OCI - New York Tracker

Based on their website and couple of messages from the forum, seems like they have completely stopped any personal visits to the consulate regarding the OCI.

Life was better two weeks back - where we go in the morning , drop of the US passport, go back @ 12:45 and pick up the OCI card and the passport with U sticker !! Now everything is via mail only..

My (hopefully ) 3 weeks of agony starts now.. 2 for surrender certificate and 1 for getting OCI .. :
----------Do you mean they will send you surrender certificate in 2 weeks from the date the get Form, Fees175 and Passport? We still don’t have confirmed info that anyone got surrender certificate in 2 weeks from mailing date.
certificate and 1 for getting OCI .. :
---Do you have info if one will get OCI in week if you send surrender certificate
Again you have to send US passport, Indian passport, surrender certificate and have to pay $20. What I don’t understand is if one has got surrender certificate and Indian passport cancelled why again they need to send Indian Passport for OCI collection?

One can send Copy of surrender certificate and US passport for Visa sticker.
Try to ask them or send them emails so that they clear the info on site.

(
--------------

surrender certificate

Can one drop off the surrender certificate at the consulate?

Also, Ginnu did you say that one of the declrant signatures an be deleted?
Arjun

Renunciation of Indian Citizenship - couple of clarifications

I received an email from Dr Anju Kumar today for 2 clarifications I had seeked. I am sharing here for everyone's benefit. If you already know it, please excuse me and ignore the post.
------Can you post the Email ID of Dr Anju Kumar? we have all the Email ID of Mr Bajaj, Mrs Pushpa Kumar, Prabu Dayal in this thread but we dont have her Email ID. It will be help to others if they need to send Email to Anju Kumar.
1. I was not sure if a separate application is needed for each family member, including minors. She clarified that a separate application is needed alongwith fee of $175 for each
-That is Clear if one had Indian passport or Indian Citizenship one need separate application and separate Fee to get surrender certificate
2. As the minor does not have a naturalization certificate, I was not sure how to comply with the requirement on the form. She clarified that the copy of US Passwort will suffice.
----- If child is Born in US and Has PIO based on Parent being Indian Citizen then that Chil apply OCI then no need of
surrender certificate as Child did not had any Indian passport or Indian Citizenship. if OCI for that Child reach NYC then only $20 fees and one should send PIO Card+ US passport and OCI status online printout

Thanks.
---------------

Can one drop off the surrender certificate at the consulate?
--nobody knows they did not posdt FAQ for collection of OCI.if you mail then send surrender certificate, US passport and OCI online Status and $20. If you plan to go take all with you and give what they ask and clear the info and Post so that others know what to do.
Also, Ginnu did you say that one of the declrant signatures an be deleted?
------------- Where on What form? The Form Posted by NYC ask signature at two places but form Posted by Travisa ask your one signature on the Form. I asked Travisa and they say Send Form posted on Travisa site or the form on NYC consulate site for Visa stamp and surrender certificate.
Arjun
----------------------

CAN ANYONE TELL what after receiving Surrender Certificate? What triggers OCI status to continue progressing? Do they proceed after We mail back Surrender Certifiace to OCI Cell? Thoughts?????

Post what is status of your OCI and according to your OCI status we will guide you if we have any info

OCI Status

Current Status says Signatures/photo printed May 7th
Under process
Date of Ack May 7
Nothing else has changed. Received email saying need surrender cert to proceed. I have mailed docs for surrender cert. Now waiting and need to understand what to expect next....

Thanks for any input

Post what is status of your OCI and according to your OCI status we will guide you if we have any info

One more thing, my OCI was originally approved. I made mistake of renewing US passport when I went to receive. They did not provide OCI and had to file Misc. Services. Misc. Services was acknowledged and signature/phote scanned on May 7th. Sent for Surrender cert by mail.

Current Status says Signatures/photo printed May 7th
--------------------That is wring info they don’t print Signature/Photo. Online status should show SCANNED after Scanned then it will be GRANTED in 4-6 days then after 5-7 days status should be PRINTED then Delhi has to mail it to NYC and from Dispatch date it will take 10-12 days and NYC will update the status RECIVED on XXX.
***You have enough time for OCI. You should send your Passport for cancellation and for Surrender certificate to NYC

Under process
Date of Ack May 7
Nothing else has changed. Received email saying need surrender cert to proceed. I have mailed docs for surrender cert. Now waiting and need to understand what to expect next....

Thanks for any input
---------------

Oh sorry, I think Trombly said he/she had shrunk the form to 1 page... I will usse the form on the website.

Thanks

Arjun

I did the same. Deleted extra spaces here and there, shrunk the whole form into one page. Getting 3 copies notarized is a lot to ask for free from the notary at the bank, why create more work with 2 pages each

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same. Deleted extra spaces here and there, shrunk the whole form into one page. Getting 3 copies notarized is a lot to ask for free from the notary at the bank, why create more work with 2 pages each

Just confirming

form is triplicate
rest is 1 copy each
are you all sending copy of US passport?

I applied for OCI and the documents are reached to NY on May 10th 2010. I send my Indian passport and US passport on 11th may 2010. i don't know about the Renunciation/Surrender certificate. I dont have copies of Indian passport with me so they asked me to send the notarized affidavit. How and where do i get this notarized affidavit? pl. help me in this regard. Thanks in advance

I applied for OCI and the documents are reached to NY on May 10th 2010. I send my Indian passport and US passport on 11th may 2010. i don't know about the Renunciation/Surrender certificate. I dont have copies of Indian passport with me so they asked me to send the notarized affidavit. How and where do i get this notarized affidavit? pl. help me in this regard. Thanks in advance

I think it is on the consulate website or it may be on the travista site as well.
Arjun

OCI Status

---------------

You are right and thanks for those corrections. Earlier, the process was exactly what you defined as I went thru OCI approval. Now since I have applied for Misc. services to get OCI transferred on the new US passport, Since May 7th, the status has not changed. I am not sure if the status will progress further after receiving Surrender Certificate.

Did you type in your answers on the form or print it in by hand? Not sure if it really mattered unless of course your handwriting is illegible. For the signatures at the bottom, are both of those meant to be of the applicant or is the second one for the notary?

Did you type in your answers on the form or print it in by hand? Not sure if it really mattered unless of course your handwriting is illegible. For the signatures at the bottom, are both of those meant to be of the applicant or is the second one for the notary?
I am planning to get one notarized once and then photocopy thrice. (Did shrink it to one page though to make it easier on trees).

I am planning to get one notarized once and then photocopy thrice. (Did shrink it to one page though to make it easier on trees).

I would get 3 notarized copies. If they needed 3 copies of notarized document, they could have copied it themselves.

Did you type in your answers on the form or print it in by hand? Not sure if it really mattered unless of course your handwriting is illegible. For the signatures at the bottom,
are both of those meant to be of the applicant or is the second one for the notary?
--------meant to be of the applicant
----

You are right and thanks for those corrections. Earlier, the process was exactly what you defined as I went thru OCI approval. Now since I have applied for Misc. services to get OCI transferred on the new US passport, Since May 7th, the status has not changed. I am not sure if the status will progress further after receiving Surrender Certificate.
I think you complicated the matter. Your Online registration application for OCI that you submitted had Different US passport number and then you renewed your US passport and again logged to Misc. services online Application and sent Application. You could have done that AFTER you got OCI and could have traveled with OCI Visa in Expired US passport and New US passport and OCI Card.
I seems to me that you are US Citizen more than 10 years and may have traveled to India in past with Visa. Do you know if one gets ENTRY VISA(X) need to do the Registration in India with FRRO if stay is less than 180 days?