Philadelphia PA - N-400 Timeline

Thanks everyone. I will look at this link now. I am really confused abt this SSS letter. My hubby doesnt have this one. And we called yesterday, they say it will like 4 weeks to get this letter.

Crossing my fingers, and hoping IO will not ask for this.

Also, can some one from Philly DO, who had interview in past couple of months please let me know, if they asked for state taxes and more importantly for Selective Services letter.

Thanks,
Akapoor

Thanks everyone. I will look at this link now. I am really confused abt this SSS letter. My hubby doesnt have this one. And we called yesterday, they say it will like 4 weeks to get this letter.

Crossing my fingers, and hoping IO will not ask for this.

When you say your 'hubby does not have this one', do you mean that he has not yet obtained a letter from the SSS? Or do you mean his IL does not ask him to bring it, but your IL requires you to bring a letter from SSS?

Female N-400 applicants are not required to register or bring this letter.

Hi,

I meant, he did not get the letter. I know it is our mistake, but he feels that IO can figure out looking at GC date and Birth Certificate date. I mean, we kinda neglected this, so basically it is our fault. But I did finally manage to convince him to request for this letter, but I am sure this will not arrive in time. All our fault. :(

Thanks a bunch

Thanks a ton LolaLi.
This was so useful. I cld print my returns from 2007-2004. You guys are awesome. You made my life easy.

Can't thank enough.

Regards,

Akapoor

akapoor - take the IRS transcripts and copies of your submitted tax forms. Also go to your state's department of revenue at http://www.revenue.state.pa.us/.

Click on the "e-Services" link - in the left column and click on the "Access My Personal Income Tax Account" link. Register for that service and see if it gives you access to what you filed for 2007. It should as the description reads: "View your current year Personal Income Tax return, refund information, payment history and verify current liabilities. Make your current year tax return payment, estimated, extension and delinquent payments using ACH debit. Make changes and updates to your Personal Income Tax account."

Direct link --> http://www.doreservices.state.pa.us/Individual/default.htm

List of documents and DL question

Hi All,

Can you please just have a look at this list, just to double check if I have missed anything.

1. IL
2. Passport
3. GC,
4. DL
5. Birth Certificate
6. Marriage Certificate
7. Federal and State Tax returns.
8. ssL? ( We dont have this)
9. Traffic reciept ( dont have the traffic ticket, but just the check copy which was used to pay the ticket). Cld not track down the ticket.
10. SSN
11. Pictures(4) ---- Is this needed again? I remember sending them some pictures? Dont exactly recollect how many though. But remember that did exactly as was mentioned in N400 instructions form.

12. Employment Letter
13. Copy of N400
14.Some bills to prove residency

Pen(blue/black), pencil etc.

One thing I would like to mention is, i always mentioned my eye color as black in all docs. But when I went to renew my DL, the officer there thought my eye was brown and changed it to brown, and he simply refused to let it remain to black.

Can someone see this as an issue? Do I need to correct this in my N400?

Thanks,
Akapoor

USCIS is a federal agency... Why on earth they would care about state taxes is beyond my understanding. To re-iterate Vorpal, why not to go further and check on local taxes, real estate taxes, school taxes, etc... absurd has no boundaries.

The reason why immigration officers ask about state taxes because- (1) N-400 does ask if applicant has paid taxes (federal, state and local) or not, so officer does retain the right to verify this information; (2) failure to file income taxes (whether it's federal, state and local) is a sign of bad character on applicant's part because it shows that applicant doesn't care about laws/rules of United States...Local laws are also laws of United States...

Pretty much, USCIS likes to know EVERYTHING about the applicant which is covered under background questions, which is more than just criminal past...

Hi All,

Can you please just have a look at this list, just to double check if I have missed anything.

13. Copy of N400

You can choose to mention your color of eyes as brown during the interview. It's not a big deal. The color of eyes and hair, and height, weight, do change for some people if not all as time passes...So, it's not a big deal.

And you don't need to take copy of N-400 with you as to say as an evidence/document to give to the officer; instead you should just review your N-400 many times before having interview so that you wouldn't answer differently upon asked. Your answer should match with the information that you submitted in your N-400 to INS when you filed the application.

Thanks JohnnyCash. I didnt realize that the color of eyes change, ( I know abt the height and weight). I meant updated N400 form to mention the change of color of eyes.
Or is this not required? Should I even bother mentioning that the color of eyes as recorded in DL is brown?

Thanks,
Akapoor

Relax!

akapoor,

Relax. You'll be fine. While this forum is very helpful during this lengthy process most of us here have gone through or are going through, it also creates unnecessary worries as well.

In my experience, the "information officers" in Room 100 at the Philly DO range from rude and ignorant to professional and helpful. Overall I find the apathy shown by this DO appalling. But the interview was among the few highlights of the whole process. The IO who interviewed me was very professional and courteous; the other IOs who walked into and out of the waiting room (I spent over 3 hours in waiting) appeared to be similar.

When I was interviewed in Feb., the only documentations I was asked to produce included passport, green card, and driver's license. Was asked about Selective Service, in an indirect way - "were you on a non-immigrant visa before age 26" - I answered "yes, I was on F-1 student visa all that time" and that was it.

Take it easy and good luck.

stb9

Thanks in advance

Does anyone know if there a Oath Ceremony scheduled in Philadelphia(philly) -Phila on August 21st? Anyone received any letters?

Hello All,

I am in the process of getting my documents ready for Monday.(interview). Btw, my hubby did finally sent the request for SSS letter on Wednesday and it reached them yesterday and finally today cld call up CR in SS office, and requested her to fax us the letter stating that my hubby was not required to register ( we explained her our situation). And believe it or not, but she did fax us the letter.

So, I am thinking we have everything ready, expect the one ticket reciept.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks everyone. I will keep u posted and also write up my Interview experience as soon as I can.

Please wish us luck. :)

Case Status - Incorrect Number of Digits Entered.

Incorrect Number of Digits Entered?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I call 1-800 number I am getting message saying that incorrect number of digits entered.

When I check the status online - status is pending.

What is this means?

Thank you.

DO: Philadelphia,PA
PD: Feb 7th 2008
FP: Mar 11th 2008
ID: ??

It means you either missed a digit when you phoned in or the online phone status system is not recognizing your receipt number the way you entered it.

Interview Experience

Hi All,

Our interview was scheduled at 10:40 a.m today, but my hubby was called around 11:30 a.m and I was called around 12:15pm.
But interview itself was breeze. We both were interviewed by different IO.

Some questions from N400 and 10 written civics questions.

In the end the letter was given, saying Congrats, and the letter for Oath will be sent in 3 weeks time.
Only docs asked: Passport, and Green Card (+ IL, of course).

Good luck everyone! Thanks all for your help.

Regards,
Akapoor

Akapoor,

Congratulations. Did they ask any English Competency questions? I read somewhere that they ask it in addition to the civic questions.

Thanks,
Sayam

How soon can one go for InfoPass after interview?

Hi All,

I was wondering how soon can one take InfoPass after interview to request for early Oath date. I have plans to travel India, but the IO had told me that I might recieve the letter with Oath date within 3 weeks. But when the actual Oath date would be, she had no idea. So, I was thinking of InfoPass. But I dont know how long I shd wait before trying to meet with someone using InfoPass.

Kindly suggest.

Thanks,
Akapoor

Hi All,

I was wondering how soon can one take InfoPass after interview to request for early Oath date. I have plans to travel India, but the IO had told me that I might recieve the letter with Oath date within 3 weeks. But when the actual Oath date would be, she had no idea. So, I was thinking of InfoPass. But I dont know how long I shd wait before trying to meet with someone using InfoPass.

Kindly suggest.

Thanks,
Akapoor

You can make an Infopass pass now and the IO should be able to update your case with your request.