OCI - New York Tracker

I 'am in similar situation and Mrs. Pusha kumar suggested the following
1) Apply Surrender Certificate but mention "OCI Cell" and Attention to Mrs. Puspa Kumar
2) I used old form because I was desperate and she said okay
3) yes one for each People of Indian orgin (no need for US born kids but their parents should have it I believe)
4) you travel itinerary
I do not know about same day or in-person

My passports are already with the consulate.
-Do they allow in-person processing for Surrender certificate?
-There are 2 forms on the consulate website, depending on where you click from. Which form do we need to fill for Surrender certificate- Form XXII or Declaration of Renunciation form?
-Can only one person go in to get the surrender certificate for the entire family or do all family members need to go to get it?
-Do they give the surrender certificate immediately on the same day? If so, can we get OCI also same day?

PLEASE REPLY. I am leaving for India in 10 days and need the OCI cards soon.

Thanks!![/QUOTE]
Ram

I 'am in similar situation and Mrs. Pusha kumar suggested the following
1) Apply Surrender Certificate but mention "OCI Cell" and Attention to Mrs. Puspa Kumar
2) I used old form because I was desperate and she said okay
3) yes one for each People of Indian orgin (no need for US born kids but their parents should have it I believe)
4) you travel itinerary
I do not know about same day or in-person

My passports are already with the consulate.
-There are 2 forms on the consulate website, depending on where you click from. Which form do we need to fill for Surrender certificate- Form XXII or Declaration of Renunciation form?
-Can only one person go in to get the surrender certificate for the entire family or do all family members need to go to get it?
-Do they give the surrender certificate immediately on the same day? If so, can we get OCI also same day?

PLEASE REPLY. I am leaving for India in 10 days and need the OCI cards soon.
Thanks!!
Ram[/QUOTE]

I believe other people have got visas wiiht the itinerary etc. so my suggestion is to go to consulate with SC and itinerary. They may take the SC and thus cut down on SC time and hasten the OCI delivery.

PLEASE REPLY. I am leaving for India in 10 days and need replies soon. I have already emailed and called and left messages at the embassy many times but no replies.
-----They will not send OCI if no Surrender Certificate submitted and they need $175
I had some questions about surrender certificate.........please someone who has got the surrender certificate reply.

My passports are already with the consulate. I had mailed the passports to the consulate just a day before the rule changed.

--------They have Only one Form where did you see the Second Form?
http://indiacgny.org/appl_forms/Form122.doc
----------------------One person Can submit the applications Signed by other family members. all members need to sign his her application and each member must pay $175
-Do they give the surrender certificate immediately on the same day?
------One person has posted the info in this thread that he got same day about 5 PM as he wanted to travel next day and had to show Air ticket
-Can we get OCI also same day?
----- Go to Consulate with OCI online status Printout. Inform them your passports are with them show the ticket, Submit the Form with $ 175 Bank Check or Money Order
PLEASE REPLY. I am leaving for India in 10 days and need the surrender certificate and OCI cards soon.
---- I would suggest that you go to Consulate and inform the Problem to them.
Thanks!!
Please update us after you visit the consulate.

Good Luck!!

Hi, is anyone there who is applying OCI with family? Are you sending application for surrender certificate together or separate? Are you sending one money order for 370 (175+175+20) or separate MOs?

Btw what's does dated mean on renunciation form?

I have acquired US/Foreign nationality on _______________ and consequently have obtained US/Foreign passport no. ______________ dated ________________.

Hi, is anyone there who is applying OCI with family? Are you sending application for surrender certificate together or separate? Are you sending one money order for 370 (175+175+20) or separate MOs?

I have acquired US/Foreign nationality on _______________ and consequently have obtained US/Foreign passport no. ______________ dated ________________.

Date the US passport was issued.

PLEASE REPLY. I am leaving for India in 10 days...

ram1976:
I was in a similar situation too, my OCI reached CGI NY on 07-May-2010 and the same day I mailed my passports to the consulate. They just kept my passport without doing anything and lots of emails and phone calls all went in vain, no reply whatsoever. I suppose they were getting ready to send my passports back and ask for surrender certificate.
And lucky are those people who get reply/phone-call from Mrs. Pushpa Kumar/Dr. Anju Kumar.
Anyways I went there (CGI) yesterday and boy what a mess have they created. There was a big line on the walkway outside the consulate, there are people walking everywhere (no lines) and talking so loudly. There were 3 lines for OCI and one poor person manning all the counters. whenever there was a rush at one counter he moved to the other just to avoid the questions from the public. I was sent from one counter to another until 11:30am I had not achieved anything but roaming aimlessly when I spoke real load at one counter. A man came out from inside and I told him that I have the surrender forms ready but my original passport were with them. And my OCI was granted and received on the same day when the rule came into effect...I requested him to take my surrender form and kindly issue my OCI U VISA sticker. I showed him my tickets. No use. All he did was brought my passports from inside and gave it back to me. At least that. I then applied for my Surrender Certificate and came back home.
The person at the couter who took my form XXII said it should be sent out in 4-5 days. I hope to get it back this weekend (saturday). Then I have to go mail my US passport to get U Visa sticker. The person who took my forms said if I have emergency and have tickets I could come in person and get OCI.
I pity the people who are working there...they face all the anger from people whereas people at top make the shitty rules.
I assume they have cutoff day of April 30th, meaning OCI's received (by NYCGI) until Apr30 are good to receive U Visa sticker without surrender certificate. Don't hold me on it but thats what I overheard. And why 30th Apr...may be a whole number 30 or even number??? Though they have updated the new rule on thier website only on May7th.. :(
I had with my surrender certificate forms:
1. Three copies of form XXII notarized.
2. Copy of Naturalization certificate.
3. $175 + $20
4. First 5 and last 2 pages of valid Indian Passport.

I only wish I get my surrender certificate and left with sometime to get my OCI before my travel date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing I noticed while I was at the consulate: I dont know if it was for peoplw who applied for Visa at consulate or it was TRAVISA, there is a counter for travisa right in the area where people form the line (rush). I saw so many passports lying on the table unatteded. The person working there was't there and someone accidently hit the table and many passports fell down on the ground. People around there picked them up and put it back I don;t know if it went with right application forms...
What a pity. :(

Another thing I noticed while I was at the consulate: I dont know if it was for peoplw who applied for Visa at consulate or it was TRAVISA, there is a counter for travisa right in the area where people form the line (rush). I saw so many passports lying on the table unatteded. The person working there was't there and someone accidently hit the table and many passports fell down on the ground. People around there picked them up and put it back I don;t know if it went with right application forms...

Thanks for your valuable feedback and what a mess

I had similar issue and contacted consulate, i got reply that we can submit a singlemoney order for the entire
family i.e total of - $175 for each family member plus $20 mailing fee

Documents to obtain surrender certificate

Hi,
I have to apply for surrender certificate,but not clear on documents to be submitted,

1) Indian consulate NY website says Form (to be notarized) is required,but they did not metion about the no
of copies of the form....i read in this forum that we need to submit 3 notarized forms for each applicant...

2) There are 2 places on the form where signature is required,do the applicant need to sign at both the
places or application will sign at one place and the Notary will sign at second place.Not clear on this

Appreciate the details for the above two question....
Thanks

Folks.. Some heads up.. Just heard that there is going to be a drive on May 29th and 30th where they are going to provide same day counter service for surrender cert and OCI.. The website to be updated with the information in the next 2 days.. I don't have more info on this..

Now the question would be, whether it is faster to mail and wait (or) wait till 29th and drive there..

Hi,

2) There are 2 places on the form where signature is required,do the applicant need to sign at both the
places or application will sign at one place and the Notary will sign at second place.Not clear on this

Thanks for clarifying about the MO. Also thanks to nkm-oct23.

Btw the form says "SIGN OF DECLARANT" at both places... one saying you have copy of Indian passport, and other saying the details in the form are true to your knowledge. Notary will sign in the white space :)

ram1976:
I was in a similar situation too, my OCI reached CGI NY on 07-May-2010 and the same day I mailed my passports to the consulate. They just kept my passport without doing anything and lots of emails and phone calls all went in vain, no reply whatsoever. I suppose they were getting ready to send my passports back and ask for surrender certificate.
And lucky are those people who get reply/phone-call from Mrs. Pushpa Kumar/Dr. Anju Kumar.
Anyways I went there (CGI) yesterday and boy what a mess have they created. There was a big line on the walkway outside the consulate, there are people walking everywhere (no lines) and talking so loudly. There were 3 lines for OCI and one poor person manning all the counters. whenever there was a rush at one counter he moved to the other just to avoid the questions from the public. I was sent from one counter to another until 11:30am I had not achieved anything but roaming aimlessly when I spoke real load at one counter. A man came out from inside and I told him that I have the surrender forms ready but my original passport were with them. And my OCI was granted and received on the same day when the rule came into effect...I requested him to take my surrender form and kindly issue my OCI U VISA sticker. I showed him my tickets. No use. All he did was brought my passports from inside and gave it back to me. At least that. I then applied for my Surrender Certificate and came back home.
The person at the couter who took my form XXII said it should be sent out in 4-5 days. I hope to get it back this weekend (saturday). Then I have to go mail my US passport to get U Visa sticker. The person who took my forms said if I have emergency and have tickets I could come in person and get OCI.
I pity the people who are working there...they face all the anger from people whereas people at top make the shitty rules.
I assume they have cutoff day of April 30th, meaning OCI's received (by NYCGI) until Apr30 are good to receive U Visa sticker without surrender certificate. Don't hold me on it but thats what I overheard. And why 30th Apr...may be a whole number 30 or even number??? Though they have updated the new rule on thier website only on May7th.. :(
I had with my surrender certificate forms:
1. Three copies of form XXII notarized.
2. Copy of Naturalization certificate.
3. $175 + $20
4. First 5 and last 2 pages of valid Indian Passport.

I only wish I get my surrender certificate and left with sometime to get my OCI before my travel date.

Thanks for sharing your experience.. Seems like they don't do same day service for the surrender certificate. I was thinking of going there in person (driving 300 miles) but dropped that plan after knowing your experience.. Will be sending the USPS mail today..

I saw this too when I was there. I think I also mentioned it in one of the posts. US passports stacked right there in public place. One could just grab a couple of them and none the wiser.

Thanks for sharing your experience.. Seems like they don't do same day service for the surrender certificate. I was thinking of going there in person (driving 300 miles) but dropped that plan after knowing your experience.. Will be sending the USPS mail today..

It was a 4 hrs train ride for me too. I did see that 2-3 persons waiting to receive their surrender certificate the same day and one of them said she was supposed to fly the same evening. I do not know if they received it, I left there at 2:30pm but the person at the counter where they submitted the form told them that they could pick the docs up the same day.

Also, for OCI they have put up a notice "by Mail Only", there could again be exception.

It was a 4 hrs train ride for me too. I did see that 2-3 persons waiting to receive their surrender certificate the same day and one of them said she was supposed to fly the same evening. I do not know if they received it, I left there at 2:30pm but the person at the counter where they submitted the form told them that they could pick the docs up the same day.

Also, for OCI they have put up a notice "by Mail Only", there could again be exception.

Couple of questions for you. What time you went there and were you given a ticket # to wait ? Typically, the left side wing handles the passports etc., and they have the token # but the right side where they used to issue OCI don't have any ticket #. It does look like they provide SC the same day if we prove the emergency. Otherwise, the wait game starts..

Couple of questions for you. What time you went there and were you given a ticket # to wait ? Typically, the left side wing handles the passports etc., and they have the token # but the right side where they used to issue OCI don't have any ticket #. It does look like they provide SC the same day if we prove the emergency. Otherwise, the wait game starts..

1. I reached there 9ish and some 60-70 (guessing) were in front of my in the line to enter the consulate.
2. The security guard did handover the token without even asking why I was there. And as you said only left wing (passport section) called out the token numbers. Mine was number 305 but by the time I left like 2:30 pm they were only processing 269 or so.
Right wing it was all mess, no lines, only 2 people on the counter. One for VISA and one for OCI/surrender certificate. There was another lady on Enquiry desk.

I think if you get email reply from one of these Mrs. Kumar, Mr. Bajaj...and prove it is emergency they do issue SC the sameday I think.

1. I reached there 9ish and some 60-70 (guessing) were in front of my in the line to enter the consulate.
2. The security guard did handover the token without even asking why I was there. And as you said only left wing (passport section) called out the token numbers. Mine was number 305 but by the time I left like 2:30 pm they were only processing 269 or so.
Right wing it was all mess, no lines, only 2 people on the counter. One for VISA and one for OCI/surrender certificate. There was another lady on Enquiry desk.

I think if you get email reply from one of these Mrs. Kumar, Mr. Bajaj...and prove it is emergency they do issue SC the sameday I think.

Thanks again for the information. Appreciate that..

Folks.. Some heads up.. Just heard that there is going to be a drive on May 29th and 30th where they are going to provide same day counter service for surrender cert and OCI.. The website to be updated with the information in the next 2 days.. I don't have more info on this..

Now the question would be, whether it is faster to mail and wait (or) wait till 29th and drive there..
Could you please share the source of this information. I will wait and go do it in person rather than mail it if I can.