protecting your passport and certificate

If I was a naturalized or derived citizen in Texas I'd sue them for that, given that they're accepting passports from born citizens without requiring them to produce a birth certificate.

Sue them on what grounds? Discrimination based on country of birth?

I would like to see where it says that Texas DMV doesn't accept passport if someone is born out of country. At least I couldn't find it myself in their website.

I would like to see where it says that Texas DMV doesn't accept passport if someone is born out of country. At least I couldn't find it myself in their website.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/identificationrequirements.htm

Which makes reference to Texas Administrative Code Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 15, Subchapter B. However, the code does not make any reference to a US passport showing country of birth outisde US as not being acceptable.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/LawfulStatusDLID.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
These requirements are ridiculous! Apparently the naturalization certificate (form I-550) is not enough either! You need certificate of citizenship (for I-560) to get TX driver license...

Can we renew the PP by submitted the expired one like other born citizens?

Yes - provided it was issued within the last fifteen years. You can also use a passport card to get a passport book and vice-versa which is why it is a very good idea to get the passport card too so that you have it as a backup.

Cool, thanks, they are so screwed up in Texas if they cannot accept a US passport as proof of citizenship :(

Another good (or bad) reason to apply for N-600 for children who acquire automatic citizenship through the child citizenship act of 2000.

If a State will not accept a passport as irrefutable proof of citizenship we are in big trouble :(

Cool, thanks, they are so screwed up in Texas if they cannot accept a US passport as proof of citizenship :(

Another good (or bad) reason to apply for N-600 for children who acquire automatic citizenship through the child citizenship act of 2000.

If a State will not accept a passport as irrefutable proof of citizenship we are in big trouble :(
It looks like they made up that requirement since the actual code doesn't mention anything about the requirement. Only in Texas would they would they tazer a gradma and call it justifiable.;)

Thankfully California is not in this situation. By the way, I think all you Texan naturalized citizens should get together and write a nice letter to the Texas Department of Transportation about this issue. I wonder if they do it because of a perceived or actual high percentage of fake US passports. The naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship has a link to USCIS/A-file and it should have a more up to date status of our citizenship supposedly more accurate and up to date than the passport. However, it looks to me like pure security paranoia and unnecessary requirements. Everything can be "justified" in name of security, but I think the risk of giving a driver license to someone who has had the citizenship revoked is very minimal and not worth causing inconvenience to all naturalized citizens. I hope we could all revert some of the damage to liberties caused by the security paranoia of the last decade, or more.

In California:

Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:

* US Birth Certificate
* US Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad
* Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
* INS American Indian Card
* Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
* US Passport
* US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)
* Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)
* Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
* Northern Mariana Card
* INS US Citizen ID Card
* Permanent Resident Card
* Temporary Resident Identification Card
* Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate
* Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
* Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
* Certification from California Department of Corrections or California Youth Authority
* Employment Authorization Card
* Permanent Resident Re-entry Permit
* Refugee travel document
* "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport
* Valid I-94 stamped "Refugee," "Parole or Parolee," "Asylee," or Section 207, Section 208, Section 209, Section 212d(2), HP or PIP
* Immigration judge’s order granting asylum
* Certified court order or judgment issued from a court of competent jurisdiction.
* Valid I-94 with attached photo stamped "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence"
* Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)
* Mexican Border Crossing Card with valid I-94

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that US Passport is also listed there. It seems both N-550 and US Passport are enough for identification but not enough to prove legal status of a person naturalized in the US.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/LawfulStatusDLID.htm

The lawful status check is for non-citizens and non-LPR only. In other words, citizens are not required to prove lawful status, but the addition of that one phrase (U.S. Passport may be used ONLY if it indicates place of birth in the U.S) makes it appear they do. What they are saying is that for identification purposes a US passport with foreign birth place is not accepted as primary evidence (eventhough it does not say this in the actual code).

This will no doubt end up in court in the not too distant future because it looks like the Texas DPS has taken it upon itself to distinguish between types of citizens when no such distinction is justified nor mentioned in the underlying law.

WOW.. Texas really IS another country.

As my understanding, the naturalization certificate can be used for applying PP at first time, then if we renew PP, we just need the expired PP without original naturalization certificate, right? And after got naturalization certificate, it's better to update our status in our State DPS DL system, so when it's time to renew the DL, we don't need to show it again. Does this mean the certificate has pretty much finished its job and can be saved somewhere else?

Texans, do something, write to the Department of Transportation, your representatives, the media, this cannot stand.

fireproof box

How to protect it? I put all important doc (passport, will, immigration paper, etc.) in the fireproof safety box. Any thief who could hack safe open will be sorry to find a bunch of useless paper (useless for them, invaluable for me). ;-)

PS. Make sure the box is heavier than one man can carry.