Philadelphia PA - N-400 Timeline

Of course they will wait until the final approval is processed, then they will initiate the name change request which will be administered in the courtroom part of the oath ceremony. I see from the patterns on several of these threads that there is really no correlation between the wait for oath and name change request. But I will assume the process should be faster if there is no name change. Nevertheless, in my case there is no name change still I am waiting, my wife does not have name change too, her oath is scheduled for the Feb 27th. I am not able to understand why they split up our oath process even though they mentioned that both my wife and me will get oath scheduled at the same time /date within 1-2 months!

Could u explain your situation and I-130 mine sounds similar

My situation is very similar except I have not done I-130.--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick92> Thank you. I can't wait, I already feel American in so many ways.

The next challenge will be to Adjust my husband's status.
How soon can he start working after we apply for I485 etc... note that he already has an approved I-130 since 2005.
He comes in/out on a B2 and he currently here on a I94 valid until June 09.

Thanks

Of course they will wait until the final approval is processed, then they will initiate the name change request which will be administered in the courtroom part of the oath ceremony. I see from the patterns on several of these threads that there is really no correlation between the wait for oath and name change request. But I will assume the process should be faster if there is no name change. Nevertheless, in my case there is no name change still I am waiting, my wife does not have name change too, her oath is scheduled for the Feb 27th. I am not able to understand why they split up our oath process even though they mentioned that both my wife and me will get oath scheduled at the same time /date within 1-2 months!

Rick92> Is there a difference in the process (work eligibility) for someone who maries a US citizen vs someone married to a Permanent Resident who later becomes citizen?
Is it true that as soon as the I485 is filled and a receipt issued, the receipt can be used as proof to seek legal employment?

Don't you think that the EAD is really useless if you are applying to adjust anyway? I think they just bundled the whole thing to justify the exhorbitant fees. Just as they do for Asylee....once you are granted Asylum, your status gives you authorization to work, yet USCIS, lawyers etc... are still promoting the idea of EAD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My situation is very similar except I have not done I-130.--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will keep you posted on the process after i am sworn in....on March 5th. Thanks

No oath yet - 180 days completed after interview

I attended the interview in Sep '08 and I requested for a name change.

I didn't expect name change will delay the process.

Waitingforoath,

Did you got your oath letter?

Anyone in the same same boat.

It's so frustrating.

al2009, I just got my letter. I didn't expect that name change will take this long either. But I'm glad that I did it. I asked anybody and everybody who has experience in this n400 process. All of them told me that there's nothing I can do but wait.

I attended the interview in Sep '08 and I requested for a name change.

I didn't expect name change will delay the process.

Waitingforoath,

Did you got your oath letter?

Anyone in the same same boat.

It's so frustrating.

waiting4oath - Congratulations!!!

waiting4oath,

Congratulations!!!

When did you receive the Oath letter.

Thanks! I was away when the letter came in. so I don't know the exact day but I believe it came in either today or before. al2009, you will get yours soon enough. don't get distracted by other people's dates. Everybody is different and everybody gets his/hers sooner or later. It was interesting to know other people's dates but they help me nothing but making me anxious. You can do infopass but doubt it would be much helpful, but you should anyway just to get an idea. Just wait or ask your lawyer (if you have one) what's going on. Good Luck!

waiting4oath,

Congratulations!!!

When did you receive the Oath letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 3 months wait!

I had my Interview on November 18 in Philly and still no oath letter! That's 106days!

I did request a name change...

I called the customer service line and kept escalating until i got a person who told me that my application was approved and all I'm waiting on is the oath letter.
She told me that that's all she could tell me and if I wanted more info I should scheduel an InfoPass appointment.

I'm nervous:(

I took my oath today in Wilmington Federal Court (name change requested during interview on Nov. 4th).
I am a proud American Citizen. Thank you America!

We arrived @ 8:50am for a 9am apt, security took about 15mins, then we proceeded upstairs and waited for about 30 mins before the Immigration Officer from the Philly Office (Jeanne Ciccone) arrived with a briefcase full of what I think was our certificates etc... (she was late due to traffic congestion according to the bits of conversation I overheard). She then started by calling each applicant and asking to present the green card, the oath letter from the immigration and any other docs such as travel documents... she asked again whether the marital status had changed, any trouble with the police or travel out of the country AFTER the interview. If no, she checked her file and asked you to sign your Naturalization Certificate and return to your seat.
If there was a change, travel or trouble with police, she asked additional questions and made some notes on your file. For example a lady had lost her green card so the officer asked for the circumstances around the lost and made notes which she then advised the lady to verify the story and sign the form.
Another man had a few traffic tickets, he was asked if he had paid all of them to which he replied yes.
Another eldery man had a case pending in mediation and he was asked to go home and wait until the case has be settled. To provide a document from the court stating the resolution status and then his case would be reviewed again and a new date set if necessary.
The immigration also screw up 2 applicants, one had the wrong picture on the certificate and the other certificate was missing. Both of them were sworn in and told their certificates will be mailed.
After the verification, a judge came in, gave a speech then a motion was submitted by the immigration officer. Basically asking the judge to grant us citizenship because we have met all requirements. The judge granted the motion and we pledged alliance, a guest speaker gave another speech, a young woman sang the national anthem and we were called and handed our certificates. There were 73 new citizen and the whole thing lasted until about 12noon.

There was no set number of guests for each applicants. I had two guests with me and some people were alone while other had 6.

That's my quick summary of my experience today.

Any question, let me know.

Congrats Kikilux

It took 3 hours for the whole oath ceremony. I have mine on 3/19 @ 8.15 am, this will help to plan my day.

Thanks! I was away when the letter came in. so I don't know the exact day but I believe it came in either today or before. al2009, you will get yours soon enough. don't get distracted by other people's dates. Everybody is different and everybody gets his/hers sooner or later. It was interesting to know other people's dates but they help me nothing but making me anxious. You can do infopass but doubt it would be much helpful, but you should anyway just to get an idea. Just wait or ask your lawyer (if you have one) what's going on. Good Luck!
Congrats waiting4oath

When is your oath?

I had my Interview on November 18 in Philly and still no oath letter! That's 106days!

I did request a name change...

I called the customer service line and kept escalating until i got a person who told me that my application was approved and all I'm waiting on is the oath letter.
She told me that that's all she could tell me and if I wanted more info I should scheduel an InfoPass appointment.

I'm nervous:(
Did they tell you when yours was approved?. It took me a over a month to get an oath letter after been approved.

Interview descheduled

Just got a letter today, interview on 3/17 deschedule due to unforeseen circumstances.

Anybody else got this? or am I the lucky one?

Just got a letter today, interview on 3/17 deschedule due to unforeseen circumstances.

I got one of those. I ended up getting interviewed a month later. There is nothing you can do about this. And no one tells you why it was cancelled.

I got one of those. I ended up getting interviewed a month later. There is nothing you can do about this. And no one tells you why it was cancelled.

Thanks sza12, when did this happen to you? did you get the descheduling letter only a few days before the original interview date?

regards,
RS

The same thing happened to me. They rescheduled my interview on the same day but at a different time. I got that letter a week after the descheduled notice. My advise to you is not to worry. You should get something in the mail soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks sza12, when did this happen to you? did you get the descheduling letter only a few days before the original interview date?

regards,
RS

Yes, I got the letter about 5-6 days before the appointment. My original appointment was Nov 10th (I think) and I was interviewed on Dec 3rd.

I know this is very frustrating, but you're at their mercy.

S.