Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Guys
What are you guys talking about? I am not worried about parking ticket. I am worried about gettting a ticket for having expired inspection and been able to pay it (because I may have dropped it off from windshield by accident).

Is your car your inspection up to date now? If so, contact the DMV and ask to see if there was anything on your file indicating a hold for an expired inspection.
In my state (NC), if you have an expired inspection tag the DMV sends you a warning letter after 60 days asking you to get it renewed or else you won't be able to renew license later on (on top of additional fines).

Guys
What are you guys talking about? I am not worried about parking ticket. I am worried about gettting a ticket for having expired inspection and been able to pay it (because I may have dropped it off from windshield by accident).

As I've posted above, if a parking violation was actually issued and you inadvertently lost it, the issuing authority will send you a reminder in the mail. Don't worry about it. If you lost the ticket, they won't forget about it and will most definitely send you a notice of outstanding payment. Simple as that.

(I'm not even sure that it's classified as a traffic violation) tracked by the DMV.

The tracking is dependent on which organization issues the violation notice. Some states (PA / FL) are starting to require the toll agencies to provide DMVs with access to the violation notice software application. This access would then be used to see if there are unpaid toll violations when issuing a registration renewal or driving license renewal.

Also some states have statutes in place that make this a toll violation and they are not specifically moving violations under the traffic statutes. Virginia recently changed their laws and tacked big fines onto their violation process.

Summonses for E-Z Pass violations are issued by the E-Z Pass authority, which is not affiliated with motor vehicle authorities.

All E-ZPass agencies are public agencies and are therefore able to obtain access to DMV records in their own state. Some have agreements set up for other states - Eg Penn Turnpike has agreements in place for NJ and NY plates.

Furthermore, there are discussions in MA to disband the Mass Turnpike and hand over the western portion of the Turnpike to the RMV for operations.

Secondly, they are issued to the vehicle after a camera snaps a photo of its license plate, in the same manner as getting clocked by a speed trap or a red light camera.

This is not correct. The violation notices are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle that is captured by the license plate cameras.

Even if the titled and registered owner of the vehicle was behind the wheel at the time of the violation, there is absolutely no possible way to prove that.

This is also incorrect in some states. The use of front license plate cameras enable toll operators to take images of the front of the vehicle (initially done so that tractor-trailer vehicles could be identified since the tractor license plate on the front is associated with the transporting organization/driver and the trailer license plate on the rear is associated with the transported organization/load being carried). In these images it is possible to distinguish individuals and when compared to DMV records it is possible to provide the driver of the vehicle. Furthermore the images being taken by cameras are HD quality and provide very good resolution.

Traffic violations are not serious violations. Were you convicted for this 'misdemenour' or 'felony'? It is very easy to blow up a mole into a mountain.

The tracking is dependent on which organization issues the violation notice. Some states (PA / FL) are starting to require the toll agencies to provide DMVs with access to the violation notice software application. This access would then be used to see if there are unpaid toll violations when issuing a registration renewal or driving license renewal.

---The E-Z Pass authority does not provide any information to the NYS DMV. I had a toll violation a few months ago. Nothing appeared on my DMV record. I also know several other people who had E-Z Pass violations. None of them appeared on their respective records.

Also some states have statutes in place that make this a toll violation and they are not specifically moving violations under the traffic statutes. Virginia recently changed their laws and tacked big fines onto their violation process.

---NYS/NJ do not have those statutes.

All E-ZPass agencies are public agencies and are therefore able to obtain access to DMV records in their own state. Some have agreements set up for other states - Eg Penn Turnpike has agreements in place for NJ and NY plates.

---Not true. See my comment to the first paragraph.

Furthermore, there are discussions in MA to disband the Mass Turnpike and hand over the western portion of the Turnpike to the RMV for operations.

This is not correct. The violation notices are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle that is captured by the license plate cameras.

---The registered owner is not necessarily the driver of the behicle at the time the photograph is taken.

This is also incorrect in some states. The use of front license plate cameras enable toll operators to take images of the front of the vehicle (initially done so that tractor-trailer vehicles could be identified since the tractor license plate on the front is associated with the transporting organization/driver and the trailer license plate on the rear is associated with the transported organization/load being carried). In these images it is possible to distinguish individuals and when compared to DMV records it is possible to provide the driver of the vehicle. Furthermore the images being taken by cameras are HD quality and provide very good resolution.

---It's also possible to obtain satellite photos. However, I don't remember there ever being a case where a driver's photo was obtained for convictions of traffic/toll/parking, etc. offenses. Theoretically, it's possible. Realistically, I highly doubt that it will ever happen.

See comments in italics.

Proof for paying Speeding ticket?

Hi,

I have two speeding tickets from 2 and 3 years ago and I want to apply for citizenship.

I paid one of them online (I've printed a copy of receipt) and the other one
I went to municipal court and paid to the cashier and got the receipt.

These proof are good or should I get Ticket Paid Certification from the court?

Thanks,
barnold

You don't need proof if the tickets were under $500, and did not involve alcohol or drugs or an arrest. Since you already have some sort of proof, bring it just in case it is requested. Don't bother to get anything from the court unless the interviewer specifically asks for it.

I know there has been ongoing debates about traffic issues mainly because CIS hasn't issued a clear rule about it.

IMHO, you should get a receipt in case the IO asks for one so you would address it right then and there and not have to prolong your oath any longer.

Do not mail the reciepts with the application. Take them with the interview, show it to the IO only if they ask for it. Usually they don't.

I had 3 speeding tickets within last two years,however,I did not keep any records of them.All of them have been paid,and all are under $200.I am thinking to get some copies of receipts or some other documents.How can this be done?I got them in FL,AL and GA.Is there centralized office in each state that can give you records of your tickets?
thanks.

I had 3 speeding tickets within last two years,however,I did not keep any records of them.All of them have been paid,and all are under $200.I am thinking to get some copies of receipts or some other documents.How can this be done?I got them in FL,AL and GA.Is there centralized office in each state that can give you records of your tickets?
thanks.

I have the same question. How can I get "receipts" from Georgia. I hope people are not just saying things that are impossible to obtain. I just wonder how a dmv will send a receipt for a ticket from 4 years ago. I have been calling all numbers but no one seems to know how to do it.

I have the same question. How can I get "receipts" from Georgia. I hope people are not just saying things that are impossible to obtain. I just wonder how a dmv will send a receipt for a ticket from 4 years ago. I have been calling all numbers but no one seems to know how to do it.

Contact the Georgia motor vehicle authority and inquire with them. You may or may not be able to get receipts. For instance, in New York, minor traffic violations are removed from driver records after 3 years. Once a violation has been removed, it's no longer possible to obtain proof of payment/court disposition for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact that Georgia motor vehicle authority and inquire with them. You may or may not be able to get receipts. For instance, in New York, minor traffic violations are removed from driver records after 3 years. Once a violation has been removed, it's no longer possible to obtain proof of payment/court disposition for it.

Vorpal,
when you say "that",what are you referring to?I don't remember where I got it,it must be some county in GA,GL and AL,unfortunately,I do not remember.What is the remedy to this?

Vorpal,
when you say "that",what are you referring to?I don't remember where I got it,it must be some county in GA,GL and AL,unfortunately,I do not remember.What is the remedy to this?

In my personal opinion, the best remedy would be to not disclose those traffic tickets. Since they were all minor, they won't have a negative effect on your application. If you've already listed the tickets on your N-400, I would suggest trying to obtain the records. Regardless of the fact that all of them were under $500 and didn't involve alcohol/drugs or reckless driving, chances are you may still be asked to provide proof of payment. Start by contacting the DMV in each of those states. If they are unable to provide a record of payment, ask them to send you a letter stating that.

In my personal opinion, the best remedy would be to not disclose those traffic tickets. Since they were all minor, they won't have a negative effect on your application. If you've already listed the tickets on your N-400, I would suggest trying to obtain the records. Regardless of the fact that all of them were under $500 and didn't involve alcohol/drugs or reckless driving, chances are you may still be asked to provide proof of payment. Start by contacting the DMV in each of those states. If they are unable to provide a record of payment, ask them to send you a letter stating that.

The thing is,I didn't even disclose them in my application as I was not the one to fill it out.I had someone else to complete it for me and they didn't even mention those so I figured I didn't need to disclose them.As a matter of fact I didn't know traffic tickets were such a big deal until recently,it is ridiculous that USCIS checks your traffic tickets,I don't get it.I understand DUIs and all,but a speeding or red light ticket,give me a break..

The thing is,I didn't even disclose them in my application as I was not the one to fill it out.I had someone else to complete it for me and they didn't even mention those so I figured I didn't need to disclose them.As a matter of fact I didn't know traffic tickets were such a big deal until recently,it is ridiculous that USCIS checks your traffic tickets,I don't get it.I understand DUIs and all,but a speeding or red light ticket,give me a break..

Actually, minor traffic tickets aren't a big deal at all, nor does the USCIS check them. It's just that if you decide to disclose them, be prepared to provide proof of payment. Since you didn't list them on your application, don't bother disclosing them and you'll be fine. Just my 2 cents.