Raleigh/Durham NC - N-400 Timeline

Unbilievable.

After reading the threads last night about interviews being cancelled, I checked again my hand written appointment and noticed that it was rather August 22, 2008 and not August 29, 2008. The last digit was somehow confusing, so i had two people look at it and they confirmed it was August 22, 2008. i showed up this morning aroud 08:15 at Durham DO. The security guard had already my name at the entrance, and there was no particular problem. i went to second floor, handed my interview letter to the scurity guard. there was about 6 people waiting for interview. I was the last one to be called. The officer first asked me why my interview was cancelled in June and I explained. He recalled it and was satisfied by my answer. I followed him to his office for interview. He had me swear that i will tell the truth today and I did. He went over my application and marked and asked me questions:

1- Who makes Federal laws in the United States?
2- What do the strip on the flag represent?
3- What are the original 13 states?
4- Who said "Give me liberty or give me death" ?
5- What was the first holiday celebrated by american colonist ?
6- How many time can senators and congressman be reelected ?

He said that he was impressed that I answered the 3rd question with no hesitation and in the correct order.

He had me read a very easy sentence and had me write: "I want to become an american citizen". then, he had me sign my photos and handed me my approval notice. He said I will be receiving my oath notice in the mail. To the question about when and where the oath may be, he responded after looking in his computer that the next available oath is in October, but he cannot tell the exact date.

I walked out, very happy, and still remembering that I was 1 day away from missing my interview because I did not read the date correctly.

i wish all the best to those waiting for interview on this forum. Don't worry, you will make it.

Congratulations fbanna!!
You're so lucky to have rechecked your interview letter date again just last night...that would have been even worse if you only found out about after it was too late.
Did you ask IO anything about staffing issues or anything else that may be useful to others here?

Ever since hearing about safferjoe's interview cancellation letter, going to the mailbox is like playing Russian roulette for me waiting to see if I too will receive a cancellation notice. So far there chambers have been empty, but there's still the possibility of receiving in the next few days. USCIS sure does have a sick sense of humor.

Don't jinx it Bob. But I agree with you. I also have the same feeling when I open the mailbox. :(

Good luck!

Newbie001.

Sorry to hear about all the de-scheduling that's been going on at Durham.

I was at another immigration forum and saw 2 people who sent their N400 to TSC this month (August) and their files have been transferred to NBC for "administrative processing". I'm still waiting for my NOA but I'm curious if anyone has heard of this being a new trend at TSC or these two are isolated cases.

fbanna79
Congratulations.. really nice you were able to the check the IL on time.
All destined to end well. :)
No more thinking of 96 questions. Dream of the oath ceremony now :)
Good luck
murals72

Congratulations fbanna!!
You're so lucky to have rechecked your interview letter date again just last night...that would have been even worse if you only found out about after it was too late.
Did you ask IO anything about staffing issues or anything else that may be useful to others here?

I observed the opposite. There was about 5 to 6 officers today, and about 6 candidates in the lobby including two for naturalization.

One officer came out looking for people to interview, but all candidates in the lobby were already assigned to other officers. He spent about 10 minutes in the lobby, watching the game Brazil-Belgium

it may have been a slow day for them.

My opinion is that they could have interviewed more than the number of people I have seen today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, fbanna!!! Lucky you checked the date again, and that your interview was handwritten, which I guess would have made it too difficult for those clowns to deschedule!

I'm happy for you! If your oath ceremony is in time, please go and vote. I'll be happy that at least one of us got through then!

Ever since hearing about safferjoe's interview cancellation letter, going to the mailbox is like playing Russian roulette for me waiting to see if I too will receive a cancellation notice. So far there chambers have been empty, but there's still the possibility of receiving in the next few days. USCIS sure does have a sick sense of humor.

Bob, I hope you'll have the same luck as fbanna!

Congratulations, fbanna!!! Lucky you checked the date again, and that your interview was handwritten, which I guess would have made it too difficult for those clowns to deschedule!

I'm happy for you! If your oath ceremony is in time, please go and vote. I'll be happy that at least one of us got through then!

I am still praying for the rest of you guys. "We will live together and we will die together". Especially, bobsmyth and you had a very long wait and i will be happy to see you through.

your second interview is probably on the way SafferJoe:cool:

I observed the opposite. There was about 5 to 6 officers today, and about 6 candidates in the lobby including two for naturalization.

One officer came out looking for people to interview, but all candidates in the lobby were already assigned to other officers. He spent about 10 minutes in the lobby, watching the game Brazil-Belgium

it may have been a slow day for them.

My opinion is that they could have interviewed more than the number of people I have seen today.
What you saw just strengthens my view that an applicant could just show up for the interview even if they received a cancellation notice after 2 months of original IL. The fact is that they book interviews by IO and timeslots. For example, if they have 3 IOS on duty that are booked 2 interviews each per hour, that equals out to 6 interviews total per hour for the DO. However, if an applicant's interview only takes 10 minutes (as is the case many times), that leaves the IO with 20 min of spare time (watching Olympics) before the next interview. I don't advocate doing this if you received IL and cancellation 1 day apart, but I don't see anything wrong in trying if you receive cancellation 2 months after original IL and 1 week before IV, have a simple case and already made arrangements with work/daily schedule. Just make sure to have all paperwork ready , including an updated N-400 to make IO's job easier and interview faster. A good candidate to try this would be SafferJoe.:)

Cancellations are based either on staffing or files not making it to DO from SC. I've read in the past examples of applicants showing up anyways for interview and IO was able to interview them. In instances of staffing issue, the wait may be a little longer, and in instances of the case not at DO you can bring copy of your N-400 and IO will consolidate interview results with original file once it makes it to DO.

What you saw just strengthens my view that an applicant could just show up for the interview even if they received a cancellation notice after 2 months of original IL. The fact is that they book interviews by IO and timeslots. For example, if they have 3 IOS on duty that are booked 2 interviews each per hour, that equals out to 6 interviews total per hour for the DO. However, if an applicant's interview only takes 10 minutes (as is the case many times), that leaves the IO with 20 min of spare time (watching Olympics) before the next interview. I don't advocate doing this if you received IL and cancellation 1 day apart, but I don't see anything wrong in trying if you receive cancellation 2 months after original IL and 1 week before IV, have a simple case and already made arrangements with work/daily schedule. Just make sure to have all paperwork ready , including an updated N-400 to make IO's job easier and interview faster. A good candidate to try this would be SafferJoe.:)

Cancellations are based either on staffing or files not making it to DO from SC. I've read in the past examples of applicants showing up anyways for interview and IO was able to interview them. In instances of staffing issue, the wait may be a little longer, and in instances of the case not at DO you can bring copy of your N-400 and IO will consolidate interview results with original file once it makes it to DO.

I think SafferJoe may try to show up anyway and pretend that he has never received the cancellation letter. I, however decline any responsability in case of any adverse effect.

I just received my oath ceremony notice for September 5th at the new Raleigh Convention Center!! It feels like the longest wait for anything in my entire life, but in the end it was "only" 43 days. 438 days from my PD, but who's counting now?

fbanna - good moves today, you aced it. If the IO said the next available oath date is October, it sounds like the September 5 and later in September dates are already full. But the beginning of October is only just over a month away and would be in time to register to vote.

Good luck to all - patience does pay off!

I think SafferJoe may try to show up anyway and pretend that he has never received the cancellation letter. I, however decline any responsability in case of any adverse effect.

You know, Bob's suggestion actually did occur to me! This is either a case of great minds think alike, ... or fools seldom differ! :)

Hmmm... Let me think about this a bit longer.

I just received my oath ceremony notice for September 5th at the new Raleigh Convention Center!! It feels like the longest wait for anything in my entire life, but in the end it was "only" 43 days. 438 days from my PD, but who's counting now?

fbanna - good moves today, you aced it. If the IO said the next available oath date is October, it sounds like the September 5 and later in September dates are already full. But the beginning of October is only just over a month away and would be in time to register to vote.

Congratulations PhishC!!..USCIS was correct for once in saying that IL will be received 2 weeks before interview.

Congratulations, Phish!! Just 2 more weeks to go! You're right, my time will come too.

You know, Bob's suggestion actually did occur to me! This is either a case of great minds think alike, ... or fools seldom differ! :)

Hmmm... Let me think about this a bit longer.

The choice is yours..if you already made plans long in advance and don't want to change them ,then go for it. If on the other hand you can wait longer for the reschedule interview in October or November then do so. The way I look at it is that USCIS has been fuc$#^g with us since day one. From the receipting delay, to delays to get interview in first place, and now canceling interview. They have to realize that their incompetence won't be tolerated by us who are paying their salaries to watch the Olympics between interviews!:mad:
I only advocate going to a canceled interview since you, like myself, have been waiting since last summer while other applicants who applied just a few months ago have already had their interview. USCIS obviously does not look at individual cases or circumstances when deciding their matters.

What's even more maddening is reading on other threads that some DOs have sent applicants notices (G-56) to actually appear earlier that there previously scheduled interview...there is no consistency in their process between DOs.