Prediction on weekly receipt update times

I read something in a different thread that during the conference call, the ombudsman stated that the CIS is hoping to have the receipting delay caught up with by January 2008. He also stated that this will most certainly result in processing delays after the receipts are issued. Judging from this, I don't see how they realistically expect to process N-400 applications within 7 months. I think it'll definitely take well over a year.

Could you elaborate on what "receipting delay caught up with by January 2008" means?

From what I read here, the USCIS is estimating that the receipting for June-Aug will be ended by end of Oct. Taking into consideration that the NSC and TSC are at Aug 14 and 13 respectively with the EB filing, that would probably take the next week to finish 14-17 and then the N400 will be cleared to be receipted, so I estimate that after this week, we will see better progress on that queue.

Now, it will be interesting to see what the new processing times will be tomorrow (Oct 15) and if the AP and EAD will be the same. That means that most of the late Aug filers (like me :)) will start getting FP notice and whatnot in the next two weeks.

Therefore I ask what will be in January 2008 that USCIS will catch up with?

Vorpal

You said "Perhaps an organized effort to send actual letters to DHS would do something?"

I suppose it's worth a try. Do we know a name of some official to whom we can address them though ? DHS must be such a big body, I think that sending correspondence without a definite recipient might be a waste of time.

I think I'll do some more research. Maybe try sending a complaint to a different senator on the immigration committee. I'll report back if I can find anything of interest. Trouble is they all seem more interested in illegal immigrants just now than they are in sorting out those of us who play by the rules.

This page has a list of the Immigration/citizenship sub-committee of the Judiciary Committee

http://clerk.house.gov/committee_info/index.html?comcode=HJU00

None of those named represent my own state, and I've already written to Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, with no response.

I've looked at a few of the senators' and representatives' home pages and I think that unless one lives in their state/district they wouldn't be inclined to try to help.

I don't know what's best to do. :confused:

Once we get our data into the system it might be worth contacting our own senators and/or representatives, but until we can give them some specific details I doubt they would be able to do much, seeing as our applications are all still mouldering away in some closet at USCIS!

Could you elaborate on what "receipting delay caught up with by January 2008" means?

By January 2008 USCIS indicated that they expect to have the receipt dates current for all applications (I130,N400,I-485 etc..). By current they mean you should receive a notice of receipt within 30 days of submitting your application.

From what I read here, the USCIS is estimating that the receipting for June-Aug will be ended by end of Oct. Taking into consideration that the NSC and TSC are at Aug 14 and 13 respectively with the EB filing, that would probably take the next week to finish 14-17 and then the N400 will be cleared to be receipted, so I estimate that after this week, we will see better progress on that queue.

Now, it will be interesting to see what the new processing times will be tomorrow (Oct 15) and if the AP and EAD will be the same. That means that most of the late Aug filers (like me :)) will start getting FP notice and whatnot in the next two weeks.

Therefore I ask what will be in January 2008 that USCIS will catch up with?

Judging from the way the post regarding January 2008 was worded (and considering that the conference call was held on October 12th), my guess is that ALL applications up to that date will receive receipts by January 2008. Considering the fact that the CIS is asking all applicants to allow up to 15 weeks for their receipt to be mailed, January 2008 sounds like a correct time frame. Then again, this is only an assumption on my part.

Vorpal

You said "Perhaps an organized effort to send actual letters to DHS would do something?"

I suppose it's worth a try. Do we know a name of some official to whom we can address them though ? DHS must be such a big body, I think that sending correspondence without a definite recipient might be a waste of time.

I think I'll do some more research. Maybe try sending a complaint to a different senator on the immigration committee. I'll report back if I can find anything of interest. Trouble is they all seem more interested in illegal immigrants just now than they are in sorting out those of us who play by the rules.

After doing some research this weekend, I considered addressing my grievances to the CIS Ombudsman, the same person who handled the conference call regarding the receipting delays. However, from what I understand, he really can't do much, as the CIS provides him with little information to begin with. I honestly think that all we can do right now is wait to get our receipts. They'll provide a little more ground to base our complaints on, especially if we start experiencing unreasonable processing delays.

Week of 10/19/07 Predictions

Anyone have any predictions for tomorrow? Being that VSC has been stuck on 7/25 for a month, perhaps tomorrow they'll move to 7/26 (and be stuck on that for another month)? I won't hold my breath.

Anyone have any predictions for tomorrow? Being that VSC has been stuck on 7/25 for a month, perhaps tomorrow they'll move to 7/26 (and be stuck on that for another month)? I won't hold my breath.

Since USCIS is in a rush to complete receipting of I-485 applications from July-August before the end of October, my prediction is that N400 receipt times will move little (1-2 days at most) if at all.

Since USCIS is in a rush to complete receipting of I-485 applications from July-August before the end of October, my prediction is that N400 receipt times will move little (1-2 days at most) if at all.

Makes sense. If that's really the case, and it certainly seems like it is, why don't they just say that N-400s are on hold until the I-485s are processed? Also, do you know anything about the November 17th date that everyone keeps talking about and its significance?

just being realistic...

...won't move - I expect my checks cashed by January '08, at the earliest :(

...won't move - I expect my checks cashed by January '08, at the earliest :(

I doubt things will improve even by January '08. I'm sure USCIS will come up with another excuse by then despite of their commitment of taking care of things by January of next year.

Nothing will change unless people would start bombarding them with their emails EVERYDAY on thier email address which is on their website. Also, people should write to all the Congresspersons than just their own Congresspersons in their State. Otherwise, don't forget that USCIS is talking about sending out ONLY receipt by January of next year which has nothing to do with the processing of applications.

Commulative efforts from people will compel the USCIS to hire extra employees quicker to take care of this mess than just kept having talks about this mess...

Destiny of your case in your own hand unless you don't want to do anything and like to just watch the game....

Couldn't agree more.. unless/until we speakout and let the world know our pains- no one is going to understand the urgency of the issue here.
they have almost doubled the fees and promised us the better/faster processing- you would expect them to add more resources. the whole process used to take just 3-6 months before and we are talking about not even getting our receipt in that time frame- totally unacceptable.
I could see a similar "flowers campaign" coming up.

"Arise, Awake and not stop until the goal is achieved"- Swami Vivekananda

I doubt things will improve even by January '08. I'm sure USCIS will come up with another excuse by then despite of their commitment of taking care of things by January of next year.

Nothing will change unless people would start bombarding them with their emails EVERYDAY on thier email address which is on their website. Also, people should write to all the Congresspersons than just their own Congresspersons in their State. Otherwise, don't forget that USCIS is talking about sending out ONLY receipt by January of next year which has nothing to do with the processing of applications.

Commulative efforts from people will compel the USCIS to hire extra employees quicker to take care of this mess than just kept having talks about this mess...

Destiny of your case in your own hand unless you don't want to do anything and like to just watch the game....

The only e-mail address I was able to find on the USCIS website is USCIS.Webmaster@dhs.gov. Is this the correct address?

Makes sense. If that's really the case, and it certainly seems like it is, why don't they just say that N-400s are on hold until the I-485s are processed? Also, do you know anything about the November 17th date that everyone keeps talking about and its significance?

Well, they can't say N400 are on hold since that would lead to all kinds of legal action. N400 are still being receipted, but receipting of I-485, I-765 applications are currently the priority.

November 17th is 90 days after the deadline to send in I-485 application for numbers that became available. Technically, USCIS is supposed to approve work permits within 90 days of I-485 submission, so some speculate that after November 17th USCIS will have more resources freed up to deal with the other pending (non I-485) applications.

Well, they can't say N400 are on hold since that would lead to all kinds of legal action. N400 are still being receipted, but receipting of I-485, I-765 applications are currently the priority.

November 17th is 90 days after the deadline to send in I-485 application for numbers that became available. Technically, USCIS is supposed to approve work permits within 90 days of I-485 submission, so some speculate that after November 17th USCIS will have more resources freed up to deal with the other pending (non I-485) applications.

Thanks a lot for the info, that cleared up a lot of questions I've had. Since the teleconference revealed that the USCIS is working on receipting all I-485s by the end of October, maybe there really is a cashed check in my future!

Shouldn't N-400 applications be given priority? *ducks*

In a perfect world, yes. However, if one is applying for naturalization, obviously he/she is already a legal permanent resident; therefore, that person is already permitted to work.

A work permit is a more time-critical document, so I can understand why those are given priority. Trust me, I wish all applications were prioritized equally, but no one cares about what we wish.

Has the 15 week to receipt timeframe gone out of the window as well then? I wondered because January 08 is being mentioned now? Receiving a receipt isn't going to get us very far, there'll be several months' wait after that for finger prints, then who know how long until interviews, I'd guess at least a year, and perhaps more in some areas.

I realise that other applications have timeframes, whereas N400 doesn't - but that should not be detrimental to our interests. We have all been here at least 3 years, some very much longer. We have contributed, paid taxes, invested capital, etc.in the USA. We are entitled to consideration at least equal to those who have submitted other applications. The two things ought to be dealt with by different departments, surely - they are incompatible.

Whinge whinge - I know!

I do feel like complaining to someone - I'll wait for confirmation of the address Vorpal has suggested.

Has the 15 week to receipt timeframe gone out of the window as well then? I wondered because January 08 is being mentioned now? Receiving a receipt isn't going to get us very far, there'll be several months' wait after that for finger prints, then who know how long until interviews, I'd guess at least a year, and perhaps more in some areas.

I realise that other applications have timeframes, whereas N400 doesn't - but that should not be detrimental to our interests. We have all been here at least 3 years, some very much longer. We have contributed, paid taxes, invested capital, etc.in the USA. We are entitled to consideration at least equal to those who have submitted other applications. The two things ought to be dealt with by different departments, surely - they are incompatible.

Whinge whinge - I know!

I do feel like complaining to someone - I'll wait for confirmation of the address Vorpal has suggested.

While I feel your anxiety, I have one too, you know, I think you don't understand what it means to wait for all this red tape. I'm here for more than 10 years, LC took 4 years, and now AOS.

You should be thankful you don't have to go through that.

Tennis court - yes I understand your point of view, and sympathise.

Our situations are not the same, we both have grievances, and they are both valid.
There ought not to be a need to feel that we are being treated less fairly than others. Officials in charge of these matters should be able to organise a better way of administering these convoluted laws, rules and regulations.

It would have been easier on all concerned if they had put a complete stop on N400s for a period, rather than have us all waiting around indefinitely like this, wondering for so long what is going on( it has, in effect been a complete stop, especially for TSC).

I noticed on another forum that someone who applied to Vermont 3 days before me now has an interview date, so at least some people are getting through.

TSC has drawn the short straw, guess!