Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

Yeah, "EVER" (in caps).

I went back to the dawn of time (I got my driver's license in the mid 1970s and my first ticket sometime at the end of the seventies).

I was pretty non-specific about those tickets (I think I said something like "one speeding ticket in the late seventies, one speeding and one stop sign violation in the 1980s". I also mentioned that the fines were all minor and were all paid in full. I never bothered trying to get any proof about them (not that I'd know how).

Traffic violation, hmmmmm not sure

Please double check with an attorney if any traffic violation other than DUI, hit and run type of violation should be mentioned. Speeding tkts, make an illegal turn aren't the type of violations I would mention in my form N-400. I got two tkts in the last year. In one of the tickets, the judge went ahead and changed my citation to a non moving violation and the other one I took a 4 hr class to get it off of my driving record. I never mentioned those tkts on my form. I have a copy of those tkts which I will take along with me on the day of my interview. I have talked to almost 6 of my friends from different states and non of them suggested that traffic tkts should be mentioned in the form, especially if it's not serious. Besides this my attorney gave me the same advice. I was also very confused about this issue last year when I was filling out of my form but it's now clear in my head.
Good luck.

This is a topic of endless debate. This forum tends to be split into the (1) mention all moving traffic tickets, regardless and the (2) ignore all traffic tickets where fine less than $500 camps. However, I do not remember applicants who ran into huge difficulties either way. I mentioned all those I could remember since I became a PR ...... about half a dozen in over 20 years. Never came up at interview.

Yeah I agree, it's the never ending debate. I had a lot and never mentioned them and never had a problem. They are more concerned with moving violations that are severe in nature (DUI, accidents, hit and runs etc). If you research on the web about this, all the sites (lawyers) I found on this topic suggested that you do not have to put traffic tickets down (when I did my research last year anyways).

So if you're really worried about it and want to go through the trouble locating them all, then up to you to decide how far back to go...

You should definitely be prepared to submit anything within the last 5 years. I mentioned the ones I got more than 10 years ago and waiting to hear if that's the reason for missing evidence (I can't even get any documentation as those states don't keep record as far back as that).

Venu - Did you answer Yes to any of the questions? If so, that may be the reason for missing evidence.

I mentioned No to all questions... but still listed traffic tickets (Both older than 10 years), and do not plan to gather any evidence.

Missing document note on NOA is typically for those that have been asked to be included "with" the application such as divorce certificates, proof child support, DUI or arrest details etc.

How far back should I report (if at all) about traffic tickets? 5 years or more since I have been in usa and started to drive?
AND
From where do I get the Traffic Ticket Record As my memory is now hazy and I have little recollection. I know I got all my tickets in one state but some tickets in couple of different cities.
PLEASE HELP.
Thanks in advance.

From 1993 todate, I had 1 ticket and 2 accident (both not my fault) I did not mention anything in the application. But I got report from DMV which I'm planning to take to the interview just in case they ask.

So do I contact the state's dmv to get my driving record? Will they have record of all my tickets? I don't think I got anything over $500. No dui or hit and run. But yes some accidents and I paid my dues.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had my interview today and i got a $120 speeding ticket..so when officer asked just said i got one..

IS there ANYONE who can Tell me from where and how to a get a record of all the traffic violations I have? Any help is appreciated.

You may contact the State DMV for your Driving Records. Each state has an online form to fill out with some fee.

If you need specific ticket information, you may contact the Town/County Court house (that issued your ticket) for a Docket Transcript. They have records that go back over 10 years and can locate you with name and DOB.

Traffic Ticket Issue @ Interview

I applied for citizenship on Jan. 22, 2007. I had a clear driving record until very close to then. On Jan 17 I was givien a speeding ticket but since the fine was less than 500 I didnt''t put it on my application.

I ended up resolving it in court and brought down the charges to a lesser violation and took care of the tickets. I have even gotten a court disposition for it and also got a record of my NJ driving records.

My question/issue is do I take an updated N400 to my interview addressing the charges? Waht do I say to the interview officer? Should I mention it myself? If I don't will it be like I lied? I am a little worried about this.

The officer would go over the questions again during the interview and you have a chance to tell the officer about the incident. You don't need to worry as lot of folks do this and as long as you carry the disposal receipt you are good to go.

Generally the Dallas officers are very nice and this will not affect your decision.

This really isn't a big deal. Take your court certified disposition to the interview, and if the IO asks about it, you can show proof you paid your fine etc. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother mentioning it, since it doesn't relate to alcohol, drugs or reckless driving.

Not big deal

This is not a big deal as Boatbod told. I have 3 speeding tickets ($317, $244, $244) and one seat belt usage violation ($37) and so many parking tickets. I didn't mention them on N-400, but have collected court certified copies, just in case. I don't bother about parking tickets. Last Friday, I had a $20 parking ticket, paid today by credit card :)

my interview - traffic ticket issue

Here is my citizenship interview experience in Denver.

Interview was scheduled for 12.30, I arrived 30 min earlier but they called me in right about 12.30. The officer was very nice, she made copy of my DL and Green card and then we went back to her office. Main part of the interview was just going over N-400 form and asking me all the information I put in. Name, current and past addresses, name of employer, etc. She asked me for my wife's SSN but I told her I don't know it by heart, just the last 4 digits. Everything went smoothly except when we got to page 10. After asking me all the questions on the form she then specifically asked if I ever got a traffic ticket. To that I replied yes but I told her that the instructions on website say those do not have to be mentioned on application. ("Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license.") Then I said that I did bring proof that I paid my fine just in case. She took the document from me and asked me exactly when did it occur. I said I don't remember the date, just summer 2005. She said that she would have to change my answers on N-400 and put answers for questions 16,17 and 18 as YES. I had to sign that I agree. Now, I don't think this is entirely fair since I wouldn't call traffic ticket an offense and especially since it's clearly stated not to mention it but I really didn't want to argue about it with officer. Then there was another issue with my birthday not being correct on my green card but she said she would take care of it.

After we went over the whole N-400 she had me read a simple sentence and then write one ("She wanted to live near her brother"). After that she pulled printed set of 10 questions, I believe she asked me all of them but I got them all right. (no original 13 states or anything like that, very simple stuff like color of stripes or capital of my state). After that she said she is recommending me for approval and gave me form N-652. I will receive letter oath letter in mail. Whole thing took about 25 minutes and would be quicker if it wasn't for the issue with my birth date. Also, out of the big stack of documents I brought with me she only looked at that traffic fine receipt (which she actually kept with her) and my wife's passport. Nothing else at all...

So overall I am happy I have it behind me but it will probably make things more confusing for people that are unsure about the whole traffic tickets issue....

Congrats!!

Congratulations, another twist to the traffic ticket issue, I saw one or two cases in the forum where they changed the answer from yes to no, and now the no to yes case, USCIS itself being inconsistent also contributes to this "to mention of not to mention" discussion. We can soon assign it a "holy war" status.

Congratulations!
Can you please post your time line?

Regarding the traffic ticket - you have substituted "mention" for "submit documentation" in your posting. No where does it say that you are not required to "mention" on the USCIS web site nor on the application form. Most USCIS officers who run behind time on interviews don't have much time to complete the cases, and typically gloss over it, but this lady obviously was following the letter of the form. I am not at all surprised. Lastly, if you look up the laws of your state, you will find any one not following the law is construed as committing an "offense" which has consequences like a warning or fine (through "citation" by an officer). So technically anyone who receives a traffic fine needs to tick 'yes' to having received a "citation". But most applicants tick no, and most USCIS officers don't make a big deal about it.

Anyway, enjoy now that all of this is behind you!

Here is my citizenship interview experience in Denver.

Interview was scheduled for 12.30, I arrived 30 min earlier but they called me in right about 12.30. The officer was very nice, she made copy of my DL and Green card and then we went back to her office. Main part of the interview was just going over N-400 form and asking me all the information I put in. Name, current and past addresses, name of employer, etc. She asked me for my wife's SSN but I told her I don't know it by heart, just the last 4 digits. Everything went smoothly except when we got to page 10. After asking me all the questions on the form she then specifically asked if I ever got a traffic ticket. To that I replied yes but I told her that the instructions on website say those do not have to be mentioned on application. ("Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver's license.") Then I said that I did bring proof that I paid my fine just in case. She took the document from me and asked me exactly when did it occur. I said I don't remember the date, just summer 2005. She said that she would have to change my answers on N-400 and put answers for questions 16,17 and 18 as YES. I had to sign that I agree. Now, I don't think this is entirely fair since I wouldn't call traffic ticket an offense and especially since it's clearly stated not to mention it but I really didn't want to argue about it with officer. Then there was another issue with my birthday not being correct on my green card but she said she would take care of it.

After we went over the whole N-400 she had me read a simple sentence and then write one ("She wanted to live near her brother"). After that she pulled printed set of 10 questions, I believe she asked me all of them but I got them all right. (no original 13 states or anything like that, very simple stuff like color of stripes or capital of my state). After that she said she is recommending me for approval and gave me form N-652. I will receive letter oath letter in mail. Whole thing took about 25 minutes and would be quicker if it wasn't for the issue with my birth date. Also, out of the big stack of documents I brought with me she only looked at that traffic fine receipt (which she actually kept with her) and my wife's passport. Nothing else at all...

So overall I am happy I have it behind me but it will probably make things more confusing for people that are unsure about the whole traffic tickets issue....

Last edited by a moderator:
You quoted:Also, out of the big stack of documents I brought with me she only looked at that traffic fine receipt (which she actually kept with her) and my wife's passport.

Why did she keep your wife's passport.?Did you apply on marriage based.I have never heard them keeping you spouses passport ?:rolleyes: