-new medical exam
-interview will be viedo taped!!!

Thats it!!
Surprised that interview date is less than a month away 10/20/2004
Rd:10/02
Nd:10/02
Td:6/04

Hi, Wonnderfulboy,

I really do not know anything. I am also looking for the answers. Pls let me know if you come to know anything .

Hi brightstar,

i didn't quiet follow you when u mean
- Redo FP
- new medical examination

when did ur case transferred to washington dc based on vermont center online message service? When did you receive the interview letter?

Looking at the processing dates of Washington DC office they are stating that for 485 applications they are processing cases with receipt dates as August 28th 2003. Does it mean the receipt date when they receive the application (ie. xxxx 2004) or the actual 485 receipt date (xxxx 2002)?

As I said in my message, I need to do a new fingerprinting and a new medical exam as requested in the interview letter which I recieved on 9/21/04. My case was transfered from vermont on 06/04 and my interview will be on 10/20/04.In addition, I need to bring valid passport, I-94, birth certificate, marriage/divorce certificates, any arrests or related issues documents.

brightstar,

when did you receive the interview letter by the way? Have you done 2nd FP before or did only the 1st FP before case is transferred? In my case i gave my 2nd FP in july 3rd week. Do you have any RFE related to medicals before transfer ? I am just trying to understand why would you ask to do medicals again if you did your medicals during the time of submitting 485 application? Also where do you go to get the reports about arrests etc if you dont have any such?

wonderfulboy said:
Does any body know

1) How much time will it take for the applications to be transferred from vermont service center to local office?
I THINK IT TAKES 2 TO 3 WEEKS TO GET FILES TRANSFERRED, THROUGH INS DELIVERY.
2) What is the meaning of the processing reciept date for local office? Is that the date the application is received in their office or the original 485 receipt date?
THAT DATE YOU SEE ON THE LOCAL WASHINGTON OFFICE FOR 485 CASES ONLY APPLIES TO CASES THAT WERE ORIGINALLY SUBMITTED AT THAT OFFICE( I.G. FAMILY BASED CASES AND ASSILUM)
SOME PEOPLE SAY THAT EMPLOYMENT BASED CASES ARE HANDLED IN A DIFFERENT OFFICE WITHIN THE WASHINGTON OFFICE, THEREFORE THOSE DATES DO NOT APPLY FOR EMPLOYMENT BASED CASES, AND THE ANSWER IS NO, NOBODY KNOWS WHATS THE CUT OFF DATES OR PROCESSING DATES

3) Is it a mandatory that all people whose case is transferred to the local office have to attend the interview?
yES THE INTERVIEW IS MANDATORY ALTHOUGH I HAVE SEEN SOME PEOPLE ON OTHER OFFICES GET TRANSFERED AND THEN GET APPROVED BY MAIL, BUT ITS VERY UNLIKELY.

4) After receiving the application how soon the local office might send an invite for the interview? SOME PEOPLE IN THIS FORUM WERE TRANSFERED BACK IN DECEMBER OF 2003 AND ARE STILL WAITING FOR INTERVIEW DATE

5) What kind of documents need to be taken for the interview?
ONCE YOU GET THE INTERVIEW LETTER THEY WILL LET YOU KNOW IN IT WHAT YOU NEED TO TAKE, USUALLY W2 AND TAXES FOR THE PAST 3 YRS AND ALSO PASSPORT AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE I-94 AND EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION LETTER, SHOWING CURRENT POSITION AND SALARY, MAKE SURE THE SAME AS LABOR CERTIFICATION STATES.
6) What are the chances of getting the case rejected compared to approved?
THAT QUESTION I DON'T KNOW, I WOULD SAY 99% OF CASES GET APPROVED, INTERVIEW IS JUST A FORMALITY, THEY ASK YOU TO TAKE OATH, PUT YOUR FINGER PRINTS AND ANSWER A FEW QUESTION FROM 485 FORM, NO MORE THAN 5 MINUTES INTERVIEW.!!!!!

Guys i have another question after my case is transferred to local washington dc office. My 2nd EAD and AP is expiring in 2nd week of february 2005. Now since my case is transferred to washington dc do i need to apply for 3rd ead and 3rd AP at local office directly or as usual need to file normally?

Please share the experience.

Also the biggest scary thing i am looking at in the forum of local office transfers is people are not receiving interview notices atleast after 6 months - 1 year the case is transferred. Is it the case with washington dc office also?

Hi Guys,

Can any one share their recent experiences of 485 interview process in Washington DC office? My case has been transferred to Washington DC office. I am not sure why case has been specifically moved to local office rather than approving straight away.

I never had any RFE till now after i filed my labour application in May 2001 and 485 process in December 2002.

My labour is filed from Virginia state at that time i used to work in New Jersey. After that i moved to Maryland state and then currently i am in Virginia state.

Around 2 months before i bought a house and i moved to new house in june 2004. I notified BCIS for change address (both AR-11 and called 1-800-375-5283 to reflect 485 process).

Gave 2nd Finger Prints on July 24th 2004.

2 days before from current date i.e. 21st September 2004 before my online case status changed to transfer to local office some one from BCIS called from local area i.e. 202 (washington DC area). The representative asked me if i have any outstanding issues during that call he confirmed that my 2nd FP finger print reports are received, Investigation background report has been received and when i asked him he said the process will be approved in the regular process.

On 23rd september i.e. yesterday mine and my wife's online status changed that the case is transferred to washington dc office.

I have sent an email my attorney i.e. Rajiv Khanna (owner of this website :)). They said will contact soon.

I want to get an estimate how much time it will take to get the application transferred for me and my wife's cases? How soon will they issue interview notice? How stressful will the interview be? Tips for the interview? What documents need to be carried for the interview? Do i need to do my medicals or finger prints again?

Bear with me for long message. But please do share your experiences.

brightstar,

Looks like you are the recent one whose case got transferred to Washington DC office. Can you give some idea how did you approach the local office for the information? Do you have any contact information of them? Also do you know how to contact the local congressman/senator by any chance to speed up my process. It sounds scary for me by guys in the forum that it might get delayed by 5 months - 1 year etc.

fingerprints appoinment

hi guys, i just received a call from my lawyer, they have the appoinment letter for finger prints for my self, the date is november 6th 2004

no appoinmet notice for my wife and son yet........

140/485 rd 04/15/2004
140 appoval 08/05/2004
485 transfer to wash dc office 08/05/2004
fingerprint notice 09/23/2004.....appoinment 11/06/2004
Interview date ??????? hope soon

is this normal to get fingerprint notice first/?? i though i would get finger print and interview date at the same time?

another question:
when i first came here to the us i was on a student visa, after that i got permanent employment offer....

will my student file ( all the information and documents that i have already submitted to INS) be there physically at the time of interview? or will they have it in the computer or only my 485 and 140 file which i just submitted (04/15/2004) together or both?
i only have one alien number.

adnamj said:
thanks alot ZKHAN, last time when i was tehre for EAD , they took my 2 expired EAD (s) and gave me new one. i had appointment at 9.30 dropped the letter for EAD at 9.15, they called everyone but not me , finaly i asked the girl who was calling the names around 12.pm , if they ever gonna call me or not , and told her name , she said shes gonna check my file , after like 30 minutes she calls me and takes my pic , while she was taking pic and finger prints i asked her if she could tell me the status of i 485, she siad it takes 6 to 7 months , i said , wellllllllllll , its been 7 months mam , then she asked me to give her A number and she would look the status , she had me wait , when she came and told me that my file is on the upstore shelves , its not even scheduling , looking at my file situation , and the wait for EAD almost 3 hours put more fuel in the fire. i didnt say a word , but she herself spoke that she will bring my file in shcheduling but it can take upto 4 months , i dont know if u really meant it or she was just saying , but she looked pretty serious and wanted to help .

if that works out , i ill be really lucky .

hope we all get it through sooner

I asked you a couple of questions in my lasr post. Please read my last post and answer them at your first convenience. The reason I am posting this message is because there was alot activity on this thread in the past couple of days and I dont want my questions to be lost in all that.

Hi zkhan,

I was told by one of the people in the forum that your 485 case is transferred to Washington DC district office? When is it transferred and did you receive the interview letter yet? If you didn't receive the appointment letter did you approach any congressman or senator about the process or met immigration officer in dc office to find about the process?

Also the biggest question i have is the processing dates of washington dc office for 485 states that they are processing cases as of receipt date August 28th 2003. My case has been transferred to dc office on 23rd september 2004 and people in this forum are scaring me that i may not be able to get the interview letter atleast for 9 months time frame based on your experiences.

Can you brief about your experience please?

Hi Wonderfulboy,

You said in your previous post that someone from BCIS called you from a local CIS office before you case was transferred? That probably means they already received your files when they called. Do you know why they called you? My case was transferred to Charlotte on 9/21.

Hi,

They called me on 21st september early morning around 10:00am. At that point of time i dont know that my case will be transferred to local office. But its called from local washington dc number.

In August Vermont Service Center sent me a report confirming the address change in reply to my request. Accordingly my online case status has been changed too. I called customer serivce 1-800-375-5283 to confirm that they updated the address change i notified in june 2004 (we moved to a house we bought). In july 2004 when BCIS sent the 2nd FP notifications we didn't receive at new address we went to give 2nd FP based on notifications received by the attorney. After giving FP in the last week of July we did receive the FP notifications from BCIS to new address (repetition). Thats the flash back.

Coming back to the conversation with the represenative. I told him that i received the report and then he said we did receive the 2nd Finger Print report and investigation background report also on August 16th 2004. I asked him what is investigation report mean he explained about it. Then i asked him how much time its going to take for the approval he said it will take the time as of the regular process.

Knowing a hint more about the local transfer case i might have lot of other questions i have with respect to the case

1) Why is it transferred to local office for further processing? Is it because of any complications? Will it further delay the process?

2) How much time does it take for scheduling the interview?

3) What documentation do we need to bring in for the interview?

4) What receipt dates are they processing? Currently the district office processing states August 28th 2003 does it mean (receipt date of actual 485 application or recieved date (in my case it is September 2004)?

Feedback on 485 cases transferred to local office

Finally guys i got confirmation about the transferred 485 applications processing timings. What ever the timings are provided by district offices are only relevant for family based applications that are directly filed in local office. For transferred applications officially there is no date as such. The only way to know the status of the case is to talk to Immigration officer by fixing an appointment through Infopass. I really have no idea how much really congressman or senator can help.

I contacted the senator John Warner's office today morning, the lady who handles the immigration related issues said that we can only inquire with the district office only if we didn't receive any response after 6 months the case is transferred.

My case is transferred to washington dc office on 23rd september, 2004. It can take up to 6 months in the normal course of time for the interview to be scheduled. In some cases it might be in 1 -4 months time also.

All the people whose cases are transferred have to keep their spirit up and wait for the decision/interview letter thats all i can tell guys after researching from last 4-5 days extensively.

what's category are you in cmyk55? did you ever contacted any immigration officer or congressman about your case to find out where they stand and what is the criteria or date they are following to schedule the interview for employed based cases transferred to local office.

Talked to local congressman office about my transfer case

Spoke to congressman Frank wolf's office about the immigration/visa issue related officer for about 30 minutes in detail explaining the case transfer situation of my case. She told after discussing everything that if you don't hear anything about your interview till January 2005 then call me, i will contact their office but not now because your case has been moved to local office last week (23rd september 2004 to washington dc office). They haven't really scheduled any interviews in this summer. There might be definitely lag. Its too early to call.

Her name is Judy McCary and the name of the officer is 703-709-5800. If any one need this information you guys can use that to call her about your cases.

As I promised to all of you whose case been transferred to Arlington office

today I had my interview conducted, and passport stamped as the final result. I finally can draw a closure for this 27-month-long journey. Honestly and surprisingly, I was extremely calm when I arrived INS office 4 am today. I was reading one of my favorite authors' (Ann Quindlen) bestseller " One True Thing" while I was waiting in the waiting room so concentratedly that when my name was called, I realized that my eyes were full of tears (yeah, the story's very touching and real. :p ) Anyway, here's my detail report to all of you who are still waiting:

I arrived Arlington office way too early (around 4am) for someone who's been scheduled for interview. As we all already knew, that if you don't have interview scheduled, then go get your infopass and show up at the designated time. No need to stand outside of the building overnight anymore. Well, I wasn't so sure and didn't really want to take ANY unnecessary risk.
I was the first one went in at 7:30 3rd floor, while my scheduled interview time was 8:45. Until almost 9:30, I was called in by Officer B, whom I learned by reading this forum is supposed to be a very picky and can-be-difficult officer. Either there are two officer B, or she changed (? :rolleyes: ) the one I had was not like that at all. She's very professional (firm but polite) the whole time, my overall interview last only about 10-15 minutes, and half of the time was: I was looking at her flip through my file, look into computer (their system doesn't work very well this morning, so she had to try and re-try couple times), with no talking. The questions she asked me were very standardized: have you ever had any criminal record, ever attempted to apply permanent residency besides this time, what's the name of your current employer (after I answered, she looked up my file and realized that I've never changed my employer since day one), asked for PP and driver license, and is the address on my driver license is the current one.

Among all the document they requested (were listed on the interview letter), she only asked for employment letter, nothing else. I offered at the end just want to make sure that she's not missing anything :rolleyes: , she said firmly " I don't need them". I was very surprised about this.

When her hand tried to reach one of her desk drawers and when I saw a rather worn-out plastic bag was being pulled out off the drawer, my gut told me "this is where the stamp is kept". Yup, I was right. She stamped the "ugly" stamp :D , and said it serves for one year period, meanwhile within next 6 months I should be expecting to receive the actual card.

and that was it.
Brief overview about my case:

EB3 EAC#022235XXXX
I485 RD 6/02
1 FP 8/02
2 FP 12/03
CASE TRANSFERRED 12/03
3 FP 9/04
I485 AD 9/29/04

I think the thing that might've helped me to push this whole ordeal through at the end was: I bugged congressional office since March this year, I called them pretty much 2-3 times a month. I also visited Arlington office at similar frequency. So basically, whatever feedback I've gotten from congressional office, I will go to INS to confirm the following week. Descripencies happened all the time of course. Then I called again, re-confirmed and went to office again........At the beginning, I was still trying to be polite and "sweet" :p while they were apparently not doing what they were supposed to be doing......later on, I started letting them know that I/we too have temper and limit.

anyway,not sure if all that actually helped , the bottomline is you've got to KEEP TRYING! YOU, cannot get tired of it. Consistency always pays off.

I honestly don't know how I can survive if I didn't find out this forum. It always gives me this warm feeling whenever I sign in. I know somewhere out there, there's always some one(s) can give me his/her helping hand.

I sincerely thank each and every one of you, of course, kudos to the founder Mr. Rajiv Khanna who's been there every step of the way for all of us.

Please let me know if you have any question. I cannot gurantee that I will have all the answers, but will definitely try my best.

very best wishes to all of you!

Last edited by a moderator: