Philadelphia PA - N-400 Timeline

Just got a letter today, interview on 3/17 deschedule due to unforeseen circumstances.

Anybody else got this? or am I the lucky one?

I had an interview on the same date, which was cancelled "due to unforseen circumstances". I and my wife applied at the same time, together, and my wife got an interview date of 3/27, which at that time I thought was somewhat strange. I'd have thought that we would get the interview together, as we did for I-485/ adjustment of status. It could be that the date that was given to us , i.e. 3/17, was by mistake. Anyway, there's no way to know, and the best that can be done is to wait for the next interview date. Hopefully, that won't take months.

-pk

No interview yet. What next?

I applied same time with my wife at the end of September 2008.
We both have the fingerprint taken on Nov 12, 2008.
My wife had her interview on February and she will have the oath next week.

Unfortunately I did not receive the invitation to the interview.
I called 1800 373-5283 four times but it was useless.

I had an Infopass appointment today March 09, 2009.
The immigration officer asked me if I had the interview. I said no.

She said that she has no idea why I haven’t been invited to the interview because everything seems to be fine and they got the results of FBI name check back in November 2008.

I asked her what is the next step and she said that I have to wait.
I asked for how long and she said that I have to wait one year before I can call them.

I cannot agree with her but unfortunately I have no idea what I have to do next.

How long do I have to wait and what do I need to do next?

Application Sent : September 18, 2008
FP: Nov 12, 2008 (Philly)
Interview Document Checklist - 01/14/2009 (asked to bring my kid’s birth certificate and my driver's license)
Called 1800 373-5283 – no results
Infopass March 09, 2009

I asked her what is the next step and she said that I have to wait.
I asked for how long and she said that I have to wait one year before I can call them.

I cannot agree with her but unfortunately I have no idea what I have to do next.

How long do I have to wait and what do I need to do next?

This is a typical answer from an IO who has no idea what they are talking about. Schedule another Infopass in 30 days and request to speak with a supervisor if another IO tells you to wait 1 year.
You can also talk to an IO over the phone by using the previously posted trick to by pass the customer service reps.

Thank you Bobsmyth!

Two weeks ago I tried to talk to a IO.
I did something like this:
1-800-375-5283 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 6 - 1 - (receipt # ) - 1 - 1 - 3 - 3 (or 4)

The lady I talked to told me that they do not have more information than
I can find online. She also said that they do not have even my name.
In other words, they have some information about my case but they do not have names because "they cannot verify caller's identity".

She recommend me to schedule an Infopass. And this is what I did.

I will try again tomorrow morning.

Or you could start writing some letters instead......

Thank you Bobsmyth!

In other words, they have some information about my case but they do not have names because "they cannot verify caller's identity".

Thank you Bobsmyth!

Call the number, choose options 1-2-3 to get to a customer service rep. Tell them it's been more than 30 days since you applied and you haven't received receipt number yet (don't tell them anything else, including that you did FP). The rep will transfer your call to an IO who will be able to look into the status of your case.

Or you could start writing some letters instead......

I sent a letter back in December but never got back from them.

I will definitely write a few more but I do not know how I can "motivate"
them to do their job.

It is either that I do not know the law or it is a lack of legislation when we
are talking about what they are supposed to do.

In other words we all know that they need to decide in 120 days after the
interview.

But I believe it is not clearly defined how long you have to wait from the
moment you apply until you’ll have the interview.

Sometimes I am wonder why is so complicated. Why this cannot be solved to
something like consumer protection legislation?

This is not a free service. You are paying for a “product”.
Why you cannot have a timeframe and information about what is going on?

It is like you take your car to a body shop and few days later you come back
to see what is the status and what they say is something like: “Come back
after 30 days. We don’t know where your car is”. or “We don’t know why you
car is not fixed”.

I had problems with banks and even with a body shop. I called consumer
protection bureaus, Better Business Bureau and so on and I always had an
answer and problem solved.

I am wonder why consumer protection is not working in this context.

So I would like to send them several letters but at this time I do not know
what to ask for.

What they have in mind is the idea that we have a processing time that can
last about one year so “there is no rush”.

What can I write to make them accelerate the process?

I had an interview on the same date, which was cancelled "due to unforseen circumstances". I and my wife applied at the same time, together, and my wife got an interview date of 3/27, which at that time I thought was somewhat strange. I'd have thought that we would get the interview together, as we did for I-485/ adjustment of status. It could be that the date that was given to us , i.e. 3/17, was by mistake. Anyway, there's no way to know, and the best that can be done is to wait for the next interview date. Hopefully, that won't take months.

-pk

hi pk, what is your receipt date?

thx,
RS

Hello,

I had my interview in PHL today. Things went very smooth. I arrived at 745 and went to second floor. After I checked in at 800, I waited for 5 minutes and was called in. The officer was very courteous. We went through my application document, asked if I wanted to change names and then gave me the test. In my case I could pick old or new test. I picked new. He then asked verbally 6 question which I answered correctly and then asked me to read and write a sentance. I then signed two photographs.
He then told me I pass and gave me a form indicating that my application is recommended for approval. He mentioned oath letter should be in 3 to 6 weeks.

Couple of other notes. I found street parking on Callowhill. The meter accpets quarters only. Its a quarter for every 7.5 minutes. There is a parking garage right next door as well.

It was allowed to bring in cellphones into building.

Good luck to all. I look fwd to receiving OL

Congrats!!! Do you get to keep your current citizenship(s)?

I am not really sure. Nothing was discussed to that effect. My understanding is that the US does not recognize your other citizenship once you are granted a US one. As for my home country, I believe that they allow duals.

Nov 3, 2008.

-pk

I recieved an interview letter last night. The interview date has been rescheduled for April 21, 2009, approximately five weeks after the originally scheduled date of March 17, 2009 (which was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, or something like that).

-pk

Judicial oath Ceremony at Philadelphia

Finally became US Citizens. Most of cherished moment.

Oath Ceremony Scheduled at US District Court @ 8.15 am today

First its security check at the entrance. Then few minutes wait at the ceremonial hall.

There were 100+ people for oath and some guests with them.

Around at 8.30 am, the court clerk and IO gave quick brief about the ceremony procedures.

After brief, the IO started calling people in a group (10 persons). He checked the back of the Oath letter for any updates since the interview date and got the Green card from us. If there is any updates, he addressed it. If not, we were asked to sign the certificate of Naturalization by the court clerk. She also asked us to pick up the details about the days ceremonial and few guidelines for applying the passport etc.

Around 9.45 am, the judge presided with 2 guests to address the to be new citizens after the oath. Then the IO read the motion to grant the name change and to preside the oath for the new citizens. After Judge approval, we were asked to raise up and take the oath. Judge congratulated and the two guest speaker delivered their speeches on welcoming the new citizens.

There was a Parade of flags by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America.

Court adjouned.

Around 11.30 am Jusitce gave our oath certificate.

On our way out there was reception sponsored by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America.

It was neatly organized.

On the way back we updated our Social Security Status and applied passports.

Good Luck for everyone waiting to become USC.

Got mine as well. On top of that, that young attorney was hot ! ha ha
I'm a proud american now. I applied to passport as well but I forgot to update my ssn status. I guess I will have to do that when I get back my certificate papers from passport.

Finally became US Citizens. Most of cherished moment.

Oath Ceremony Scheduled at US District Court @ 8.15 am today

First its security check at the entrance. Then few minutes wait at the ceremonial hall.

There were 100+ people for oath and some guests with them.

Around at 8.30 am, the court clerk and IO gave quick brief about the ceremony procedures.

After brief, the IO started calling people in a group (10 persons). He checked the back of the Oath letter for any updates since the interview date and got the Green card from us. If there is any updates, he addressed it. If not, we were asked to sign the certificate of Naturalization by the court clerk. She also asked us to pick up the details about the days ceremonial and few guidelines for applying the passport etc.

Around 9.45 am, the judge presided with 2 guests to address the to be new citizens after the oath. Then the IO read the motion to grant the name change and to preside the oath for the new citizens. After Judge approval, we were asked to raise up and take the oath. Judge congratulated and the two guest speaker delivered their speeches on welcoming the new citizens.

There was a Parade of flags by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America.

Court adjouned.

Around 11.30 am Jusitce gave our oath certificate.

On our way out there was reception sponsored by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America.

It was neatly organized.

On the way back we updated our Social Security Status and applied passports.

Good Luck for everyone waiting to become USC.

Interview today, 3/20.

Security was heavy and there was a queue for an oath ceremony. Took 20 minutes to get in and up to the waiting room

Called 30 mins after appointment time.

Only passport, green card and driving license needed. All personal details were checked, followed by all the yes/no sections.

Passed on questions and the writing test.

Lasted about 10 to 15 minutes, result was recommended for approval.
6 to 8 weeks for oath letter (hinted that 3 was not impossible but no promises)

H