• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I see. Didn't realize you already got your bio letter. Anyway a walk in bio does not negatively impact people's cases, that I know for sure! A DV 2013 selectee tried to do a walk in at his ASC and was turned back. He simply went to another ASC, which by the way was technically in another State, but was closer to his office, the next day and did the walk in there without a single question being asked! However, I don't know if it sometimes hasten the rest of the processing. Most people do walk ins because it feels good to have gotten that process out of the way.

In your case if you attempt a walk in and they try to give you a hard time, just give them some kind of sob story. You can play on their emotion by letting them know you live 4 hrs away, make them feel sorry for you. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something.

I could certainly do that :) Thanks again for your advice!

1. The IL you received is a generic one used by your FO, the translated foreign documents do not need to be notarized. You should be fine as long as you the translated copies certified.

2. W2s for the past three years should suffice. Pay stubs for the past 3 months will also do.

3. No, it should be fine.

4. As long as you sent in the sealed copy with your I-485 package, you should be okay. Again, the IL is a generic one and that portion really is for those who sent in their I-485 without the medical form. Of course you should still attend the interview with your copy of the medical form.

Thanks Sm1smom, very helpful as usual!

1. The IL you received is a generic one used by your FO, the translated foreign documents do not need to be notarized. You should be fine as long as you the translated copies certified.

People get confused by notarized vs. certified. When going to the interview, you'll need to take originals of everything with you (except the medical exam which is already sent sealed). Let's say your birth certificate is in your native language; you'll need to type an English translation of that and print it out which does not need to be notarized, BUT you'll also print out translation certificate that goes like ("Person Bla Bla is fluent in English and translated this document, etc. etc.") AND this certificate needs to be notarized. This is simply to make sure that you didn't make up a person's name for your translation; the notary makes sure that the "translator" shows up with an ID and tells him/her that he/she did the translation and is fluent in English. So you have the original, the translation, and the notarized translation certificate.

Regarding early walk-in for bio; don't sweat it, most probably you'll be fine. I'd go earlier in the day to avoid the crowd.

Regarding employment letter; get one if you can just before the interview. By the time of the interview, mine was two months old and I was asked for a recent one which I already took with me.

I had an interview at Dallas FO today. It was at 10, I reached there around 9 and was called inside around 9:40. We took oath and then the interview began. He started out with verifying our name and address and then went through the questionnire that we had filled in the form i-485. My wife had contraindication (She was pregnant then) in the medical, I did a new one before going to interview which had not contraindication. I handed that and my original degree certificate to the officer as additional documents. And that was all. He told me it will be under review and I should be able to hear back from them within 30 days. Now I guess i have nothing to do except wait to go GREEN :)

People get confused by notarized vs. certified. When going to the interview, you'll need to take originals of everything with you (except the medical exam which is already sent sealed). Let's say your birth certificate is in your native language; you'll need to type an English translation of that and print it out which does not need to be notarized, BUT you'll also print out translation certificate that goes like ("Person Bla Bla is fluent in English and translated this document, etc. etc.") AND this certificate needs to be notarized. This is simply to make sure that you didn't make up a person's name for your translation; the notary makes sure that the "translator" shows up with an ID and tells him/her that he/she did the translation and is fluent in English. So you have the original, the translation, and the notarized translation certificate.

So you are contradicting everything that has long been said about translations(i.e. no notary required)?

I came to US by B1 visa and doing AOS of Dv-lottery .I got NOA from Chicago lockbox a week ago. I have a fear on my visa expiration. The visa I got from my country was two years , but at the airport the immigration officer gave six months and it is gone expire at the end of April.If I stay more than six month I fear it will be a problem to me.Is someone have any idea on this? I read if my AOS denied I will be deported.I need your advices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question I sent to lockbox the birth certificate and passport with some mistakes.I got now the corrected passport and birth certificate. My plan is to take them the corrected ones on my interview. Is that okay?Is there any possibility to correct through infopass?

I came to US by B1 visa and doing AOS of Dv-lottery .I got NOA from Chicago lockbox a week ago. I have a fear on my visa expiration. The visa I got from my country was two years , but at the airport the immigration officer gave six months and it is gone expire at the end of April.If I stay more than six month I fear it will be a problem to me.Is someone have any idea on this? I read if my AOS denied I will be deported.I need your advices.

You are saying your visa expires at the end of April? Did you enter the US with the purpose of doing AOS?

Regarding early walk-in for bio; don't sweat it, most probably you'll be fine. I'd go earlier in the day to avoid the crowd.

Regarding employment letter; get one if you can just before the interview. By the time of the interview, mine was two months old and I was asked for a recent one which I already took with me.

Well, this is what I call a "feels good to do action", but is not necessarily required IMO. I'm not aware of anywhere on USCIS's website where it says the translated copy or the certification has to be notarized.

So you are contradicting everything that has long been said about translations(i.e. no notary required)?

I sense your frustration with regards to this issue. At the end of the day, anyone who feels more comfortable showing up with notarized certified translations should go ahead and get their documents notarized. However, I'm aware that USCIS, as per what's stated on their website, only requirefor translated copies of documents to be certified by whoever is translating the documents.

Under the General Tips on Assembling Applications for Mailing (which a lot of those yet to send in their package might find useful also), it says:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name
Address

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Another section of the site, Submitting Supporting Documentation (Instructions for Submitting Supporting Documentation for e-Filed Applications Only - yes, I know this says e-Filed applications but it's equally applicable to mailed in applications also) says:

Translations. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/file-my-application-online-e-filing/submitting-supporting-documentation

Neither of these 2 sites says anything about notarization!

You've done a series of PMs with me over the past 3-4 weeks and we've gone through your case over and over again, but I guess it's not a bad idea to get inputs from additional sources. Anyway, like I answered in one of those PMs, yes, USCIS may deny your application if there able to confirm that you can into the US mainly for the purpose of adjusting your status. You never confirmed/denied to me if you knew of your DV selection before you came into the US on a B1/B2 visa.

For now, since your application has been accepted and you've been sent the NOA, it does not matter if the case doesn't get adjudicated by the time your visa expires as you will be in 'pending status'. However, if the application is denied at the time of the interview (and your 6 months' authorized stay has expired), then you will be required to leave the US immediately in order not to accrue an over stay status which can lead to a 3 or 10 year ban depending on how long the over-stay ends up being.

Another question I sent to lockbox the birth certificate and passport with some mistakes.I got now the corrected passport and birth certificate. My plan is to take them the corrected ones on my interview. Is that okay?Is there any possibility to correct through infopass?

You cannot make corrections through infopass, but you can take the correct versions to your interview and submit them to the IO.

Well, this is what I call a "feels good to do action", but is not necessarily required IMO. I'm not aware of anywhere on USCIS's website where it says the translated copy or the certification has to be notarized.

I sense your frustration with regards to this issue. At the end of the day, anyone who feels more comfortable showing up with notarized certified translations should go ahead and get their documents notarized. However, I'm aware that USCIS, as per what's stated on their website, only requirefor translated copies of documents to be certified by whoever is translating the documents.

Under the General Tips on Assembling Applications for Mailing (which a lot of those yet to send in their package might find useful also), it says:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name
Address

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Another section of the site, Submitting Supporting Documentation (Instructions for Submitting Supporting Documentation for e-Filed Applications Only - yes, I know this says e-Filed applications but it's equally applicable to mailed in applications also) says:

Translations. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/file-my-application-online-e-filing/submitting-supporting-documentation

Neither of these 2 sites says anything about notarization!

I was hoping for your input on the matter ;)

I was wondering, have you applied for a job at USCIS yet??

Hello Everyone,

In the official website of uscis, I found that I-601 should also be submitted.

It is something like this:
Submit the following evidence with your Form I-485:

Form G-325, Biographic Information, if you are between 14 and 79 years of age
Two passport-style photos
Copy of birth certificate
Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa (if applicable)
Copy of passport page with admission (entry) or parole stamp (if applicable)
Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record
Certified copies of court records (if the individual has been arrested)
Copy of the principal applicant’s selection letter for the diversity visa lottery from DOS
Copy of the receipt from DOS for the diversity visa lottery processing fee
Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility (if applicable)
Applicable fees

But I didnot find it on the spreadsheet posted in this forum. I was assembling all my required documents and I was stuck here.
Please help me out with this.
Thanks

Hello Everyone,

In the official website of uscis, I found that I-601 should also be submitted.

It is something like this:
Submit the following evidence with your Form I-485:

Form G-325, Biographic Information, if you are between 14 and 79 years of age
Two passport-style photos
Copy of birth certificate
Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa (if applicable)
Copy of passport page with admission (entry) or parole stamp (if applicable)
Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record
Certified copies of court records (if the individual has been arrested)
Copy of the principal applicant’s selection letter for the diversity visa lottery from DOS
Copy of the receipt from DOS for the diversity visa lottery processing fee
Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility (if applicable)
Applicable fees

But I didnot find it on the spreadsheet posted in this forum. I was assembling all my required documents and I was stuck here.
Please help me out with this.
Thanks

Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility is not listed on the spreadsheet because the assumption is that 99.999% of those trying to file DV-bassed AOS on their own are not dealing with issues of inadmissibility, and there's no point confusing them with such a requirement. Anyone that needs to file that should actually be talking to a lawyer as that is a completely different ball game. However, if it's applicable to you, you can include it with your package.

On 2nd thought, what's your current visa status? Do you fall under any of these:
TPS applicant
VAWA
HRIFA
T non immigrant

I'm really fishing here, help me understand why you need to include I-601 with your package.

Last edited by a moderator:
Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility is not listed on the spreadsheet because the assumption is that 99.999% of those trying to file DV-bassed AOS on their own are not dealing with issues of inadmissibility, and there's no point confusing them with such a requirement. Anyone that needs to file that should actually be talking to a lawyer as that is a completely different ball game. However, if it's applicable to you, you can include it with your package.

On 2nd thought, what's your current visa status? Do you fall under any of these:
TPS applicant
VAWA
HRIFA
T non immigrant

I'm really fishing here, help me understand why you need to include I-601 with your package.

Thanks for the reply.
I am currently in F1 status in US.
I was just curious as it was included in the website of USCIS.

Hello,

I have question regarding the I-94. I last entered the U.S on January 9th 2014 with H4 visa and was not given the form to fill as they used to do the past. As far as I know, they do not give it anymore. One of the required documents to AOS according to the excel sheet is the I-94. I do not have it. Will that be a problem.

Thanks in advaance

Status
Not open for further replies.