• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
This thread is for the lucky DV-2014 winners who are already in the US and plan on filing for Adjustment of Status. You can also find useful information from the DV 2009 - 2013 AOS threads. Post your questions here and other forum members who have already gone through the process will be more than happy to share their experiences and provide information/guidance.

Below is a link to a google spreadsheet put together to help you in the process of adjusting your status.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=5

All the best to you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay, brand new thread! :) Thanks Sm1smom.

Congrats new winners, you'll find that this forum has the best online community out there for AOS, and people like Sm1smom are awesome, I humbly suggest you to follow their sage advice.

Hey all- selectee here.
Im just going to repost something I posted in the DV2013 forum underneath.

So whether or not I will be able to apply via AOS depends on whether my CN will become current before my OPT expires on 2 June 2014? So I shouldn't post the forms for AOS until Im pretty sure I will get in on time? Im trying to judge whether my CN is likely to become current before June- can someone help? Ive been looking at the Visa Bulletins and it doesnt look likely :( My CN is 2014OC00002XXX

My question:
I am a lucky selectee for DV2014. Im Australian and in the US on an F1 visa. I have OPT Employment Authorization card (OPT EAC) valid until 2 June 2014. So after reading these forums for a few hours I have a few questions.

It looks like my CN number is VERY high CN : 2014OC00002XXX. I was looking in the visa bulletins and I havent even seen a number that high??

So my question is if my number will only become current AFTER my OPT EAC expires by filing the DSP-122 form now can I just stay legally in the US until my number becomes valid and I can send my AOS package? Will I have to cease employment between the expiry of the OPT EAC and the interview? Confused as to what i should do.

Answer:
Congratulations on your selection. Unfortunately, if your OPT expires before your number becomes current, you will not be able to do AOS, you will need to go back to your home country and do CP processing. If however you're able to extend your OPT, get a new F1 visa or you're able to get a H1 visa at the end of your OPT expiration, then you should be able to do AOS. For starters, your DV fiscal year starts in OCtober 2013, you have to be in a current legal status in the US in order to do AOS, just sending in your DSP-122 form to KCC is not enough to make you AOS eligible.

There are three winning Australians talking in this forum at the moment and ALL have a number in the two thousands. What are the chances of that? So if you're saying high number you haven't seen a number that high etc... the thought just occurred to me, all three of us are saying the same kind of number.

There are three winning Australians talking in this forum at the moment and ALL have a number in the two thousands. What are the chances of that? So if you're saying high number you haven't seen a number that high etc... the thought just occurred to me, all three of us are saying the same kind of number.

Hmmmm- well I was looking at the Visa Bulletins to get an indication of when an CN OC number in the 2000's would likely go current and I didnt see any that had a number higher than 1250. So Im thinking that a number over 2000 is high? Maybe Im wrong???

Hello All

first of all congratulations to every one who is selectee of 2014.

I have question. my friend also selected his number is 2014EU00042*** is this number too high do you think? also last year 100,000 were individuals were registered but this year it says 125,000 . what do you think about this case number is it high.

Thanks

Hi everyone! :D

I want to apologize for the double post. I just found out I had been randomly selected for further processing for DV 2014 and I'd greatly appreciate any advice about the process!

My CN is ...50xxx (EUrope). Is this a very high CN? The research I've done so far suggests that it's extremely high and that I probably don't stand chance to get the GC.

I have no idea what I can do to increase my chances. I'm currently on a F1 visa and will get the OPT this August (It will expire in August 2014). I know I can apply for AOS but I checked the visa bulletins from previous years and it seems my CN will probably become current only in June-August 2014. This makes me fear that applying for AOS would be too risky, as my application might not even be processed in time by the end of September 2014.

Do you think going for CP instead of AOS is a better idea? If I do that, do I have to leave the US after I apply through KCC? Can I apply from the US? Will the CP interfere with my OPT, or can I just stay here until it's time for me to go to the interview in my home country (if I get an interview, that is)?

I'm freaking out. I'm utterly shocked that I've won. I've been applying every year for many years with no success. I didn't expect anything today when I checked my confirmation number.

Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks so much!

Okay, so there are quite a few people with high case numbers. I don't know if it's a trend yet, but the number itself is not as important as how many people there are in front of you. As a rule of thumb though, if you have a number in 40XXX, 50XXX etc. it is considered high and that usually means you won't be current before June, July etc. 2014. Every year the progression of numbers is different, this year for example, it seems to be slower than previous years. People who expected to be current in November 2012 or December 2012 became current in January 2013 or February 2013.

For those of you who are not familiar with this process, your case numbers serve as line order for your case and every month starting in October 2013, State Department will provide the cut-offs for DV 2014 selectees which is the highest case number that can be processed starting the 1st of that month. So for example, if your case is like 2014EU000123XX and the cut-off for January 2014 is 12500 for Europe, that means USCIS will accept your application starting January 1st (or 2nd since 1st is new year!).

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

All 2014 diversity visas have to be distributed between October 1st, 2013 and September 30th, 2014. No exceptions. If you don't get an interview until September 30th, you don't get a green card. Every country has its own quota(EDIT: this is not accurate, regions have quotas, countries have their own selectee numbers), if the people from your country/region who has lower case numbers than you deplete all the visas before you had a chance to have your interview, you don't get a green card.

You need to make a decision whether you want to do AOS in US, or go back to your country and do CP, because AOS is considerably slower than CP. People who are current in a given month may get their interviews in that month or the following month in Consular Processing; whereas in AOS you wait for an average of 60-90 days after you send your package to USCIS. That means that while you are waiting for your turn, people in your country/region whose case numbers are behind you are getting their visas before you. If you have a high CN (and also possibly from a country with low number of selectees), it is advisable to do CP.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_5715.html

This link gives some idea about how many people are selected from each country for DV 2013, keep in mind this is the number of selections, the actual issued visas are about half of these numbers. If your country has a selectee number of 50, 100, 150 etc. I'd personally consider it as low (EDIT: this may not necessarily mean higher risk). If it is in 1000s, it is fine. Remember that each member of a qualifying family gets a visa number. The case numbers are not consecutive, so you don't know exactly how many people are in front of you. And you don't know how many dependents each one has.

In the light of these facts, you need to make the decision for AOS vs. CP. Do not let these facts scare you, (EDIT)unless you have a high CN, chances are you'll get your interview before September. But you have to make your decision knowing these. Note for SA region: visas in South America may be issued faster so doing AOS may be riskier for those countries.(/EDIT)

This was some general info for those who are already in US (or about to come to US with a visa) to make the decision about AOS. Of course everybody has their own unique case, if you post your questions, people will try their best to share their experiences and knowledge with you.

AOS13 - thank you so much for the information! It clears some things up.

I too have been selected for further processing, and I am very excited but overwhelmed as to where to possibly start.

I am currently living and working in the U.S. My status is a bit funky. I started working with a college extension (OPT), but have been trying to transfer over the H1B for a year now. I have submitted everything and am waiting for a response - have waited 9 months now, there seems to be a huge backlog. So my OPT is expired, and I am in this extension status until I get a responce.

So, would Adjustment of Status be a wise move for me? How do I found out if I am eligible? And what are the first steps?

Thank you so much in advance! (BTW I am applying with Bulgaria, which has a fairly quota - 1,299)

Now this is regarding those whose visas are expiring:

There are requirements to be eligible for AOS; you have to be in status by the time you sent your application, and you must never have been out of status before during your stays in US. If you are on F/J/H etc. visas and you never overstayed your expiration date, you can do AOS. If your visa expires before your case number becomes current, you can't do AOS. Since you won't know exactly when your number becomes current, you'll have to tread carefully. General idea is that you should maintain your current status as if you didn't win the lottery. If your I-20 is about to expire, extend it. If your H1B will expire, petition the second one. If you are on OPT, extend it if you have the option, or apply for H1B to stay in status through gap cap. Otherwise you'll have to leave US and get your DV through CP in your country.

Let me take this opportunity to also say something about F and J visas: These visas are called nonimmigrant visas and they are not dual intent, which means you must NOT have an intention to immigrate to US to qualify for these visas. If you win DV and you are F/J, it's OK to apply for AOS but you have to tread carefully. Keep in mind that applying for AOS (or CP) shows your clear intention to immigrate, so you can't get your visa renewed if you need one in the meanwhile. Even if you don't need a renewal but simply travel to your country, on your way back, the IO at the airport may deny you entry if he suspects/knows that you applied for DV.

ALSO, in order to do AOS, J visa holders have to get a waiver if they are subject to the 2 year rule. After getting that waiver though, they can NOT get their DS2019 extended anymore in case they need it.

Technically you haven't applied for anything until your number became current and you sent your package to USCIS,
but sending DSP-122 and DS230 to KCC still shows your intention to immigrate, so think about your summer travel plans knowing this.

My status is a bit funky.

Not at all, a lot of people are in limbo in one way or another :)

I started working with a college extension (OPT), but have been trying to transfer over the H1B for a year now. I have submitted everything and am waiting for a response - have waited 9 months now, there seems to be a huge backlog. So my OPT is expired, and I am in this extension status until I get a responce.

So, would Adjustment of Status be a wise move for me? How do I found out if I am eligible? And what are the first steps?

Thank you so much in advance! (BTW I am applying with Bulgaria, which has a fairly quota - 1,299)

As long as your petition is pending, you are in status, so you can do AOS. But if your H1B petition is rejected before your case becomes current, you have to leave the US. It is advisable to maintain status until the day of the interview.

EDIT: sorry only saw your last post after I put in mine. Thanks very much! Looks like I will be good hopefully.

Hmm. That is a bit tricky. I am indeed in the gap cap, but I am not sure if it has expired or not. Technically it was supposed to expire September 2012 - with the understanding being that I would be given an answer for my H1-B petition until then. Due to backlogs that are totally out of my control, I still haven't received an H1-B answer 9 months in. I asked my college who issued my OPT about it, and they said that it is fine - I am considered in status as long as I am waiting for an official response. The trouble is I don't really have any kind of document to show all of this - I have something signed that shows I got the gap year extension, which is the best I can give.

Yes, this is quite muddled lol.

But what is the first step in all of this - who do I call or who do I visit to start my application?

This link gives some idea about how many people are selected from each country for DV 2013, keep in mind this is the number of selections, the actual quotas are about half of these numbers. If your country has a quota of 50, 100, 150 etc. I'd personally consider it as low. If it is in 1000s, it is fine. Remember that each member of a qualifying family gets a visa number. The case numbers are not consecutive, so you don't know exactly how many people are in front of you. And you don't know how many dependents each one has.
Thank you, aos13, for taking the time to explain how we can interpret our case numbers. I consulted the information at the link you provided and learned that 700 people had been selected for further processing in my home country in 2013. Is that good or bad? I had no idea that the case numbers are not consecutive; what I thought my number means is that at least 50,000 people (+ their dependents) will have their case processed and assessed before me.

In the light of these facts, you need to make the decision for AOS vs. CP. Do not let these facts scare you, unless you are from a very low quota country, chances are you'll get your interview before September. But you have to make your decision knowing these.
My OPT expires in August 2014, which makes me ineligible for an interview in September 2014, for instance. However, my status may change in the upcoming year if I manage to secure a more permanent job in the US. I'm considering CP due to 2 reasons: 1) My visa may expire by the time I have to go to an interview and 2) If my case number becomes current only in July 2014, 3 months may be insufficient for USCIS to process my application for AOS. I guess it's the fear of not knowing that is killing me right now.

Also, I don't know how CP may affect my status in the US. If I opt for CP, does that mean I have to leave the US? Or, can I stay here until I'm scheduled for an interview in my home country (in case I'm granted one)?

I've browsed the web all day looking for information about my dilemma and I guess I'm very discouraged by the high number of narratives written by people whose AOS was denied because their applications failed to be processed by the end of the fiscal year.

If a selectee starts with CP, can they switch to AOS at some point (before their number becomes current)?

I'm so sorry for bombarding you and everyone else with so many questions but I just want to make sure that I fully understand the process before I make a decision.

Thank you so much for your time! Your help is greatly appreciated! :)

The trouble is I don't really have any kind of document to show all of this - I have something signed that shows I got the gap year extension, which is the best I can give.

Yes, this is quite muddled lol.

But what is the first step in all of this - who do I call or who do I visit to start my application?

At the least you should have receipt notice from USCIS when your H1B was received. That shows your case is pending.

Regarding the DV, the first step is to send DSP-122 to KCC which you can do any time starting now. You can follow the steps given at the selectee web site. Usually you send it about now, like May or June, some people choose to wait until their situations clarify and send it like December or January, but keep in mind you don't want to wait too long for low quota countries. In DSP-122, you choose between CP and AOS. There are other things to send along with DSP-122, consulting the DV 2013 AOS thread is a very good idea since it contains tons of useful information.

My OPT expires in August 2014, which makes me ineligible for an interview in September 2014, for instance. However, my status may change in the upcoming year if I manage to secure a more permanent job in the US. I'm considering CP due to 2 reasons: 1) My visa may expire by the time I have to go to an interview and 2) If my case number becomes current only in July 2014, 3 months may be insufficient for USCIS to process my application for AOS. I guess it's the fear of not knowing that is killing me right now.

Also, I don't know how CP may affect my status in the US. If I opt for CP, does that mean I have to leave the US? Or, can I stay here until I'm scheduled for an interview in my home country (in case I'm granted one)?

I understand your concerns. 700 is not bad but nobody is really safe 100% unless their case numbers are insanely low :)
Your real concern should be your visa expiration date. Usually USCIS does its best to give DVs to all applicants before September so if you get current on July, you will be fine as long as the processing time is concerned. Whether there will be visa numbers left is a different question.

You can go for CP while in US, you do not have to leave. You can also switch between CP and AOS but it is not advisable as it may introduce extra delays; immigration in US is not exactly a well oiled machine. I will let other people share their ideas too, I am somewhat a pessimist :) Do not let me scare anybody :)

Yay, brand new thread! :) Thanks Sm1smom.

Congrats new winners, you'll find that this forum has the best online community out there for AOS, and people like Sm1smom are awesome, I humbly suggest you to follow their sage advice.

And where do you, aos13, stand among these wizened old sages whose horns you're tooting? :eek:

Yes, for OC, 2xxx is kind of high. If I had such a high number for that region, I would seriously consider CP and not AOS in view of the longer processing period AOS entails and because traditionally, Oceania doesn't seem to have a large visa proportion assigned to it. You may however want to wait until the Bulletin is released in August to see the rate at which visa numbers are released before making your final decision.

Hmmmm- well I was looking at the Visa Bulletins to get an indication of when an CN OC number in the 2000's would likely go current and I didnt see any that had a number higher than 1250. So Im thinking that a number over 2000 is high? Maybe Im wrong???

Hello All

first of all congratulations to every one who is selectee of 2014.

I have question. my friend also selected his number is 2014EU00042*** is this number too high do you think? also last year 100,000 were individuals were registered but this year it says 125,000 . what do you think about this case number is it high.

Thanks

Regardless of the number of people selected, 42*** for EU is a bit on the high side. The important thing however is the number of visas released per month. 2013 visa release hasn't been like in the past couple of years. Hopefully 2014 visa release may progress faster.

I understand your concerns. 700 is not bad but nobody is really safe 100% unless their case numbers are insanely low :)
Your real concern should be your visa expiration date. Usually USCIS does its best to give DVs to all applicants before September so if you get current on July, you will be fine as long as the processing time is concerned. Whether there will be visa numbers left is a different question.
Thank you again for your reply. Indeed, I'm concerned that there may not be any visa numbers left by the time my case number becomes current. So, I wonder, would CP improve my chances of getting an interview before all the GC's are awarded? That is, is CP faster or do they also take case numbers into account when they process applications and schedule interviews?

I tend to be a pessimist also, which is why I'm even afraid to hope I stand a chance with the CN I have. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.