Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

RogerKint, I am glad it is unambiguous to you but for a vast majority of the people this is confusing and infact USCIS has changed the app., in the previous version of the app., it specifically said minor traffic violations need not be mentioned but looks like they changed the mind since people were not mentioning DUI. If you take the instructions literally, you have to mention your AAA, COSTCO, SAMS Club memberships as well, I am reasonably certain that 90% of the people do not put those on the app, is it unambiguous in the instructions? I am not sure.

In addition, it is not about the money of getting the court dispositions, I have called 4 different courts in California to get court dispositions and none of them were able to locate the fact that I ever got a ticket and how am I supposed to get the court disposition(s) when the courts themselves do not have record of it? I actually see the tickets on my driving record but the courts do not have a record of them, sounds crazy but that is how the system works.

I am wondering if anyone asked an IO about the necessity to mention them on the app, maybe one of you guys that put them on the app. and who have court dispositions on hand can ask the IO and see what they say. I am not going to ask the IO unless the topic is raised by the IO.

Last edited by a moderator:
RogerKint, I am glad it is unambiguous to you but for a vast majority of the people this is confusing...<snip>

Quite possibly I think thats because people want it to be ambiguous so they can forget all about mentioning tickets, and have an easy-out if asked during interview. At the end of the day you have to do whatever makes you comfortable, but then, no whining if you get caught out ;)

Why is it an easy-out if asked during the interview and you have not mentioned it? ok, I think I have said what I need to say and I am not going to whine or continue on this topic and keep the forum posted on my interview exp.

Quite possibly I think thats because people want it to be ambiguous so they can forget all about mentioning tickets, and have an easy-out if asked during interview. At the end of the day you have to do whatever makes you comfortable, but then, no whining if you get caught out ;)

Since he stated: Result: The interviewer has asked me for a Court Disposition Order for all the tickets.

I would think that it had to have come up. Most logically the standard question the Interview Officer asks being "Have you ever been to court for any reason?". And because his traffic violations had to go to court, that's most likely how it got brought out.

If it was the traffic tickets, most people nowdays don't go to court for them, so it was most likely the same question I was asked, being "Have I ever been in court for any reaons?"...

RogerKint, I am glad it is unambiguous to you but for a vast majority of the people this is confusing and infact USCIS has changed the app., in the previous version of the app., it specifically said minor traffic violations need not be mentioned but looks like they changed the mind since people were not mentioning DUI. If you take the instructions literally, you have to mention your AAA, COSTCO, SAMS Club memberships as well, I am reasonably certain that 90% of the people do not put those on the app, is it unambiguous in the instructions? I am not sure.

In addition, it is not about the money of getting the court dispositions, I have called 4 different courts in California to get court dispositions and none of them were able to locate the fact that I ever got a ticket and how am I supposed to get the court disposition(s) when the courts themselves do not have record of it? I actually see the tickets on my driving record but the courts do not have a record of them, sounds crazy but that is how the system works.

I am wondering if anyone asked an IO about the necessity to mention them on the app, maybe one of you guys that put them on the app. and who have court dispositions on hand can ask the IO and see what they say. I am not going to ask the IO unless the topic is raised by the IO.

Re the N-400, if the question is what is the right thing to do - the answer is unambiguous. If the question is what is the expedient thing to do - easy and not very likely to get into trouble - answer may be different. Ultimately, it is up to the person who swears to the truth of their application who has to be comfortable with it.

You have to report tickets and you don't have to have documentation for tickets less than $500. I listed my tickets and I did not have any documentation nor was I asked for it. If the IO still asks you for documentation, you can always tell them that here is what I got - and it is impossible to get documentation on my ticket from 10 yrs ago.

When I first came to the US as a student, there was no 1040 EZ NR form. The re was a tax treaty with India that let Indian students use the standard deduction even though they were NR. I filed the NR form - used the standard deduction and attached the tax treaty photocopy to prove it. I know plenty of people who just filed the EZ form reasoning that they were entitled to the standard deduction and were doing nothing illegal. . However, filing that form was not the right thing to do - it was easier, it had no tax consequence, and nobody got into trouble for it. Same as if you claimed a $200 charitable deduction on your itemized deductions with no backup for it - unless you are audited, it is fine.

As I stated before - everyone is free to do whatever they want. There may be practical reasons where reporting tickets may cause trouble. That does not detract from the fact that reporting them truthfully on the form is what you are instructed to do and is the right thing to do.

Interview And Speeding ticket! Help

My Interview is on April 10th. I got a speeding ticket for speeding in excess 15-19MPH in Residential zone 25mph. My court date is Aprl 22nd. What do I need to do? How will it impact my interview. How do I approach my interview.

I'm thinking of taking the traffic violation ticket to the interview. This is my first traffic ticket in U.S.

Just because you got a ticket doesnt mean you're guilty. If you have court date April 22nd and your interview is 10th, how can that be an issue?

Also there can't be that many poeple without a traffic violation who go for citizenship interview. I dont beleive it to be a major problem.

Yes, it can be a problem

If there are any pending cases against you (including traffic citations), the IO will not and cannot make a decision until you show the disposition record for the ticket, lot of times even if you are asked to appear in the court, if you call the court they will let you know what the fine is and you can pay it and close the case.

There was a case in here that someone posted where they had to pay the fine and show the disposition to the IO before a decision can be made. I had my interview last week and the IO specifically asked if I have any traffic tickets that are pending.

My Interview is on April 10th. I got a speeding ticket for speeding in excess 15-19MPH in Residential zone 25mph. My court date is Aprl 22nd. What do I need to do? How will it impact my interview. How do I approach my interview.

I'm thinking of taking the traffic violation ticket to the interview. This is my first traffic ticket in U.S.

Yup, thats correct. You'll need to provide court disposition before USCIS will allow your case to proceed. Bring the court date forward if you can!

Do the following:

1. Call up the Court House and explain that you need to pay up the ticket.
2. Go to the Court House and pay the ticket and get proof.
3. Take the proof to the Interview.

It is very important that you settle this BEFORE your interview.

Thankyou for helping me out!

Fortunately, court appearance required is not checked. And I can pay the fine online. I'm thinking of going to the court, pay the ticket and get the court receipt. They have given me date till April 26th. But I'll clear it off today.

Thankyou for helping me out!

Fortunately, court appearance required is not checked. And I can pay the fine online. I'm thinking of going to the court, pay the ticket and get the court receipt. They have given me date till April 26th. But I'll clear it off today.
Yes, that is the best option.

The fine is $105 and 4 points. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to pay more and get rid of the points, in which case the fine may exceed $500.

N400Applier and others have righfully suggested the best course of action to pay the fine right away. Having 'no pending traffic tickets' is a MUST before the Citizenship interview. Everyone has been suggesting you to pay the fine while keeping it below $500.

Points have relevance more for the insurance companies than the naturalization process and I would not worry about the points (not a good idea to pay more).

Traffic Ticket Question

I had filed my N-400 application recently and waiting for the interview. I did not mention in my application about my traffic ticket which I got it in 2000(7 years back), and this is speeding ticket and I paid just fine $110(no points). At the time of filling up my application I came to know that I should mention in my application if the fine amount is $500 or more. Do I need to inform the IO about my traffic ticket at the time of interview? Also, I do not have any receipt now for the fine I paid. Do I need to get any clearance record from the court? If yes, how do I get it from the court or other agency?

Please advise me.

Thanks in advance

Please search this forum for this topic, you will find all your answers. There was a long thread/discussion on this topic a few months back.
Cheers!

I had filed my N-400 application recently and waiting for the interview. I did not mention in my application about my traffic ticket which I got it in 2000(7 years back), and this is speeding ticket and I paid just fine $110(no points). At the time of filling up my application I came to know that I should mention in my application if the fine amount is $500 or more. Do I need to inform the IO about my traffic ticket at the time of interview? Also, I do not have any receipt now for the fine I paid. Do I need to get any clearance record from the court? If yes, how do I get it from the court or other agency?

Please advise me.

Thanks in advance

You don't have to worry about it. Unless you are specifically asked, you don't have to volunteer the information either. In short, USCIS does not really care for small traffic violations. However, in the oath letter, you are specifically asked whether you got any citations (including traffic tickets) since you had your interview.

I would recommend, you take with you the proof of payment of the traffic violation fines, traffic school info, etc., during the interview and provide it only when specifically asked.

Traffic tickets and which question to answer "Yes"

Hello,

I know this is an issue that has been discussed numerous times in this forum, but I have not been able to derive a simple straightforward answer to the following question.

I receieved two traffic tickets about 5 years ago, paid the fine and they are all settled. I also ordered my traffic history report, and it shows that I paid the tickets and everything is clear on that front.

So, to questions in Section D of Part 10 in the N400 form, which of the questions do I mark a "Yes" to? Question 15 or 16 or 18 or some other one?

The traffic history report that I got, has the word 'Convicted" for each of the traffic tickets. So, is getting a speeding ticket a "conviction" even if you paid the fine immediately and did not go to court etc?

I know this may be a basic quesiton and discussed at lenght, but I will appreciate if someone can provide me a direct answer to which question needs to be ansswered with a "Yes" (if at all) and what do we need to mention in the explanation box below the questions.

Thank you.

There is a good answer why there are endless debates re this question. Its because there is no RIGHT answer. Even the lawyers disagree. Each of us has to read the posts, do the internet research and make a decision. Rightly or wrongly, I took the conservative approach and answered yes to Questions 15 (offense but not arrested) and 16 (cited/detained) for my speeding tickets. You have to make your own decision.