Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Happy One .... in answer to one of your other questions, my understanding (non-legal) is that in the unlikely event that you were turned down, you are allowed to apply again. Also, I think that eedyah is being very pessimistic in suggesting that your permanent residency (Green Card) might be threatened. I do not think this is the case. Good luck with your improved driving !!!!!

I had around 20 tickets in the past 8-9 years, some out of state, some in (A lot are from my storm chasing adventures). Since none of mine were over $500 or DUI related I didn't have to declare any of them. In the interview he asked if I had ever been in court, I just said yep once for a traffic ticket. He just wanted to know if it's was over $500 or a DUI, my answer was nope, and that was it.

I got recomended for my citizenship right there. I did a lot of research on this, and all the immigration laywers state you do not have to mark down any that were under $500 and non-DUI related. I followed all the advice and turns out they were correct. The IO didn't care about my regular traffic fines...

----------------
All the 15 are tickets, and they r in 5 different states.
what if I mentioned the above 15 mentioned tickets, will this will Jeopardize my citizenship.?
thanks

----------------
All the 15 are tickets, and they r in 5 different states.
what if I mentioned the above 15 mentioned tickets, will this will Jeopardize my citizenship.?
thanks

You don't have to mention it if the incident was not alcohol or drug related.
Please see Q 7 under FAQs in the Naturalization Guide.

However, I do recommend you having the incident date, fees paid and outcome in a separate sheet.

My opinion: you'll be fine if you don't mention them. If you do, it's not grounds for denial, but you may be questioned and may have to provide documentation that they were all paid, etc.

My opinion

HappyOne,

I had about 7/8 tickets in the past 10 years and I did not mention them on the app, the IO when reviewing the app. asked me specifically if I had any DUI and I said no, he did not ask me if I had 1 traffic ticket, 10 or 20, he just asked for DUI, I said no and that was it.

If I were you, I would not mention them on the app. and take any documentation you can gather for the tickets and show them only if you are asked to show them.

If you really are worried, spend one hours consultation fee and talk to an immigration attorney than taking decisions i.e. as delaying your application by couple of years based on the advice you get on this forum

Hi,
I have 15 traffic tickets in the last 8 years, , what are my chances to get my citizenship? do I need to have a lawyer?
the ticket fine never exceed the 270$ and all tickets were paid in full.
my driver liscence never suspended.
I am afraid to apply for the citizenship.

Here the above mentioned tickets.
1)speed ticket in 7/99
2)speed ticket in 10/99
3)speed ticket in 6/01
4)speed ticket in 11/01
5)traffic light ticket in 11/01
6)traffic light ticket in 5/02
7) seat belt in 6/05
8)drive with no prove of insurance 6/05 ( my insurance expired 5 days beore getting the ticket and forget to renew it).
9)speed ticket in 8/05
10) drive with expired liscence taps in 8/05
11) speed ticket in 12/05
12) 2 parking tickets by my wife and I found them in my name in 2006
14) seat belt in 9/06
15) speed ticket in 3/07

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the only thing the IO will ask is if you've ever been to court or if you've ever been convicted of a DUI or vehical manslaughter, assault etc. They do not worry about your tickets UNLESS you have other questionable things on your N-400. If you do, then maybe they might ask for proof of those tickets. If your N-400 is straight forward (like mine was), you don't need to worry.

If you are really concerned and the rare chance you get a IO that does question you, all he'll do is just tell you to re-send in the records of payment for those tickets.

I wouldn't waste my time getting those unless they ask for them specifically (which isn't too common to happen). But if you're still not convinced with this, then you can attempt to track down all the tickets in all the juristicions you had them in if you really want to.

As mentioned, many of us have had tickets, even more then you and we all became citizens without any issue...

When I filled out my N-400, for most of the questions with a list (and that say "if you do not have enough room on this list, attach an additional sheet"), I put "See attachment N" in the list and then listed *everything* on the additional sheet.

One advantage of doing this is that you can provide your own formatting. Consider doing something like this, and then formatting the list in a way that de-emphasizes the number of violations.

When I filled out my N-400, for most of the questions with a list (and that say "if you do not have enough room on this list, attach an additional sheet"), I put "See attachment N" in the list and then listed *everything* on the additional sheet.

One advantage of doing this is that you can provide your own formatting. Consider doing something like this, and then formatting the list in a way that de-emphasizes the number of violations.

Hi fly,

what do you mean by formatting the list in a way that de-emphasizes the number of violations?

I don't know, maybe something like this:

• Minor Speeding Tickets - Plead guilty or no contest and paid fine (largest fine = $160 (or something like that)):
    July and October 1999, June and November 2001, August and December 2005, March 2007
  • Traffic Light Violation - Plead guilty or no contest and paid fine:
    November 2001 and May 2002
  • Seat Belt Violation - Plead guilty or no contest and paid fine:
    June 2005 and September 2006
  • Etc
The idea is to make the list seem a little shorter and insignificant.

How do you "forget to renew" your insurance? Then, after getting a ticket for that, forget to renew your license plates two months later?

• Minor Speeding Tickets - Plead guilty or no contest and paid fine (largest fine = $160 (or something like that)):
    July and October 1999, June and November 2001, August and December 2005, March 2007
  • Etc

How do you "forget to renew" your insurance? Then, after getting a ticket for that, forget to renew your license plates two months later?

---------------------------------------------------------------
for the insurance ticket, the hearing officer put me in a program for 1 year and asked me to not to do this any more (he was so nice because the ticket was issued 5 days right after the insurance 'd expired and he was convinced about the grace period misunderstanding). To be honest I was thinking there was a grace period for the inurance, but I found i was not qualified for this grace period, because I paid the insurance for 6 months in advance. I paid 150 for the insurance ticket and seat belt. ( the officer told me if the period passed the 5 days - like 1 month or so ... he could give me 1000+ fine or more).

---------------------------------------------------------------
for the insurance ticket, the hearing officer put me in a program for 1 year and asked me to not to do this any more (he was so nice because the ticket was issued 5 days right after the insurance 'd expired and he was convinced about the grace period misunderstanding). To be honest I was thinking there was a grace period for the inurance, but I found i was not qualified for this grace period, because I paid the insurance for 6 months in advance. I paid 150 for the insurance ticket and seat belt. ( the officer told me if the period passed the 5 days - like 1 month or so ... he could give me 1000+ fine or more).

What kind of program? Something like that might need to be documented as it goes above and beyond just a simple traffic ticket. You were put into a traffic program so that's a bit more serious there. In this case, he may want to see all the evidence as you clearly have a more complex thing then just simple traffic fines...

• Etc

Happy_one1,

I suggest something like this one (the idea is, again, to make list seem less significant):

• 2 parking tickets by my wife;
  • 3 parking tickets of my mother-in-law;
  • 6 traffic tickets received by my Grandma in the course of her lifetime;
  • Oh, yes, 7 speeding tickets by the friends of my lovely teenage son.
  • In 2006 I found out that all of them were on my name.
  • Minor Seat Belt Violations - I was wearing 3 (three) seat belts instead of required one for the safety purposes.
  • Traffic Light Violation - failed to start moving on the green light, being preoccupied with worries of getting the next speeding ticket.
  • Miscellaneous.

But, seriously, instead of making you pay for so long for all these offenses, they should've start by putting you on bike (with optional training wheels) for 2-3 months. Admit it, that would save you so much trouble with your naturalization process.
:)

I realize I'm taking a big risk of reopening the never-ending "declare or not declare traffic citations" debate, however I do feel I should point out that the *current* N-400 form requires you to LIST all citations, but only provide DOCUMENTATION for those with fines over $500 or involving drugs/alcohol. This is somewhat different from earlier forms where the applicant was not required to list minor citations.

Now, getting down to the heart of the issue, most IO's really don't care whether you have citations or not, just so long as they are not DUI etc. With that in mind, you could well get away with saying nothing, but there is a slight risk of a later discovery causing more problems than if you were upfront and totally honest to begin with.

I probably don't need to say this, but the significant factor with this case is the pattern of scofflaw behavior which USCIS may well view in a rather negative light. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but please let me know in advance if you'll be driving around my neighborhood... :D

dude...

..except for driving with your feet on the steering (with hands out the window), you have won every ticket possible.
Btw, don't they suspend a license after 3 hits in 1 yr ? You seem to have done everything possible to get on TV :cool:
Anyhow, seriously speaking, don't mention those violations. get your citizenship,....and drive safely to your interview, good luck.

PS: I wonder what insurance payments you make, have to be bigger than my mortgage :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a follow up posting on this thread.

We went and applied for police clearance certificate from the sheriff county office. We got the clearance certificate within a week mailed to our address.

Took a info pass appoinment last friday and gave the original police clearance certificate. Officer immediately handed it over to the IO. We got the oath letter within couple of days. Now she is scheduled for the oath on May 25 th 2007.

Hope this helps for someone who has similar concern.

Traffic tickets - how far to go back?

How far back should I report (if at all) about traffic tickets? 5 years or more since I have been in usa and started to drive?
AND
From where do I get the Traffic Ticket Record As my memory is now hazy and I have little recollection. I know I got all my tickets in one state but some tickets in couple of different cities.
PLEASE HELP.
Thanks in advance.

You should definitely be prepared to submit anything within the last 5 years. I mentioned the ones I got more than 10 years ago and waiting to hear if that's the reason for missing evidence (I can't even get any documentation as those states don't keep record as far back as that).

Here is an excerpt from N400: "16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?"

It says EVER. You decide how far back you should go.