preference or faster processing time, it's the procedure. The information KCC provides on the email regarding filing with a local FO is not wrong, considering everyone will eventually get interviewed by their applicable FO, it's just not quite accurate.

The difference between the Chicago Lock Box and the local FOs have been listed on the AOS spreadsheet which you can find on the first post on page one of this thread.

Sm1smom, thank you very much for your fast reply!

Please help

Hi guys, I am F1 student (the applicant), my husband and I planned to do AOS.

1) I have a sponsor that promised to sign the I-134 form. And my question: Is I-134 only for the applicant? Do I need to find the other sponsor to sign I- 134 for my husband?

2) My child is US citizen. Therefore, only me and my husband got into this green-card play. It is a stupid question, I know, but I would like to make my mind clear. For the bank statement, I need to prepare 2 ppl’s money which is 20k or 3ppl(including my child)’s money which is 30k which make me safe for the green card.

3) How long this amount of money(20K/30K) should keep in my acct? My husband worked a yr and half and we spent a lot when I was pregnant. We dont have sufficient fund in the acct. Therefore, I have to borrow some money from my parents.

4)Since I am F1 student and my parents support me financially of my master degree. Do I need to prepare some document like my parents bank statement when I interview?

Thank you so much!

On I-485, question 1B asks: "Been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excluding traffic violations".

The excluding traffic violations part is what throws me off. I have only gotten 1 speeding ticket during my whole stay in the US. I was fined $400 for it. Since I was fined, wouldn't I have to say answer YES to that or speeding is part of traffic violations. I also got a handful of parking tickets for expired meters/street cleaning/odd & even days :S

TIA

Would be happy to get you some. :) our friends got us Tim mugs as souvenirs. :)

Dang! I was just telling a colleague the other day how much I miss those Tim Bits at Tim Hortons. Would have asked you to bring back a couple of boxes if I knew you was going over the boarder :p Well, hope you enjoyed the Tim Hortons.

I'm so happy that things worked out well for you :)
Happy Norouz by the way my dear friend :)

Thanks man. Happy New year to you too. I hope you get your file going with the info pass. :) Next trip is to home in mid May.

Firts of all ! Sorry moms for highjacking the thread !
Ceux qui vont mourir vous saluent.
I just want to hear from any one who is going through Aos just to report if his Cn is showing on the ceac ? Please help us to figure out this matter ?
Regards
H.Vladek

I think we tried this before. AOS case numbers do not show up there.

1) I have a sponsor that promised to sign the I-134 form. And my question: Is I-134 only for the applicant? Do I need to find the other sponsor to sign I- 134 for my husband?

2) My child is US citizen. Therefore, only me and my husband got into this green-card play. It is a stupid question, I know, but I would like to make my mind clear. For the bank statement, I need to prepare 2 ppl’s money which is 20k or 3ppl(including my child)’s money which is 30k which make me safe for the green card.

3) How long this amount of money(20K/30K) should keep in my acct? My husband worked a yr and half and we spent a lot when I was pregnant. We dont have sufficient fund in the acct. Therefore, I have to borrow some money from my parents.

4)Since I am F1 student and my parents support me financially of my master degree. Do I need to prepare some document like my parents bank statement when I interview?

Thank you so much!

1. Since you're an F-1, in order to get your I-20 you had to show that you have enough money to fund you and your husband here, right? That bank statement should work for this purpose. If you want to add I-134 to it, you need to cover both you and your husband, because you both are getting the GC.
2. Do it for 3 people, because there are 3 people in your household. Your child is a US citizen, but you still need to provide for him/her.
3. Keep it until after you get the physical green card if you can, at least until after the interview. It is very unlikely that they will check with the bank, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.
4. It is not a bad idea to have a statement from your parent saying that they are covering your costs, along with their bank statement. It's not likely to be needed, but if the IO ever has any concern about you becoming a public charge, you can always show that to him.

Hello Everyone,
Thanks for your posts. It helped me alot.
However, I have one question. In the spreadsheet there was form I-797, Notice of action.
Is this the form that we have to submit or it will be sent from USCIS regarding notice of receipt, rejection, transfer,etc.?
In the official website of USCIS, there was no such form available that could be downloaded.

Please clarify me regarding this.

CN: 2014AS000075xx

1. Since you're an F-1, in order to get your I-20 you had to show that you have enough money to fund you and your husband here, right? That bank statement should work for this purpose. If you want to add I-134 to it, you need to cover both you and your husband, because you both are getting the GC.
2. Do it for 3 people, because there are 3 people in your household. Your child is a US citizen, but you still need to provide for him/her.
3. Keep it until after you get the physical green card if you can, at least until after the interview. It is very unlikely that they will check with the bank, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.
4. It is not a bad idea to have a statement from your parent saying that they are covering your costs, along with their bank statement. It's not likely to be needed, but if the IO ever has any concern about you becoming a public charge, you can always show that to him.

Thx Hexa answering my question:).Please let me make the picture clearer, my husband is in status of pending asylum which he can work in the US. He is running his business last yr but it is not very good. Therefore, I have to show the bank statement and I-134 to show we get support. I don't think I can get 30k for 3 ppl, so 20K+ bank statement, plus I-134 it is good enough for the interview?

I think my#3 question asked not properly, let me ask again, How long should I start to put that amount of money in my acct? I heard that the money should exist in my acct at least 3 months. I know it should be asap, but it would be great if anyone can tell me the number of month.

I dont quite understand "That bank statement should work for this purpose." "That bank statement" u means I just only to show my parents' old bank statement when I applied my master degree? or I have to ask my parents to make a new bank statement for me? Should my parents (not live in US and not us citizen) write a guarantee letter says they can cover my family cost or it is not necessary?

Thank you so much:)

Thank you so much!

Here's my take with regards to your post:

1. It's a good thing if you have someone willing to fill out form I-134. As the principal/primary applicant, the affidavit should be made out to you, it will however list your husband and your son as your dependents. A separate affidavit is not required for your husband. You can make a copy of yours and include it with your husband's package.

2. You need to demonstrate an income or enough savings for 3 people. And according to the 2014 poverty guideline, this should be about $25,000 for 3 people.

3. Ideally, if you're presenting a bank statement or an account verification letter from your bank, it helps if you're able to show about the same level of amount over the past 6 months to 1 year as a minimum. They're aware that people may decide to borrow money to make the account look good for immigration purpose, like you're planning to do, and they do not take kindly to that. They're not only interested in how long the money has been in the account, the source of the money will equally be considered. There's no official standard number of months that I'm aware of, but the 6 - 12 months I wrote above is a common sense thing to me.

So I'm basically saying I don't think borrowing a large amount of money from your parents or friends to suddenly dump in your account is a good move. You have someone willing to provide you with an affidavit of support, that alone strenghtens your case financially in my opinion in addition to whatever you're able to show in your account based on your earnings.

4. As a back up, it wouldn't hurt if your parents can provide you with a sworn statement indicating they are willing and able to keep supporting your family.

Thx Hexa answering my question:).Please let me make the picture clearer, my husband is in status of pending asylum which he can work in the US. He is running his business last yr but it is not very good. Therefore, I have to show the bank statement and I-134 to show we get support. I don't think I can get 30k for 3 ppl, so 20K+ bank statement, plus I-134 it is good enough for the interview? Absolutely yes!

I think my#3 question asked not properly, let me ask again, How long should I start to put that amount of money in my acct? I heard that the money should exist in my acct at least 3 months. I know it should be asap, but it would be great if anyone can tell me the number of month. - Not necessary to borrow money and dump in your account IMO

I dont quite understand "That bank statement should work for this purpose." "That bank statement" u means I just only to show my parents' old bank statement when I applied my master degree? or I have to ask my parents to make a new bank statement for me? Should my parents (not live in US and not us citizen) write a guarantee letter says they can cover my family cost or it is not necessary?

Thank you so much:)

Sm1smom:
If you recall, a few days later, the IO gave me a call and asked us to meet her again. We met her and she said the case is approved that we'll receive GC in max 3 weeks. But we haven't seen update since that time, no CPO, nothing! By the end of this week, 3 weeks are passed. I have no contact number from FO.
I have an info pass for this Friday. Any suggestion?

Yeah, I remember that. Good luck with the infopass, although I'm guessing they will most likely tell you 3 weeks isn't enough to start getting worrried about a final decision. But I hope you see the change online before Friday though.

Status
Not open for further replies.