Traffic tickets and naturalization (threads merged)

I reported the tickets that I got and "cured" through "defensive driving" school here in Texas. I just put a note in saying that I took the course.

No one agrees on tickets, but, if you are going to report them, you should report all of them

Taking traffic school does not change how you answer the citation questions on N-400, you still got the citation and you are accepting guilty conviction based on you paying the fine and taking the traffic school, the only thing traffic school does is to keep the ticket off your record.

I did not mention my tickets on my app. and when the IO asked about any pending tickets during interview, I said no but mentioned I have some in the past but the IO was not interested in non-DUI tickets.

My advise is if you are going to mention them, be prepared to get all the documentation for the tickets i.e copies, court dispositions etc.

Traffic citation explanation letter

Traffic ticket - no points, paid fee (less than $500.00), no dui, no arrest etc

Any one, please post a sample letter describing traffic citation. That would be very helpful.

Unnecesary. I attached a copy of ticket to the N-400 but am not sure if that was necessary either. I will take the ticket and, driving record to the interview.

get disposition letter from court

Hi,

I dont understand what you mean by letter "describing"...

contact the municipal court under which you got ticket
they issue a transcript of docket after paying $10 fee. It has all the details.

Regards

Hi!

All it means is that you need to write on a separate sheet of paper why you answered Yes to any of the questions. As in my case I provided a very brief explanation for answering yes to questions 15, 16 and 17.

Essentially I wrote:
15. I answered yes because I was pulled over by a State Trooper for speeding.

16. I answered yes because I was cited for speeding and given a speeding ticker for $$$

17. I answered yes because according to the ticket and the trooper I was charged with speeding.

I am providing this original disposition from the court as evidence that this ticker was only for speeding and that it was paid in full.

Additionally, this ticket was not associated with drugs, narcotics, DUI or arrest. I was only give a speeding citation which I promptly paid.

That is what I said and I included an original with my N400.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
-Jedi.Knight

Since 1/2 the people don't even bother with the speeding tickets (even the IO's have mentioned this), it really doesn't matter what you say about it. They probably won't pay much if any attention to the letter. So if you want to report the speeding ticket and take that route, just say got ticket, paid ticket the end...

I don't want to be a smartipants but the directions very specifically say to provide explanations for your yes responses. Additionally, the instructions ask for either originals or copies of documents as evidence of your explanation. Anyway, I agree with warlord in principle but in practice I'd rather be safe then sorry later. I'm early in this process so I am no authority on this subject. I just followed the instructions in the N400 application.

Best Regards,
-Jedi.Knight

I wrote a single line for each ticket that had the date, the nature of the infraction, and something along the lines of "Paid fine of <$150" or "Did 'defensive driving' after pleading no contest".

I don't want to be a smartipants but the directions very specifically say to provide explanations for your yes responses.

I'm not saying just put down "Got ticket, paid ticket" exactly like that, that was just a simple idea. They will want to know if any drugs were involved, how much the ticket was, was there a court date, involunatry man slaughter etc. That's what they're looking for in any tickets. If it was just a regular speeding one, then just say you got a ticket, you were speeding, I paid this amount...

I am having an issue here is that...I received a citation sometime in Dec'2001 and I lost the citation ticket info. At that I time I lived in MN, but still had a WI driving licence. I ordered WI driving records, but, they said it is clear. Called MN DMV office they couldn't locate any records as I had WI licence. I tried calling court where I think I got the ticket, but, no use. Still trying to track that.

Meanwhile, Please let me know:
can i just say :
Got ticket in Dec'01, no drug, paid ticket.

Is that going to work? Do I must have correct ticket info? what happens if I don't get the records by interview time? Is that could be issue for office to grant citizenship.

I appreciate your inputs.

If it's gone then it's gone

I know some people who don't even report this and get citizenship. So my advice if just for me since my ticket was recent and I could infact get the court record.

I am having an issue here is that...I received a citation sometime in Dec'2001 and I lost the citation ticket info. At that I time I lived in MN, but still had a WI driving licence. I ordered WI driving records, but, they said it is clear. Called MN DMV office they couldn't locate any records as I had WI licence. I tried calling court where I think I got the ticket, but, no use. Still trying to track that.

Report this at interview and show the WI driving record as the best documentation you've got. Based on most postings here, the IO does not care if it is a minor traffic infraction and might actually commend you for volunteering information (has happened here). There is a slight chance, depending on IO, that you might be asked for your driving record in other states that you've lived in and hence you might want to consider obtaining those.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only people that seem to have issues with the traffic tickets are ones that have other issues on the their N-400. I haven't seen anyone getting denied yet for not stating a simple traffic ticket. If you research the web, the majority of consensus states not to include routine speeding tickets.

I never put my many down (including 2 that were mandatory court). I was asked if I had gone to court. I said yes, told him for a traffic ticket and all they wanted to know if it was drug/DUI related. Since it wasn't that was it.

If you have other issues on your N-400 then it might be a good idea to mark down your traffic tickets. If you have a straight forward N-400 then the worst case would be they will ask to request additional information which you then can re-submit to them. This will save you the worry and stress and all the hassle trying to track down the ticket information. If they really want it they will ask for it...

citizenship and traffic ticket

Hi,

I apologise if I am asking a question that has been answered many times before.
My husband will be applying for his citizenship next month. Last month we got a $75 traffic ticket for speeding which we paid promptly. Now when he files his application should he mention about the ticket and what is the documentation to proove that the ticket was paid. Also, what other documentation if any, should we have regarding the ticket?

His green card shows date of issue as Nov 15. So should we apply for citizenship on Aug 15?

Thanks for the response.

I had a ticket in Texas, which got cleared thru attending traffic class. But I did mention it in n-400 application. Please note that before going to traffic school you pleaded guilty and paid fine. Your records still exist in court.

Yes , he should mention about his traffic ticket in N-400 form.

It is 90 days before August 15th. not 3 months. I advice it is better if he sends his application sometime last week of August.

I don't have experience with tickets but based on the posts here the safest bet seems to be to mention the ticket (no need to include any proof with the application for a minor speeding ticket) and to carry proof with you to the interview (I don't know if you have any receipt of payment).

As for when to apply the rule is 90 days before you complete 5 years and that works out to August 17 give or take a day. I would say just to be safe wait another week to 10 days and send in your application towards the end of August (best not to cut too close to the 90 day mark).

-KM

Parking Tickets

Hi

I received 2 parking tickets ($35 each) . The streets were marked for street cleaning at that time. I paid the fines on time

Does this come in as a "citation" ? Should I report this ?

thanks

Don't worry. these tickets are against the vehicle not the driver. Only moving violations may need to be reported.

Hope this helps!