Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Most of the North Carolina posters here are being serviced by the Raleigh DO, so without much feedback from Charlotte users I think it's difficult to determine how they are handling the backlog. Considering that USCIS announced Charlotte processing to be just around 14 months for last summer's applicants, my case processing falls right in line with that timeline eventhough it is now being handled by Raleigh DO.

Bobsmyth,

How did you find out that your case is being handled by Raleigh DO?
When I called USCIS, they are not able to answer my question regarding this.

Thanks,
Newbie001.

Bobsmyth,

How did you find out that your case is being handled by Raleigh DO?
When I called USCIS, they are not able to answer my question regarding this.

Thanks,
Newbie001.

Yes, I finally got confirmation yesterday during Infopass that my interview will be at the Raleigh DO on Aug 28th.
I had mentioned to the IO at Infopass that my case used to be with the Charlotte DO. She said that they are transferring the cases over to the Raleigh DO (for those residing in the Raleigh/Triangle area), but that sometimes they must ask (Charlotte) to do so if it wasn't done automatically. You may want to go for an Infopass and ask them them what DO is handling your case.

Yes, I finally got confirmation yesterday during Infopass that my interview will be at the Raleigh DO on Aug 28th.
I had mentioned to the IO at Infopass that my case used to be with the Charlotte DO. She said that they are transferring the cases over to the Raleigh DO (for those residing in the Raleigh/Triangle area), but that sometimes they must ask (Charlotte) to do so if it wasn't done automatically. You may want to go for an Infopass and ask them them what DO is handling your case.

Till now I didn't bother to know how to do an Infopass. :) How do I do an Infopass? Do I need to pay money for this?

Thanks,
Newbie001.

I just got confirmation that my wife's interview will be held the same day as mine, albeit 20 minutes earlier. Glad they scheduled us together.

Still no ILs. I was told they were sent out June 6th. When my NOA was sent out back in December it took something like 10 days before I actually got it.

I've been noticing a significant slowdown with USPS deliveries. I purchased something online, and the package arrived 4 days after the latest estimated date of arrival. Another package that was sent to me on June 2nd still hasn't been delivered.

I'm sure your ILs are on the way, it's just that it appears that the postal service is taking an example from the USCIS.

I've been noticing a significant slowdown with USPS deliveries. I purchased something online, and the package arrived 4 days after the latest estimated date of arrival. Another package that was sent to me on June 2nd still hasn't been delivered.

I'm sure your ILs are on the way, it's just that it appears that the postal service is taking an example from the USCIS.

My guess is that USCIS has an out of state bulk mailing site from where they send the ILs since if the IL came from the DO itself I should have got it the next day.
On another note, when I had my wife call for the status of her case yesterday the IO placed her on hold, and then came back to confirm her IL date and time.
This confirms that IOs can only tell you what's on file (ie:NOA , FP, IL sent, name check cleared), but can't tell you accurately when it will be adjudicated if they don't have the info in your case.

My guess is that USCIS has an out of state bulk mailing site from where they send the ILs since if the IL came from the DO itself I should have got it the next day.

In most cases, ILs come from the service center. However, I've heard of a couple of instances where the IL came from the DO.

On another note, when I had my wife call for the status of her case yesterday the IO placed her on hold, and then came back to confirm her IL date and time.
This confirms that IOs can only tell you what's on file (ie:NOA , FP, IL sent, name check cleared), but can't tell you accurately when it will be adjudicated if they don't have the info in your case.

Correct. They can only tell you what they see on their monitor.

I spoke too soon; both ILs just arrived today. They were sent from service center , not DO, on June 10th. The notice date on the receipt is June 6th. So once again, what the IOs told us was incorrect (that they were mailed off on June 6th).

I spoke too soon; both ILs just arrived today. They were sent from service center , not DO, on June 10th. The notice date on the receipt is June 6th. So once again, what the IOs told us was incorrect (that they were mailed off on June 6th).

The IO saw June 6th on his/her computer as the date the IL was generated, which explains why he/she said that it was mailed on June 6th. But I digress...congrats on finally getting physical proof of your interviews!

The IO saw June 6th on his/her computer as the date the IL was generated, which explains why he/she said that it was mailed on June 6th. But I digress...congrats on finally getting physical proof of your interviews!

Thanks..you'd think by now the IOs would know that he notice date and mail date are always a few days apart.
Btw, USCIS still uses "Return Service Requested" on their stamp meter, so if my address was not updated in their system it would not have been forwarded to my new address. This despite the fact that the USCIS Ombudsman recommended back in 2005 that they remove that from their stamp, to which the USCIS replied "we are working on it".

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/CISOmbudsman_RR_17_Immigration_Postal_07-29-05.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks..you'd think by now the IOs would know that he notice date and mail date are always a few days apart.
Btw, USCIS still uses "Return Service Requested" on their stamp meter, so if my address was not updated in their system it would not have been forwarded to my new address. This despite the fact that the USCIS Ombudsman recommended back in 2005 that they remove that from their stamp, to which the USCIS replied "we are working on it".

I really don't understand the purpose of having an Ombudsman, when the USCIS blatantly ignores any and all of his suggestions. If they ignore something as simple as a small change to their ostage meter, why WOULDN'T they ignore more serious issues?

I really don't understand the purpose of having an Ombudsman, when the USCIS blatantly ignores any and all of his suggestions. If they ignore something as simple as a small change to their ostage meter, why WOULDN'T they ignore more serious issues?

It's all to document that there is a system in place to offer suggestions for improvement, albeit not enforceable. Kind of like a quality assurance department stating that they find 100 defects in their company's product, but don't take any steps to correct the product.

Friends,

I am waiting on Interview in charlotte. Looks like I may need to move onto
Atlanta or somewhere for new job before end of this month.
what happens if my address gonna change before end of this month?
How it impact my situation? thanx..

N400 sent...09/07/2007
FP done....02/22/08...charlotte, nc

Friends,

I am waiting on Interview in charlotte. Looks like I may need to move onto
Atlanta or somewhere for new job before end of this month.
what happens if my address gonna change before end of this month?
How it impact my situation? thanx..

N400 sent...09/07/2007
FP done....02/22/08...charlotte, nc

You'll need to provide address change and USCIS will schedule you for interview at new DO.

thanx..this process makes more delay? I mean, Address change, directing
file to other DO etc...
For example, If I get new address in Atlanta in 10 days, when can I expect
interview there approximately? thanx..

thanx..this process makes more delay? I mean, Address change, directing
file to other DO etc...
For example, If I get new address in Atlanta in 10 days, when can I expect
interview there approximately? thanx..

That's difficult to predict , although Atlanta does have faster processing than Charlotte so you may actually benefit.