San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Infopass Update

. Please let us know what they tell you.

We went for the infopass this morning. Took about an hour from entry to exit. The office said that the file has been put in Q for oath on April 25th (10 days after the interview). Looks like some officers do in ASAP and some do in batches. In any case, the letter was not lost in the email. We are ok waiting for it. She also said that if someone cancels then we might make it for the June ceremony itself. So the wait begins

Thanks for the update. Lost letters might occur once in a blue moon, but in most cases they are not lost, it's just that USCIS is still not writing them ;) I hope you get the letter soon. I thought that the case might have been waiting for supervisor approval or somehting like that.

Just received my IL today for 07/15 (see sig for complete details on my timeline). The letter asks for evidence of selective service. But I did not have to register for it since I became a PR when I was 27. Do I still need to contact them and get a letter?

Just received my IL today for 07/15 (see sig for complete details on my timeline). The letter asks for evidence of selective service. But I did not have to register for it since I became a PR when I was 27. Do I still need to contact them and get a letter?

I was 26.0x years old when I got my PR.
I stated that I didn't register for selective service in my N400.
During interview, I was asked why I answered "No" for selective service.
I said I was 26.0x years old..., he said "OK" and then moved on to the next question.

Can somebody explain this?

My priority date is August 2007. However when I look at my status in USCIS online I see "On October 25, 2007, we received this N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION".

Can somebody please explain why there is this discrepancy?

My priority date is August 2007. However when I look at my status in USCIS online I see "On October 25, 2007, we received this N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION".

What does it say on your NOA?
The online status system is not accurate nor dependable.

If you recall, after the rush to beat the fee hike, it took several months to get a receipt. October 25 is the date the envelope with your application was opened and the check was deposited for cashing. Disregard the date you see online, as it's not your PD. In fact, disregard the online status altogether, as it's not updated for N-400.

Well, I had my finger printing done Mid December. I had been to Infopass appointments. They say it is in Name Check. How to verify this info though? Can I call FBI directly and ask them if they have submitted their report?

Well, I had my finger printing done Mid December. I had been to Infopass appointments. They say it is in Name Check. How to verify this info though? Can I call FBI directly and ask them if they have submitted their report?

How can you verify what info? That your case is stuck in name check as they told you during Infopass appointments?

No, I don't think so. Name check is different from fingerprint results. Fingerprint results you can check by calling the FBI, although this is not very helpful as usually fingerprint results are returned in a couple of days or so and they won't tell you if they found something on you or not, just that they sent the results to USCIS. Name check, as far as I can see cannot be inquired about. Worse comes to worse if the wait becomes too long you can involve senators or president's wife. There is quite a bit of information about strategies for name check.

Good luck, I hope your name check clears up soon.

Yes, but zindagi already says he has found this out with USCIS, that USCIS says the case is stuck on name check. What I think he wants is to see if FBI can tell him whether the name check has been cleared or not, i.e. if FBI has sent the results of name check back to USCIS. This part I am not sure if FBI provides this kind of information.

Regarding "Fingerprint results you can check by calling the FBI" :--> will they tell how many hits I got or when they got the analysis done, etc?

I have called the USCIS several times and they just read out what the online status is saying. How do I get through to the IO?

Yes, but zindagi already says he has found this out with USCIS, that USCIS says the case is stuck on name check. What I think he wants is to see if FBI can tell him whether the name check has been cleared or not, i.e. if FBI has sent the results of name check back to USCIS. This part I am not sure if FBI provides this kind of information.

FBI no longer provides that service (name check clearance inquiry) to the applicants, but once they clear name check they send the results to USICS within 24-48 hours who then update the case. Having USCIS confirm that you aren't stuck in name check implies that the FBI did clear it, whereas having USCIS confirm you are stuck in name check implies FBI did not clear it. I don't see the purpose of checking with the FBI on the status that USCIS could provide anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding "Fingerprint results you can check by calling the FBI" :--> will they tell how many hits I got or when they got the analysis done, etc?

I have called the USCIS several times and they just read out what the online status is saying. How do I get through to the IO?

Call USCIS at 1-800-375-5283, choose option 1(english) 2-6 and tell the customer service person you don't have a receipt number and that it's been more than 30 days since you filed. they will trasnfer you call to an IO. Ask the IO if your case is stuck in name check or not.

Update - I received my interview letter in the mail today. Status as below.

dope4datish

-------------------------
San Jose DO
PD 04/17/07
FP Done 07/31/07
IL Recd 05/31/08
Interview Schedule 07/14/08

interview letter

Hi dope4datish,

Congratulations!!!

Did you schedule info pass, call congressman or do anything else to check your case?

My wife and I applied 5/29/07. I got my interview 2/18, oath in Apr and passport shortly after. But my wife is still waiting for her interview.

thanks.

tb009572

Update - I received my interview letter in the mail today. Status as below.

dope4datish

-------------------------
San Jose DO
PD 04/17/07
FP Done 07/31/07
IL Recd 05/31/08
Interview Schedule 07/14/08

Congrats with IL! Could you check date when was it sent? and where from?