• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINALLY, we've got our INTERVIEW LETTERS that for April 18th from DC office. I got the interview letter from the Representative office that I asked them for USCIS. The USCIS directly sent the IL to them and they forwarded to me.
DV PERM: I think you should also receive it very soon and you should be the same day as I understood.

Sounds GOOD :)
We cross our figures for your success. Hope DVperm, also, receives it as soon as possible.
Good luck :)

So reading about Sliew's predicament filled me with horror. Assuming that the issue was that the officer didnt know the OP was in pending status (having been in status at the time when uscis accepted hos AOS package), I am wondering whether I should take some materials with me should the same issue arise. Im thinking that the NY FO might be better informed but Id rather be prepared for the possibility so that I can tackle the issue on the spot.

Does anyone know where the rules for what constitutes being "in status" etc are found? Something that I could point to as being authoritative? Is there some kind of manual for FOs that would prove that if my case was accepted whilst I was in status that I remain in status/pending status at the time of the interview even if I would otherwise have fallen out of status?

Thanks again peoples :D

I'm in the similar situation where past June 25th, my grace period kicks in. If somebody knows where to find this information pertaining to being in status at the time of I-485 approval, please post your reply!!!

Sounds GOOD :)
We cross our figures for your success. Hope DVperm, also, receives it as soon as possible.
Good luck :)

Congrats iel.hoss and thanks for the info. Aria, thank you for the nice wishes. I haven't received anything yet. Will keep you guys updated.

FINALLY, we've got our INTERVIEW LETTERS that for April 18th from DC office. I got the interview letter from the Representative office that I asked them for USCIS. The USCIS directly sent the IL to them and they forwarded to me.
DV PERM: I think you should also receive it very soon and you should be the same day as I understood.

That's great! All the best with the interview itself.

Sm1

Congrats iel.hoss and thanks for the info. Aria, thank you for the nice wishes. I haven't received anything yet. Will keep you guys updated.

Can't quite remember, did you also contact your congress person to request they follow up with USCIS on your behalf?

Sm1smom,

I didn't ask for follow up but they did contact me directly and informed me about this IL too!

I guess I didn't quite use the correct words in asking my question. I wanted to know if DvPerm contacted his/her congress person to initiate an inquiry with USCIS like you did a while ago. In your own case, I'm aware you contacted your congress person a couple of weeks ago and because your congress person did contact your FO, USCIS got back in touch with them to let them know about your interview.

Can't quite remember, did you also contact your congress person to request they follow up with USCIS on your behalf?

I sent a couple of emails but did not mail the request. Since they cannot follow up without the signed form, they probably did not contact USCIS on my behalf.

Really?:confused:

Well, I guess you must have had your personal reason(s) for not authorizing them. If you did, I think USCIS would have felt a little bit more pressure and probably would have issued your IL too by now. Anyway, fingers crossed for you too, you may be getting it in the next couple of days.

I sent a couple of emails but did not mail the request. Since they cannot follow up without the signed form, they probably did not contact USCIS on my behalf.

Hi,

Yesterday we got our biometric letters, but the bio date is in 2 weeks. If we want to try walking-in, what time of the day we should go? Should we have a reason for doing the bio earlier than the appointment time on the letter?

Thank you very much.

To send or not to send forms

Dear all,

Thank your for this useful info. I'll try to be as concise as possible

Selected as follows: 2014SA0025xx

STATUS: F1, with I-20 until November 30th 2014. Living in Florida, USA

NO FORMS SENT YET - JUST PAPER WORKING for future elegible numbers ahead

Seems that (based on previous DV years) I'll be elegible for CURRENT around July 1st (So, notified on last days of May)

QUESTION1: DO I HAVE TO SEND ANY FORM NOW? WAIT ONE MORE MONTH (APRIL) OR TWO (MAY) OR UNTIL BE CURRENT?

QUESTION2: IF I APPLY FOR AOS, WHICH FORM(S) DO I HAVE TO SEND? 122?, 230? BOTH? OR WHICH FORM? (+PHOTOS..ETC)

STRONGLY FREAKED ABOUT THIS!

Thanks in advance!

P.S: Already checked in this post (around 10 pages) and haven't find somebody like me (from South America) with my questions

Check the first 10 pages. This will answer all your questions:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=5

Dear all,

Seems that (based on previous DV years) I'll be elegible for CURRENT around July 1st (So, notified on last days of May)

QUESTION1: DO I HAVE TO SEND ANY FORM NOW? WAIT ONE MORE MONTH (APRIL) OR TWO (MAY) OR UNTIL BE CURRENT?

QUESTION2: IF I APPLY FOR AOS, WHICH FORM(S) DO I HAVE TO SEND? 122?, 230? BOTH? OR WHICH FORM? (+PHOTOS..ETC)

Thanks in advance!

P.S: Already checked in this post (around 10 pages) and haven't find somebody like me (from South America) with my questions

Dear all,

Thanks in advance!

OK first of all, welcome!

THis year is different to other years. They selected around 30% more selectees, so it is likely that (unlike other recent years) not everyone will get a visa. Also the timing of when case numbers are processed will be different this year. The latest VB (with numbers for May) has SA cutoff at 1325. That is after 7 months of progress. So it is unlikely that SA25XX will be current in July. I think August is possible, but September is the most likely (unless we see huge jumps in the next VB in a couple of weeks time). In my opinion, that will make aos a bit riskier because firstly you have to complete your case by 30th September (the end of the year) BUT you also have to complete the case before the visas run out. I think they will run out during September. SO - if you start in September, you would have to get things through VERY fast indeed. The alternative is to do CP in your home country but given your visa status that is not without risk either - I'm sure someone will step in and outline that for you although I know the comparison is discussed in the first 10 pages or so of this thread. It's your call but you need to weigh up your options - perhaps see what happens in the next VB.

In answer to your 2 questions (if you decide to do aos)

1. You can send in your form notifying them that you will do aos before you are current. Once you see the VB released that makes your number current (mid June for August, mid July for September) you can send in your adjustment of status pack. The usual advice is to wait until the 1st of the month before you are current (so that is July 1 for August current cases and August 1 for September current cases).

2. If you are doing aos you only need to send the 122 form to KCC and then the rest of the pack is prepared according to the spreadsheet instructions in this thread.

reply to..

Thank your for your quick reply.

Everything understood. But:

QUESTION1: What do you mean by "..complete your case by 30th September.."?

Does it mean that I have to start and finish all paperwork+medical exam=fee payments, ALL by Sept. 30th? So, ONLY ONE MONTH? Or I just can start by June or so, sending forms, paying fee, going doctor so I just have everything ready until my number gets current?

QUESTION2: what do you mean by "..also have to complete the case before the visas run out.."

It means that despite Im elegible with current status for sept.1 st, visas can run out in that month? really? It could be as bad as luck as that?

Thank again!

OK first of all, welcome!

THis year is different to other years. They selected around 30% more selectees, so it is likely that (unlike other recent years) not everyone will get a visa. Also the timing of when case numbers are processed will be different this year. The latest VB (with numbers for May) has SA cutoff at 1325. That is after 7 months of progress. So it is unlikely that SA25XX will be current in July. I think August is possible, but September is the most likely (unless we see huge jumps in the next VB in a couple of weeks time). In my opinion, that will make aos a bit riskier because firstly you have to complete your case by 30th September (the end of the year) BUT you also have to complete the case before the visas run out. I think they will run out during September. SO - if you start in September, you would have to get things through VERY fast indeed. The alternative is to do CP in your home country but given your visa status that is not without risk either - I'm sure someone will step in and outline that for you although I know the comparison is discussed in the first 10 pages or so of this thread. It's your call but you need to weigh up your options - perhaps see what happens in the next VB.

In answer to your 2 questions (if you decide to do aos)

1. You can send in your form notifying them that you will do aos before you are current. Once you see the VB released that makes your number current (mid June for August, mid July for September) you can send in your adjustment of status pack. The usual advice is to wait until the 1st of the month before you are current (so that is July 1 for August current cases and August 1 for September current cases).

2. If you are doing aos you only need to send the 122 form to KCC and then the rest of the pack is prepared according to the spreadsheet instructions in this thread.

Thank your for your quick reply.

Everything understood. But:

QUESTION1: What do you mean by "..complete your case by 30th September.."?

Does it mean that I have to start and finish all paperwork+medical exam=fee payments, ALL by Sept. 30th? So, ONLY ONE MONTH? Or I just can start by June or so, sending forms, paying fee, going doctor so I just have everything ready until my number gets current?

QUESTION2: what do you mean by "..also have to complete the case before the visas run out.."

It means that despite Im elegible with current status for sept.1 st, visas can run out in that month? really? It could be as bad as luck as that?

Thank again!

You can submit your paperwork early as I mentioned before (and that means you can do medicals before you are current) - but your adjustment interview cannot take place before you are current, so that has to be scheduled and completed before either the end of the year (9/30) OR before the visas are exhausted.

Every year, KCC select more "winners" than the allowance of visas (between 50k to 55k). In normal years they select around 110 to 110k winners and so many cases drop out that they end up having enough visas to meet demand. This year they have selected 140k - a 30% increase without a corresponding increase in visas available - so yes it is possible (I'd say likely, and even certain) that there will not be enough visas for all. KCC are controlling the pace of processing, but I think it is likely they will hit the limits during September (that is my belief - but not everyone agrees).

To understand the process better I suggest you study this thread carefully and also read and digest the spreadsheet I mentioned earlier (link here) I am NOT an expert on aos - so please form your own opinion and be guided by more experienced people here.

Dear all,

Thanks in advance!

You don't need to find "somebody like you (from S/A) for most (if not all) the questions you've asked to be answered. If you've truly spent some time going through the first couple of pages on this thread, you would have come across the spreadsheet which (neshate and britsimon wrote about) and you would have discovered the step by step instructions/guidance on what to do.

Aos

Hi everybody!

I am a student adjusting my status to resident. I am on the process and I have some questions regarding to the documents that I have to send to The USCIS. I have already paid the fee to KCC and I will do my medical examination next week.

I see that my number of visa will be post sooner, my case number is 15XX. So, 3 questions:

1. When do I need to send the form I-485? I know that I have to be current and bellow the number that they post, but is it means that once the number is posted I need to send the forms? for example people who are current for may, do they have to send the forms since now?

2. I am from Venezuela and the current situation does not allow me to apostille and legalize my documents. I have with me translations of my degree, high school diploma, birth certificate and certifications of my previous work when I was there but they are not legalize neither apostille, so I want to know if I have to do it. If I had to I would find the way to have them. The police records are necessary?. Some people say that you should get it from your country.

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi,

Yesterday we got our biometric letters, but the bio date is in 2 weeks. If we want to try walking-in, what time of the day we should go? Should we have a reason for doing the bio earlier than the appointment time on the letter?

Thank you very much.

I have the same question, guys. If I would like to try walking in, do I need to have a legit reason? I mean, I can't just tell them: "Sorry, I just want to speed things up a bit", right? Someone in the spreadsheet made a comment that he had a business trip planned on that day, but they just took his word for it and didn't ask for tickets/emails.

The problem is that my FO is like 4 hours away from where I live, so I would hate to spend 8 hours on the road in one day to be turned down at the entrance :( What are the chances of that?

Can I use InfoPass to make an appointment, maybe?

Hi everybody!

I am a student adjusting my status to resident. I am on the process and I have some questions regarding to the documents that I have to send to The USCIS. I have already paid the fee to KCC and I will do my medical examination next week.

I see that my number of visa will be post sooner, my case number is 15XX. So, 3 questions:

1. When do I need to send the form I-485? I know that I have to be current and bellow the number that they post, but is it means that once the number is posted I need to send the forms? for example people who are current for may, do they have to send the forms since now?

2. I am from Venezuela and the current situation does not allow me to apostille and legalize my documents. I have with me translations of my degree, high school diploma, birth certificate and certifications of my previous work when I was there but they are not legalize neither apostille, so I want to know if I have to do it. If I had to I would find the way to have them. The police records are necessary?. Some people say that you should get it from your country.

Hi everybody!

Hola y bienvenido! :)

Don't forget to let KCC know that you are doing AOS - you will need to send them DSP-122 and photos, and they will have to send you an email confirming that they are aware of your intention to do AOS. You will need to include that email in the packet along with the DV fee payment confirmation.

1) Legally, you may mail your I-485 (along with all the other documents) as soon as they publish the visa bulletin that shows that your case number will become current (below the one posted) in section "C" (Cut-offs which will apply in two months). So, legally, if the June 2014 bulletin, published in May, shows that you will become current in July (section C), you may file the I-485 right after you see it posted. Please refer to the new memorandum: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

However, some people had their application rejected as prematurely filed, when they did it. This was wrong, but it happened. So, it is best to file 1 month in advance (e.g. if you will be current in July, it's best to file on June 1, to be on the safe side).

HOWEVER, looks like you have a high case number, so maybe you'd better risk it and file as soon as possible, e.g. two months in advance. According to the Timelines sheet in the spreadsheet file on the first page of this forum, there were some "April" applicants who filed in February, and they weren't rejected. So, they "won" a whole month of precious time. Definitely, don't wait until the month you actually become current.

2) As far as I know, your translations don't have to be legalized/notarized, they just need to be certified, i.e. whoever did the translation should write that he/she is qualified to translate from Spanish, and then date and sign it. I don't know really how official the translations should look, but I don't think they have to be notarized. Guys, please correct it me if I'm mistaken.

So, if your translations are already certified, I guess you won't have to worry about it. If you're worried, you may have your papers translated in the US, like with rev.com - they do it very fast (1 day) and attach a certification note.

If you're doing AOS, you don't have to provide police records. Look at the very first post of this thread - there's a link to an online spreadsheet which lists all the documents you need to include in your application packet, as well as loads of other useful info.

Suerte! :)

Got the Green Cards!!!

Hi all,
want tho share this:
Selected as: 2014EU00011xxx and doing AOS
08/07/2013 – Selected
09/17/2013 – Sent to KCC: DSP-122, 4 photos (2 for me and 2 for my
spouse), the barcode sheet
11/11/2013 – Sent email to KCC stating our plan to apply for AOS
11/14/2013 - Received email “Diversity Visa Adjustment letter”
11/16/2013 – Sent to U.S. Department Of State money order for $660 (for
me and my spouse) for the DV Lottery/AOS fee, and the AOS
Fee Payment page
11/29/2013 - Received from KCC by mail “AOS fee payment” receipt, date
stamped
12/01/2013 - 2014EU00011xxx became current
12/04/2013 - Sent AOS package to Chicago lockbox
12/05/2013 - AOS package delivered to Chicago by UPS
12/10/2013 - Checks cashed
12/14/2013 – Notice Of Action (I-485 and I-765 receipts)
12/19/2014 – BIO appointment notice
01/10/2014 - Biometrics walk-in
02/21/2014 – Interview letter
03/04/2014 - Interview
03/08/2014 – Green Cards received

Status
Not open for further replies.