Passed Interview, no oath letter yet ......

That's right.
I just spoke to an IO over the phone and he told me that my case was approved on 12/12. He said we haven't issued an Oath letter yet but it should be issued soon. Do you think I can believe the IO? Why would the interviewing IO hand me over a letter stating that a decision can not be made and yet approve it the same day? He should have checked "You are approved and will receive a decision in mail". Also shouldn't the OL be issued within 1-2 days of approval? I guess I'll call them again on Friday. What do you make of all this?

I'd call back again today to confirm answer with another IO. It could very well be that supervisor approved you on 12/12 (last Friday) and that OL only went out the following week. From there it takes another 2-4 days in the mail so you should be receive it tomorrow or Friday.

I just called and talked to an IO and as suspected the application is still pending. The Officer said that the last update was on 12/16 and I need to wait for another 30 days. Yesterday the Officer said the case was approved on 12/12. I don't know why would Officers give different update everytime? Do they have access to different information?

While my case was pending, I was told different things by different IOs. Once day I had called 5 times within 2 hours. I took the answer that that came up the most often as the most plausible one.
I'd call back again and mention to IO what another IO told you yesterday. Don't worry, they don't keep a record of how many times you called.

Just called in again and the IO said I was approved on 12/12 but no Oath Ceremony has been scheduled. Like you said I'd have to call them 3-4 times daily to get an answer.
I was wondering if I could make an Infopass appointment to get an exact status on the case and get an Oath Letter as well but I have been checking infopass site and it appears no appointment are available. It keeps displaying ...
"At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later."

Today I talked to an IO who said the application was approved by the Officer who re-interviewed me and it's still pending re-evaluation/approval of the Supervisor and they haven't put me in queue for Oath Ceremony yet. Looks like it's not over yet. As I read somewhere in the forum, the Supervisor will make his own evaluation of the case than just act as a rubber stamp.

Today I talked to an IO who said the application was approved by the Officer who re-interviewed me and it's still pending re-evaluation/approval of the Supervisor and they haven't put me in queue for Oath Ceremony yet. Looks like it's not over yet. As I read somewhere in the forum, the Supervisor will make his own evaluation of the case than just act as a rubber stamp.

Same as me, I called USCIS today, and IO told me that I am in queue for Oath Ceremony.

It is a long waiting......:(

Federal Plaza, NYC
Every IO tells a different story. 5 out 6 times I am told I am approved, Once I was told it's still pending and no decision has been taken, twice that it needs Supervisor approval and three times that I am in queue for Oath.

It seems that there's an oath backlog in NYC. It's such a backwards DO. There's always something going on here. If it's not one thing, it's the other.

NYC, that explains it..several forum members have reported the same issue with NYC: it's taking months to receive decisions due to pending supervisor approval.
Document all the times you have called USCIS and the answers they have told you as part of evidence gathering.
I'd go with you were approved by interviewing IO, but that it's waiting final approval by supervisor.

NYC, that explains it..several forum members have reported the same issue with NYC: it's taking months to receive decisions due to pending supervisor approval.
Document all the times you have called USCIS and the answers they have told you as part of evidence gathering.
I'd go with you were approved by interviewing IO, but that it's waiting final approval by supervisor.

Remember how quickly (in relative terms) NYC was issuing OLs prior to the election? I'm inclined to believe that it'll take longer to get scheduled for oath in NYC, now that the voter registration rush is over and the supervisors can take their sweet old time approving pending applications. In any case, the applicants always have the option of 1447(b), if they choose to go that route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got off the phone with USCIS number. Called them 4 times back to back. No transfer to IO. they are giving me the regular spiel about the wait period. One said 'Try InfoPass'. When i said that i cannot get an infopass their recommendation was 'Try many times'.

Are these people not realizing that this is effecting my life? I just got an interview with a private owner. they didn't like the fact that i am not a US citizen as they do trips to Canada twice a week. They said 'they don't want to take the risk'.. Well, there are private owners like this who are ignorant, there is FAA that is hiring with good benefits but for both of these jobs i need US citizenship.
I am on the 6th month of my furlough from the airline and i am about to lose my house. :(

I did try that trick.. In one case i got the written thing from the guy and nothing else. In the second case the girl was so dumb that i had to thank her and hang up; third one was 'Schedule infopass'. It sounded like we were discussing who was in the first base :)
Last guy was helpful, but he said he couldn't check the status as it's been less than 90 since the last action was taken. (i.e interview).
Seattle DO doesn't have Infopass.. I will call the Congresswoman's office on monday. :(

My husband wrote his congressman about my interview situation. The congressman, Adam Schiff, sent a letter to the LA office to ask what was going on and yesterday, Dec. 19, I got a letter from him congratulating me on becoming a citizen. He included a letter from CIS stating that I have been scheduled for the Oath ceremony at 2 p.m. Jan. 29. My husband thinks my file was just sitting on a shelf somewhere, that nobody was doing anything with it till they got the letter from Mr. Schiff. I am so happy to be not waiting any more. We can plan things now. Another few weeks and this will all be over. Thank you for all your support.

I just talked with an IIO 1 minute ago. I was told that I had been approved on Oct. 27th, but no oath date was scheduled yet. I told him that I was afraid that the oath letter might be lost in the mail, and he said that was not the case. It's just that they did not have a date avialible yet.:(

He suggested me to call back if nothing happened by 01/27/09.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long delays in issuance of Oath Letters or Supervisor Approvals is becoming a common phenomenon. There should be a way out or we need to come up with a strategy. On 12/27 it will be 120 days since my first interview. I don't plan on filing a law suite because that's a long route and threatening an IO doesn't make any difference. The IO's over the phone don't seemto know or care about 90 or 120 day deadlines. Here's what I plan to do. Please advise if this will help.
1. Make a Service Inquiry through Customer Support over the phone. I did this earlier and received a letter from local DO in a week about the update of my case.
2. Write to the IO who conducted the interview and CC it to the Director of local office.
3. Make an Infopass appointment.