• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Winner of DV2006. Adjustment of status (F1 visa)

Hi all,

i waited like 30min until they called me. I was nervous. The
immigration officer was very nice. He was a black guy. When we came to
his room, i was asked to rise my right hand and i took a oath. He asked
me questions from i485 form. When he asked me have i ever been
arrested? I said yes. He smiled. The he asked me what did i do? I said,
i was arrested of 3 tickets, no license, insurance and the license
plates was expired. He didn't even ask me to show court records. Then,
he asked me I-20 form from school and other documents which r belong to
my status. He also asked me to show birth certificate, high school
diploma. He was looking very carefully at my documents, dates, names, i
think he wanted to be sure that everything is correct. He had all the
KCC information about me. I saw DSP-122 form on his table, original DV
picture, etc. Then, he said Congatulation!! At that moment i was like
shocked, i didn't know what to say.. Felt very good. He put a stamp on
i485 and in my passport. He printed out a paper that it says i've been
granted permanent resident alien status and gave it to me. He told me
that a card should arrive in 2 weeks. That's all.

There is a bad part about this experience. The officer forgot to give
me EAD and I-94 form. It was in my passport and when i gave it to him,
he took it and put it away.

Congratulations !! this is very good news !
i guess, you do not need I-94 form anymore, at leats after you will get GC. i do not know anyting about EAD, probably you can contact them just get it back !!

borya,

probably that i can contact them and get it back, but the stamp clearly says that i can work, so i do not need EAD. Maybe that's why the officer didn't give it to me. I hope, u'll get everything done soon.

Congratulations Hmz!

For Hmz or Borya: On your interview Appointment Notice, were you told to appear with your petitioner for the appointment?
Thanks.

DmmApril

Had the same situation as you Borya

hey Borya!
i guess i had the same situation as you Borya in 2005. I had my interview in april 2005. everything was perfect and officer even asked me if I want to get GC today. I was like "Yeeee, I guess" :))))) i could not believe it. But few minutes later he told me that he need some additional info from KCC. And he told me to come back in mid August if I dont hear from him. I decided to come in early August... I made infopass appointment and lady in in the infopass window told me I was approved the day before. :)))))) and couple days later I got my GC.
Now I guess they work faster .. she told you 6 weeks... I pretty sure you gonna be fine. :)))
good luck

To DmmApril: yes, in appointment letter (last one) i was told to be with petitioner, but i was alone since i do not have such ...:)

To vliething: thank you for support, i really think that i gonna be ok, because i cannot image any reasons why not .... but still ,when one forced (i hope for a while) to wait more it is kind of not fare. anyway ...

6 weeks - curtanly progress, but it can depend on particular reason ... what was in your case ? i mean did they tald you what exactly they were waiting from KCC?
i thing, i can be on administrative process ... but this is just my guess ...

Hi All ! Very good new: I just got a Forth notice from the USCIS (Chicago) that i has been granted Permanent Resident Status ! Yes ...., this is really victory :) As i promised before, i will post chronology of my pathway once i will get plastic card.
I am planning to make an appointemnt to USCIS (they acctually suggested in the last notice) to get an stamp I-551 because i am planning to go on the conference abroad in the march, and i am afraid that i might not receive by regular mail GC before that. Thay told me in the last notice that within several months i will get GC by mail.

This exact notice that i got from USCIS:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dear Sir or Madam:

Please be advised that you have been granted permanent resident alien status as of February 1 2006. This letter should not be regarded as proof of that status. You are being processed for an alien registration card, which will be mailed to you at the above address within the next several months. If you move from that address prior to receiving the card, please notify this office by mail of your new address. If you require proof of your status in order to travel, accept employment or other reason, you may make an appointment and go to 10 West Jackson in Chicago, IL, for a temporary stamp. Bring this letter and your passport with you.

Sincerely,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi borya,

Congrats again! Is that letter Notice of Action or just regular letter from local office? Did online status change? What did happen to our F1 (student) vizas? Is it gone?

congratlations! and its good to get your i94 back , you might need it when you apply for cityzenship,they ask all the documents all over.

hi hmz !
thank you for the warm words !
1. I got just regulal paper from USCIS Chicago, it is not Notice of Action.
2. The online status did not change, i do not thing so that it if going to be changed in near several months :)
3. I thing onece i will get GC i will go in my university Immigration office to talk with them. I thing we should forget about our F1 visas ...

hi winner2006 ! thank you ! i was really surprised to see in my mail box letter from USCIS ....

hi CATI2006 ! Thank you for important comments ! I just made an appointment for incoming monday (6 feb) to Chicago USCIS, i really want to get I-551... I will try to keep I-94, but i have heard that when they are stamping I-551, they usually try to take I-94 from the passport ... Let's see ......

borya,

for me, online status changed the same day after the interview. It says: This case has been approved. On February 2, 2006, an approval notice was mailed. I should get a notice on Monday and the card a little bit latter. I think, u will see the same message on Monday. The immigracion officer issued to me almost the same letter as u got today. The officer told me if i won't get GC in a few month, make an InfoPass appointment.

his exact notice that i got from USCIS:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dear Sir or Madam:

Please be advised that you have been granted permanent resident alien status as of February 1 2006. This letter should not be regarded as proof of that status. You are being processed for an alien registration card, which will be mailed to you at the above address within the next 18 months. If you move from that address prior to receiving the card, please notify this office by mail of your new address. If you require proof of your status in order to travel, accept employment or other reason, please set up an appointment via InfoPass so that you may come to one of our offices for a temporary stamp. Bring this letter and your passport with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, since right now is weekend, probably i should see the same. if not, i will ask them on monday :) i really surprise that your online status changes so fast ....

hi Dv_EU_WIN !
And i want to say thank for your advices too. Actually, i hope to get GC much before my actual travel, but i need to get I-551 fast enough just because of phyhological reasonns: when one wait something so long, you really want to use aby chances to get it done as soon as possible :)