Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Dang, wouldn't you know it - just got the call from my attorney today - I am scheduled for the Sep 5 ceremony!! This is NOT the news I wanted as now I have to either a) reschedule or b) get a passport in one week!!

fbanna79 - where did you here this about getting a passport within 2 days or even hours? I did some research and from what I gathered from the State Dept website found here:

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

even the expedited service requires 2 weeks door to door. Minimum processing time is 5 days once they receive it.

Also, there doesn't appear to be a regional passport center anywhere even close to Raleigh:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html

Please let me know if I am missing anything... I am freaking out as I really don't want to reschedule but my attorney informed me that I must have a US passport to reenter after becoming a citizen.

Thanks in advance!

hyperseer

Welcome to this thread. Someone made an infopass and was told that there may be another ceremony in September and another in October.

The september 5th ceremony seems to be the second naturalization held by the Durham DO after the one held during the opening ceremony.

i had my interview last Friday and was told by IO that oath may be in October.

I am very confident that you will be scheduled for Sept 5 and that your notice will come today or tomorrow. As for the passport, you may be able to get it within 2 days if you go directly to a regional passport center. Peeple were even able to get it within hours.

Dang, wouldn't you know it - just got the call from my attorney today - I am scheduled for the Sep 5 ceremony!! This is NOT the news I wanted as now I have to either a) reschedule or b) get a passport in one week!!

fbanna79 - where did you here this about getting a passport within 2 days or even hours? I did some research and from what I gathered from the State Dept website found here:

even the expedited service requires 2 weeks door to door. Minimum processing time is 5 days once they receive it.

Also, there doesn't appear to be a regional passport center anywhere even close to Raleigh:

Please let me know if I am missing anything... I am freaking out as I really don't want to reschedule but my attorney informed me that I must have a US passport to reenter after becoming a citizen.

Thanks in advance!

hyperseer

There are several third party sites that offer 24hr passport service for a price if a regional passport center is not in your area. It all depends on if you want to obtain one now and travel, or reschedule oath for later and travel now without the added cost of premium processing.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several third party sites that offer 24hr passport service for a price if a regional passport center is not in your area. It all depends on if you want to obtain one now and travel, or reschedule oath for later and travel now without the added cost of premium processing.

Thanks for the reply,

I have seen some of these passport services, but I assumed they were scams - how can they offer such a fast turnaround when they are taking it to the same regional passport center that I would... and they state a minimum of 5 days once they receive the application (and they only guarantee 14 days door to door).

Thanks,

hyperseer

Today i have a receieved a letter from Durham DO that my interview has been descheduled and i am not sure this an error although my interview has been se for OCT 22 in Charlotte DO:confused:

Hyperseer, Congratulations. Its better to get the oath done sooner especially when there is a news staffing issues / sudden changes / descheduling incidences at Durham DO.
What is your PD, When did you receive your oath letter and what is the date on the letter?

Thanks in advance!

hyperseer

Thanks for the reply,

I have seen some of these passport services, but I assumed they were scams - how can they offer such a fast turnaround when they are taking it to the same regional passport center that I would... and they state a minimum of 5 days once they receive the application (and they only guarantee 14 days door to door).

Thanks,

hyperseer

The legitimate third party vendors have direct links with the state department and are authorized to process applications in 24 hrs.
Even the regional passport offices can process a passport in as little as a few hours depending on how busy they are.

Yeh Hyperseer, i dont know your circumstances, but if your trip can wait, you had better take the oath and been done with it.

If you re-schedule, youmay get another ceremony date in 2010.

When you are done with the oath, go to the Passport office (main office) in your state or DC show them you travel ticket, you can get a passport in

1 or 2 hours for extra $$$ (not much)

Thanks for the replies everyone - I did not realize that the Durham processing center was in such turmoil....

I cannot cancel my trip under any circumstances - I will have to find a 3rd party place that can get it done in under a week.

Does anyone have any good recommendations (preferably for one in the Raleigh area so I can hand deliver it instead of mailing it to them).

Thanks all!!

hyperseer

BTW, in case you are interested, here was my timeframe:

1) N400 mailed in May 7,2007
2) Receipt date of May 12,2007 (looks like I got in right before things got crazy)
3) Fingerprinting done in Charlotte in June of 2007
4) Interview in Charlotte June 18,2008
5) Attorney just received notice of ceremony date for Mon Aug 25, not even 3 weeks before the date! Weak!

Thanks in advance!

hyperseer

there was someone in another thread who reported that he was able to get a passport within hours. I cannot remember what thread this was, but i do recall that he went to a regional passport center. i think you have to show your ticket to get ot completed within hours.

If i was you, I will, in no circumstance, miss this ath ceremony. you never know, you can be subject to another fingerprinting and background process if it takes too long to get oath. I wouldn't take this chance.

For less than 300 bucks, you can fly to a city where you can get expedite passport and travel with no fear.

The other problem with not getting oath now is that you never know when the next oath may be. May be in August 2050 :D:D:D.

i am exagerating, but with the increasing number of descheduling and postponing occuring, you never know.

Today i have a receieved a letter from Durham DO that my interview has been descheduled and i am not sure this an error although my interview has been se for OCT 22 in Charlotte DO:confused:

May be some hackers got hold of durham computer systems to deschedule anyone they find ?????

How can Charlotte schedule an interview and Durham cancel it ? I finally don't understand it.

I would make an inforpass (in Charlotte) and request and explanation.

BUUUAAA HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
join the growing descheduled club! you get a freakin' cookie!
:(

I called USCIS Customer Service and spoke to an IO. Still no oath date set for me yet. They said I should call back in 30 days.

It looks like I may not be able to vote this year. If this happen to be the case, is will be a BS.

BUUUAAA HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
join the growing descheduled club! you get a freakin' cookie!
:(

I called USCIS Customer Service and spoke to an IO. Still no oath date set for me yet. They said I should call back in 30 days.

It looks like I may not be able to vote this year. If this happen to be the case, is will be a BS.

That's why I'm not going to bother with those clowns trying to grin my way in tomorrow...

hyperseer,

Check out this thread http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=284308.

Thanks in advance!

hyperseer

Considering that they have one oath in mid September and another the beginning of October, that they send out oath letter two weeks before oath, and that registration deadline for voting is Oct. 10, there still is a chance you will get your oath before then.

Considering that they have one oath in mid September and another the beginning of October, that they send out oath letter two weeks before oath, and that registration deadline for voting is Oct. 10, there still is a chance you will get your oath before then.

InchAllah bobsmyth

i just spoke to an IO and who adviced me to go for interview but he can't guarantee i will make it. In the other hand, he told me 8 days ago they put my name for queue interview which is MATCH the letter"descheduled" i got which is dated Aug, 19. I am just confused why charlotte scheduled the interview and durham cancelled it and both notices came TSC

Any speculations?