Philadelphia PA - N-400 Timeline

Yes, my PD is Nov 2007. I finished my FP in Feb, and waiting for interview in July (28th).

I would also suggest getting an InfoPass. But one thing to note, is there is atleast one IO there, (I think junior IO) who didnt have any clue. She made me nervous by saying she has no idea as to where my file was. If something like that happens, please request to talk to another IO.

Hope that helps,
Akapoor

Finally!

Almost 19 months after filing, I was sworn in as a new US citizen in Philadelphia last Wednesday.

PD: 12/06
ID: 02/08
OD: 07/08

Over the last year I have contacted USCIS numerous times, through InfoPass, snail mail, calls to the 800 customer service number, and calls and letters to elected officials. The people I encountered during the process ranged from rude and ignorant to professional and helpful, but collectively USCIS is the least efficient organization (private or public) I have dealt with. My expectation for this agency had become so low that I was genuinely shocked by how well and efficiently the ceremony ran last week at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, where 1500 new citizens took the oath.

I have to agree with LolaLi

I got out of the infamous name check in early May, 2007, about 4 months later than the best case scenario. However, I was placed at the end of the queue - although Philadelphia DO never admitted so, let alone justifying this unfair practice - it was obvious because I didn't get my interview notice until those who filed in May/June 2007 (and zipped through name check) started getting interview notices.

I was kept in the interview queue for 9 months; then they gave me a mere 6-day advance notice, with the letter arriving less than 24 hours before my flight out of the country. I had to scramble to re-book the ticket and cut my vacation short by almost a week.

Actually it makes sense that albertr is still waiting as he was placed in the queue in June 2008 whereas schandrag and his wife were presumably placed in the queue in March 2008 after their name check and finger prints have cleared.

I know this doesn't make sense to us, but it does not matter when you applied if you get stuck in name check - they will place you at the end of the interview queue when you clear name check.

However, I do not want to discourage albertr, please go for an InfoPass if that will make you feel better.

Good luck with your interview

Good kuck, and make sure your finger prints are less than 15-month old before the oath date. When I had my interview, my finger prints still had about 2 months of life left; when I was placed in the oath queue, there were still a couple of weeks left. However, Philadelphia DO really took its time to issue the oath notice, by then my finger prints had "expired". That delayed my oath by yet another month.

Got my interview letter!! Well, sort of.

Filed WOM early May and got an email from the district attorney today; included is the forwarded email from the Philly USCIS director with a word copy of the interview notice for next week:) Guess all they need is a little push. The notice is dated 6/30, so I will probably get the real thing in the next couple days; fingers crossed.

For everyone who is considering filing WOM. seems like it is working well in Philly. Good luck. Will post more after the interview.

Don't want to discourage you

albertr, I don't want to discourage you, but you may have to wait a long time. You can hope for the best, but need to prepare for the worst as well. au71 got word on his IL shortly after clearing name check, it may have resulted solely from litigation, or it may have been the result of the litigation AND the fact that you guys' name check timelines are so out of whack. If your fingerprints are older than 15 months already and no IL has been issued yet, expect to be fingerprinted again before the IL will show up. At any rate, keep in mind that as frustrating as it is, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!

Doesn't it look like scheduling the interview in Philly takes about 2-4 months alone?
I'm in the queue for interview scheduling since 06/06 and still waiting...

I got my interview letter and the interview will be in Philadelphia. But i am from Wilmington, DE. Here is my timeline

PD DEC 3rd,2007
FP JAN 22,2008
ID AUG 8,2008

Almost 19 months after filing, I was sworn in as a new US citizen in Philadelphia last Wednesday.

PD: 12/06
ID: 02/08
OD: 07/08

Over the last year I have contacted USCIS numerous times, through InfoPass, snail mail, calls to the 800 customer service number, and calls and letters to elected officials. The people I encountered during the process ranged from rude and ignorant to professional and helpful, but collectively USCIS is the least efficient organization (private or public) I have dealt with. My expectation for this agency had become so low that I was genuinely shocked by how well and efficiently the ceremony ran last week at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, where 1500 new citizens took the oath.

Congratulations, stb9!!

Any idea how often Philly DO conducts oath ceremonies?

No idea. All I can say is that it runs more frequently in Philly than in Delaware. Last year there was a "mega" ceremony in Philly in April, then again in June. But this year oath ceremonies have been small in size but held almost weekly, except the one on July 2.

Congratulations, stb9!!

Any idea how often Philly DO conducts oath ceremonies?

Wheehee, got my IL last week. Scheduled on 21st, Aug... :eek:

I hope I can get in line for the historical voting event this yr!!!

Hello All,
Does Any one in Philly have interview on July 28th? Also kindly share your interview experiences.

Thanks,
Akapoor

Got my interview letter!! Well, sort of.

Filed WOM early May and got an email from the district attorney today; included is the forwarded email from the Philly USCIS director with a word copy of the interview notice for next week:) Guess all they need is a little push. The notice is dated 6/30, so I will probably get the real thing in the next couple days; fingers crossed.

For everyone who is considering filing WOM. seems like it is working well in Philly. Good luck. Will post more after the interview.

Congrats, au071! I believe that fast scheduling was solely because of your pending lawsuit. They put me "in a queue" more than a month ago and still zippo. What is the name/address of Philly DO director (if you have it on your email/notice). I'd like to write them a lovely letter to let them know how much I appreciate their great work on burying my case and sitting on it.

Just mailed you a private message, Albertr.

I went to my interview this morning. Appointment is 8:30am, got there at 7:45am (thought there gonna be traffic), first one there. The receptionist asked for the appointment letter and asked me to wait. Soon, the room starts to fill up. They started to calling people in after 8:45am. My interview took less about 5 min, just the quick 10 question civil exam, the officer went through my N400 with me to make sure everything is current. Then, he stamped the approval note and told me to wait and see if he can get me in today's oath ceremony. He did, 11am :D

Went to the 4th floor at 11am, full room. Three officer came in. The lady in charge was probably the nicest INS employee I've ever seen; she is sincerely happy for everyone and is very cheerful and polite. Only if all INS people are like her. Anyway, went through all the people one by one to verify everything is current; around 12:15am, we did the oath and are pronounced U.S. citizens, yeah!!!!

Couple things to note:
1) For the interview, half of the people there didn't bring a copy of their N400 application and have to fill a form(probably a copy of the N400)
2) For the oath, quite a few people didn't fill the 2nd page of the oath notice or filled in wrong. Only need updates for the time after the interview.

Anyway, so glad it's over for me. Best wishes to everyone who is still waiting.

Hi,

Please call them repeatedly and go for InfoPass also, that is what I did to find my case status. And they sent me IL 3 months, before the actual interview date.

Guess, they were tired of answering my status question.

Thanks,
Akapoor

Hi,

thanks for sharing your interview experience. Please let us know your PD.

Thanks,
akapoor

PS: did they ask for any additional documents like DL, tax trans etc.

The officer who interviewed me didn't ask for any additional document. He just checked my green card and went through the N400 application. Seems like the interview in general went pretty quickly.

One interesting incident, there is an asian lady who came in very early and told one officer there that her appointment is 10am but she needs to go to some training and wonder if they can move her up. They did, she was the first one who get interviewed. So, seems like people there are pretty accomedating. I am not recommending everyone do that, but if something unexpected came up and you can't make your original time. Maybe you can talk to them to get you in earlier in the day instead of reschedule the whole thing.

DO: Philadelphia
N400 sent: 03/14/2007
N400 rcvd: 03/15/2007
PD: : 03/15/2007
FP taken : 03/28/2007
NC started:03/30/2007
NC cleared:07/??/2008
Interview Notice: 07/02/2008
Interview: 07/08/2008
Oath: 07/08/2008

Hello All,

Can someone request the IO for early Oath date? I am hoping that if my Interview goes well, can I request for earliest possible Oath date?

Also, where is the passport office in Philadelphia, where I can go to get the passport made the same day? I may sound, as if I am in hurry, but the only thing, I am getting anxious is coz I have to be in India by Aug 20th.

Kindly share your experience.

Regards,
Akapoor

Hello All,

Can someone request the IO for early Oath date? I am hoping that if my Interview goes well, can I request for earliest possible Oath date?
Sure you can request it, but there's no guarantee they can meet the request.
Also, where is the passport office in Philadelphia, where I can go to get the passport made the same day? I may sound, as if I am in hurry, but the only thing, I am getting anxious is coz I have to be in India by Aug 20th.

* PHILADELPHIA Passport Agency
U.S. Custom House
200 Chestnut Street
Room 103
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2970

Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays
Automated Appointment Number: 1-877-487-2778
NOTE: Philadelphia Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html

If you don't get an oath date before August 20th for any reason, you can always delay the oath date till until after you return from India. The other option is to delay your India travel until you receive your oath date.

Last edited by a moderator: