Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Simple thing:
You mention all tickets, but technically do not need paperwork if they are under $500.
But - how you will show that they are under $500? Then, you still need the paperwork - to show that they are under...or maybe some kind of state rules that the max penalty for this particular violation is under 500 - maybe easier to have proof of payment then..
Kind of circle: you do NOT need paperwork, but to show that you do not need it - you DO need it...

My interviewing officer actually changed my response from "Yes" to a "No" for my solitary ticket (passenger seat belt) when he found out it was not a DUI/DWI

Proof of payment for traffic ticket

Hi,
I went to the DMV to get a record of traffic tickets I have received in the past 3 years. Only 1 record showed up indicating that I have paid for the one ticket I got - For this, I also have the original ticket and the returned check of payment that I made. Do I still need to go to some court and get a proof of payment? If so what court do I go to ? I got this ticket in Queens, New York for a wrong turn at an intersection. I don't remember any other tickets I may have gotten in the past 5 years - what do I do about that? Also note that I did not put any ticket information down in my N400 form - since I wasn't sure.

Please advice !

Thanks in advance.

municipal court

Hi,

You can go to or write to court administrator to the court under whose jurisdiction you got the ticket. write full details of incident and tell them you need "transcript of docket". I think you need to pay $10 to get a copy.
Most courts will give ..I got one for my ticket 8 yrs ago.

Regards

The list of documents included with the interview letter does not mention getting all of these things ... why are so many people getting all these items not mentioned - do people get asked for them during the interview (specific incidents) or it is just playing safe?

The list of documents included with the interview letter does not mention getting all of these things ... why are so many people getting all these items not mentioned - do people get asked for them during the interview (specific incidents) or it is just playing safe?

Even though its not asked in the ILs, people are doing this to play safe during the Interview. 90% of the time it is not an issue, on the question of citations some interview officers ask whether the traffic tickets were < $500 and not DUI related and move on, about 5% do want to see the proof if the tickets have been paid and some even keep the original documents on the file.

The real issue comes only when there have been 'pending' traffic tickets and have not been paid, the officers have always delayed the decision on those cases as they ask for additional documents (proof for paid tickets) before approving the case, delaying the N-400 in the process...

Traffic Ticket after sending N400

My wife recently got a traffic ticket, this happened after we sent N-400 application. Naturalization Interview has been scheduled for next week. Traffic ticket Citation date has been setup after the Interview.

We were thinking of contesting the ticket. We were also thinking to amend the application and include the recent traffic ticket and report it during the Interview. But wondering what we should report on the "OutCome Of the Disposition" Column in the table.

If we pay the fine now (before Interview), She can claim that its dismissed when goes for Interview.

If we wait to Contest, We may have to leave this column open during Interivew.

What would be the best option and consequence, Please share your opinion.

/Thanks

They won't approve your wife's case if ticket isn't taken care of before interview. You cannot have anything pending.

Interviewing officer will delay the case until your traffic ticket case is finalized.

Personally, I would just pay for the ticket as soon as possible and take some sort of proof to the interview incase asked for.

+1 on supercomp's answer. Pay the ticket and get a clear receipt that it is paid. Bring a copy of the ticket and the receipt to the interview.

Can somebody explain how the IO would know that a traffic ticket is pending? I know that you are not supposed to lie - and I am not suggesting that one lie. My only point is that if the IO does not bring up "Traffic tickets" (which he very likely won't) and if the interview does not disclose it - would the interview not proceed normally? Seems weird that a process as important as natz would get halted because of a pending traffic violation. Thoughts?

why take chances

Hi,

The IO may or may not ask but why take chances. If it is not expensive fine just pay and get the disposition. just my opninion.

Regards

Can somebody explain how the IO would know that a traffic ticket is pending? I know that you are not supposed to lie - and I am not suggesting that one lie. My only point is that if the IO does not bring up "Traffic tickets" (which he very likely won't) and if the interview does not disclose it - would the interview not proceed normally? Seems weird that a process as important as natz would get halted because of a pending traffic violation. Thoughts?

During the interview, the IO typically steps through the application section by section asking if everything is correct. So what is your wife going to say when asked about citations? Its one thing not mentioning offenses that happened years ago, but quite another omitting something so recent.

You have two choices - pay the fine now or potentially face several months delay to her natz.

Thanks Everyone, Based on you suggestion we decided to pay the fine and called the court, It seems the Ticket is not in the court record yet and it will take another 3/4 weeks to show up.

Does the “citation date” refer to the date which it shows up on the Court system OR is it when the officer hands the ticket over to the driver.

1) Can she says that there is no citation till date in the interview, since its not in the court record. If Oath happens immediately after the Interview, We may be lucky and never have to disclose it.
2) What if the oath is setup after a month, in that case its possible that the traffic ticket has to be disclosed during the oath Interview, Are there any consequences in having it disclosed it during that time?

Please help.

Pay Up

If we pay the fine now (before Interview), She can claim that its dismissed when goes for Interview.

Am in the same boat...I decided to pay up even though going thro' driving school will reduce the points accrued but I figured why take chances..

Contesting ticket can take several months depending on the clerk's office.

In the "OutCome Of the Disposition", you would simply say Paid fine/Cost.

As proof of payment; keep the payment receipt handy...

Thanks Everyone, Based on you suggestion we decided to pay the fine and called the court, It seems the Ticket is not in the court record yet and it will take another 3/4 weeks to show up.

Just goto the clerk's court office in person and they'll write you a MEMO...you don't have to be in the system to pay a fine..
I just did that...

If an immigrant is caught on tape saying "I'm an American", even if immitating a friend or a colleage, and that tape gets to his/her adjudicating officer, that immigrant's N-400 can be denied based on that alone!!!

Seems weird that a process as important as natz would get halted because of a pending traffic violation. Thoughts?

My wife had this exact thing happen. She got a traffic ticket after the N400 was submitted. The ticket was a speeding ticket. There was no way that she was going to pay this and also get the points on her license given that she planned to go before the traffic court judge and argue her case.

During the interview whent he IO reviewed her other traffic offenses that were delcared on the N400 she told the IO about the new ticket she got. She told her that she was not speeding and that she had sent the ticket back and request a court date. She said that if the court found her guilty that she would pay the ticket. Given that my wife's situation is "normal" ie she is a law abiding citizen and not a person with a troubled criminal past the IO said that was fine as long as my wife was going to take care of it based on the outcome at traffic court. After all my wife is under oath during the interview with the IO. The IO has to take that as the truth.

I think this would hold true for a minor traffic infracation but probably not for a DUI or more serious offense.

Therefore I would do nothing other then bring a copy of the ticket to the interview and tell them the same sort of story as above. (assuming that you are going to traffic court and will pay the ticket if found guilty).

DR_Z

DR_Z, I agree in principle, but your wife was lucky to have an understanding IO. They have discretionary authority to approve the case irrespective of the court outcome, but typically at the interview stage, many IO's will choose to wait for the case to be completed. Interestingly, by the time you get to oath, you can get a (non DUI) ticket and have almost no trouble.

Boston traffic tickets - Need advice

Hello,

I need advice on the issue of traffic tickets. I have two (2) that I have listed on my N-400. In Massachusetts, we pay fines directly to the Registry on motor vehicles and not to a court where the ticket was issued.

The issue is that one ticket is 6.5 years old and another one 4.5 years. I ordered my driving history and all it shows is the violations. It doesn't show any resolution to the fines. Please let me know what documents should I get to prove satisfactory resolution. The only proof I would be able to get is a copy of cancelled checks from my bank (fortunately the records are kept for 7 yrs). Would that be enough? If not, what else should I get and how?

Thanks,
WAITmore