Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Well, you never know. unless you have a very tight schedule on that day, I would try. What I saw last friday may occur again and you may be interviewed.

This is a tight week for me and really don't want to waste time on a fool's errand (which is what I suspect it would turn out to be). I see by your projected oath dates that you are not optimistic about getting it done in time to vote. What do you base your projections on?

My wife and I kind of got resigned to the fact that we're not going to vote (and even if we interviewed on Wednesday, we probably still would not have been able to, due to the backlog of oaths), which has taken all the "fizz and pop" out of the whole process. The anticipation, excitement, anxiety, expectation, and nervousness has just fizzled out, like air out of a deflated balloon. Now we see it as a mere formality, like getting a driver's licence. After 16 years, we've come to love this country and have made many good American friends. Citizenship is not going to change that one way or another. Right now the greatest benefit about citizenship is that we'll never ever have to deal with this most dysfunctional of federal agencies again.

SafferJoe,

Have you called the USCIS to ask why your interview was descheduled? It's not necessarily because the DO overbooked interviews and it could be that your file hasn't been transferred to the DO for god knows what reason.

Vorpal, no I haven't called them. Since so many folks at the Durham DO have had their interviews descheduled due to glitches and gremlins, I just assumed I had fallen into the same category.

I see your oath date is on 9/9. Lucky fellow! :D Will you make it in time for your wedding, which I seem to recall was scheduled in September?

Vorpal, no I haven't called them. Since so many folks at the Durham DO have had their interviews descheduled due to glitches and gremlins, I just assumed I had fallen into the same category.

I see your oath date is on 9/9. Lucky fellow! :D Will you make it in time for your wedding, which I seem to recall was scheduled in September?

I've read the reports of mass deschedulings at Durham, but it seems that those primarily affected early August IL recepients whose original appointments were scheduled for October. I have a gut feeling that the descheduling of your interview may have something to do with your file not arriving at the DO in time for your interview. If you find out that this is the case, then you can still attend the interview. If you choose to do that, you can print out a new N-400 and bring it with you. The interview will be conducted based on the new printout, but your application won't be approved until your file arrives at the DO. One advantage of this is the fact that you'll still be covered under 1447(b), should the transfer of your file take more than 120 days. You should call the NCSC and use one of the widely-discussed tricks to get transferred to an IO. If you find out that your file hasn't been transferred, then I strongly suggest attending the interview.

Yeah, you can say that I lucked out. I'm not sure if you read my interview experience, but I was fortunate enough to have a decent IO. At the conclusion of my interview, I asked him if it would be possible for me to get an oath prior to my wedding on 9/13. He was kind enough to arrange a 9/9 oath for me. It's still somewhat difficult to believe that this disastrous journey will be permanently over in 2 weeks.

This is a tight week for me and really don't want to waste time on a fool's errand (which is what I suspect it would turn out to be). I see by your projected oath dates that you are not optimistic about getting it done in time to vote. What do you base your projections on?

My wife and I kind of got resigned to the fact that we're not going to vote (and even if we interviewed on Wednesday, we probably still would not have been able to, due to the backlog of oaths), which has taken all the "fizz and pop" out of the whole process. The anticipation, excitement, anxiety, expectation, and nervousness has just fizzled out, like air out of a deflated balloon. Now we see it as a mere formality, like getting a driver's licence. After 16 years, we've come to love this country and have made many good American friends. Citizenship is not going to change that one way or another. Right now the greatest benefit about citizenship is that we'll never ever have to deal with this most dysfunctional of federal agencies again.

Seems like you already made up your mind not to try to attend Wednesday's interview.

Seems like you already made up your mind not to try to attend Wednesday's interview.

Yes, that's correct. Unfortunately, I have a major deadline for the end of this month, so time is a precious commodity this week. While the interview was still scheduled, I was happy to carve out time to attend it. That has now changed considering the uncertainty about the success of trying to shoe-horn my way in.

It also seems that even I if did interview on Wednesday, I probably would not have had the oath in time to register to vote due to the backlog, so the urgency and excitement of this whole process has just kind of fizzled out.

I've read the reports of mass deschedulings at Durham, but it seems that those primarily affected early August IL recepients whose original appointments were scheduled for October. I have a gut feeling that the descheduling of your interview may have something to do with your file not arriving at the DO in time for your interview. If you find out that this is the case, then you can still attend the interview. If you choose to do that, you can print out a new N-400 and bring it with you. The interview will be conducted based on the new printout, but your application won't be approved until your file arrives at the DO. One advantage of this is the fact that you'll still be covered under 1447(b), should the transfer of your file take more than 120 days. You should call the NCSC and use one of the widely-discussed tricks to get transferred to an IO. If you find out that your file hasn't been transferred, then I strongly suggest attending the interview.

Yeah, you can say that I lucked out. I'm not sure if you read my interview experience, but I was fortunate enough to have a decent IO. At the conclusion of my interview, I asked him if it would be possible for me to get an oath prior to my wedding on 9/13. He was kind enough to arrange a 9/9 oath for me. It's still somewhat difficult to believe that this disastrous journey will be permanently over in 2 weeks.

Wow! That's great news! It's nice to know that they sometimes do that! I'm going to miss your upbeat, entertaining, and often informative posts, Vorpal!

I've read the reports of mass deschedulings at Durham, but it seems that those primarily affected early August IL recepients whose original appointments were scheduled for October. I have a gut feeling that the descheduling of your interview may have something to do with your file not arriving at the DO in time for your interview.

I thought this experience from Murali cleared it up why the descheduling occurred, and it doesn't seem to have to do anything with files not arriving, etc, but rather due to scheduling problems:

Hello,
I had scheduled an infopass today to obtain more information about the scheduling and descheduling of interviews.

The officer was very kind and answered all the questions patiently. She said that the descheduling happened due to understaffing. They are training people to be able to take in more interviews. She also mentioned that there were no problems with name check/FBI check, all those have been cleared with no issues and that is why they sent the first interview letter.

According to her, within the next 90 days of the previous letter, they will send out another IL. When asked about what PD they are processing, she was unable to answer. She reiterated that another interview letter should be coming our ways in 90 days.

Washburn, incase you have anymore updates, please pass along.
Hope we all get ILs before the 90 days.
If at all any solace, within the 10 minutes i was there in the building, I saw like 15 people with interview letters, asked to proceed to second floor. :)
Good luck all.
Murali

Vorpal's response was based on SafferJoe's cancellation was received just 1 week before his interview, and wasn't part of the group of other cancellations received 1 day after the IL was received Aug 5-8.

I thought this experience from Murali cleared it up why the descheduling occurred, and it doesn't seem to have to do anything with files not arriving, etc, but rather due to scheduling problems:

Reread my original post.:)

The scheduling problems seem to have affected those who were scheduled for October interviews, as descheduling letter arrived either on the same day or the day after the IL. SafferJoe's interview has been scheduled since June, and he received his descheduling letter a week before his interview. That's a sure-fire sign that his file may not have arrived at the DO. There have been plenty of reports about similar occurrences throughout other DOs. It's not a very uncommon thing.

Reread my original post.:)

The scheduling problems seem to have affected those who were scheduled for October interviews, as descheduling letter arrived either on the same day or the day after the IL. SafferJoe's interview has been scheduled since June, and he received his descheduling letter a week before his interview. That's a sure-fire sign that his file may not have arrived at the DO. There have been plenty of reports about similar occurrences throughout other DOs. It's not a very uncommon thing.

It doesn't take more than 2 days to send a file within the US. However, the deschedule come a week before, which tells me that this is not a file delivery issue.

Most people I have seen being descheduled due to file not delivered are notified the d-day of their interview. If the file has not arrived 1 week before interview, why can't they overnight it ?

i really don't believe this is the issue. The argument about understaffing may be a valid alibi for USCIS in this case.

It doesn't take more than 2 days to send a file within the US. However, the deschedule come a week before, which tells me that this is not a file delivery issue.

Most people I have seen being descheduled due to file not delivered are notified the d-day of their interview. If the file has not arrived 1 week before interview, why can't they overnight it ?

i really don't believe this is the issue. The argument about understaffing may be a valid alibi for USCIS in this case.

I agree with this argument. It can't be fun seeing what the mailbox has to offer, Bob!

Bobsmyth: Can you please put a closing parenthesis after the "... /Durham DO" in your sig? That's been bothering me for a long time now :D

All the best for your interview later this week!

Lol....very observant about the sig..I corrected it just for you :rolleyes: