OCI - New York Tracker

You are correct but I learnt it only after I renewed the passport and was asked to file for Misc. Services. I do have a valid tourist Visa on which I have travelled previously. Hopefully, if my surrender Certificate comes in time and OCI gets granted, I may be able to use that for my trip in July.

I think you complicated the matter. Your Online registration application for OCI that you submitted had Different US passport number and then you renewed your US passport and again logged to Misc. services online Application and sent Application. You could have done that AFTER you got OCI and could have traveled with OCI Visa in Expired US passport and New US passport and OCI Card.
I seems to me that you are US Citizen more than 10 years and may have traveled to India in past with Visa. Do you know if one gets ENTRY VISA(X) need to do the Registration in India with FRRO if stay is less than 180 days?

You are correct but I learnt it only after I renewed the passport and was asked to file for Misc. Services. I do have a valid tourist Visa on which I have travelled previously. Hopefully, if my surrender Certificate comes in time and OCI gets granted, I may be able to use that for my trip in July.

You have traveled to India in past with Visa. Do you know if one gets ENTRY VISA(X) need to do the Registration in India with FRRO if stay is less than 180 days?

I just noted that they need $175 AND Additional $20 for mailing charges for surrender Certificate . I remember reading only $175may be my mistake or they updated today on NYC site.

You have traveled to India in past with Visa. Do you know if one gets EN
TRY VISA(X) need to do the Registration in India with FRRO if stay is less than 180 days?

I have travelled in the past with Tourist Visa which did not have any requirement if the stay was less 180 days above that required registration with Local Police Station. Just recently learnt about Entry VISA.

I just noted that they need $175 AND Additional $20 for mailing charges for surrender Certificate . I remember reading only $175may be my mistake or they updated today on NYC site.

It is there from the beginning.. $175 for the process and $20 for sending back the passport and the gold-plated :mad: surrender cert !!

It is there from the beginning.. $175 for the process and $20 for sending back the passport and the gold-plated :mad: surrender cert !!
Thanks for correcting my mistake.
FYI surrender Certificate is not gold-plated it is Platinum plated :)with all the NYC consulate Staff photographs laughing at you :)and they also send a Gold Medal of 1Kg that has India Map and Prabu Dayal Photo at Top then Mr Bajaj at Center and Mrs. Pushpa Kumar in North part of India map and Anju Kumar also in North India map, Mr Gondane in Maharashta state of Indian state:)

Did you type in your answers on the form or print it in by hand? Not sure if it really mattered unless of course your handwriting is illegible. For the signatures at the bottom, are both of those meant to be of the applicant or is the second one for the notary?

I typed in my answers, shrunk the whole form into one page. Took three copies to the notary, I myself signed at both places on the form, got all three copies notarized.

Just confirming

form is triplicate
rest is 1 copy each
are you all sending copy of US passport?

This is what I am sending, maybe an overkill but given what all happened in the last two weeks I don't want to take chances

I. Set 1:
  • form - notarized
  • copy of India passport (relevant pages) - self attested
  • naturalization certificate - self attested
  • copy of US passport (1 page) - self attested

II. Set 2: same four documents from set 1
III. Set 3: same four documents from set 1

IV. Original India passport

V. Money order for $175 + $20

Topping it off with a cover letter.

I am going to feel really sick if I don't my surrender certificate after doing all this

Last edited by a moderator:
About Surrender Certificate Application for Minor

Does anyone has insight into who can sign the application for minors. Do we need to fill the kids name in the first line stating I, Kid..... and then the parents can sign for Declarant? Do both parents need to sign? (I remember for passport renewal they asked for both parents to sign)

Thanks much
Mera Bharat Mahaan!

Thanks for correcting my mistake.
FYI surrender Certificate is not gold-plated it is Platinum plated :)with all the NYC consulate Staff photographs laughing at you :)and they also send a Gold Medal of 1Kg that has India Map and Prabu Dayal Photo at Top then Mr Bajaj at Center and Mrs. Pushpa Kumar in North part of India map and Anju Kumar also in North India map, Mr Gondane in Maharashta state of Indian state:)

Actually they got to be plaque made out of precious mineral called unobtanium from Pandora:)
this guys didn't give a damn after folks from New Zeland and South Africa complained about the process and fee structure

Does anyone has insight into who can sign the application for minors. Do we need to fill the kids name in the first line stating I, Kid..... and then the parents can sign for Declarant? Do both parents need to sign? (I remember for passport renewal they asked for both parents to sign)

Thanks much
Mera Bharat Mahaan!
Dear you did not post Dr Anju kumar Email ID. Can you post her Email ID so that others can contact her?
Thanks

This is what I am sending, maybe an overkill but given what all happened in the last two weeks I don't want to take chances

I. Set 1:
  • form - notarized
    ---------They did not ask Copy of US passport, Copy of naturalization certificate is asked so that they know when you got US citizenship

I am going to feel really sick if I don't my surrender certificate after doing all this

----------

Does anyone has insight into who can sign the application for minors.
----Send Form with child thumb impressions as they take that on OCI application form and if child can Sign let the child sign. Also send Form signed by Father/Mother. They have not posted info for minors.

Do we need to fill the kids name in the first line stating I, Kid..... and then the parents can sign for Declarant?
---write kid name, birth place, Indian passport number and all the info asked on form
Do both parents need to sign? (I remember for passport renewal they asked for both parents to sign)
------you both can sign write your name (father of XYZ) then Sign. My friend Kid applied for OCI and Kid was born in US and Kid had PIO and on OCI application Kid put his thumb impressions. Kid OCI was approved and my friend sent letter to collect the OCI and Signed letter with his Signature and still NYC has not sent OCI card of Kid that they recieved in NYC in Last week of April.
Thanks much
Mera Bharat Mahaan!
--------------Thanks for the email of Anju Kumar.

I. Set 1:
  • form - notarized

Good luck !! At the same time, I also wish no Indian consulate authority to read your post .. If so, we all know whom to blame if they decide to include all these as new requirements .... ;-)

docs for surrender certificate

Good luck !! At the same time, I also wish no Indian consulate authority to read your post .. If so, we all know whom to blame if they decide to include all these as new requirements .... ;-)

TRAVISTA has copy of US passport on its website in addtion to the other stuff mentioned in CGI-NY page for surrender form.

Nothing is an overkill for CGI-NY

Arjun

PLEASE REPLY. I am leaving for India in 10 days and need replies soon. I have already emailed and called and left messages at the embassy many times but no replies.

I had some questions about surrender certificate.........please someone who has got the surrender certificate reply.

My passports are already with the consulate. I had mailed the passports to the consulate just a day before the rule changed.

-Do they allow in-person processing for Surrender certificate?
-There are 2 forms on the consulate website, depending on where you click from. Which form do we need to fill for Surrender certificate- Form XXII or Declaration of Renunciation form?
-Can only one person go in to get the surrender certificate for the entire family or do all family members need to go to get it?
-Do they give the surrender certificate immediately on the same day?
-Can we get OCI also same day?

PLEASE REPLY. I am leaving for India in 10 days and need the surrender certificate and OCI cards soon.

Thanks!!