trips over 6 mos - interview approaching..

Status
Not open for further replies.
excellent !
I could not suppress my Laugh after reading all related post with your long trips.Everyone was trying to help though.
I think , each case is different and it depends on IO how she or he handles the case at particular time and day.

I have heard usually USCIS want every legitimate applicant to pass the interview.
Can you elaborate your whole interview?

GOT APPROVED! no questions asked about travelling.

thanks for encouraging me..
Congratulations on obtaining your citizenship fraudulently (by knowingly not fully disclosing required information).

I hope you're happy living with the knowledge that USCIS almost certainly already have all the information about your trips and if they ever choose to perform a mass automated audit of this they could strip you of your citizenship at the drop of a hat.

What was wrong with telling the truth and playing by the rules like the majority of us do?

excellent !
I could not suppress my Laugh after reading all related post with your long trips.Everyone was trying to help though.
I think , each case is different and it depends on IO how she or he handles the case at particular time and day.

I have heard usually USCIS want every legitimate applicant to pass the interview.
Can you elaborate your whole interview?

If applicant can lie to USCIS on application ,how do you believe that posting APPROVED is not a lie?

I had exactly the same amount of time when I applied for Citizenship back in March 2007. During my interview the officer even told me that 3yrs 11mos. was not even close to having 5 years continuous residency and she even told me when I should be applying and suggested me to withdraw the application.

Don't apply. You will get denied. Just wait 13 more months and you will be ok.

Did the IO told you to actually complete 5 years before applying? 5 years, meaning, the total amount of time physically present in the US and NOT from the time you got your GC until you are eligible to apply 5 years after?

Please clarify. I may have the same case as yours. I had almost 11 months of absence in the US (cumulative, each trip less than 6 months).

Thanks.

A lot of people usually discourage people with continuous residency issues ( made trips over 6 months or so or made multiple trips totalling close to 2.5 years) to even apply. I say if you have valid reasons, please do not hesitate to try. The worth that can come out of it is a NO.

Read my whole interview story below.

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=290021

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on obtaining your citizenship fraudulently (by knowingly not fully disclosing required information).

I hope you're happy living with the knowledge that USCIS almost certainly already have all the information about your trips and if they ever choose to perform a mass automated audit of this they could strip you of your citizenship at the drop of a hat.

What was wrong with telling the truth and playing by the rules like the majority of us do?

I did not get my citizenship fraudulently. I belive every IO knows all the travelling we made prior to the interview and if he thinks the trips were too long or we did not meet the requirement physical presence of at least half of the 5 year period) he will ask about travelling.

In my case I was not asked. (my advice: do not say anything unless you are asked!)

Already took the oath, got my certificate and U.S. passport!

I did not get my citizenship fraudulently. I belive every IO knows all the travelling we made prior to the interview and if he thinks the trips were too long or we did not meet the requirement phisical presence of at least half of the 5 year period) he will ask about travelling.
They don't know 100% of the trips for everybody. If they knew about the trips and you didn't list them, they would have said something about it in the interview or denied you afterwards.
I my case I was not asked.
You were asked. The N-400 asked you to list all your trips since becoming a PR. If you deliberately did not list some long trips you took during the past 5 years, and failed to mention the trips at the interview, that is fraud.

If you deliberately did not list some long trips you took during the past 5 years, and failed to mention the trips at the interview, that is fraud.

That's the fun part - all USCIS needs to prove in the future is that you took the trip; it's pretty hard for one to claim to a US federal judge that one "forgot" about a long absence overseas.

There's no statute of limitations on this, either. They might not find out until 30 years from now when you retire. That's what they did to the old Nazi concentration camp guards.

I did not get my citizenship fraudulently. I belive every IO knows all the travelling we made prior to the interview and if he thinks the trips were too long or we did not meet the requirement physical presence of at least half of the 5 year period) he will ask about travelling.

In my case I was not asked. (my advice: do not say anything unless you are asked!)

You did not disclose 2 long trips (> 6 month) trips on N-400 during statutory period and you are convinced you did not obtain citizenship fraudulently?:confused:

I guess this guy is really made of rock, else it will be scary as hell going to US government and telling blunt lies. (If not disclosing is treated as a lie... lol...)

Already took the oath, got my certificate and U.S. passport!
Fool yourself as much as you want, but the facts are:

1) You were not eligible for naturalization because you failed to meet the continuous residence requirement.

2) You knowingly lied on the N-400 form to hide your ineligibility - which is fraud by any definition.

3) The USCIS has all the information to detect this fraud at any time.

If you had played by the rules you would have delayed your citizenship by a couple of years. Instead, you chose to commit a crime that, if detected, could potentially bar you from getting citizenship permanently.

I would suggest you come clean with CIS, or their agents may be on their way to ...
I know you are being sarcastic, but if the OP is convinced he didn't commit fraud then he will have no problem sending a letter to USCIS asking them to correct a couple of omissions from his N-400 for "his peace of mind". After all, he knows he did nothing wrong.

Ultimately it's the decision of the OP to either come clean or not. You guys tried to give him sound advice to disclose all of his trips and come clean and he obviously didn't take it. At this point there's not much anybody else can do. As Jackolantern said, the damage has been done.

I agree with you guys that he should have disclosed his trips to USCIS. He took a big risk by lying to them, if he was caught, he would have been in a big trouble. But as long as he has not committed any crimes and is not a danger to the country, I think he should be all right!

In terms of the government keeping everyone’s travel records, I doubt that’s true. They do check names of all passengers coming to the US, all airlines provide passengers names in advance, and they may do the same for departing passengers. But as you all know, the USCIS cannot even keep a record of fingerprints for a long time, all fingerprints expire I believe in 12 months. I really doubt they can keep everyone’s travel record for 5 years!

Gino

I really doubt they can keep everyone’s travel record for 5 years!
I don't think they have 100% of everybody's travel records, but since 9/11 they do keep records for years for many people. A British actor was deported in 2002 for overstaying a visa in 1997. Not overstaying since 1997 ... he overstayed for a short time and then took trips back and forth in the years afterwards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/2072674.stm

You did not disclose 2 long trips (> 6 month) trips on N-400 during statutory period and you are convinced you did not obtain citizenship fraudulently?:confused:

I guess this guy is really made of rock, else it will be scary as hell going to US government and telling blunt lies. (If not disclosing is treated as a lie... lol...)

I did not disclose because they happened right after I send the application. I did not lie because I was not asked about travelling. If IO would have asked me, I would certainly tell the truth because he could also check my travel documents.

I'm so happy nobody congrats me !! :)

Ultimately it's the decision of the OP to either come clean or not. You guys tried to give him sound advice to disclose all of his trips and come clean and he obviously didn't take it. At this point there's not much anybody else can do. As Jackolantern said, the damage has been done.

there is no damage guys! relax, I'm a great american, I've been listening to Sean Hannity show long before becoming citizen:)

Now I'm preparing to take the FSO test! Wish me luck:)

Also, to mention 1 thing for the few of you that think I got my citizenship fraudulently:

when at my citizenship interview I had my Passport and "THE BLUE" travel document put on the desk in front of the IO's eyes and he asked me to put them on the chair, so obviously he saw I had a travel document which I received after I sent my application, so if he wanted he could ask me to take a look inside the Travel Document, knowing that anyone who has it, is for the purpose of staying over 6 months overseas and not putting in danger the GC.

All the best from a great american!

I did not disclose because they happened right after I send the application.

You were required to disclose them at interview or oath. If you didn't, you with held a materiel fact and are exposing yourself to possible future denaturalization. Were the travel dates stamped on your passport or on the blue book? Did the IO ask you if had traveled since sending in application?

Status
Not open for further replies.