Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

In Texas, your "driving history" has a list of your fines (and other events like defensive driving classes). At the bottom there is a not saying something like "record is clean".

I brought that - but, I was never asked.

Thanks for you responses. Just to clarify its a non-DUI speeding ticket and her first one.

Secondstage, Looks like in CA we cannot pay the fine without the ticket on the system.

Here is what we are planning to do.

My wife went to the court and got a letter saying that she attempted to pay the fine. This kind of proves her "due diligence" that she attempted to pay the fine.

She would disclose about the recent ticket in the interview, say she will pay the fine after it comes up on the system and show the letter to prove the attempt made already. IO may consider this and could approve the application. Worst case if it gets delayed we have to live with it. Looks like we don't have any other options..

I'll update the outcome here next week..

Don't sweat this. The IO is not going to care as long as your wife falls into the "normal" category and has no other red flags.

Let us know how it works out. I bet $20 that is is a non issue at the interview. Any takers?

:)

DR_Z

Massachusetts is the same as New York City. Instead of a Traffic court you pay your fines to a Traffic Violations Bureau so there are no ceritifed dispositions. I'd suggest that you try to at least get a computer generated document from the registry instead of a drivers abstract. If they took your money that should have some record of it. My ticket was from June 2000 and I got the record in Feb of this year.

Hello,

I need advice on the issue of traffic tickets. I have two (2) that I have listed on my N-400. In Massachusetts, we pay fines directly to the Registry on motor vehicles and not to a court where the ticket was issued.

The issue is that one ticket is 6.5 years old and another one 4.5 years. I ordered my driving history and all it shows is the violations. It doesn't show any resolution to the fines. Please let me know what documents should I get to prove satisfactory resolution. The only proof I would be able to get is a copy of cancelled checks from my bank (fortunately the records are kept for 7 yrs). Would that be enough? If not, what else should I get and how?

Thanks,
WAITmore
Try what both Flydog and CTZEN2B recommend:

1. Get a certified official copy of your Driving Record. It will cost a few dollars. This should state all your tickets and the amount. This along with the cancelled checks is good evidence.

2. Call the place where the ticket was paid and ask for a screen print. This may not work but at least you tried.

As long as the tickets are below $500.00 and NOT DUI/DWI related you should be fine.

Traffic Accidents?

Do we have to mention the traffic accidents? What if the there no police involved, i.e, the other party and I exchanged the insurance info? What if the police gave a accident report?

I do not recall a question on N-400, asking if you were involved in a car accident. Did the police officer give you a citation (ie. was it your fault)? If no citation was issued, than there is nothing to report.

My personal opinion is that people on this forum tend to get extremely excited about routine traffic tickets anyways. Unless you do not drive at all, the laws of probability are that you will get a traffic ticket and will be involved in an accident. The last thing anyone at USCIS wants to do is to sort out traffic tickets. They have complex administrative issues to deal with (name checks, law suits, to name a few) and traffic tickets are peanuts relative to those problems. I do not think it is any IO's great desire to hold case back due to a traffic ticket and then get back to it in a month. They want to move on with their jobs as well.

I do not recall a question on N-400, asking if you were involved in a car accident. Did the police officer give you a citation (ie. was it your fault)? If no citation was issued, than there is nothing to report.

My personal opinion is that people on this forum tend to get extremely excited about routine traffic tickets anyways. Unless you do not drive at all, the laws of probability are that you will get a traffic ticket and will be involved in an accident. The last thing anyone at USCIS wants to do is to sort out traffic tickets. They have complex administrative issues to deal with (name checks, law suits, to name a few) and traffic tickets are peanuts relative to those problems. I do not think it is any IO's great desire to hold case back due to a traffic ticket and then get back to it in a month. They want to move on with their jobs as well.

Very well said.... right on.

My wife went for Interview today. She mentioned about the traffic ticket to IO and said that she will pay fine and take safe driving class. IO has told that its not a concern and has recommended her to take the driving class and pay fine.

Everything went on fine, except her finger print has not cleared, So she was asked to get police clearance certificate from the places she lived for the past 5 years.

Not that it matters to me (I'm a USC now), but...

Thanks for updating the thread with the eventual outcome. Not enough folks do that!

I have had 3 speeding tickets so far, but didn't mention in my N400 as they have mentioned it in guide that if the ticket is less than 500 and not a DUI, it shud be ok. i was planning to get my driving record from dmv as i dont have the ticket receipts to the interview. What else can i do to correct this mistake.
thanks

Please get your driving record from DMV if you have traffic tickets even if they are less then $500. I got a N-14 on interview and asked to get my driving records just for a $100 speeding ticket...can you believe this. I had lost the receipt. Now I am waiting for my OATH notice, if I had the driving record on my interview day, I would have got my OATH notice that day itself.

I Have 15 Traffic tickets (my chances to get the citizenship)

Hi,
I have 15 traffic tickets in the last 8 years, , what are my chances to get my citizenship? do I need to have a lawyer?
the ticket fine never exceed the 270$ and all tickets were paid in full.
my driver liscence never suspended.
I am afraid to apply for the citizenship.

Here the above mentioned tickets.
1)speed ticket in 7/99
2)speed ticket in 10/99
3)speed ticket in 6/01
4)speed ticket in 11/01
5)traffic light ticket in 11/01
6)traffic light ticket in 5/02
7) seat belt in 6/05
8)drive with no prove of insurance 6/05 ( my insurance expired 5 days beore getting the ticket and forget to renew it).
9)speed ticket in 8/05
10) drive with expired liscence taps in 8/05
11) speed ticket in 12/05
12) 2 parking tickets by my wife and I found them in my name in 2006
14) seat belt in 9/06
15) speed ticket in 3/07

You really do appear to have a lot of tickets in a relatively short timeframe, however I don't think you need to be "afraid" to apply for citizenship - USCIS are unlikely to deport you for those kinds of offenses, however they could well decline to naturalize you for a couple more years until you demonstrate more regard for the law.

If I were you, I'd slow down, watch where you park, and definitely avoid driving with expired tags or insurance! Oh yeah... and start collecting evidence that you paid all those fines, 'cos you're going to need it when you do decide to apply for natz.

The parking tickets don't count even tho' that does not decrease the total by much !!!

You might consider derferring application for a couple of years as long as you stay CLEAN during this time. It might also help if you have a very good civic record in other areas (examples: voluntary work, school/church/community activity etc.). Its "moral character" that they are looking at.

I agree with boatbod that you do not need to be afraid. The worst that could happen would be a denial of your application.

You really do appear to have a lot of tickets in a relatively short timeframe, however I don't think you need to be "afraid" to apply for citizenship - USCIS are unlikely to deport you for those kinds of offenses, however they could well decline to naturalize you for a couple more years until you demonstrate more regard for the law.

If I were you, I'd slow down, watch where you park, and definitely avoid driving with expired tags or insurance! Oh yeah... and start collecting evidence that you paid all those fines, 'cos you're going to need it when you do decide to apply for natz.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I am eligable to apply for the citizenship, and never been in trouble before but these traffic tickets.
what If I applied and declined my application because of these traffic things, does that mean that will be the end of it and I can not apply for the Natz again?
does it really help if I 'd contact a lawyer?
I know it s my mistake and really I was not thinking ahead. and really I am so upset because of this delima....(really ..waht goes around comes around)

With that driving record you should be "Unhappy One1"! What is your major malfunction? I haven't had a ticket in 20 years. The hastle and expense of that kind of driving record should be enough to get you to change your ways! Frankly, if you keep it up you'll have neither citizenship nor a drivers license! And the loss of the green card may be next!! I believe your apparent total disregard for the law will not sit well with the BCIS officials. They are not casual observers, their job is to ferret out problems and you may look like a problem to them.

Hi,
I have 15 traffic tickets in the last 8 years, , what are my chances to get my citizenship? do I need to have a lawyer?
the ticket fine never exceed the 270$ and all tickets were paid in full.
my driver liscence never suspended.
I am afraid to apply for the citizenship.

Here the above mentioned tickets.
1)speed ticket in 7/99
2)speed ticket in 10/99
3)speed ticket in 6/01
4)speed ticket in 11/01
5)traffic light ticket in 11/01
6)traffic light ticket in 5/02
7) seat belt in 6/05
8)drive with no prove of insurance 6/05 ( my insurance expired 5 days beore getting the ticket and forget to renew it).
9)speed ticket in 8/05
10) drive with expired liscence taps in 8/05
11) speed ticket in 12/05
12) 2 parking tickets by my wife and I found them in my name in 2006
14) seat belt in 9/06
15) speed ticket in 3/07
Assuming none of the tickets were DUI related and you were not arrested you are somewhat ok to apply. You can do one of the following:

1. Apply after a couple of years with a better driving record.
2. Apply now and explain during the interview.

Assuming none of the tickets were DUI related and you were not arrested you are somewhat ok to apply. You can do one of the following:

1. Apply after a couple of years with a better driving record.
2. Apply now and explain during the interview.

Thanks

I had around 20 tickets in the past 8-9 years, some out of state, some in (A lot are from my storm chasing adventures). Since none of mine were over $500 or DUI related I didn't have to declare any of them. In the interview he asked if I had ever been in court, I just said yep once for a traffic ticket. He just wanted to know if it's was over $500 or a DUI, my answer was nope, and that was it.

I got recomended for my citizenship right there. I did a lot of research on this, and all the immigration laywers state you do not have to mark down any that were under $500 and non-DUI related. I followed all the advice and turns out they were correct. The IO didn't care about my regular traffic fines...

Last edited by a moderator: