• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can submit your paperwork early as I mentioned before (and that means you can do medicals before you are current) - but your adjustment interview cannot take place before you are current, so that has to be scheduled and completed before either the end of the year (9/30) OR before the visas are exhausted.

Every year, KCC select more "winners" than the allowance of visas (between 50k to 55k). In normal years they select around 110 to 110k winners and so many cases drop out that they end up having enough visas to meet demand. This year they have selected 140k - a 30% increase without a corresponding increase in visas available - so yes it is possible (I'd say likely, and even certain) that there will not be enough visas for all. KCC are controlling the pace of processing, but I think it is likely they will hit the limits during September (that is my belief - but not everyone agrees).

To understand the process better I suggest you study this thread carefully and also read and digest the spreadsheet I mentioned earlier (link here) I am NOT an expert on aos - so please form your own opinion and be guided by more experienced people here.

You see what I mean now simon !
You asked me to explain the drop-out!? Its a human variable I ca trace it 100% look at this case student in USA but he missed-out about the DV process! Remember 80% of the 140k do not speak nor read english, so the second-holes will be as I said very effective...

Sm1smom has been contributing well. Kudos
Felt the need to comment after sliews recent case.

DV AOS denial or failure reasons

They can be many reasons for a DV AOS denial.I will list them and briefly comment 1. out of status- USCIS has deemed you been out of status because of a variety of reasons. In case of Visa status has expired (Note I am not referring to visa on passport, as that may expire but you are still in status e.g f-1 your I-20 has expired, B1/2 your duration of stay has expired,f-1 you or ISO May have notified uscis that you took less than 12 hours per semester without their approval (ISO is initiating this action). What is important here is that As per USCIS records you are designated as been out of status.

2. Criminal records- applicant has engaged in criminal activities and hence reason we answer the questions on I-485.

3. Financial support- applicant has not provided or shown sufficient proof that they can support the,self and avoid been a public charge.

4. Lying during interview.- self explanatory

5. Time barred applications- DV case has to be approved before September 30.so if there is an issue with your documents or interview a Diversity visa decision needs to be made by September 30.

6. Document issues- the application documents are missing or have issues which are not resolved and USCiS does not decision your case by deadline.

I am sure there are more reasons why an applicant may not be granted the visa but they will generally fall under the above classifications.

I will expound on reason 1 by providing an example If Jane Doe an F-1 student with 3 semesters left wins the DV lottery. She will be required to maintain her f-1 status throughout the whole process. I use require rather recommended so that in event AOS is denied she can still maintain f-1 status. It would not be advisable to request an EAD card as denial of aisle will invalidate her f-1 status. Jane Dow worked outside without uscis authorization, school and uscis not aware of this but she still attended school and maintained her 12 hour minimum credit hours. She attends interview and Uscis becomes aware of this violation .This is grounds for AOS denial as well as F-1 status revocation.
Same jane doe has one semester left and will graduate before the interview will take place. It is advisable to apply for and obtain OPT approval before submitting I-485. There may be unique circumstances where due to time constraints you might forego opt application. Example graduating in May but DV deadline is September 30, and you feel thus might delay I-485 processing then one might file I-485 and forego OPT. Keep in mind OPT requirements are that you find a job in your field of study within 60 days of card issuance.. Your ISO can advise on this requirement. I-485 filing and USCIS acceptance acknowledgement been mailed will allow you to stay in the country and await interview. The acceptance does not grant you any DV status and hence Jane Doe cannot work unless she had concurrently applied and received her EAD card.

Every applicants situation is different and without all the facts you cannot extrapolate an applicants AOS denial to yours. In the unfortunate case of denial ask for reason as this will help an attorney advise appropriately.

You see what I mean now simon !
You asked me to explain the drop-out!? Its a human variable I ca trace it 100% look at this case student in USA but he missed-out about the DV process! Remember 80% of the 140k do not speak nor read english, so the second-holes will be as I said very effective...

Vladek, let's not mess up the aos thread with our argument/analysis! :)

Question about document translation

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have question reading birth certificate translation. I'm competent in both English and my native language. Can I do the translation myself and certify that I'm competent as follow:

I [typed my name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name
Address

Or someone else other than the petitioner should translate it? if this is the case, can my brother translate and certify it?

Another question: Should it be notarized?

Thank you,

Finally received the interview letter. Scheduled for April 18. Hoping the process goes smoother from here. Thank you for the support!

Finally received the interview letter. Scheduled for April 18. Hoping the process goes smoother from here. Thank you for the support!

WOW! THAT's SO NICE! Make sure to have everything (even more than everything) required for the interview.
We pray for your success.

WOW! THAT's SO NICE! Make sure to have everything (even more than everything) required for the interview.
We pray for your success.

Thanks Aria for you advice and support!

I have a few questions as I prepare the interview materials:

1. The letter requests that foreign documents not only be translated but also notarized. Did everyone notarized their birth certificate and high school diploma?

2. The letter requests W2s and tax returns. How many years back should I go? I was thinking 3. And how many pay stubs?

3. The letter requests an employment letter. The one I have will be a month old on the day of the interview. Will that cause issues?

4. The letter requests a *sealed* medical exam. I already included that one in my original package. Will the unsealed copy provided to me by the doctor be sufficient?

Thanks again to everyone as we try to navigate this unpredictable process.

1. The letter requests that foreign documents not only be translated but also notarized. Did everyone notarized their birth certificate and high school diploma?

2. The letter requests W2s and tax returns. How many years back should I go? I was thinking 3. And how many pay stubs?

3. The letter requests an employment letter. The one I have will be a month old on the day of the interview. Will that cause issues?

4. The letter requests a *sealed* medical exam. I already included that one in my original package. Will the unsealed copy provided to me by the doctor be sufficient?

DVPerm!

You know that I'm not an expert here, so plz make sure yoy get the comment from others as well.
1- In my case, all the translated documents were already stamped and signed by a certified translator and local Judiciary office (in the home country), so I wasn't asked to provide notarized documents in the interview letter. Ask other if they had their documents notarized or not but I suggest that you do what you are requested to do so (to avoid any problem during interview).

2- Past three years should be fine. For Pay stubs, I think recent pay stubs should be Ok (but I suggest you have some pay stubs related to different months in the past 3 years, if you have worked during past three years).

3- No, that should be fine because employment letter is just a letter showing that you are currently employed (the pay stub for the current month will act as a proof that your employment is being continued).

4- I didn't have such request in my interview letter, I suggest you to visit the surgeon, who did the examination for you with the unsealed envelope given to you, and asked him/her to provide you another SEALED letter. I'm just saying this because you don't want the officer to have any excuse for delaying your case (or making a bad decision).
You know your case was sort of a special case, so I suggest you to make sure that you address everything you are requested to do so.

You may wanna read my interview experience to see how my case was delayed by a mistake from officer (and I haven't seen the CPO yet after 2 weeks from interview).

Wish you bests of luck.

DVPerm!

You know that I'm not an expert here, so plz make sure yoy get the comment from others as well.
1- In my case, all the translated documents were already stamped and signed by a certified translator and local Judiciary office (in the home country), so I wasn't asked to provide notarized documents in the interview letter. Ask other if they had their documents notarized or not but I suggest that you do what you are requested to do so (to avoid any problem during interview).

2- Past three years should be fine. For Pay stubs, I think recent pay stubs should be Ok (but I suggest you have some pay stubs related to different months in the past 3 years, if you have worked during past three years).

3- No, that should be fine because employment letter is just a letter showing that you are currently employed (the pay stub for the current month will act as a proof that your employment is being continued).

4- I didn't have such request in my interview letter, I suggest you to visit the surgeon, who did the examination for you with the unsealed envelope given to you, and asked him/her to provide you another SEALED letter. I'm just saying this because you don't want the officer to have any excuse for delaying your case (or making a bad decision).
You know your case was sort of a special case, so I suggest you to make sure that you address everything you are requested to do so.

You may wanna read my interview experience to see how my case was delayed by a mistake from officer (and I haven't seen the CPO yet after 2 weeks from interview).

Wish you bests of luck.

Thank you Aria for your feedback! I think you’re right; I’m going to follow all the requests on the interview letter. No sense in risking anything –no matter how small – this late in the process.
I read your interview experience. Really unfortunate you ended up with an incompetent officer. I’m glad you heard back though, and I’m crossing my fingers you’ll receive your card soon!

Hi,

Yesterday we got our biometric letters, but the bio date is in 2 weeks. If we want to try walking-in, what time of the day we should go? Should we have a reason for doing the bio earlier than the appointment time on the letter?

Thank you very much.

It's hard to say precisely the best time for doing a walk-in. A lot depends on the ASC and their workload as at the time of an attempted walk-in. Some have reported doing walk-in sometime between 10 am and noon, others have successfully done it between 2 and 3 pm. Usually when people try to do a walk-in, they just arrive and hand over their bio letter without saying anything. If the ASC is not super busy, they will attend to you without checking the date and time of the appointment. Of course if you have a genuine reason such as going out of town and you have proof of the pending trip, you can show that if they say no.

I have the same question, guys. If I would like to try walking in, do I need to have a legit reason? I mean, I can't just tell them: "Sorry, I just want to speed things up a bit", right? Someone in the spreadsheet made a comment that he had a business trip planned on that day, but they just took his word for it and didn't ask for tickets/emails.

The problem is that my FO is like 4 hours away from where I live, so I would hate to spend 8 hours on the road in one day to be turned down at the entrance :( What are the chances of that?

Can I use InfoPass to make an appointment, maybe?

No, you cannot use Infopass to do bio. You can attempt a walk in or wait until your scheduled appointment. Like I posted above, most people attempting walk-ins simply hand over their bio letters and hope the ASC guys do not make an issue of the fact that they have no appointment on the day their showing up, and you don't necessarily need to have a legitimate reason for attempting it, but if you do have a legitimate reason then you can use that it if the need arises.

In your own case, have you confirmed that your FO is the same as your ASC? I'm sure there's got to be a closer ASC than the FO which is 4 hrs away from you.

Hi all,
want tho share this:
Selected as: 2014EU00011xxx and doing AOS
08/07/2013 – Selected
09/17/2013 – Sent to KCC: DSP-122, 4 photos (2 for me and 2 for my
spouse), the barcode sheet
11/11/2013 – Sent email to KCC stating our plan to apply for AOS
11/14/2013 - Received email “Diversity Visa Adjustment letter”
11/16/2013 – Sent to U.S. Department Of State money order for $660 (for
me and my spouse) for the DV Lottery/AOS fee, and the AOS
Fee Payment page
11/29/2013 - Received from KCC by mail “AOS fee payment” receipt, date
stamped
12/01/2013 - 2014EU00011xxx became current
12/04/2013 - Sent AOS package to Chicago lockbox
12/05/2013 - AOS package delivered to Chicago by UPS
12/10/2013 - Checks cashed
12/14/2013 – Notice Of Action (I-485 and I-765 receipts)
12/19/2014 – BIO appointment notice
01/10/2014 - Biometrics walk-in
02/21/2014 – Interview letter
03/04/2014 - Interview
03/08/2014 – Green Cards received

Congratulations. Enjoy your 'green' status.

Some great inputs Minto. Good to see 'you around' again. :)

Sm1smom has been contributing well. Kudos
Felt the need to comment after sliews recent case.

DV AOS denial or failure reasons

They can be many reasons for a DV AOS denial.I will list them and briefly comment 1. out of status- USCIS has deemed you been out of status because of a variety of reasons. In case of Visa status has expired (Note I am not referring to visa on passport, as that may expire but you are still in status e.g f-1 your I-20 has expired, B1/2 your duration of stay has expired,f-1 you or ISO May have notified uscis that you took less than 12 hours per semester without their approval (ISO is initiating this action). What is important here is that As per USCIS records you are designated as been out of status.

2. Criminal records- applicant has engaged in criminal activities and hence reason we answer the questions on I-485.

3. Financial support- applicant has not provided or shown sufficient proof that they can support the,self and avoid been a public charge.

4. Lying during interview.- self explanatory

5. Time barred applications- DV case has to be approved before September 30.so if there is an issue with your documents or interview a Diversity visa decision needs to be made by September 30.

6. Document issues- the application documents are missing or have issues which are not resolved and USCiS does not decision your case by deadline.

I am sure there are more reasons why an applicant may not be granted the visa but they will generally fall under the above classifications.

I will expound on reason 1 by providing an example If Jane Doe an F-1 student with 3 semesters left wins the DV lottery. She will be required to maintain her f-1 status throughout the whole process. I use require rather recommended so that in event AOS is denied she can still maintain f-1 status. It would not be advisable to request an EAD card as denial of aisle will invalidate her f-1 status. Jane Dow worked outside without uscis authorization, school and uscis not aware of this but she still attended school and maintained her 12 hour minimum credit hours. She attends interview and Uscis becomes aware of this violation .This is grounds for AOS denial as well as F-1 status revocation.
Same jane doe has one semester left and will graduate before the interview will take place. It is advisable to apply for and obtain OPT approval before submitting I-485. There may be unique circumstances where due to time constraints you might forego opt application. Example graduating in May but DV deadline is September 30, and you feel thus might delay I-485 processing then one might file I-485 and forego OPT. Keep in mind OPT requirements are that you find a job in your field of study within 60 days of card issuance.. Your ISO can advise on this requirement. I-485 filing and USCIS acceptance acknowledgement been mailed will allow you to stay in the country and await interview. The acceptance does not grant you any DV status and hence Jane Doe cannot work unless she had concurrently applied and received her EAD card.

Every applicants situation is different and without all the facts you cannot extrapolate an applicants AOS denial to yours. In the unfortunate case of denial ask for reason as this will help an attorney advise appropriately.

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I have question reading birth certificate translation. I'm competent in both English and my native language. Can I do the translation myself and certify that I'm competent as follow:

I [typed my name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name
Address

Or someone else other than the petitioner should translate it? if this is the case, can my brother translate and certify it?

Another question: Should it be notarized?

Thank you,

No, you cannot do the translation yourself. I would suggest you consider using a none family member to do the translation, only use your brother if it's extremely hard to find such. The translated copy does not need to be notarized, and that is one good reason to ensure the translation is not done by a family member.

1. The IL you received is a generic one used by your FO, the translated foreign documents do not need to be notarized. You should be fine as long as you the translated copies certified.

2. W2s for the past three years should suffice. Pay stubs for the past 3 months will also do.

3. No, it should be fine.

4. As long as you sent in the sealed copy with your I-485 package, you should be okay. Again, the IL is a generic one and that portion really is for those who sent in their I-485 without the medical form. Of course you should still attend the interview with your copy of the medical form.

No, you cannot use Infopass to do bio. You can attempt a walk in or wait until your scheduled appointment. Like I posted above, most people attempting walk-ins simply hand over their bio letters and hope the ASC guys do not make an issue of the fact that they have no appointment on the day their showing up, and you don't necessarily need to have a legitimate reason for attempting it, but if you do have a legitimate reason then you can use that it if the need arises.

In your own case, have you confirmed that your FO is the same as your ASC? I'm sure there's got to be a closer ASC than the FO which is 4 hrs away from you.

Many thanks for your reply, Sm1smom!

My ASC is the same as my FO. The BIO letter lists it too, and that's the one that the Office Locator shows when I enter my ZIP code. I just live in the middle of nowhere, pretty much. There are offices that may be a bit closer (like 3,5 hours) but they are in different states and serve different counties.

Also, could you please tell me if there is any possibility that a walk-in may mess things up or may not have any effect on the timing? Like maybe they assign a specific date for a reason, and they will wait until it comes to start processing your case further. In other words, if I do a walk-in, do I have a good chance to really speed things up, and not cause confusion instead?

Thanks and sorry about being so meticulous - I just have 8 hours of driving and taking a day off at stake. I know no one can decide for me, but I'm trying to get as much advice as I can :)

Oh, I see. Didn't realize you already got your bio letter. Anyway a walk in bio does not negatively impact people's cases, that I know for sure! A DV 2013 selectee tried to do a walk in at his ASC and was turned back. He simply went to another ASC, which by the way was technically in another State, but was closer to his office, the next day and did the walk in there without a single question being asked! However, I don't know if it sometimes hasten the rest of the processing. Most people do walk ins because it feels good to have gotten that process out of the way.

In your case if you attempt a walk in and they try to give you a hard time, just give them some kind of sob story. You can play on their emotion by letting them know you live 4 hrs away, make them feel sorry for you. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something.

Many thanks for your reply, Sm1smom!

My ASC is the same as my FO. The BIO letter lists it too, and that's the one that the Office Locator shows when I enter my ZIP code. I just live in the middle of nowhere, pretty much. There are offices that may be a bit closer (like 3,5 hours) but they are in different states and serve different counties.

Also, could you please tell me if there is any possibility that a walk-in may mess things up or may not have any effect on the timing? Like maybe they assign a specific date for a reason, and they will wait until it comes to start processing your case further. In other words, if I do a walk-in, do I have a good chance to really speed things up, and not cause confusion instead?

Thanks and sorry about being so meticulous - I just have 8 hours of driving and taking a day off at stake. I know no one can decide for me, but I'm trying to get as much advice as I can :)

Status
Not open for further replies.