Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Finally oath letter! My Attorney received the Oath Letter yesterday and the Oath is on September 5th.

Its possible that most of those who had completed the interview, might get the opportunity to have a oath done on September 5th. This is because, I think we have just started getting the oath letters just this week and that too for oldest / latest PDs. fbanna, lets hope that yours is in the mail and Bobsmyth might get it at the time of the interview.

N400 PD : 03/27/2008
FP ND : 03/31/2008
FP Taken : 04/16/2008 (Charlotte)
IL ND : 05/01/2008
ID : 06/17/2008 (Raleigh DO)
Oath ND : 08/21/2008
Oath Letter Received : 08/27/2008
Oath Date : 09/05/2008

Finally oath letter! My Attorney received the Oath Letter yesterday and the Oath is on September 5th.

Its possible that most of those who had completed the interview, might get the opportunity to have a oath done on September 5th. This is because, I think we have just started getting the oath letters just this week and that too for oldest / latest PDs. fbanna, lets hope that yours is in the mail and Bobsmyth might get it at the time of the interview.

N400 PD : 03/27/2008
FP ND : 03/31/2008
FP Taken : 04/16/2008 (Charlotte)
IL ND : 05/01/2008
ID : 06/17/2008 (Raleigh DO)
Oath ND : 08/21/2008
Oath Letter Received : 08/27/2008
Oath Date : 09/05/2008

I called Customer Service and was informed that I a request for oath has been submitted for me yesterday. Hopefully, they will be able to sneak me in the 09/05 oath. That is my greatest hope.

My interview experience

I just back home about 90 min ago from my interview this morning and here is my story:

Me and my wife got to Durham DO at 8:50am. Her interview was scheduled for 9:00am, mine for 9:20am. Needless to say no cell phones or food are allowed into the building.The security guard at the front door will sternly remind you of this in a preacher fashion. We got to the second floor where there was an uniformed security agent who took our IL and brought them into the secured IO office space, and we were told to wait until our name was called.
I counted 56 seats in the waiting area, with about 15-20 people already there waiting. While we waited, an IO would come out to call the next person scheduled. At one point an IO came out and handed a deschedule letter to one of the applicants informing him that due to staffing they can't interview him today. That really started me going since we didn't come this far only to be told the day of our interview we were descheduled. Thank God my fears were quickly erased when they called my wife just before 10:00am (1 hr wait). Her IO was a younger blond woman , to the point, all business, no small talk, hardly a smile. My guess is that she is ex military from her looks. About 5 minutes into interview, my wife came out and said that IO wanted copy of marriage certificate. Good thing I had brought one copy just in case. I still don't know why the IO asked for it as it's not a marriage based case and therefore not a part of the required documents. On the other hand ,the IO didn't ask for her passport, just GC and driver's license. The IO asked my wife 6 simple civic questions which she had no problem to answer. The IO then asked her to read a sentence and write one short phrase. She had my wife sign photos in cursive signature. Finally, the IO went to over the remaining questions on application and ticked them off one by one without stopping.For the part about citations, my wife did mention past speeding ticket to which the IO replied "we're only interested with criminal citations". The handed my wife I-652 with congratulations checked off. My wife then asked officer if it would be possible to book her for next week's Sept 5th oath. The IO told her it was full and that she would be booked for October oath instead. My wife's interview took 15 minutes in all.
We waited for about another 20 minutes until my name was called (10:35am, 1hr 15min after scheduled time). My IO took me to his office and asked me to swear to tell the truth to which I said "I do". The IO was a late 40's gentlemen and noted that I was from Canada. He was pleasant, and wanted to know why I wanted to become a US citizen, and that he hadn't heard me say "eh?" yet. He went on to joke about how I'm from Canada and now Canada will see me as a traitor. He talked about Quebec separation and joked how they wouldn't want me back now. He then asked me for my passport, GC and driver's license. He then went straight to the civic question, which I got all correct.

1. Color of stripes on flag?
2. Who can declare war?
3. Where is the Whitehouse?
4. What is capital of North Carolina?
5. Who were enemies during WWII?
6. Minimum voting age in US?

For the answer on question 5, the IO joked "you sure Canada wasn't enemy as well"..to which I responded "no, that will be WWIII". The IO again poked some Canadian humor, and I made reference to the movie Canadian Bacon. It turns out the IO lived in Manitoba for some years, but he didn't get into more details with him about it.
The IO then had me read a simple phrase and write "They came to live in the United States". He then went over remaining questions in applications, and ticked off one by one. He asked be about citations, and arrests to which I replied "no". He never went further into the question about citations, or asked if I ever received speeding tickets. I never declared my speeding tickets on application nor did I obtain evidence that they were payed. My trip to Cuba never came up as well (I did declare it on original application). He reminded me that US doesn't recognize or care about dual citizenship, but that Canadian government does. The IO finally stamped the application, had me sign photos and application form in cursive writing and handed me I-652 with congratulations checked off. I asked him as well about possibility for Sept 5th oath to which he replied it was already full and that they don't find out about possible cancellations until last minute. He then told me I'd be receiving an oath notice in the coming week. I thanked the officer and the interview was over before I knew it. In all my interview was 15 minutes as well. When I got out of the office, the waiting crowd had swelled to about 40 people in the waiting area. The security officer had reminded the applications that due to staffing there is a 1 to 1 1/2 hr waiting time.

As you see there are some minor inconsistencies with the interview process, with different IOs requesting different documents. The interview process was painless, but I can see how it can be intimidating for some whose knowledge of English is fair or to those who are new to this country.

I'm relieved to have put this hurdle behind after waiting so long. Now the waiting begins for the oath letter.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone on this board who have and continue to contribute their experiences, support, and knowledge (eventhough I may not always agree on the advice given). Without you this board wouldn't be half as valuable as it is today. Keep up the great work you've all contributed. And for those still waiting for their interview after many months of frustrations (descheduling) and waiting..hang in there..before you know it your journey will also come to an end.

If anyone has any questions about any part of interview I'd be glad to answer. Don't worry, I will stay continue to contribute to this board. :)

Based on your description of how some people were descheduled in the room, I should be grateful that at least they gave me 6 days notice! :)

It's great that you and fbanna got through against some odds, but can't help feeling a little sad that I missed the bus. :(

Still, the beer will flow mightily when my oath finally does come through in about 8 months (3 months to next IL, 3 months from IL to ID, 2 months from ID to OD). :)

CONGRATULATIONS BOBSMYTH. So, you are Canadian ? :cool:I could never guess it. Can i join the party tonight at your place? ;)

Another fellow backlogger bites the dust!

Congratulations, Bobsmyth. It's good to see that you weren't handed a deschedule letter, like the other interviewee. That's got to be a horrible feeling, getting to the interview, only to be descheduled on site.

Good move keeping mum about the traffic tickets, especially in light of what your wife's IO told her. Hopefully, your IO's prediction was accurate and you'll get your IL in a week. Again, congrats!

You Go bobsmyth & congratulations to you & your wife. I am very happy for you. I will be at the party & I'll bring Vodka ;)

when i read that your wife came out asking you for the marriage certificate my heart dropped. as you know i might be filing for divorce in the near future & I'm kind of separated right now but even though i applied under the eligibility of being a resident for more than 5 years (almost 7 years now). But I imagined myself in that situation & the IO asking me about my marriage certificate and if i tell him i am separated, divorced or in the process of getting divorced that the IO will start asking me why,what, when & reject me or reschedule me or something. I know a lot of people said it wont affect me but I'm still worried :(

You Go bobsmyth & congratulations to you & your wife. I am very happy for you. I will be at the party & I'll bring Vodka ;)

when i read that your wife came out asking you for the marriage certificate my heart dropped. as you know i might be filing for divorce in the near future & I'm kind of separated right now but even though i applied under the eligibility of being a resident for more than 5 years (almost 7 years now). But I imagined myself in that situation & the IO asking me about my marriage certificate and if i tell him i am separated, divorced or in the process of getting divorced that the IO will start asking me why,what, when & reject me or reschedule me or something. I know a lot of people said it wont affect me but I'm still worried :(

Thanks Ramsis ..I wouldn't worry about it since you can always tell the IO you are separated. I think my wife's IO was only trying to be difficult.

Have you obtain permanent residence based on marriage with your wife ? If this is the case, some IO will ask if you are still married, even if you are applying based on 5-year. A friend of mine was in this situation. He was still married and was approved.

Bobsmyth,

congrats! thank you for the detailed breakdown of your interview. I can't believe they descheduled people on the spot! i wonder how they chose who to deschedule? it's a scary thought.

anyways, the one thing you mentioned that I had a question about: you said that they IO reminded you that the US doesn't care about dual citizenship, but Canada does. I had read that Canada does not care, but the US technically does not allow it, but doesn't pursue people who don't give up their previous citizenship. I'm especially curious about this since I'm Canadian too! Could you clarify and/or tell me the source of your info? Thanks!

Another fellow backlogger bites the dust!

Congratulations, Bobsmyth. It's good to see that you weren't handed a deschedule letter, like the other interviewee. That's got to be a horrible feeling, getting to the interview, only to be descheduled on site.

Good move keeping mum about the traffic tickets, especially in light of what your wife's IO told her. Hopefully, your IO's prediction was accurate and you'll get your IL in a week. Again, congrats!

Thanks Vorpal..it does feel great to have the weight (or is it wait) lifted off shoulder.
On another note, for those who passed interview but whose oath will be after October 10 (voter registration deadline in most states) I wonder if there are any consequences of registering to vote before actually taking the oath (like on rockthevote.org). I would think the act of registering to vote before you officially become a citizen is less severe than actually voting before you become a citizen.

Thanks Vorpal..it does feel great to have the weight (or is it wait) lifted off shoulder.
On another note, for those who passed interview but whose oath will be after October 10 (voter registration deadline in most states) I wonder if there are any consequences of registering to vote before actually taking the oath (like on rockthevote.org). I would think the act of registering to vote before you officially become a citizen is less severe than actually voting before you become a citizen.

Phew, I wouldn't try that. I'd hate to be denied citizenship because of something like that.

The good guy's going to win anyway! :)

Bobsmyth,

congrats! thank you for the detailed breakdown of your interview. I can't believe they descheduled people on the spot! i wonder how they chose who to deschedule? it's a scary thought.

anyways, the one thing you mentioned that I had a question about: you said that they IO reminded you that the US doesn't care about dual citizenship, but Canada does. I had read that Canada does not care, but the US technically does not allow it, but doesn't pursue people who don't give up their previous citizenship. I'm especially curious about this since I'm Canadian too! Could you clarify and/or tell me the source of your info? Thanks!

It was more my IO's interpretation of the law and I've even heard from another poster whose Canadian wife was told by IO at interview that she would loose her Canadian citizenship status since dual citizenship is not allowed.(obviously not true).
I rather go by what the US state department rules say instead of what a low ranking IO tells me at the interview.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Bobsmyth, congratulation on passing the interview and thank you for sharing your experience.
I have a few questions.
1) Did the officer read civic questions or were they written?
2) When checking the application form, may you use your own copy or are you supposed to memorize all the information?
3) Is it necessary to bring copies of the documents along with original ones or is it OK just to have the originals and they will do their own copies if necessary?
4) Did you order tax return copies from IRS or bring your own copies?
Thank you.

Technically, registering to vote can be construed as claiming to be a citizen. On the back of the oath letter, there's a checklist with the same moral character questions that are included on the N-400. One of them is "Have you ever claimed to be a U.S. citizen?" This is definitely shaky ground that I'd be afraid to test.

Then again, if you register to vote, but don't actually vote, exactly how big of an issue would it create?